Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

howe_sam posted:

It's hard to argue against Aaron's 755 home runs (even if you include his war years Ted wouldn't have gotten to that number), and i'm looking forward to reading about a player I know next to nothing about in Oscar Charleston.

You're right, Aaron is amazing and almost certainly the most underrated of the inner circle Hall of Famers. I can't begrudge him being ahead of the Kid, especially since it's not my list. But man, Williams was SO good with the bat that it doesn't matter he was an indifferent fielder and merely average baserunner.

I'm also extremely excited to read about Charleston, my knowledge of him is pretty limited as just "one of the best players of all time who played mainly in the 1920s and was Willie Mays before Willie Mays."

Brian Daubach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blossommirage posted:

I can't blame them, honestly. This entire situation is hosed up, they gotta retain as many customers as they can.

They absolutely SHOULD cancel them automatically, but why would a company care about doing the right thing?

I can absolutely blame them

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

habeasdorkus posted:

Brian Daubach!

We’re pretty lax with the “good” aspect of the original tweet aren’t we

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
So I’m curious, what does everyone mean when they say “inner circle” of the Hall? Top 10? 20?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
See you can think of the Hall of Fame in anatomical terms. You’ve got your areola guys, and you’ve got your inner circle nipple guys,

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Random thing: remember when Kenny Rogers went after a camerman for no reason, and no one ever really made a big deal about it?

https://twitter.com/si_vault/status/128485250971082752

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Red posted:

Random thing: remember when Kenny Rogers went after a camerman for no reason, and no one ever really made a big deal about it?

immediately picturing that camera getting stuck to his hand

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't stop thinking about the Ataris playing their terrible Boys of Summer cover before the 2003 home run derby and changing the lyric to say they saw a White Sox sticker on a cadillac

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red posted:

turns out he didn't know when to walk away after all

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're drafting either as an 18 year old and you know how their careers will go I think you'd have to be crazy to take Ted over Willie, and I say this as one who really, really loves Ted Williams.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bewbies posted:

If you're drafting either as an 18 year old and you know how their careers will go I think you'd have to be crazy to take Ted over Willie, and I say this as one who really, really loves Ted Williams.

Well, wait, does Ted come along with missing time to fight in wars?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

gently caress Trot Nixon

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Well, wait, does Ted come along with missing time to fight in wars?

nope, same for willie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shane victirino was really good

And then he died. Rip.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Poque posted:

Jason Schmidt but honestly he might have only had a few good seasons

very similarly, Russ Ortiz

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jenrry Mejia was meant to be the Mets' closer for like the next decade, and then he got banned for doing steroids.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

very similarly, Russ Ortiz

I am now remembering the number of times I was burned by starting Russ Ortiz in fantasy baseball.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ortizru01.shtml - huh, I guess he was supremely average.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I had no clue that Ted Williams was Mexican, that essay was so good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was born in San Diego ?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

euphronius posted:

He was born in San Diego ?

yeah, but given the name and all I wouldn't have assumed

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I can't stop thinking about the Ataris playing their terrible Boys of Summer cover before the 2003 home run derby and changing the lyric to say they saw a White Sox sticker on a cadillac

Just :lol: if you never had roommates in an Ataris or Alkaline Trio cover band.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/SportsNetLA/status/1245390639929233409

Meanwhile,we're entering YEAR EIGHT of the Astros not being on my local cable provider :negative:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Remember Brian Wilson and his stupid beard?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone else bored and want to share random baseball stuff in our ret-conned home offices?

Fenway pennant from childhood and my 3 little league home run balls.

Best Manny photo ever and a wood etching of the original patent for a baseball.

Close-up of the wood etching.

Mo Vaughn plaque I bought at a yard sale behind the cat tree.

"Intimidation"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/FletchDaddy22/status/1244871992496361472

I said Magglio Ordonez, because I randomly thought of him and his numbers are loving obscene.

Tim fuckin Lincecum. Outside the Bay Area he's a ghost, a specter, a boogieman made up to scare Padres fans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shawn Greene also

Brian Giles

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone else bored and want to share random baseball stuff in our ret-conned home offices?

Fenway pennant from childhood and my 3 little league home run balls.

Best Manny photo ever and a wood etching of the original patent for a baseball.

Close-up of the wood etching.

Mo Vaughn plaque I bought at a yard sale behind the cat tree.

"Intimidation"

My weight room has autographed Stan, Gibby, Ozzie and Albert jerseys on the wall but lawyers are apparently “essential” in Illinois so I’m still Blue Lining it downtown every day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Good Dog posted:

Remember Brian Wilson and his stupid beard?

no, only Brian Wilson and his amazing beard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pancakes posted:

My weight room has autographed Stan, Gibby, Ozzie and Albert jerseys on the wall but lawyers are apparently “essential” in Illinois so I’m still Blue Lining it downtown every day.

My brother is an attorney in Chicago and he's been working from home for two weeks, are you not able to do your work at home?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All my home baseball memorabilia is cheater-related except for a José Lima signed foul ball and a pair of signed Brooks Robinson and Craig Biggio bats.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't really have memorabilia more just a bunch of poo poo I've accumulated from playing over the years.

My pile-o-bats

Some art my Dad got for me out in Seattle.

This bat is very special to me, from the 2017 season where I hit .395 for the year primarily with this bat until it broke a the end of the season.

The ball on the left was given to me by my manager the first year I played in a wood bat league and is from my first base hit. The ball on the right is from a different league, a game last season where I played every position in a single game.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

FlamingLiberal posted:

My brother is an attorney in Chicago and he's been working from home for two weeks, are you not able to do your work at home?

My girlfriend doesn’t have an exemption and is on the phone all the time for her job. I also have to be on the phone for court now that the physical courtrooms are shut down (I’m in court right now). It would be a big logistics hassle to have both of us working from home.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Most of my memorabilia pieces are in boxes in a closet. If I get really bored, I'll drag them out and photograph.

Len Barker autographed photo and a broken bat from a 1960s spring training game my dad attended. It was originally Ken Boyer's bat, but apparently belonged to Bill White at the time of breakage as his name is written in marker over Boyer's. Also, a fan given out at Braves games to celebrate Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren, I think just after TBS booted them for not understanding that longstanding Braves announcers were going to naturally root for the Braves.

Bob Feller's signature is most prominent on the ball, but it was also signed by Herb Score, both at Cleveland's spring training in 1995.

drat, Joe Charboneau was a phenomenon.

Some relatives went to Russia in the mid-1990s and brought back nesting dolls.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Most of my memorabilia is at work, primarily the various gnomes I've gotten over the last few years

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bewbies posted:

Same. Ted made an effort later on to try a little defensively, but for the majority of his career he was sort of a loafer out there. Mays was one of the greatest CF of all time, and could run the bases as well.

IMO Mays is the best "complete" ballplayer of all time. Had Mantle not had the injuries and alcoholism, he might have exceeded Mays in this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Here is my best baseball memorabilia

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
All I have are 2 Sammy Sosa autographs and a bunch of framed Cubs magazines/Newspaper articles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/SportsNetLA/status/1245390639929233409

Meanwhile,we're entering YEAR EIGHT of the Astros not being on my local cable provider :negative:

Flip it upside down and play your garbage can like the bongos and you have the same effect.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Matt Adams and Kyle Schwarber weigh the same, have the same career bWAR and approximately the same number of career dingers. :eng101:

Kyle Schwarber did it in 639 fewer PAs :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I hate both of them