Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is a good read if you're bored and genuinely lol that bill gates hosted a simulation of a coronavirus pandemic in october

https://twitter.com/_whitneywebb/status/1245372101596532736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I have a very important question.

It's clear to everybody that Pot Noodle have been defrauding us all for years with regular sized sauce sachets in king sized pots. But clearly they're not going to change course and redress this injustice right now, so my question is: what happens if you squirt some regular tomato sauce into a beef and tomato pot noodle along with their special sachet of sauce?Does it work? Or do they have a special formula of sauce to be mixed in hot water?

Asking for a friend.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

communism bitch posted:

It's clear to everybody that Pot Noodle have been defrauding us all for years with regular sized sauce sachets in king sized pots. But clearly they're not going to change course and redress this injustice right now, so my question is: what happens if you squirt some regular tomato sauce into a beef and tomato pot noodle along with their special sachet of sauce?Does it work? Or do they have a special formula of sauce to be mixed in hot water?

Asking for a friend.

Legit 100% how rona started. Don't gently caress with forces you don't understand

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

The Economist?

:v:

No, we talked about it in the last thread, the phenomenon of seeing something you know about being discussed in a shallow and mostly incorrect way, but then not thinking the same may be true of the rest of the articles you know less about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pesky Splinter posted:

Shamless self-promotion

This is great and I retweeted it before even noticing it was by a goon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Very interesting article on The Physics of Public Opinion from January's Physics World.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-physics-of-public-opinion/

Not quoting whole article, but just a short extract. Read the whole if you're interested.

quote:

Majority rules yielding minority spreading

Galam has spent most of his career explaining the kind of unexpected results that seem to periodically arise in politics and public debate. He ascribes this to “minority opinion spreading”, where an initial vocal minority turns a majority towards its position. Rather than being a response to a specific political issue, Galam says this is a sociological phenomenon that can be modelled along a similar path used in statistical physics to reach global behaviour from local interactions.

Galam’s model uses a majority-rule-based approach, with repeated local small group discussions occurring within the network. Think of these as the real-life lunches, coffee breaks and dinner parties where people discuss the news. During these encounters, people change their views to follow the local majority, unless faced with an equal opinion split within the group. In the latter case, people are likely to support the position that offers the least change or is in tune with their unconscious prejudices (Eur. Phys. J. B 25 403). As a result, over a number of updates and continuing debates, opinions shift to support the status quo or the opinion in tune with the activated prejudices.

An opinion that starts in the minority can quickly spread as long as it is above a base threshold. Galam suggests this threshold is just above 23% for groups of four people. In other words, although some groups of four start with no-one holding the minority view, over a series of updates a person will encounter split groups, causing a switch to the minority position. And after each update, the proportion of people holding the minority view will increase. Getting to a final point happens remarkably quickly. “In all cases the number of updates is less than 10,” Galam says. However, transposing that to real time would need an understanding of the speed of each update, which will increase, for example, as an election comes closer. One update could be between a few days and one to two weeks.

I did download Foundation (Asimov) a few months ago to reread as in the context of facebook and so on's algorithms, I was thinking of Hari Seldon's psychohistory (and wondering who 'The Mutant' was in our society) - but I haven't got round to it yet!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 1, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

Pot Noodle

Wachter posted:

Don't gently caress with forces you don't understand

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Labour elections finish tomorrow, I'm looking at Jo Bird and Cecile Wright for the NEC positions. Any strong reasons to go for Lauren Townsend or someone else instead before I click submit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

:o you have the forbidden blood type. that's the good one.
O- is even better (for donating, but not if you need blood).

What's the weird astrology thing they do with blood types in Japan?

The alchemist discovering pots for us.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bobstar posted:

What was the name of the thing where you read about your own subject in the newspaper, laugh at how wrong it is, then read the other things?
Gell-Mann amnesia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wachter posted:

Legit 100% how rona started. Don't gently caress with forces you don't understand

Read that as ronya for a sec

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

big scary monsters posted:

Labour elections finish tomorrow, I'm looking at Jo Bird and Cecile Wright for the NEC positions. Any strong reasons to go for Lauren Townsend or someone else instead before I click submit?

Well neither are the Momentum candidates and I can understand Bird but why Wright?

Jose posted:

this is a good read if you're bored and genuinely lol that bill gates hosted a simulation of a coronavirus pandemic in october

Cool conspiracy theory brah

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

Read that as ronya for a sec

Like if the flying spaghetti monster got a 1st on their PPE degree?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Got a warning from work today telling staff to avoid homeless people, as without food and drugs they've become desperate and violent.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

O- is even better (for donating, but not if you need blood).

What's the weird astrology thing they do with blood types in Japan?

Blood type personality theory.

It's why all those fake character bios in JRPGs will often list it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

TBF WOrld of Warcraft hosted one in 2005.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

pumpinglemma posted:

Gell-Mann amnesia.

Perfect, thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RossLydall/status/1245290894913306624

Probably fine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Blood type personality theory.

It's why all those fake character bios in JRPGs will often list it.

quote:

Takeji Furukawa (1927), 血液型と気質 Blood Type and Temperament - in Europe, type A is more common than type B, while in Asia type B is more prevalent, so Europeans insisted A races are superior to B races. A Japanese scholar, Takeji Furukawa opposed that idea and asserted that B persons were active while A persons were passive.
"Euros are full of racist bullshit, let's make some racist bullshit of our own" is very 20th c. Japan.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
NEW BINKY: The Outtakes

https://youtu.be/EzxcuBJUE7E

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Don't take this as a claim to precarity, cos I know a lot of people have it harder and we'll do OK eventually I guess but I have to vent. Took a mortgage holiday and they've taken the bastard payment anyway. There goes a huge chunk of the budget, right there. So we're scrambling round to work out how to cover things and hoping they fix their fuckup.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Julio Cruz posted:

turns out that your experience is not in fact representative of 60 million people

Turns out the observation smoking is a cultural norm in Italian society is not necessarily racist :thumbsup:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Turns out the observation smoking is a cultural norm in Italian society is not necessarily racist :thumbsup:

turns out that observing something a few times does not in fact make it a "cultural norm"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Probably my own biases here but electrics is fairly straightforward as long as you turn everything off at the breaker before starting and know what breaker controls what.

Yeah no offence mate but these electricity posts of your are hilarious, if normos try to do any of this poo poo they'll kill themselves and set the house on fire. As a normo, lemme ask you just two questions to illustrate what I mean:

1) Wtf is a breaker?
2) Where is it? (Hint: the building I live in was built in "approximately 1880" and is in England)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What is the difference between the o negative and o positive blood?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have a fusebox instead? I figured they'd all have been retrofitted with breakers now if only because having to keep a supply of fuses is annoying. And also people are tempted to jam bits of metal in there if they don't have a fuse.

Generally it's near your electric meter, or in a cupboard somewhere, often under the stairs.

Basically if the electric goes, where is the box you have to fiddle with to make it go on again?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

communism bitch posted:

Asking for a friend.

Get shin ranyum and stop being a deviant

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Crankit posted:

What is the difference between the o negative and o positive blood?

o- is mdma and o+ is speed

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Gum posted:

o- is mdma and o+ is speed

I'm not 100% sure I follow, unless it's a joke where you're taking blood as a drug?

what it really boils down to, is I want to know if the O+ guys get invited to the special donations too or if that's only for O- people?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't even realise fuse boxes were still legal, I thought over the last several decades everyone changed to breakers? I'm in an 1882 tenement in Scotland and it had breakers installed at least 20 years ago, judging by the inspection dates written on it from when this was a student flat.

Certainly you never hear people talk about fuse boxes like they did in my childhood.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

950k universal credit claims since lockdown started

Whole lot of people about to learn how bad benefits are

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

marktheando posted:

I didn't even realise fuse boxes were still legal, I thought over the last several decades everyone changed to breakers? I'm in an 1882 tenement in Scotland and it had breakers installed at least 20 years ago, judging by the inspection dates written on it from when this was a student flat.

Certainly you never hear people talk about fuse boxes like they did in my childhood.

It's a quirk of BS7671 that electrical installations only need to be kept in line with the version of the regs they were installed under.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

marktheando posted:

We call our box full of breakers the fuse box.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Crankit posted:

I'm not 100% sure I follow, unless it's a joke where you're taking blood as a drug?

what it really boils down to, is I want to know if the O+ guys get invited to the special donations too or if that's only for O- people?

o- is the poo poo you want but o+ is the next best thing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have a fusebox instead? I figured they'd all have been retrofitted with breakers now if only because having to keep a supply of fuses is annoying. And also people are tempted to jam bits of metal in there if they don't have a fuse.

Generally it's near your electric meter, or in a cupboard somewhere, often under the stairs.

Basically if the electric goes, where is the box you have to fiddle with to make it go on again?

My electric meter isn't even in this building

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Crankit posted:

From my limited googling it would appear O+ can be used for anyone with + blood (ie A+, B+, AB+, O+) whereas O- can be given to anyone positive or negative, but they can only receive from O-.

This is making me realise I should donate more, especially as my wife can’t donate as she’s received a transfusion in the past.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Sure but when it goes you don't have to rummage around and fish out another fuse to put in it and pray it's not gonna do it again cos that was the last one :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I call them breakers because it's important to be accurate it reminds me of the circuit breaker scene in Jurassic Park.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
(o- is universal, o+ can be given to anyone who isn't a -)

E: a - as in someone with a negative blood type, not just A-. Realised that was a bit ambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

950k universal credit claims since lockdown started

Whole lot of people about to learn how bad benefits are

But aren't they going to be £20 per month better than pre-crisis? Riches beyond the dreams of avarice.