Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also my workplace send out constant reminders, Make sure you use vacation time if you get sick from CV!

If you use up your vacation time then make sure to use unpaid leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/mccakela/status/1242890627919962123

:negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lawman 0 posted:

century of humiliation

We're not owned! We insist as we slowly transform into a wasteland.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Marx Headroom posted:

have u ever been reading about some tragedy or massacre on wikipedia where they can only give estimates on how many people died

Whoa

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
in 50 years some egghead phd student will comb through the records and "American pandemic casualties were likely far worse than reported" will be the #5 most read story on a slow news day

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

etalian posted:

Also my workplace send out constant reminders, Make sure you use vacation time if you get sick from CV!

If you use up your vacation time then make sure to use unpaid leave.

hooray, it's bring your roni to work week at your workplace

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Marx Headroom posted:

in 50 years some egghead phd student will comb through the records and "American pandemic casualties were likely far worse than reported" will be the #5 most read story on a slow news day

It takes around 5-7 years for the full AAR style pandemic stuff to come out.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

lmao can you sue your employer for forcing you to work?

Not if its at will baby!!!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1245433474569457664?s=20

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the correct nomenclature is corona-senpai because i hope it will notice me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know everyone else found this one out when they watched it like 2 week ago but I'm watching "Contagion" right now and

It's almost like "Idiocracy" "Contagion" was a documentary.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is it edgy if I go buy rice a roni on my next shopping trip?

Also if you're reading this you aren't part of the 600+ people in the US that died today, friends. And I hope you never are.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Also if you're reading this you aren't part of the 600+ people in the US that died today, friends. And I hope you never are.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

How come the US is the only place where kids are dying.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pussy Quipped posted:

we live in hellworld op

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it edgy if I go buy rice a roni on my next shopping trip?

depending on where you live, just making a shopping trip could be edgy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

lol gonna be a 2020 buzzfeed end of the year recap article

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's gonna be open eugenics against the disabled, not-so-open eugenics against minorities.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Pussy Quipped posted:

we probably have the most cases (other than maybe China? who knows??), which means we're going to have the most edge cases.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

A few hundred years from now (If the US even exsists) they will probably have a museum with mass grave skeletons they were buried with their red MAGA hats.

Will be easy to explain to the kids that this weird quack medicine believing death cult was poorly equipped to deal with a pandemic.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Pussy Quipped posted:

because we overwhelmingly have the most cases

if 1 out of a 1,000,000 infected kids die, you're gonna see that 1 appear in the place with the 1,000,000

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/hollyotterbein/status/1245389538983321603

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

they are bipaps. that company just likes calling them vpaps because of marketing. they are trash for idiots.

i'm not a doctor, but have worked with medical devices before and still work with components for them, to elaborate a little bit CPAPs, BiPAPs and "non invasive ventilators" are what resmed makes. all of these devices rely on a mask on the face of the patient for air delivery (hence the non invasive part), and all of them can have supplemental oxygen added.

a cpap provides a constant amount of pressure above ambient to keep your airway open. these devices measure pressure as a depth of water for whatever reason; a cpap will be able to be set at a single pressure something like 5 cm H2O and 20 cm H2O. because the pressure doesn't change, your lungs(/diaphram/whatever , i'm an EE not a MD) are still working as hard as they'd be before. the mask you're wearing allows outside air in and out.

a bipap is similar to a cpap but it detects when you are inhaling or exhaling and changes the pressure. this does make it a little bit easier to breath. the change is going to be from like 15 cm H2O to 10 cm H2O or something (or idk doctors/nurses can correct these numbers I just have seen examples). otherwise it functions similarly to a CPAP. resmed's CPAPs and BiPAPs look near identical, it wouldn't surprise me if resmed's just differ by software load. you're still wearing the same mask as you would for a cpap and the air you're breathing in and out is the ambient air in the room (or air in the room with a little bit of extra oxygen)

a non invasive ventilator (at least, one that might look like what musk donated) is extending a bipap to the widest possible pressure range but still has all the limitations of the cpap/bipap with regards to the actual air being used. these will cycle between (almost) 0 pressure (ie ambient) and the full pressure for a breath - something like 30 cm H2O and do this for every breath. this is much, much more demanding than the couple of cm H2O pressure changes in the CPAP/BiPAP. this also means that the machine is going to be providing most of the air the patient is breathing in and will actually measure and report what that volume is. inhaled air and exhaled air is still drawn in from and vented into the room though.

a "normal" ventilator at the hospital in contrast to a portable like i described above will be a closed circuit. that means that not only is the amount of air controlled, but the composition is too. the exhaled air is also captured by the machine completing the circuit. this means that an anesthesiologist can add anesthetic gas to the breathing supply and whatever else they do (again, EE, not MD). the doctors are saying that this is the only thing that has a chance of helping a covid 19 patient.

tldr: musk donated something that even if it worked would spread the virus throughout the room its in at pressure.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Well I'd like to think medical professionals aren't into eugenics as they dedicate their lives to saving people but I guess there can always be a few bad apples. Kind of scary to think about. Up to now the only triage I've heard of has been not choosing to put really old people on ventilators since they are not likely to ever get off of them. But I'm sure plenty of tricky decisions are being made and will be even more as time goes on. With probably not a lot of oversight. It's just up to the doctors and other health care personnel. Huh

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

JohnnySavs posted:

I've been wondering about the inevitable plentitude of wrongful death and other covid-19 liability lawsuits. Is this all going to get swept under the force majeure rug, or is there some precedent for holding parties accountable for knowingly putting people at risk of death due to disease?

Obvs the State will be immune to lawsuits, but what about poo poo like this? I suppose establishing a direct link to damages is difficult.

the state isn't immune to lawsuits, though??

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

There are people working in this country who are not at will? What?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dustcat posted:

depending on where you live, just making a shopping trip could be edgy

About half an hour outside of Augusta, GA. A kindgoon was nice enough to link me a food help thingy but they don't deliver this far out. I'm an asthmatic with MS and a bunch of other health problems but I'm also only 33. But I'm also round like a pumpkin. Will I die on my upcoming food trip sometime later this week? who knows! I have amazing folks willing to ship me stuff but I need stuff that can't be shipped (like hay). I also have n95 masks and gloves, so maybe not!

This shouldn't be a concern in a 1st world country, though :lol:

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
All the news I'm seeing posted by chuds and non chuds alike right now is about china hiding numbers citing unnamed sources about a unseen report. USA absolutely gonna start a war over this lol all hail number

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

Will be easy to explain to the kids that this weird quack medicine believing death cult was poorly equipped to deal with a pandemic.

well ysee america was highly diverse, and that made it difficult to implement health precautions...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

703 posted:

All the news I'm seeing posted by chuds and non chuds alike right now is about china hiding numbers citing unnamed sources about a unseen report. USA absolutely gonna start a war over this lol all hail number

bible belt pastors in the US sued Texas to allow their churches to be exempt from social distancing requirements .

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
im beginning to think that my healing crystals do nothing against covid19

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw a report about an under 10 year old kid died in Belgium or the Netherlands. It may have been some other European country.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

703 posted:

it was inevitable. america will never admit mistakes or learn anything. attacking others is all america knows.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pussy Quipped posted:

(dark oange means no BCG vaccine given to children)

https://ghresearch.org/covid-19/could-bcg-vaccination-revaccination-protect-against-sars-cov2-disease/

quote:

Multiple recent reports note the very low incidence of SARS-CoV2 in children. The striking age distribution of the disease raises the possibility that children derive some protection from an immune response to a previous antigenic exposure that is not present in adults. One exposure that might differentially affect children and adolescents is BCG, a vaccine given at birth in most countries in the world. An attenuated form of live Mycobacteria bovis, BCG has been used as a vaccine for tuberculosis since the 1920s. We and others have shown that the efficacy of neonatal BCG against tuberculosis wanes with age (which may be a proxy for time since vaccination) (1,2).

Remarkably, in addition to its effect on TB, BCG has been shown to reduce the occurrence and severity of a range of other unrelated infectious diseases. Both observational studies and randomized controlled trials suggest that BCG vaccination can halve the risk of childhood death in countries with high rates of under-5 mortality (3,4). Notably, the mortality from TB in children in these areas was not high enough for a decline in TB incidence to explain this result; common causes of early childhood mortality in these settings were diarrheal and acute respiratory infections. Other studies found that BCG-vaccinated individuals experience lower rates of acute lower respiratory tract infections among many types of other infections (5,6). Interestingly, a decline in respiratory infection was observed in several randomized clinical trials in adults, including one conducted in individuals 60-75 years of age (7,8). These non-specific effects of BCG have also been shown in animal challenge models for brucella, legionella, herpesvirus, candida and plasmodium (reviewed in 9-11) and human challenge studies for plasmodium (12) and an attenuated yellow fever virus (13).

One proposed mechanism by which BCG protects against non-TB infections is through heterologous immunity, whereby cross-protection is mediated by Th1/TH17 memory responses that are not necessarily due to epitope sharing (9); for example, antigen specific effector and memory CD8+ cells have been shown to secrete IFN-γ in response to IL-12 and IL-18 in the absence of a related antigen (14). An alternative or perhaps additional mechanism of the non-specific BCG effect is through “trained immunity,” a term used to describe the epigenetic re-programming of innate immune (and possibly other non-immune) cells which acts independently of memory T or B cells. BCG vaccination has been shown to induce changes in the methylation of the histones of monocytes and NK cells which alter the expression of genes involved in pathogen recognition and rapid inflammatory responses (15-17).

Revaccination with BCG later in childhood has been carried out in many countries over the past century and has proved safe, although of unclear efficacy against TB disease. Two recent clinical trials from South Africa have reported on BCG revaccination, one in adults who were tuberculin skin test positive (so presumably with latent TB) (18) and the second in TST-negative adolescents who had previously been vaccinated with BCG at birth (19). Both studies showed that revaccination with BCG was well tolerated and boosted existing BCG-specific CD4+ T-cell responses. In the adolescent study, revaccination reduced the rate of TB infection as measured by quantiferon conversion. The BCG re-vaccinated group also experienced a three-fold reduction in upper respiratory infections compared to those who received either a placebo or a novel TB vaccine.

Is it possible that children are protected from severe SARS-CoV2 disease because the non-specific effects of BCG vaccination reduce their risk of developing severe pneumonia after coronavirus infection? Given that BCG vaccine is widely available and that vaccination/revaccination is safe, cheap, and immunogenic, it is worthwhile to explore its possible efficacy in this epidemic. Unlike other more specific vaccines which will require phase one and two testing, a phase three clinical trial of vaccination/revaccination with BCG could begin promptly.

I don't think that many kids in the US are dying, are they?

twoday has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Apr 1, 2020

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

listening to michael moore's latest podcast and a bird keeps chirping in the background. for at least the last 30 minutes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

2DCAT posted:

buddy, I can help you charge them up

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Like imagine patients that are being seen for covid that have a history of suicide attempts or even just mental issues on general. Do they get the ventilator before someone without those issues? I guess it's kinda paranoid to think about (thanks mental illness) but also kinda valid? Gonna be facing some major ethical decisions it seems.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

703 posted:

idk if it'll stick tbh, my foxnews dad tried the "china started it" thing last night and when i told him europe is paying everyone 70-80% of their salary to stay home, he dropped it

its pretty incredible, finding a better pandemic strategy only has one step and that is "look at what any given non-US country is doing"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

2DCAT posted:

make sure they're properly charged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

More cases mean more non-standard cases you maroons!