Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

by Saturday we'll be at 10% of the us population infected? lol

this is me mentally extrapolating. not quoting any actual modeling

edit :downs:

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Fun Fact: snail used to be a slur for Lombards because they were slow to react to something once so that's why there are so many snails in medieval marginalia

I guess it's still relevant

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Well, eventually 98% of them will get better and they can be forced back to work.

this kind of depends on the age of the average doctor and if they have hypertension, diabetes, etc

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SardonicTyrant posted:

The problem is there are some smart solutions to this problem, but there are also some really dumb ones, and the US will choose the dumb ones every time.

"We at the CDC have partnered with IBM, Microsoft, and Google to replace your doctors with an AI assistant."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

So our warehouse has been shipping for the last two weeks because the CEO decided that we qualified as essential (we definitely aren't) and today I found out that most of our senior management believe it's either a hoax or a Chinese bioweapon

So, even if it is a Chinese bioweapon, that wouldn't change the need to stay away from other people and half nonessential business.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Mayor Dave posted:

So our warehouse has been shipping for the last two weeks because the CEO decided that we qualified as essential (we definitely aren't) and today I found out that most of our senior management believe it's either a hoax or a Chinese bioweapon

if its a bioweapon wouldnt you take it very seriously like its designed to kill

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

juche avocado posted:

by Saturday we'll be at 10% of the us population infected? lol

this is me mentally extrapolating. not quoting any actual modeling

100% actually

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
MA had our second consecutive day with 30 deaths or more.
https://twitter.com/wbz/status/1245441593261383680?s=20

Testing rate continues to fall, % positive continues to rise

Lol gently caress

poty
Jun 21, 2008

edit: why did i try to impress people with my bad math skills

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Mayor Dave posted:

there's a stunning amount of daylight between the halves of that either/or clause

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I legitimately think the country is falling apart around us. In a month it is going to be loving bonkers. IF we even make it a month, christ.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this person is an idiot saying that the doctors in italy who had no choice but to give ventilators to younger, healthier people when they ran out is eugenics.

That's exceptionally dumb considering the whole point of eugenics is eliminating traits from the gene pool and the elderly who don't already have are most certainly not going to start now

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mod sassinator posted:

I legitimately think the country is falling apart around us. In a month it is going to be loving bonkers. IF we even make it a month, christ.

the election is 100% getting called off because of this and there's gonna be riots. very cool!

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

poty posted:

300k people is 1%

oh right

:downs:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1245417583903494150

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

poty posted:

if its a bioweapon wouldnt you take it very seriously like its designed to kill

Hey man I'm not the one with the brain spiders, I think it's incredibly stupid as well

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Innocuous posted:

there's a lot of daylight between the halves of that either/or clause

Heard my CTO wondering aloud if the reason so many senior government officials in Iran were infected is because they tried to buy the virus as a bioweapon from China. Just utter brainworms

poty
Jun 21, 2008

its not im wrong its 0.1%

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wow, president pelosi

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

old beast lunatic posted:

I hadn't thought about this too much but it is very true that you can't go anywhere in America without seeing tons (lol) of people so fat they have trouble breathing on a good day.

roundboi gonna gently caress up demon cracker nation

And they reason America has so many obese people is that the election system got captured by the corn industry and got their forever subsidy; plus the state has no motivation to keep its own citizens healthy and spend less money on health care cost because the healthcare system is purely for profit.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

should I be making an offer on a house right now y/n

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Jon Irenicus posted:

should I be making an offer on a house right now y/n

How's your mortgage rate?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

bout to hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLBuWIlfz_E

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I love the reasoning for the bioweapon thing, like the only thing you can say considering it started there is "they made a bet that they could contain it without imploding as a nation and that we couldn't, even with a big head start" and like, well what's it say that they were apparently right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Cities will absolutely be in a national guard enforced lockdown with soliders armed with real guns and humvees parked on street corners. Once enough police are sick and out of work, and enough random acts of violence like landlords getting shot start to pile up it's just an inevitability.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How's your mortgage rate?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Marx Headroom posted:

lol at these people completely missing the point of "wherever two or three gather together in my name"

Welcome to the wonderful world of Biblical literalism

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Iron Crowned posted:

We're not owned! We insist as we slowly transform into a wasteland.

i'm not owned! i'm not owned! i insist as i'm dragged off to the raider stronghold

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

In spain they try to use the "patriotic" angle to make people shut up about it.

Meanwhlle they are on television talking about the millions masks and everything they have on the ready. They are in full 1984 denial.

Is barbaric, criminal. Many first responders are gonna die. Already 12.000+ medics and nurses.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

As a rule of thumb you should multiply confirmed cases by 10 to get actual cases which covers people sick at home and never sought treatment, asymtomatic carriers and people still in the early stages of infection so we'll be at like 3 million on Saturday, yeah.-

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah i think india is gonna be a whole lot worse than the united states

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

anime was right posted:

100% it will be, probably the worst in the world, it's just gonna be years and years before we get any real numbers on their outbreak

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

anime was right posted:

At some point they're just going to stop counting the dead bodies over there. The world will probably never know the true extent of this disaster.

Prolly have about two weeks until we get there, strap in!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
india is run by an idiot who is also an actual fascist, and they have higher population density, and it's harder for them to isolate, and higher poverty. just gonna be some outright revolution poo poo. wouldnt be shocked if india balkanizes faster than the US.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I love the reasoning for the bioweapon thing, like the only thing you can say considering it started there is "they made a bet that they could contain it without imploding as a nation and that we couldn't, even with a big head start" and like, well what's it say that they were apparently right?

The number #1 bioweapon strategy is to have it almost exclusively kill the elderly and infirm, and also to forget to develop a vaccine for it so it affects your country precisely as badly as the enemy's

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

india is run by an idiot who is also an actual fascist, and they have higher population density, and it's harder for them to isolate, and higher poverty. just gonna be some outright revolution poo poo. wouldnt be shocked if india balkanizes faster than the US.

And partitioning India hasn’t gone well in the past...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:smith:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's funny because no matter what narrative the right tries to latch onto (except china is lying about millions dead) is that it fatally undermines western white chauvinism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tei posted:

In spain they try to use the "patriotic" angle to make people shut up about it.

Meanwhlle they are on television talking about the millions masks and everything they have on the ready. They are in full 1984 denial.

Is barbaric, criminal. Many first responders are gonna die. Already 12.000+ medics and nurses.

Yeah plus over time it's basically a war of attrition especially if this the vaccine takes 2-3 years to be available.

Can you any country afford 2 -3 years of medical doctors and nurses dying off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

India was never a nation state in the first place.