Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

How is age of wonders planetfall? I really liked 2 and 3, so I'm expecting good things, especially with this big patch they just released?

It’s good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

I got a bunch of duplicate games from that Humble Covid Bundle, so I'm just going to give the Steam keys to y'all.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 35XX0-DVVGM-Q035Q

thanks for this. always wanted to give it a shot

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I don't remember a whole lot of conversation over QT but it's definitely another game that's perfect for these strange times.

The horror genre is large enough now that it can splinter into increasingly specific sub-genres, such as “games that start out cute and then turn sinister”. I only mention that here because QT seemingly opens in the same place, but then never, ever takes that turn into horror. It’s an absurdly cute, happy, upbeat game that feels like it’s covering for something in these dark and sinister times, except it isn’t. This is the real deal, an earnest, joyful game about finding friends and exploring cute places, and there’s more than enough of both to satisfy anyone’s need for warm fuzzies.

QT, as you might have gathered from the name, started off as a parody of PT, the now-legendary playable teaser Hideo Kojima put out for a new Silent Hill. In that little slice of terror, you explored a repeating L-shaped hall in a perfectly normal home, with each cycle making it increasingly clear that things were absolutely not normal. QT goes the opposite route, taking a very similar hallway but making the situation cuter and cuter with every cycle. To expand on this utterly charming concept for the Steam release, the creator added two more areas to explore, the Museum and the Kouen (Japanese for park), which dispense with the sinister overtones of QT entirely and just give you a happy playground to noodle around in.

I shouldn’t have to explain what it is that makes QT so dang cute if you can see these screenshots, but it’s worth talking about just how complete the experience is. Every single person, animal, or animate thing you encounter here is a happy, adorable, 2D creation straight from MSPaint. They come in every shade of the rainbow, dogs and foxes and alligators and juice pitchers and globular creatures alike. Many of them make goofy squeaks or honks when you interact with them, but in general they exist to populate the world and make it a better place to explore. The environments are similarly charming; the QT segment obviously focuses more on the semi-realistic hallway of PT but still fills it with dance parties and family gatherings to make it feel cozy. Museum and Kouen are crafted from much brighter colors and rounder shapes, completing the impression that their inhabitants exude.

As for what you can do in QT, the main draw is undoubtedly exploration. It’s honestly a huge pleasure just to tool around and see all the happy characters crafted for this goofy thing. And with a game like this, you can be sure there are tons of weird, equally-adorable secrets tucked away to uncover. The interaction options are different for each of the three areas, too. For example, you can jump in Museum and Kouen, but have to uncover a secret to do so in QT. You also get a camera in Kouen that you don’t in the others, which is used for some new interactions. Folks needing more direction in their games than this can look to the achievements, which are expansive and give plenty of hints towards the more obscure (and hilarious) secrets. Still, with no way to “win” or “complete” the areas, the emphasis is much more on exploring and experiencing than chasing after specific goals.

I really think games like QT deserve more credit, because it’s not easy to make something so relentlessly joyful to experience. I could knock together smiley people in MSPaint and stuff them into rooms but it wouldn’t have a fraction of the charm or genuine happiness you’ll find here. The good dogs and sleepy foxes of QT exist to make you feel better, to give you a place to escape to where nothing is wrong and everything is a pleasant little surprise. Games like this can easily become too cloying or memey or twee or whatever you want to call it, but not this one. QT is the real deal for a nice time in cute places, with no shortage of nice or cute things to find as it lifts your spirits just by being what it is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is ATOM RPG any good?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Personally, I didn't really like it. It tries really hard to make you think that it is this big spiritual sequel to the classic Fallout games, but it copies more of the things that were bad about them than the good parts. The game is much smaller and more shallow than it seems and it keeps baiting you into investing into all the wrong skills. Like, you might think that in a post-apoc survival RPG, crafting gear and armor would be a good thing, right? Except there's only like 12 different sets of armor in the entire game altogether and you can craft... one of them? Two? Not many. I regretted those points pretty much instantly.

I wouldn't buy it unless you can get it heavily discounted. All in all, it's just not a great experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245403576198926339

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

guys im beginning to worry randy might be a sleazy sack of poo poo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Dunno why I thought of this, but what was the name of that failed PC subscription service from a few years ago, the one that was supposed to focus on retro games?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

There's no reason to trust Pitchford given his history, but that headline makes it sound like he just said nope, not giving you money, when he just gave them less than expected saying BL3 didn't make as much as they hoped.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barry Convex posted:

Dunno why I thought of this, but what was the name of that failed PC subscription service from a few years ago, the one that was supposed to focus on retro games?

Gametap?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There's no reason to trust Pitchford given his history, but that headline makes it sound like he just said nope, not giving you money, when he just gave them less than expected saying BL3 didn't make as much as they hoped.
That's the question, though - no real data are available on how much it actually made, so the employees have to take the company's word for it. Since this is Gearbox...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The article says it exceeded sales goals, they just spent way too much money developing it and the bonus is based on profits, not sales. 95 million for the base game, $140 million for the game + DLC, and if I'm understanding correctly they didn't even have to pay for licensing UE4 because they went Epic exclusive. 140 million is crazy, that's like GTA or Red Dead money.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Fuligin posted:

guys im beginning to worry randy might be a sleazy sack of poo poo

Employees working for a notorious piece of poo poo even for the games industry: "duhhh how could this happun 2 me :saddowns:"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

goferchan posted:

The article says it exceeded sales goals, they just spent way too much money developing it and the bonus is based on profits, not sales. 95 million for the base game, $140 million for the game + DLC, and if I'm understanding correctly they didn't even have to pay for licensing UE4 because they went Epic exclusive. 140 million is crazy, that's like GTA or Red Dead money.

That’s nuts. The game isn’t even much greater in scope than its predecessor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think they made anything close to Rockstar money, because Red Dead Redemption 2 earned something like ~750 million dollars on its first weekend, but they sure as hell must have made enough to actually pay their employees what was promised to them. This is a real great way to make sure that next time you want to make an AAA game, you can't get anyone to work on it who is actually worth a drat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

goferchan posted:

Remember when they didn't want to pay their voice actor. Clearly they didn't have the budget for that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Haven't gearbox been total shitheads for years now, however? I'm sure the BL3 staff knew the gossip.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

drat horror queefs posted:

Employees working for a notorious piece of poo poo even for the games industry: "duhhh how could this happun 2 me :saddowns:"

Hmm you're right, employees are scum that deserve to be conned

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fuligin posted:

Hmm you're right, employees are scum that deserve to be conned

finally someone who's not afraid to say it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Serephina posted:

I don't own it, as I've learnt my lesson with Paradox and know better than to buy into any of their new products.

Those who did get it said it was amazing they managed to make the game so dull. So par for the courseI guess? They'll continue to keep pushing expensive DLC that promises the earth, be aware of their business model.

Paradox is only the publisher of Planetfall, not the developer. Triumph is still the studio making the game, patches, and DLC. Dismissing Planetfall as another Stellaris or EU is flatly ignoring just about everything about the game.

GrandpaPants posted:

How is age of wonders planetfall? I really liked 2 and 3, so I'm expecting good things, especially with this big patch they just released?

If you liked AoW 3 you'll more than likely dig Planetfall, especially with the most recent patch. They tried to deepen in the economy a bit relative to 3 and are still hunting for the sweet spot but it's still massively less fiddly than its contemporaries. Tactical battles are as awesome as always and the various race and secret tech combos are, in my opinion, more varied and engaging than the hero and magic choices from past games. It's straight up just Age of Wonders 4 but with some sci fi this time, so unless you really dislike the change in setting I'd say def go for it. Also we have a Planetfall thread here on the forums that can answer any questions you may have.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

no, it was much more recent than that, like 2017 or so

EDIT: ah, it was GamePump, very similar name

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/gamepump-cancels-subscription-service-shifts-to-publishing

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 1, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wrapped up the real ending to Dragon's Dogma for the first time since release. Massive spoilers incoming: I'm actually disappointed just a tiny bit, because I remember the new game plus bit being a little more clever than it actually was. I thought your pawn got the gift of life and you started anew as your pawn but having become a human. That is what happens, in a way, but your pawn wakes up appearing as and with all the skills of the main character, rather than as themselves. I was looking forward to doing the new game plus as the pawn and creating a new pawn to run with me and using a totally different playstyle. While you can essentially do that manually by using the character edit and vocation switching, I'm just a bit disappointed that the game didn't have this little flourish that imo would have taken it just a bit further into greatness. #quarantinethoughts

e: Oh gently caress me after all the hemming and hawing I accidentally started a new game instead of a new game plus and deleted my loving save.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's straight up just Age of Wonders 4 but with some sci fi this time
Basically, yeah. The combat is definitely just straight-up classic Age of Wonders battle, but with much smoother mechanics and tactical options compared to its predecessors. It's not a typical Paradox grand strategy game, certainly, although whether that makes it better or worse is really a matter of preference.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

What the hell, when I, uh, aquired BL3 and played it for about an hour AKA as long as I could stand, I was honestly surprised at how janky and dated it felt for a big-name release.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

goferchan posted:

Yeah that make sense. BL1 was a massive hit out of nowhere, Gearbox blew up and expectations for high for BL2. It's was decent and fun but had ton of problems but Gearbox i.e Pitchford got so high off his own farts the idea that BL3 was going to be a AAA GTAV-esque mega hit.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just a bought a switch, and while I know this is the steam thread, I also know Darkest Dungeons and how to deal with the DLC has been discussed extensively here. I thought I'd finally get the game, and if I pick up ancestral edition I save less than a buck, but it's an easy and quick bundle. However, I seem to remember people saying it's a bad idea to start the game with the DLC, and that it's better to get them when you've had some playtime. Is that, like, a rule, or will it just make things a bit trickier?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Just a bought a switch, and while I know this is the steam thread, I also know Darkest Dungeons and how to deal with the DLC has been discussed extensively here. I thought I'd finally get the game, and if I pick up ancestral edition I save less than a buck, but it's an easy and quick bundle. However, I seem to remember people saying it's a bad idea to start the game with the DLC, and that it's better to get them when you've had some playtime. Is that, like, a rule, or will it just make things a bit trickier?

god what the gently caress how did you get a switch, I can't find any anywhere

also to answer your question you want to turn off crimson court, at least when you're starting, since dealing with the disease is really loving irritating. You can turn it on when you feel comfortable with the game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any good coop campaign gems for 2 or more that are obscure picks, got most the usual suspects?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 1, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Junkie Disease posted:

And good coop campaign gems for 2 or more that are obscure picks, got most the usual suspects

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a really fun three player hack and slash adventure, especially if you have any nostalgia for the 3d action games of the ps2/xbox era.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, what Grapplejack says. Crimson Court has a spreading vampirism mechanic that will infect your characters and also slowly replace more and more enemies in the regular dungeons with Crimson Court enemies, which are infectious and also kind of annoying to fight. There's only one way to counteract that and it requires a specific item that isn't always easy to get. It's best to turn on Crimson Court only after you are at least a little bit established. It's still perfectly doable, of course, but it can be frustrating to deal with.

Color of Madness is entirely self-contained, though, you can just start with that active and leave it there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Grapplejack posted:

god what the gently caress how did you get a switch, I can't find any anywhere

Ordered a special animal crossing edition online and like half a day after I ordered it the online stock was out, the price was raised and the store's physical locations had a limited supply.

So: luck!

quote:

also to answer your question you want to turn off crimson court, at least when you're starting, since dealing with the disease is really loving irritating. You can turn it on when you feel comfortable with the game.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, what Grapplejack says. Crimson Court has a spreading vampirism mechanic that will infect your characters and also slowly replace more and more enemies in the regular dungeons with Crimson Court enemies, which are infectious and also kind of annoying to fight. There's only one way to counteract that and it requires a specific item that isn't always easy to get. It's best to turn on Crimson Court only after you are at least a little bit established. It's still perfectly doable, of course, but it can be frustrating to deal with.

Color of Madness is entirely self-contained, though, you can just start with that active and leave it there.

So I can pretty much activate and deactivate DLC ingame? That certainly makes it easier to deal with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

So I can pretty much activate and deactivate DLC ingame? That certainly makes it easier to deal with.
You can turn it on, certainly. I'm not sure what actually happens if you try to switch it off, though, because some of the changes are persistent to your characters and such. I never thought to try.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Ordered a special animal crossing edition online and like half a day after I ordered it the online stock was out, the price was raised and the store's physical locations had a limited supply.

So: luck!

:argh:

also yeah you can activate and deactivate them whenever, the game doesn't care.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Paradox is only the publisher of Planetfall, not the developer. Triumph is still the studio making the game, patches, and DLC. Dismissing Planetfall as another Stellaris or EU is flatly ignoring just about everything about the game.

This doesn't actually mean much. Cities: Skylines isn't developed by Paradox either but it 100% conforms to their lovely DLC scheme nonetheless.

I dunno if Planetfall is really going that way, but I will say that the pricing on the base game vs. season pass vs. ultimate everything included edition has been pretty bullshit. I got a raw deal by buying just the deluxe edition early.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a really fun three player hack and slash adventure, especially if you have any nostalgia for the 3d action games of the ps2/xbox era.

While War in the North is pretty cool, warning that its netcode is completely hosed. One of those "if player B joins before player C then player C can't connect, if player B tries hosting instead nobody can connect, if player C hosts it works for an hour then breaks for no reason whatsoever" situations. It's also one of those old lovely 360 ports that defaults to voice on all the time - using Steam's voice system rather than Xbox Live in this case - which means you have to go wrestle with that since you're probably using Discord or whatever.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Can someone give a brief rundown on each of the AC Odyssey DLCs? Trying to decide if I wanna jump on the season pass at $20 or not.

Note: No one say a drat thing about that one part of that one DLC. I don't care, and I don't want to end up in a huge derail, I just want to know about the actual content in the DLCs, thank you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This thread has convinced me to get Planetfall, although no Tigrans or Frostlings...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have been talking to my dad about buying games on pc. he just told me he almost bought fallout 4 (he played previous ones on xbox but he didnt buy a bone) but he was concerned about shooting with the keyboard.

the last shooting game he played on pc was doom lol. i told him he could aim with the mouse and he was relieved and said he might buy it now :allears:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Re: Asscreed - The AtlantisDLC I'd consider a must-have. The new enemies were pretty fun to gently caress with and there's some pretty cool (and huge) lore and areas. LotFB was kind of forgettable for me, other than that one scene. But by the same token, I loved Odyssey SO MUCH that I was more than happy to play through it anyway. Other than, you know, that one scene.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

Note: No one say a drat thing about that one part of that one DLC.

Whats this about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kly posted:

Whats this about?

AC Odyssey decides that if you picked the lady lead to be the main character and played her as a lesbian, gently caress you. In this DLC she has a baby with a dude because there needs to be an assassin bloodline, or some bullshit like that.

I've decided it isn't canon.