Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh boy, electricity chat. That's where I'm a viking.

Guavanaut posted:

Also once you've labelled all your breakers, if you need to change a socket or something always plug in a desk lamp, switch it on, and turn off the breaker that you think turns that socket off, you may be surprised (but it's a better surprise than the other kind).

Or get a cheap multimeter. I mean, get an expensive Fluke multimeter like mine, but a £12 one will do the job for checking stuff is off, and testing continuity/resistance.

I also love the volt sticks (light up and/or beep when near voltage) but I only trust them one way - when they light up, there are volts, but not enough that if they don't light up, there are no volts. Fun though, and useful when something stops working, you can wave a stick at the power cord to figure out which end to investigate.

Edit: here is a badger kitty we saw on our walk today. He wanted tummy rubs but we did not oblige.

vvvv Virus concerns. But it was very hard to resist

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

So some bosses want to make sure people are busy when working from home because they can't abide paying people not to work, but your boss apparently can't abide the idea that you might be working while they're paying you.

Y'ever think maybe bosses are just control freaks?

It's stupid, because the fruit picking is piece work so if magically all the construction sites suddenly open and I can do my regular job again I can just stop the fruit picking and go back to work whenever.

Yes he's a control freak so he's taking this entire situation extremely badly and I really feel sorry for his wife tbh

E: ^^^^ why the HECK didn't you rub that tummy you monster

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I wonder how many ingredients you'd have to add to a Pot Noodle to make it pleasant. A real poo poo of Theseus scenario

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bardeh posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/cats-can-infect-each-other-with-coronavirus-chinese-study-finds

quote:

Cat owners may wish to be more cautious about contact with their pets, as a study from China has revealed Covid-19 can be transmitted between cats.

The team, at Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in China, found that cats are highly susceptible to Covid-19 and appear to be able to transmit the virus through respiratory droplets to other cats. Dogs, chickens, pigs and ducks were found to be unlikely to catch the infection, however.

The findings followed recent reports of a pet cat in Belgium being infected with Covid-19. About a week after the cat’s owner started showing symptoms, the cat also developed breathing difficulties, diarrhoea and vomiting, and subsequent tests by vets at the University of Liège showed the animal was infected with coronavirus.

etc

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I will never not be here for Toby Young getting dunked on

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/1245038998478872578?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

950k universal credit claims since lockdown started

Whole lot of people about to learn how bad benefits are

A lot of people making space for an extra large television set and picking out jewellery from the Argos catalogue are going to be in for a nasty surprise imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

A lot of people making space for an extra large television set and picking out jewellery from the Argos catalogue are going to be in for a nasty surprise imo

Why? Everyone knows that if you're on benefits the first thing you do is get an extra large 4000K plasma screen tv. I've seen it on Channel 5 so it must be true.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Other than the lighting, oven, and boiler, yup.

It's only a two up two down, although personally I'd prefer it if the kitchen sockets had their own ring, but that's right at the other end to the consumer unit.

Terrace? Built in the 60s? Ex Council?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

It's stupid, because the fruit picking is piece work so if magically all the construction sites suddenly open and I can do my regular job again I can just stop the fruit picking and go back to work whenever.

Yes he's a control freak so he's taking this entire situation extremely badly and I really feel sorry for his wife tbh

Cats asking for belly rubs is a cruel, cruel trick. If you want to replicate the feeling, put a fluffy blanket at the back of a threshing machine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fine with mucking about with electrics as if you gently caress something up you know very quickly as a fuse pops..
Plumbing on the other hand you flood your house until you can run to the stopcock

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Wachter posted:

I wonder how many ingredients you'd have to add to a Pot Noodle to make it pleasant. A real poo poo of Theseus scenario

Quarter a tin of tuna and a few thin slices of spring onion.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ah bollocks, I'll have to keep the little arsehole in. So as well as being locked in the house, I'm now locked in the house with a cat that's pissed off.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why? Everyone knows that if you're on benefits the first thing you do is get an extra large 4000K plasma screen tv. I've seen it on Channel 5 so it must be true.

I'm pretty sure that's :thejoke:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Does anyone know if TSB have any kind of maximum withdrawal over the counter? Cuz I need to lift £1300 out of my account, and for obvious reasons, I'd rather do it in as few journeys as possible.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And sky tv

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bardeh posted:

is there any chance he'd find out?

the only restrictions on working on the government's advice page (which is for employers, but I can't see one for employees) seem to be specifically on work that makes money for the company that furloughed you

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Does anyone know if TSB have any kind of maximum withdrawal over the counter? Cuz I need to lift £1300 out of my account, and for obvious reasons, I'd rather do it in as few journeys as possible.

Anything up to whatever the current "probably a drug dealer, report them to HMRC" limit (£10k, IIRC) should be fine, although they might ask you to provide more identification than just your card.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tarnop posted:

I'm pretty sure that's :thejoke:

Yeah I got it :) Mine is a joke too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anything up to whatever the current "probably a drug dealer, report them to HMRC" limit (£10k, IIRC) should be fine, although they might ask you to provide more identification than just your card.

Piss, I don't have any photo ID beyond an expired passport, and I haven't had a paper statement in ages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Or get a cheap multimeter. I mean, get an expensive Fluke multimeter like mine, but a £12 one will do the job for checking stuff is off, and testing continuity/resistance.

I also love the volt sticks (light up and/or beep when near voltage) but I only trust them one way - when they light up, there are volts, but not enough that if they don't light up, there are no volts. Fun though, and useful when something stops working, you can wave a stick at the power cord to figure out which end to investigate.
Yeah, I've got a decent (not Fluke level, but trustable) multimeter and £12 no-name moving coil one for simple stuff.

The screwdrivers with a neon tube in are also good, I always poke something that I know is live to make sure the tube's working before I trust it on anything else though.

But for 'did I turn the right thing off' you can't beat an old desklamp plugged into said thing.

serious gaylord posted:

Terrace? Built in the 60s? Ex Council?
Terrace. Built in the 1890s. Ex mill cottage.

Absolutely solid build, but whoever electrified it (in the late 30s under the assisted wiring scheme if I had to guess) chose a torturous route, and later modernizations opted to keep it.

The cooker and boiler wiring are modern though (last 10 years, gas option only before that) but the ring main is, yeah...

Wayfaring Stranger posted:

I will never not be here for Toby Young getting dunked on

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/1245038998478872578?s=19
:lol:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bobstar posted:

Edit: here is a badger kitty we saw on our walk today. He wanted tummy rubs but we did not oblige.

What the gently caress :catstare:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Make sure you have a good reason why you need that much cash to ensure it qualifies as 'essential'.

My mother was fretting about putting money into the grandkids' savings accounts - those accounts you're supposed to make a monthly payment else the whole thing died - and was adamant she was going to break isolation to do it (she lives in the countryside miles from anywhere). So as a compromise, my sister got the passbooks off her and dropped them through my window last night for me to go do it for her.

Anyway, I went to the relevant Financial Services Emporium and they were categorical that they are banned from doing any non-essential transactions - savings are not essential - which basically consisted of getting cash to buy food. (Also they know my mother well and told me to tell her not to worry - exceptional circumstances yada yada).

(Mother is 82, does not have online banking and has a neurological condition which causes terrible handshake so she wouldn't be able to operate one anyway as she can't get the mouse cursor in the various little boxes, and has a propensity to believe emails purporting to come from banks and if she doesn't bank with the spam bank, she will alight on one of her offsprings who does as obviously the bank are emailing our mother about our accounts - I give up).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

You can deliver tummy rubs carefully and gently with appropriate PPE (your shoe).

I know this because my cat loves to invite tummy rubs and then proceeds to claw and bite whatever appendage is extended to deliver it. So having a show is a must.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I got it :) Mine is a joke too.

Bloody text based communication!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Make sure you have a good reason why you need that much cash to ensure it qualifies as 'essential'.

My mother was fretting about putting money into the grandkids' savings accounts - those accounts you're supposed to make a monthly payment else the whole thing died - and was adamant she was going to break isolation to do it (she lives in the countryside miles from anywhere). So as a compromise, my sister got the passbooks off her and dropped them through my window last night for me to go do it for her.

Anyway, I went to the relevant Financial Services Emporium and they were categorical that they are banned from doing any non-essential transactions - savings are not essential - which basically consisted of getting cash to buy food. (Also they know my mother well and told me to tell her not to worry - exceptional circumstances yada yada).

(Mother is 82, does not have online banking and has a neurological condition which causes terrible handshake so she wouldn't be able to operate one anyway as she can't get the mouse cursor in the various little boxes, and has a propensity to believe emails purporting to come from banks and if she doesn't bank with the spam bank, she will alight on one of her offsprings who does as obviously the bank are emailing our mother about our accounts - I give up).

It's because my mother booked a holiday using my account that's almost certainly going to be cancelled, and if it's refunded, it'll go back into my account. Except one of the conditions of my Carer's Allowance/Income Support is not having any more than £6k in savings, which the holiday being refunded would put me over.

So what should I tell them?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ah bollocks, I'll have to keep the little arsehole in. So as well as being locked in the house, I'm now locked in the house with a cat that's pissed off.

There is a good article about pets and Covid 19.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/should-pets-be-tested-coronavirus

Basically while it is possible that pets could get it, it seems super unlikely. Just because with the numbers who have gotten it, there should be way more sick doggie and cats it it was a thing.

What is likely still a problem (and why you were correct to not rub that fine cat's belly) is cats and dogs can be platforms that could get touched by someone who is asymptomatic and make the animal a risk.

Cats are often fine with your feet going near them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1245457981917069313?s=20

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I thought my mortgage was coming up for renewal and got excited because interest rates are rock bottom but it's not until next year.

4.89% I was paying when I bought my house. Sounds outrageous now (maybe it was at the time as well idk).

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's because my mother booked a holiday using my account that's almost certainly going to be cancelled, and if it's refunded, it'll go back into my account. Except one of the conditions of my Carer's Allowance/Income Support is not having any more than £6k in savings, which the holiday being refunded would put me over.

Buying tp.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hm difficult.

Will the DWP not see £1300 out - presumably you will take it out first before a refund - and back in to your account?
I'm sure you've thought of it, but if not, I think you can withdraw £300 a day via ATM - could you do that instead over a few days though if it's in a savings account might not have an ATM card for it I guess.
But you still might have the problem if the DWP look at your statements. (I don't know how this works at all btw).
(Or does your mother have an account you could transfer it to?)

Of course, the other thing is the TSB might not ask you at all, so this might be a fuss over nothing, but if you can think of something in case might be handy.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh, I've got the ATM card for it, it's just in a current account. The idea of taking it out a few hundred at a time did occur to me, but I wanted to cut down on the number of journeys to and from the ATM, for obvious reasons.

And yeah, I'm hoping they just do it no questions asked, but I just wanna have a backup in case I'm put on the spot. Maybe helping a friend pay rent?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, I've got the ATM card for it, it's just in a current account. The idea of taking it out a few hundred at a time did occur to me, but I wanted to cut down on the number of journeys to and from the ATM, for obvious reasons.

And yeah, I'm hoping they just do it no questions asked, but I just wanna have a backup in case I'm put on the spot. Maybe helping a friend pay rent?

That's possible.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Just go in branch and say i need to withdraw X in cash. Paying a builder. It's on them to declare and pay tax on cash payment (they don't but that's not on you)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If you bank with Barclays (boo hiss) they have the special multipurpose ATMs/counter replacement machines in branch that will happily dispense 1k at a go no questions asked.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You should also be able to call your bank and have the ATM withdrawal limit temporarily raised - I've done that before to pay tradies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

If you bank with Barclays (boo hiss) they have the special multipurpose ATMs/counter replacement machines in branch that will happily dispense 1k at a go no questions asked.

TSB, sadly. If they have one of those machines in there, I'll use that, if not, I'm paying a builder.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Depends on how comfortable you are with taking a fat chunk of change out of a hole in the wall and stuffing it all into your pockets. At least in branch you can bag it up more safely.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Roughly when is it that the supermarkets open their next day's delivery slots?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alternative solution: Order something pricey online like a new computer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Roughly when is it that the supermarkets open their next day's delivery slots?

Live next to a local organic greengrocer and halal butchers and shop like me ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I've got a decent (not Fluke level, but trustable) multimeter and £12 no-name moving coil one for simple stuff.

The screwdrivers with a neon tube in are also good, I always poke something that I know is live to make sure the tube's working before I trust it on anything else though.

But for 'did I turn the right thing off' you can't beat an old desklamp plugged into said thing.

The lamp thing probably saved me when I added a new bedroom spur, only to find out that one upstairs socket was on the 'downstairs' ring main. I like to think sparkies leave surprises like that as a form of Darwinism. Weed out the ones not paying attention.

My early 90's-built house has a weird mix of RCDs & fuses in the consumer unit too. It's like they quickly used up all their old spare stock before the regs changed. Had a fault with the lights a few years ago, and was overjoyed to find out that they need a size of fuse not many places carry anymore. Has to look in three stores, and the last one had a single fuse left in stock.