Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well I wouldn't expect them to be cheerfully distributed in the current climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Whoever owns property has a stake in what occurs on that property, so private ownership beats some feudal lord telling you that he does not like how you bite your thumb at thee, and thus you are homeless. America's problem is that the attempts by the state to increase the pool of homeowners have all been screamingly racist, and so we defaulted again to great liberal adage that You Just Can't Change The South and moved the goalposts so "nobody is entitled to anything" becomes kind of an egalitarian policy if you think about it.

There's also the matter that almost nobody in Washington is talking about reforming other debt like credit cards, the only talk about a pause on negative credit reporting I've seen has come from Maxine Waters and Ilhan Omar and nobody else. There's a lot of ways that both tenants and landlords could both benefit from making banks experience some short-term pain.

No, having your house be the primary way that you store and build wealth in this country has been loving disastrous. It ties people down in one spot, and more importantly gives them a direct and compelling economic interest in preventing new housing. 90% of the high minded concerns that get brought up when people complain about efforts to expand housing supply are bullshit, most of it is homeowners protecting their stake. The problem is not that efforts to expand home-ownership have been flawed, it's that homeownership itself is bad.

We'd be far better off if housing was similar here to how it is in Japan, and bought as a long term consumer good (you buy a house because you need it to live, like a car, and you expect it to go down in value) , not an investment.

It is very hard to over-exagerate how bad single family private homeownership is as a model of social organization. It encourages sprawl, is an environmental disaster, leads to alienation and loneliness, fractures tax bases, restricts economic mobility and turns the political economy of housing into the loving hunger games.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 30, 2020

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Lol, so Newsom has made evictions illegal during the crisis, but back rent is still due. But mortgage payments get waived for 90 days. What the gently caress is this loving poo poo?

So is back rent the rent that was already due (ie arrears) or does it mean rent that would be due, but is not paid?

And does mortgage payments being waived mean the mortgage is actually credited with payment, or is the mortgage basically extended by 90 days (dunno how interest would work there) and the principal ultimately due remains unchanged, or spread into future payments, or what?

Because I don't see how Newsom could issue a true rent/mortgage jubilee without possibly entering into serious 5th amendment violations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zachack posted:

So is back rent the rent that was already due (ie arrears) or does it mean rent that would be due, but is not paid?

And does mortgage payments being waived mean the mortgage is actually credited with payment, or is the mortgage basically extended by 90 days (dunno how interest would work there) and the principal ultimately due remains unchanged, or spread into future payments, or what?

Because I don't see how Newsom could issue a true rent/mortgage jubilee without possibly entering into serious 5th amendment violations.

For renters, you can't be evicted, but all past-due rent payments require payment in full 6 months from the end of the crisis. But for homeowners, mortgages don't have to be paid for 90 days and interest is applied but non-payment can't go on credit history so that there's just absolutely no penalty for non-payment of mortgages during this time except for the interest that collects.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

fermun posted:

For renters, you can't be evicted, but all past-due rent payments require payment in full 6 months from the end of the crisis. But for homeowners, mortgages don't have to be paid for 90 days and interest is applied but non-payment can't go on credit history so that there's just absolutely no penalty for non-payment of mortgages during this time except for the interest that collects.

When is the interest and deferred principal due? If it's immediately after 90 days that's not a non-penalty, it's a significant penalty, and losing three months of principal payments means taking the hit of "unnaturally" higher interest payments as well, since the interest portion isn't decreasing due to principal payment, plus ultimately the outcome is the same if you can't get the money (loss of home).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Haven't laid anyone off yet. Dispensary demand has dropped a bit because many are only letting 1 person in at a time. But my delivery service accounts (Weedmaps, eaze) have ramped up in terms of PO sizes.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Zachack posted:

When is the interest and deferred principal due? If it's immediately after 90 days that's not a non-penalty, it's a significant penalty, and losing three months of principal payments means taking the hit of "unnaturally" higher interest payments as well, since the interest portion isn't decreasing due to principal payment, plus ultimately the outcome is the same if you can't get the money (loss of home).

Don't know. But also you probably still want to fill that escrow account for insurance and property tax. So it seems everybody is hosed. Cant wait to see what happens in a week.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Haven't laid anyone off yet. Dispensary demand has dropped a bit because many are only letting 1 person in at a time. But my delivery service accounts (Weedmaps, eaze) have ramped up in terms of PO sizes.

Good for you.

Can dispensary employees get UI? I thought that was a federally funded (state-run) program.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

El Mero Mero posted:

Good for you.

Can dispensary employees get UI? I thought that was a federally funded (state-run) program.

Dispensary? Not sure. My accountant told me that it's a yes, which was why I planned to lay people off if we were forced to shut down. However you make me want to research this further, I didn't realize that Unemployment was fed funded.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Dispensary? Not sure. My accountant told me that it's a yes, which was why I planned to lay people off if we were forced to shut down. However you make me want to research this further, I didn't realize that Unemployment was fed funded.

The expansion is. Regular UI is funded by payroll taxes, employer and employee both.If you've been withholding and remitting correctly, your people are covered for at least regular UI.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mllaneza posted:

The expansion is. Regular UI is funded by payroll taxes, employer and employee both.If you've been withholding and remitting correctly, your people are covered for at least regular UI.

Thanks for clarifying, I have a real accountant do all the number work as I've been audited every year since inception.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thanks for clarifying, I have a real accountant do all the number work as I've been audited every year since inception.

lmao the state of this country

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Santa Clara County just announced they're extending our existing Shelter in Place order through May 3rd.

e. They also clarified the following (link):

quote:

-Use of playgrounds, dog parks, public picnic areas, and similar recreational areas is prohibited. These areas must be closed to public use.

-Use of shared public recreational facilities such as golf courses, tennis and basketball courts, pools, and rock walls is prohibited. These facilities must be closed for recreational use.

-Sports requiring people to share a ball or other equipment must be limited to people in the same household.

-Most construction—residential and commercial—is prohibited. There are eight types of exceptions including for affordable housing, work on healthcare facilities, homeless shelters and certain types of public works projects.

-Funerals limited to no more than 10 people attending.

double edit: Apparently this applies to all the counties under the current SiP order in the Bay Area, not just Santa Clara.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 31, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sydin posted:

-Funerals limited to no more than 10 people attending.
Does this include the deceased?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the entire Bay just went to May 1 for the shelter in place it looks like. So far my job's holding on but I'm starting to get a little anxious.

In good news, it looks like it is working in flattening the curve so good job folks.

https://www.politico.com/states/cal...olation-1269663

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tony Thurmond just put out a letter basically saying “don’t plan on school being back to normal at least until 20-21”

Even that seems optimistic. My personal wild-rear end guess is that we’ll start 20-21 in September rather than August.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm really starting to regret prepaying for a full year of business related liability insurance without negotiating a discount for this shut down.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I, too, would like a time machine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CopperHound posted:

I'm really starting to regret prepaying for a full year of business related liability insurance without negotiating a discount for this shut down.

Imagine how much you'd regret it if you payed for a full year in a normal year and then never used it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Congrats to President Newsom for having the balls to secede

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: in case it gets deleted, it says
"California is an enterprising, modernizing, nation-state. 40 million strong. Together, we will get through this."

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 1, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Glumslinger posted:

Hell yes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Glumslinger posted:

"California is an enterprising, modernizing, nation-state. 40 million strong. Together, we will get through this."

I can't wait to be part of the CACVRFPTA

California china Vietnam Russia free Pacific trade agteement

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eminent Domain posted:

Yeah, the entire Bay just went to May 1 for the shelter in place it looks like. So far my job's holding on but I'm starting to get a little anxious.

In good news, it looks like it is working in flattening the curve so good job folks.

https://www.politico.com/states/cal...olation-1269663

May 3rd now. I guess they decided it was a bad idea to release the quarantine on a Friday night.

quote:

I, too, would like a time machine.

I'd make a killing on masks and toilet paper with one of those. My motto is "Think Small."

Edit: Do you think it's an oversight or intentional that the new verbiage says restaurants can only be open for takeout, when before it said takeout and delivery?

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 1, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The US's handsomest governor about to become North America's handsomest president apparently.

Seriously though, say what you want about Gavbot, but locking us down relatively early probably saved thousands of lives. Knock on wood, obviously but it looks like our curve is beginning to flatten.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Someone edit the CA bear into a vitruvian man with a fasces in one hand and a redwood branch in the other.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FMguru posted:

Hell yes.

Goddamn I want a version of the Russian coat of arms with the California bear now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Goddamn I want a version of the Russian coat of arms with the California bear now.

I should have said a two-headed vitruvian bear - this is what I was going for.
My b.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the gavbot won't secede but the renormalizing of serious disputes between state and federal government speeds the day of the fracture of our nation, so i give him half credit

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I told my contractors to make the rest of my house as insecure as possible so that they would have a lot of work to do to secure the building and make it habitable before May 3.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

:ohdear:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

just get it over with at this point imo. trump's second term isn't going to be any better

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

social distancing even easier in riverside because with everything shut down there's fuckall to leave the house for. although the air is marginally better so taking a bike ride to break up the monotony is nice

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

slicing up eyeballs posted:

social distancing even easier in riverside because with everything shut down there's fuckall to leave the house for. although the air is marginally better so taking a bike ride to break up the monotony is nice

Same with San Bernardino county.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

social distancing even easier in riverside because there's fuckall to leave the house for.

Fixed

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"May projections are based on an assumption that doubling time remains the same", e.g. that the social distancing measures have been totally ineffective. That chart has no flattening of the curve, it's purely upward slope, and should be considered as more of a cautionary tactic to convince more people to distance, and not an actual projection, which would predict a peak.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
rent is due, pay up fuckers.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Imagine getting worked up about this

"You can't say that! California isn't a nation-state!! Noooooooo"

"Haha 5th largest economy go brrrrr"

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Well it *was* the 5th largest economy. We'll see what the 'rona has to say about that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Family Values posted:

Well it *was* the 5th largest economy. We'll see what the 'rona has to say about that.

5th largest work from home economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
IIRC CA is the 5th largest economy largely on the back of Silicon Valley, which as we all know isn't worth even 5% of what "the market" says it is.