Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The US is a lot of weird holdings in reality

https://youtu.be/ASSOQDQvVLU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does the third amendment apply to hotels and such

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
SCOTUS has already ruled that it doesn’t apply to prison guard’s barrackments.

So probably not, since the hotel isn’t a private domicile.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A hotel isn't a private domicile but it is the actual military and not prison guards/LEOs. Who knows how the SCOTUS would rule on it because we're in 2020.

It likely would go before the Supreme Court if they tried to executive order or some weird bullshit to get the hotels to quarter the sailors, the only way it could happen is if the Navy pays market rate for the rooms.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 1, 2020

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
10bux says it would be a 5/4 split allowing the Constitution to get shat on until further notice regardless of any legal precedents.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

SCOTUS has already ruled that it doesn’t apply to prison guard’s barrackments.

So probably not, since the hotel isn’t a private domicile.

They've also ruled that it doesn't apply to police.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nothing like hot RDC on RDC sex. Can't wait to bang out that female AOC that makes Hulk Hogan look like Pokimane.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Phillips posted:

Nothing like hot RDC on RDC sex. Can't wait to bang out that female AOC that makes Hulk Hogan look like Pokimane.

RDC gonna be loving boots. Gonna say at least 3 people get in trouble. Not with humor I just think it’s really bound to happen at an unusually high rate with these special times.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

LingcodKilla posted:

RDC gonna be loving boots. Gonna say at least 3 people get in trouble. Not with humor I just think it’s really bound to happen at an unusually high rate with these special times.

:mmmsmug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well more than usual and just getting caught. Long time to stew.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1245348615503015936?s=20

Seaman Timmy having to man (sleep in) CVIC sounds like a lot of fun

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LingcodKilla posted:

There has to be some other ways they can stay occupied. Maybe they could take their weapons apart?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cutting your dick off is always an option I suppose.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Update on the Teddy Roosevelt - crew will be allowed to quarantine ashore:

https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/...M4EezVMQrsFIr7I

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Good.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Taken care of the rational thought annual, back to normal operation.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Posted by a dude I used to work with:

quote:

I just had my CPO tell me to violate a lawful, written order from the Commanding Officer,( PG13 for COVID-19). In My area all Barbershops are closed by order of the Governor. Even our NEX barbershop is closed indefinitely. Big Navy sent the message out to relax grooming standards to mitigate exposure to COVID-19. I asked her to speak to the CMC about this issue. Instead of addressing my concerns, she just belittled me and told me that so-and-so barbershop is still taking appointments, you just need to work it out. “We have Sailors in our Command that cut hair, talk the them”.. Once again, instead of actually putting in the work, I was encouraged to Break a Lawful Order.

:chiefsay:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Gotta love when senior leaders ignore not only the instruction but the intent of it as well.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
If a khaki is concerned about grooming standards right now I'd posit that they're a loving upshot awful leader, the normal kind that stay in the navy and eventually make chief.

Basically lol if you're still in.

Speaking as someone whos still in, we're virtually drilling this weekend, which is fantastic. I may have mentioned this at some point already.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 1, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

If a khaki is concerned about grooming standards right now I'd posit that they're a loving upshot awful leader, the normal kind that stay in the navy and eventually make chief.

Basically lol if you're still in.

Speaking as someone whisnstill in, we're virtually drilling this weekend, which is fantastic. I may have mentioned this at some point already.

It is. I've unfortunately got like 4 VTCs a day but it's still better than spending the whole afternoon twiddling thumbs in a cinderblock room for pay.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

It is. I've unfortunately got like 4 VTCs a day but it's still better than spending the whole afternoon twiddling thumbs in a cinderblock room for pay.

Wtf why would anyone be vtcing with anyone? I joked to my unit and told them they'd have to Skype me in uniform of the day to get mustered but lol at actually doing video conferences.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Wtf why would anyone be vtcing with anyone? I joked to my unit and told them they'd have to Skype me in uniform of the day to get mustered but lol at actually doing video conferences.

Morning muster and briefing, khaki call, face to face training, afternoon muster.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m gonna get my clippers out to do my hair over the ears because I hate the feeling but my mullet is gonna grow out.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cross posting from corona thread lol

Homeless Friend posted:

loving lol I just talked to somebody whose going on the USS Mercy. No active testing of inflow, they're being told to bring two weeks of clothing and will be locked into the wards/rooms or w/e for that duration. Where members have their areas and they can't travel around. They didn't mention any ppe and said they'd have to wash clothes in sinks lmfao.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/herd-immunity-could-keep-coronavirus-afflicted-carriers-in-the-fight-former-navy-captain-says-1.624433

quote:

However, Jan van Tol, a former Navy captain who commanded several warships, including the Japan-based USS O’Brien and USS Essex, said it would be a mistake to quarantine most of carrier’s crew ashore.

“One needs to maintain a capital ship on deployment ready to fight at any time,” van Tol, now a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments in Washington, D.C., told Stars and Stripes via email Wednesday.

“We never know when a conflict or crisis might emerge, especially for ships deployed to [the western Pacific] these days, which remains particularly germane given the current tense U.S.-China relations.”

Like, sure, if we were in a shooting war with Russia or China all bets are off but gently caress this take hard

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Bet that guy was fun to work for.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wanna know what's even better for readiness? Not having to replace 40+ sailors who become permanently dead and probably 400+ crew who will potentially not be fit for duty for the rest of the deployment, or maybe ever. Shut up, old man

Commoners fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 2, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's literally the Homer $20 peanut moment but with human lives

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/herd-immunity-could-keep-coronavirus-afflicted-carriers-in-the-fight-former-navy-captain-says-1.624433

Like, sure, if we were in a shooting war with Russia or China all bets are off but gently caress this take hard

Lmao what a piece of poo poo, of course he works for a MIC think tank.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

A 7th Fleet skipper who wants to push ships past any reasonable safe boundary because of a theoretical conflict? :thunk:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If you were to create an appropriate flow of testing/quarantine/remain on board, no in-or-out, you could probably keep the hull quite safe after a three week waiting period, except for potential exposure from stores* or contractor work**. Is the Navy creative enough to design such a strategy, motivated enough to direct it, or agile enough to implement?

Depends on how long this lasts. If US doesn't and adversaries do, nobody else will step in perform maritime functions for the US. If the US does and adversaries do not, the US will have uncontested access to the seas--or at least the only access crewed by members not compromised. The middle options maintain status quo.

*let the stores sit for a week before you touch them, conditioned air will probably dry the virus out, or sanitize the outside. CBRN procedures will handle biologicals in this case.
**I don't have a solution for this one, which is partly why even if contractors are used for a lot of defense labor, we need a couple of teams capable of doing any job wearing a uniform

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

10bux says it would be a 5/4 split allowing the Constitution to get shat on until further notice regardless of any legal precedents.

10 more bux says your definition of "shat on the Constitution" is wholly informed by your personal politics.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

Is the Navy creative enough to design such a strategy, motivated enough to direct it, or agile enough to implement?

No, no, and.... no.

The Navy is quite likely to be completely unable to manage this, just like almost every other facet of the government is overwhelmed right now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My old battalion is going back to work Monday. Hoorah Seabees!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

You ready for recall?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

We've never stopped. Woooo...everyone is essential!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Deploying construction battalions would make sense for humanitarian relief. Recalling IRR personnel from the NCF id need be would make sense.

For these reasons I'm pretty sure I won't be recalled

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1245803893466021889?s=20

FTN

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That CO knew he’d be relieved when the letter went out. Good to see that he sent it anyways.