Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this is the highest complement Trump can give someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yakima Valley cant feed Seattle alone not to mention the rest of Washington, it ain't happening

There's that coalition that wants to split eastern Washington and western Idaho into Jesusland.

Also most of Oregon is California expats that want to build a wall on the state line, so Pacifica probably not happening.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Day 9

“You want to push another epi?” “Sure, why not.”

Overhead on the hospital PA: “As you know, today is National Doctor’s Day. Let’s conclude this quiet moment by standing where you are and applauding our heroic physicians.”

As that played, half a dozen nurses and I were frantically getting into our PPEs outside a suspected COVID room to rush into a Code Blue.

Surprisingly, no one stopped to applaud.

Inside, the calming voice was drowned out by the hiss of a nonrebreather, the labored expiratory moans of the patient, and the warning dings of the bedside monitor. The bedside monitor was not happy that the patient’s heart rate was somewhere in the high 160s and was letting the room know its opinion on the matter.

Narrow complex ventricular tachycardia. But the patient isn’t hypotensive or otherwise unstable. You don’t lay on the paddles of a defibrillator for that.

“You’re going to feel a little funny for a second,” is what the nurse says to reassure the patient. What she really meant was, “We’re going to stop your heart for a second or two to reset your circuit breaker, so if it feels like you’re dying briefly, it’s because you are.” The nurse draws up some adenosine, the other MD in the room slams the bolus into the patient’s veins, and everybody gets to watch the monitor flatline for a held breath before a heart rate returns. Takes two boluses for it to take.

Problem solved.

For 73 minutes.

Nothing was playing overhead for the second Code Blue. Thankfully, an intensivist was already inside running the show. I guess the Residents haven’t been left out to fend for ourselves yet. This time around the bedside monitor was simply furious that the patient stopped breathing.

Pulseless electrical activity, PEA. The heart’s wires are firing but the pump isn’t working. You don’t lay on the paddles of a defibrillator for that either.

Hollywood has lied to you your whole life.

“Do you think we’re going to be able to resuscitate him?” “He’s full Code.” “But do you think we’re going to be able to resuscitate him?” “No, but…” “Right, so it doesn’t matter. We’re running the Code.”

I get my exercise for the day by pressing on the patient’s chest for a couple minutes.

“I don’t really want to intubate him.” The patient gets intubated anyway.

A few people cycle through pushing on the patient’s chest. We haven’t felt a pulse since the Code began.

“How long has it been?” I suspect there’s a countdown timer in the intensivist’s brain that’s ticking towards an alarm labeled Ok, We Tried.

More compressions. Pretty sure I feel a rib break under my palms. That sensation never ceases to make me wince.

Another epi. Still no pulse.

The Doppler to check for a pulse is silent.

The timer goes off.

“That’s it.”

Time of death called.

Feels like COVID is eroding the edges off everyone’s souls in the hospital.

The initial novelty of sharp fear and apprehension standing outside COVID rooms before entering is giving way to a constant background dull dread as we gown up for the tenth or twentieth time that day.

I see my incredibly sharp attending boss distracted, needing to be reminded two or three times whose room he’s about to enter.

The lack of success in curing our patients is also taking its toll. “Successes” have mostly been defined as sending a patient home with personal oxygen tanks and explicit instructions on when to return if they get worse. We’ve had some milder cases that got sent home without oxygen, but they seem fewer than the number we send to get tubed.

I feel very bitter about this. It makes the sign out front, a sign that expresses nothing but pure gratitude and love, seem somehow mocking.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine trying to live in a small nation state with the rising white hoard around Spokane

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Made a re-do of Day 9 since that update turned into a standalone short fiction-ish thing.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Squizzle posted:

that is a p standard “beep boop law robot” judge perspective tbh

:thunk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Imagine trying to live in a small nation state with the rising white hoard around Spokane

Imagine trying to watch that horde march anywhere lmao
Charge of the light rascal brigade

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MadJackal posted:

Made a re-do of Day 9 since that update turned into a standalone short fiction-ish thing.

Love these posts, sounds like truly mild cases are a myth or from bcg or something lmao we're hosed

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i think dr. fauci is bad and his alignment with the administration is hurting the situation more than he's helping it

edit: I also think this will end with him probably taking his life when the death rates is an order of magnitude higher than the admins expect

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is Washington State cooking the books or have the deaths really gone down? No deaths there in 24hrs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Is Washington State cooking the books or have the deaths really gone down? No deaths there in 24hrs.

search ur heart and you will find the truth

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Inslee is actually good at his job, though they are probably still undercounting

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

Crime in NYC dropped like 50%

domestic abuse way up tho

so crime is up then

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

i think dr. fauci is bad and his alignment with the administration is hurting the situation more than he's helping it

edit: I also think this will end with him probably taking his life when the death rates is an order of magnitude higher than the admins expect

Yah he’s got weepy suicide written all over him

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

no they're having a problem with reporting: https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/virus-deaths-hit-223-in-wash-as-glitches-plague-statewide-reporting-system

basically a contractor built their system years ago for 5 million bucks and it can't cope with a few thousand cases in it all at once

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wasn't WA reporting that the system they use to track and report was having issues?

I'd believe the rate is dropping but wouldn't believe they're down to 0/day

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

probably both, Washington was at the start of things in a lot of ways and is handling things alright but also almost certainly is under counting

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yah he’s got weepy suicide written all over him

I hope he does it on tv during a presser

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1245475224604246018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MadJackal posted:

The lack of success in curing our patients is also taking its toll. “Successes” have mostly been defined as sending a patient home with personal oxygen tanks and explicit instructions on when to return if they get worse. We’ve had some milder cases that got sent home without oxygen, but they seem fewer than the number we send to get tubed.

I'm guessing you cant get those good Cuba Recombinant Interferon Alpha 2B anti-virals?

have they discontinued the trumpdrug cocktails?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Rip. Plotted a coup or something

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

two beautifully made hospital ships

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Inslee is actually good at his job, though they are probably still undercounting

Not reporting right now due to technical difficulties, I think.

Edit- beaten:

Epic High Five posted:

wasn't WA reporting that the system they use to track and report was having issues?

I'd believe the rate is dropping but wouldn't believe they're down to 0/day

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Inside, the calming voice was drowned out by the hiss of a nonrebreather

Why weren't they on a vent?

And is this more the cardiac aspects killing people?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hospital ships are of questionable utility bc if you can fly planes you can just fly everyone out of the war zone and if you can't then the enemy can just use their planes to take out your hospital ship

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

got any sevens posted:

so crime is up then

add in 'overall' and it makes sense - more domestic abuse, but fewer overall calls

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Be cool if the next American nuke used kills only Americans

I'll be that scene from terminator shaking a chain link fence, except im lollin

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Love these posts, sounds like truly mild cases are a myth or from bcg or something lmao we're hosed

MadJackal isn't working in the mild cases sitting at home Care Unit. Their posts are absolutely important to remember and point to the hard work and sacrifice going on in hospitals around the globe, and the lives forever changed or lost from the Roni; but realize that the "mild" cases aren't the ones making it to the doors of the I(ntensive) Care Unit (ICU).

I have to remind myself of this regularly lest I go insane.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Squizzle posted:

you are fake post

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

like if you're already building something couldn't you just build something on land or eminent domain some old buildings or that loving hospital that some jackass bought because he wants to profiteer on a goddamn pandemic or something

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Schnorkles posted:

listen you maroon do yuo think I just land near the landlord and pay the rent??

well you are the landlord so

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how bout instead of hospital ships you build actual hospitals

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dang :rip: squizzle, went at the king and missed

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal thank you so much btw

they've cancelled rotations currently so im just sitting here with a thumb up my rear end wishing i was back in pulm crit care

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

eric ciaramella posted:

sure thing *fills stadium with folding cots for people to die on*

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

or stop closing them lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
loving lol I just talked to somebody whose going on the USS Mercy. No active testing of inflow, they're being told to bring two weeks of clothing and will be locked into the wards/rooms or w/e for that duration. Where members have their areas and they can't travel around. They didn't mention any ppe and said they'd have to wash clothes in sinks lmfao.

lmaopocalypse
Mar 16, 2020

Avoiding the topic and just making us look like poo poo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve always liked madjackle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Homeless Friend posted:

loving lol I just talked to somebody whose going on the USS Mercy. No active testing of inflow, they're being told to bring two weeks of clothing and will be locked into the wards or w/e for that duration. They didn't mention any ppe and said they'd have to wash clothes in sinks lmfao

lol we made death ships