Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That sounds dumb as hell how did it raise 8 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Has anyone said "no" yet?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

zwdzk posted:

Has anyone said "no" yet?

no

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
was there ever any

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Goast posted:

was there ever any

Everquest

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Goast posted:

was there ever any

Wrath of the Lich King era of WOW

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Goast posted:

was there ever any

Coke Studios.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
shores of hazeron

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Goast posted:

was there ever any

I was about to go all how dare you and talk about a crappy old game I played 20 years ago.

Then I googled it and holy poo poo, it's still alive: https://www.helbreath.net/

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Just bring back Asheron’s Call’s Darktide server, prechat ban

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd prefer subscription models as oppose to F2P.

why? a well designed f2p system is way better for the player than subscriptions.

besides, with the amount of items limited to mog station now, it's already a microtransaction f2p game, it just also has a subscription you have to pay for

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Goast posted:

was there ever any

Wurm Online

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Truga posted:

why? a well designed f2p system is way better for the player than subscriptions.

The issue is that from my experience this isn't that common.

I also would prefer to just pay a monthly fee and have everything unlocked. I don't like the feeling of wanting to try something and having it locked by a payment and determine whether or not it is worth it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't mind paying for microtransactions as long as it isn't too much of a pisstake (hello $60 GTA shark cards that don't buy a single super yacht), as I'm at least getting something immediately in exchange for my money. Subscriptions feel like getting nothing tangible for your money except being mildly coerced into playing the game regardless of whether you want to at the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

besides, with the amount of items limited to mog station now, it's already a microtransaction f2p game, it just also has a subscription you have to pay for

If it didn't have a subscription, going by what I've seen in other MMOs, the number of Mog Station items would go way up and start eating into the art budget for in-game items noticeably. We'd absolutely start seeing fewer in-game earnable armor sets and a lot more Mog Station outfits, for example.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah like i said: well designed f2p/mt system :v:

first of all, for people who only play once every few years, you keep the subscription option. don't want that "uhh, i haven't played for 3 years, i have to pay *how much* to access everything?!" reaction from people. there's a downside to having subs, but this is one pretty good advantage, and for a story driven game like ff14 especially, this is going to be a decent chunk of the population.

for the rest, just charge cash for new content. not for cosmetics or gear directly, just content that drops said gear. market packs as expansions or dlc or whatever. this is basically already happening, but instead of having a $10 charge per month, you have a $5-20 charge per content pack depending on size/age. you can bet your rear end people are gonna shell $15 for gear in new raids, or $10 to unlock eureka.

this way, you can keep all the players who would play, but play on-and-off so they don't feel like a sub is justified, which is a pretty big issue for sub games. having the game just installed and ready to go at any time brings a lot of people back from a hiatus, while having to get your CC out is a barrier big enough for a lot of people, which is why sub MMOs constantly try to get you back with the "please come back for a week for free" when you unsub. ff14 has this happening every 3 months for a month like clockwork lately.

there was an article/study on this a few years back which i now can't find that explored subscription services like mmos and netflixes and how much effort goes into trying to get people to resub once they're off with free trials and poo poo because getting someone whose sub lapsed back is apparently one of the hardest things ever.

you might have lost a few bucks here and there on people who have been subbed for 10 years continuously this way, but you more than make up for it by keeping players in the game who would have restarted the game on a whim if it was f2p, but didn't want to interact with the fuckin mog station.

and as a plus, you don't need to pay for content you don't want/like, but still keep playing old content you "own". i entirely unsubbed for like 6 months on the tail end of SB because gently caress eureka. i wanted to still play, but outside of relic grind there really wasn't nearly enough poo poo to justify a sub for me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Chopstix posted:

Just bring back Asheron’s Call’s Darktide server, prechat ban

This got me to check on the status of AC private servers and things aren't looking great. The community is split between two different platforms. Both look playable but only have content up to about October 2005.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ever just log into a game you haven't touched for awhile and totally forget about the guild you made

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Truga posted:

first of all, for people who only play once every few years, you keep the subscription option. don't want that "uhh, i haven't played for 3 years, i have to pay *how much* to access everything?!" reaction from people. there's a downside to having subs, but this is one pretty good advantage, and for a story driven game like ff14 especially, this is going to be a decent chunk of the population.

for the rest, just charge cash for new content. not for cosmetics or gear directly, just content that drops said gear. market packs as expansions or dlc or whatever. this is basically already happening, but instead of having a $10 charge per month, you have a $5-20 charge per content pack depending on size/age. you can bet your rear end people are gonna shell $15 for gear in new raids, or $10 to unlock eureka.

this way, you can keep all the players who would play, but play on-and-off so they don't feel like a sub is justified, which is a pretty big issue for sub games. having the game just installed and ready to go at any time brings a lot of people back from a hiatus, while having to get your CC out is a barrier big enough for a lot of people, which is why sub MMOs constantly try to get you back with the "please come back for a week for free" when you unsub. ff14 has this happening every 3 months for a month like clockwork lately.

there was an article/study on this a few years back which i now can't find that explored subscription services like mmos and netflixes and how much effort goes into trying to get people to resub once they're off with free trials and poo poo because getting someone whose sub lapsed back is apparently one of the hardest things ever.

you might have lost a few bucks here and there on people who have been subbed for 10 years continuously this way, but you more than make up for it by keeping players in the game who would have restarted the game on a whim if it was f2p, but didn't want to interact with the fuckin mog station.

and as a plus, you don't need to pay for content you don't want/like, but still keep playing old content you "own". i entirely unsubbed for like 6 months on the tail end of SB because gently caress eureka. i wanted to still play, but outside of relic grind there really wasn't nearly enough poo poo to justify a sub for me.

I...I can't believe you're saying this garbage with a straight face :psyduck: yes instead of a subscription let's nickle and dime players for access to every little piece of content! Even Korean MMOs wouldn't dare pull that poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

I think FFXIV knows its playerbase enough that shifting everything to a non-sub, even if it's better for the ol' pocketbook, will be met with pure hatred.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Truga posted:

There's barely anything good on the mogstation, and definitely nothing anyone needs. :confused:

Truga posted:

Also, what the hell? Just give me the sub that lets me access everything.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I think games get appreciably worse when you couple content development so tightly with market forces. Like obviously there's always metrics around how many people did each piece of content, but when you make it super glaringly obvious by having a count of exactly how much money each bit of content made, it's going to be harder to stop suits from saying things like "why are we still developing ultimate raids", which IMO has a negative effect on a game that's built to support a broad swathe of playstyles.

Like look at GW2, it went from a coherent world with a variety of content to a string of tiny microtransaction islands where every one of them has to have some kind of mindless currency grind that everyone can take part in to drive sales. Dungeons, raids, WvW, and PvP weren't helping the bottom line enough so they effectively got jettisoned. Mount skins were a popular seller so they started banging out as many mounts and skins as possible. They hard committed to this strategy and now they're floundering because people are bored with it, but it's kinda too late to win back people who were interested in the variety of content.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chomposaur posted:

Like look at GW2, it went from a coherent world with a variety of content to a string of tiny microtransaction islands where every one of them has to have some kind of mindless currency grind that everyone can take part in to drive sales. Dungeons, raids, WvW, and PvP weren't helping the bottom line enough so they effectively got jettisoned. Mount skins were a popular seller so they started banging out as many mounts and skins as possible. They hard committed to this strategy and now they're floundering because people are bored with it, but it's kinda too late to win back people who were interested in the variety of content.
GW2 made some big changes to WvW recently, added new pvp tournaments, did a huge balance wave for pvp, and added pvp exclusive legendary trinkets. They also ran a 2v2 league and have some esports thing going on.

I agree that charging for each piece of content is not sustainable. You end up putting newer players in a disadvantaged position and it doesn't scale over long periods of time. When you attempt to bundle later there are always people who will complain, and there's the whole issue of "who is actually still playing the content?" GW2 has done a remarkable job keeping most things relevant.

GW2, like many games, has had trouble keeping the endgame fresh. It's somewhat difficult to do with their model of not invalidating older gear and not doing massive changes like expansions do in other games. People don't like to accept it, but nearly every game has a shelf-life. In some modern titles it's a rolling shelf life based on when you started playing, how many similar games you've played before, and how much time you spend on it. But it's still there for 99% of players.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xun posted:

I...I can't believe you're saying this garbage with a straight face :psyduck: yes instead of a subscription let's nickle and dime players for access to every little piece of content! Even Korean MMOs wouldn't dare pull that poo poo

What they're describing is sorta similar to Elder Scrolls Online's model, where you can either pay a sub and you get all the content updates as part of the sub (though you still have to buy expansions), or you don't pay the sub and you buy the content updates piecemeal.

It works well for ESO but I think it'd be a disaster for FFXIV, especially because of how much emphasis FFXIV puts on its story being one continuous narrative. In ESO, each story drop mostly works standalone, so you can buy them piecemeal and be fine, but that wouldn't work in FFXIV at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

GW2 had a good thing with pvp at the start. A nice map design. But then they had 4 maps which is also a bad thing.

They were weird from the start.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

What they're describing is sorta similar to Elder Scrolls Online's model, where you can either pay a sub and you get all the content updates as part of the sub (though you still have to buy expansions), or you don't pay the sub and you buy the content updates piecemeal.

It works well for ESO but I think it'd be a disaster for FFXIV, especially because of how much emphasis FFXIV puts on its story being one continuous narrative. In ESO, each story drop mostly works standalone, so you can buy them piecemeal and be fine, but that wouldn't work in FFXIV at all.

The poo poo he's suggested to portion off are like, tiny fractions of content. I hope ESO isn't trying to charge for access to 4 raid boss fights or a side distraction area. Might as well charge money to unlock the expert roulette (3 dungeons) every few months too. That sure does feel great even disregarding any story stuff.

Xun fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 3, 2020

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Goast posted:

was there ever any

Planetside 1 for like 5 months

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

remember when eso had a problem with pvp because people would use help I'm stuck to teleport around

then they removed help I'm stuck from pvp

and you would get stuck for hours until someone moved you from where ever you were stuck at

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still never understood why they didn't make ESO play like an Elder Scrolls game. That'd be what'd draw me to an MMO called "Elder Scrolls Online".

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Still never understood why they didn't make ESO play like an Elder Scrolls game. That'd be what'd draw me to an MMO called "Elder Scrolls Online".

As in have the same combat? The weakest part of elder scrolls games?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Also, what the hell? Just give me the sub that lets me access everything.

great job at not reading the 2nd loving line of the post everyone

jesus christ, cmon people

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's barely anything good on the mogstation, and definitely nothing anyone needs. :confused:

the only way for me to get a knee length skirt on any of the classes i play is to drop $20 on the mog station, and that's really incredibly loving lovely for a sub based game :colbert:

e: also lmfao @ "nickle and diming", they're already doing that at $10 a month instead of $30 every 3-4 months, but i guess that's fine?

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 4, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yes because that actually feels different to players. How you present a monetization scheme is just as loving important as how much it actually ends up costing (not to mention companies inevitably gaming that for MAX PROFFITTSS). And yes, your system would make it feel like players are being nickled and dimed even if they were to charge pennies per transaction. How many freemium games do you play?

Tbh it sounds like you just don't like ff14 that much

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I like ff14 a lot, i've been playing since ARR.

I played a lot of f2p games in the past, but there's only two types I've ever stuck with:
stuff like warframe or path of exile, where you spend $20-40 on inventory space and anything else is just random cosmetics you might or might not want
stuff like d&d online, where i can buy content i like and then play indefinitely at my own pace without having to pay for a sub.

I guess a honourable mention goes to gw2, though i don't play that much anymore because all my friends quit.

What I do know for a fact though, is that out of my group of friends, only one plays ff14 with me. I could easily get several of them to play if they could pay for content as they go through it, but they feel like paying $10 a month for something they might not have a lot of time to play in strict 30 day chunks isn't worth it.

Just because I dislike subscriptions doesn't mean I dislike the content.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As I said earlier, I dislike subscriptions because I feel like I'm being coerced into playing whether I want to or not at the time, otherwise I'll be wasting money I've already spent, or at least not making good use of it. If subs work for you then that's great, but not everyone has the same perspective.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's nice to see that the same tired argument over subscription value continues even in 2020. It's comforting.

$12/mo is roughly $0.40/day whether you play or not. Buying 1-2 meals at a taco bell, depending on how fat you are, costs more than the sub.

Don't think about the sub in trying to squeeze value out of it, or something, that will ruin the game for you. Buy the sub and instantly unsub. Then consciously go and buy it the next time you want to play once the sub lapses.

They don't really want you to stay subbed anyways apparently. It's more like a theme park ticket, where you go back in to see the new poo poo or just do the things you like or whatever. Or don't.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Cash is cash, no matter how small or large. I'm glad you're well off enough to not have to care about it, but not everyone is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, playing video games is inherently gonna cost money (especially MMOs) and $12 isn't much as far as video game purchases go. If you play any video game trying to squeeze value out of the purchase it's gonna ruin the purchase it's like a sunk cost fallacy. Enjoy it or don't.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ARR is $20 and as long as a full game. When you purchase the game you get enough time and significant change to complete it. This makes the cost of "beating" ARR in the line with the standard price of purchasing any old game to play and beat.

Now let's assume that I purchase a new expansion for $40. If I bought Shadowbringers at launch that would include two other games and Shadowbringers itself. Assuming each expansion takes 40 hours to complete I would say the average player would beat the expansion in a month and a little change. Multiplayer the monthly subscription fee of $12 by 4 months that adds up to $48. Add the $48 to the $40 price tag of Shadowbringers and the $20 price tag of ARR and you get $108 to "beat" Final Fantasy XIV at its current state. This may sound like a lot, but considering the fact that you are getting one "new" game (Shadowbringers) and three "old" games, this would regularly amount to $120 if they were being sold as single player titles. This makes Final Fantasy XIV a far better investment than say jumping into Final Fantasy XIII in its heyday or jumping into Final Fantasy VII today where the first title in a series that will at least be a trilogy will be half the cost of Final Fantasy XIV alone.

And yes, there is still a fair amount of micro-transactions in Final Fantasy XIV but...there are still a fair amount of micro-transactions in every video game today not published by Nintendo. The reason for the subscription model is so that the game doesn't have to go overboard with the micro-transactions to the parody level that the typical MMO is seen as. And yes, typical game micro-transactions typical lock the horny under a paywall. This is why skirt-gate is a thing.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 4, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm a pretty heavy mmo player and it took me over a month to finish ARR.

although, back then the trial was only 2 weeks and only up to level 20 IIRC. 35-50 is probably doable in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Comrayn posted:

As in have the same combat? The weakest part of elder scrolls games?

Elder Scrolls is a first person game.