Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

I genuinely thought this was a funny joke cos it’s Wednesday

gently caress

lol same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TheRat posted:

Fair enough. Let's all enjoy this instead:

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comme...sively-1.498669

e: Cat tax

'Uniquely nasty' = laying the groundwork for why antisemitism in the Labour party is suddenly and magically no longer an issue, once Starmer takes over.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Blood liable sounds like something a demonic lawyer would invent.

I stand by my poor spelling.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

big fan of the doctor zands twitter account and the extended universe.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Unkempt posted:

My body has decided that now would be the perfect time to try those 'haemmorhoids' we've all heard so much about. Perhaps those who enjoy the sensation of having large, jagged objects shoved up their arseholes would appreciate it but I've found it's not to my taste.

I found Germoloids to be a godsend. Little waxy torpedos about the size of your pinky (unless you have freakishly huge hands) that you stuff up your beanchute. Wet one and wipe the waxiness over your ringpiece before inserting it - takes the edge right off.

And if you can, lay on your back rather than sitting upright until everything's back to normal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, different strokes for different folks, but that seems like terrible advice.

username/post combo too.

Letting go of trying to keep track helps imo

Probably is different strokes but yeah your brain changes to respond to what you're doing and obsessing about it just works you up and is no help whatsoever.

Things are gonna be different for a while but then your brain will snap back once things go back to the olde ways, you just gotta take as little psychic damage as possible until then.
And easiest way to do that is just roll with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Biggus Dickus posted:

I found Germoloids to be a godsend. Little waxy torpedos about the size of your pinky (unless you have freakishly huge hands) that you stuff up your beanchute. Wet one and wipe the waxiness over your ringpiece before inserting it - takes the edge right off.

And if you can, lay on your back rather than sitting upright until everything's back to normal.
*frantically googles largest bean*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The music kicked rear end, especially during the crazy Dark Satanic Mills bit.

And I don't give a poo poo about the brainworms, the "forging" of the rings and flying them in was loving amazing theatre, and if you don't think so you have literally no soul.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Theirs is a land of hope and glory, mine is the green field and the factory floor.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm pretty certain that if I let go of my schedule altogether then I'd be on a 28-hour day.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but your lack of belief in them does not mean you can stop participating in them, because your participation is enforced, you can not op out of the the product of electoralism, your lack of vote is not a protest, it is a tacit acceptance, functionally. The order of society does not permit you to protest or opt out, any more than you can opt out of money.

If my vote is pointless to the extent that even voting in the most micro level election possible has me losing horribly, then how is that different to not voting at all?

And don't give me "not voting is letting the bad guys win" because they're winning anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucat posted:

If my vote is pointless to the extent that even voting in the most micro level election possible has me losing horribly, then how is that different to not voting at all?

And don't give me "not voting is letting the bad guys win" because they're winning anyway.

Because that's also true if you win, the chance of any vote mattering is virtually non existent, but that idea being so prevalent (and the resultant lack of engagement in politics) is a major source of political dysfunction.

You live in a society whereby any form of political interaction (or non interaction) you do has basically zero chance of mattering because that's the nature of existing in a world with millions of other people, but the desire to simply not engage with it is a primary method by which power is entrenched at the top.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm pretty certain that if I let go of my schedule altogether then I'd be on a 28-hour day.

That's actually natural, IIRC if you take away environmental cues most mammals settle into a 26ish hour cycle.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I know I've lapsed into falling asleep not long after 9pm and waking up a little before 5am but perhaps that's just me being weird.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, different strokes for different folks, but that seems like terrible advice.

username/post combo too.

The best way to help someone impose order upon their own life is demonstrating why it can be a necessity.

The pseudoprofound nonsense in the post is a great blueprint to ending up eating nothing but ice cream and beans and ending up playing Minecraft until your eyes hurt too much to continue on more dawns than a few. [Ask] me about researching eye drops for this very problem.

Eventually you get tired of living like that and have a much better understanding of what you need to do and why.

I've been cut off from most of society for over ten years (due to a severe injury leaving me with mobility issues) and the madness will take over even the most fastidious soul eventually.

You keep waiting for the day when things go back to "normal" and then it just never comes, you just slowly realize this is the new normal, and you keep giving yourself passes just to wait a couple more days... or weeks... or months... to wait it out and get back to your life. Just until I've dealt with the current problem at hand.

This is going to be a rough ride for a lot of people.

Also yeah the nick is a reference to how it feels to play videogames when you've got severe chronic pain. I don't enjoy the tasks I'm completing in the games, and the games are nothing but endless monotony, but focusing on a task I can complete helps me not focus on the pain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I know I've lapsed into falling asleep not long after 9pm and waking up a little before 5am but perhaps that's just me being weird.

You're sleeping when it's dark and waking when it's light, it's quite normal, IMO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

pumpinglemma posted:

28 hour days are good for short periods of time, I used to use them to shift between day shifts and night shifts.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

pumpinglemma posted:

That's fine, you get six per week and it all works out nicely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I think there're different ideas about how to manage time (as previously noted I have serious problems with my relationship to time and how anxious it makes me) but I think we can all agree that Factory Time sucks poo poo and is a horrible capitalist intrusion into workers' lives and no-one should be trying to force themselves to live a WFH 9 to 5, surely

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's good idea to get changed every day and wear something which isn't pjs. structure is nice and schedules are kinda important for sanity or everything becomes a miserable blur and you'll end up forgetting to clean your teeth or shower.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's actually natural, IIRC if you take away environmental cues most mammals settle into a 26ish hour cycle.
Doesn’t work super-well when you’re in online D&D games with friends, though. (I know, trap sprung...)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I think there're different ideas about how to manage time (as previously noted I have serious problems with my relationship to time and how anxious it makes me) but I think we can all agree that Factory Time sucks poo poo and is a horrible capitalist intrusion into workers' lives and no-one should be trying to force themselves to live a WFH 9 to 5, surely

My company reduced its operational hours to 9-5 and my previous flexi-time shifts are all now locked into this nightmare schedule.

I've only just stopped automatically waking up at 6 to get ready and head to the office for my usual nice early start and it's going to be a real shitter getting back on that schedule when this is done and dusted.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The real sad thing is I spent about 10 years of my life living with no schedule and just sitting on my butt playing video games. This is remding me that I willingly lived like that and it's depressing as hell.

i destroyed my late teens/early 20s and this feels like a mini version of that. fuuuuck.

e: also i feel for you endlessmonotony, what the rest of us have to go through sounds pretty minor to what you're living with. sorry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone thinks they destroyed their late teens/early 20s, whether it's by working too hard, partying too hard, staying in too hard.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've never seen much harm in wasting time, what else are we good for

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

big fan of the doctor zands twitter account and the extended universe.

I never really 'got' the Zands character until recently, but seeing the slow descent into madness of somebody totally trapped in an all-consuming addiction to 'going viral' has been pretty entertaining.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I thought I'd wasted my teens/early twenties but then I looked around and realised I was 40.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess I could have lived like that and been happier about it but that's not because of living like that it was just depression, having got a bit of a handle on that I'm 100% fine living like that and if I had an ideal it'd be to graduate to slightly more grown up toys like machine tools and house renovation.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I left one job in April last year and didn't start my next one until September and kept wondering when the boredom and dissatisfaction with sitting on the sofa all day playing video games I'd been led to expect would kick in. Never did, the whole experience absolutely owned.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone thinks they destroyed their late teens/early 20s, whether it's by working too hard, partying too hard, staying in too hard.

true, i mean i did play a TON of video games and it was fun i guess. and weirdly i met my first two bfs through video games so it's not all bad.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah to be totally honest thus far the isolation is really reinforcing how far I've come since those dark days. I'm doing nothing and adoring it instead of wallowing in misery and fear.

but then, nothing comforts me quite like everyone else being as visually distressed and anxious as I generally am.

thus far quarentine has owned tbh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Olympics Opening Ceremony was cool as hell the problem is that people think that it was a golden age of Britain when it was actually loving miserable for millions of Brits.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
except for the pooping, the pooping I could leave.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I destroyed my late teens / early twenties by having a breakdown and loving up university.

Now I am paying for it.

I mean literally, I have £30k of loans to pay off still.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

CoolCab posted:

I've never seen much harm in wasting time, what else are we good for

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I guess I could have lived like that and been happier about it but that's not because of living like that it was just depression, having got a bit of a handle on that I'm 100% fine living like that and if I had an ideal it'd be to graduate to slightly more grown up toys like machine tools and house renovation.

yup yup yup

EDIT

CoolCab posted:

yeah to be totally honest thus far the isolation is really reinforcing how far I've come since those dark days. I'm doing nothing and adoring it instead of wallowing in misery and fear.

but then, nothing comforts me quite like everyone else being as visually distressed and anxious as I generally am.

thus far quarentine has owned tbh

lol yup

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Olympic Opening Ceremony was a perfect picture of early 2010s Britain, especially the part where they forcibly removed all the homeless and sex workers but didn't actually provide them accommodation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bajorans too

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

The Olympics Opening Ceremony was cool as hell the problem is that people think that it was a golden age of Britain when it was actually loving miserable for millions of Brits.

The problem was China did it right before us but bigger and better. A mistake we're determined not to repeat with our Corona virus spread.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

I left one job in April last year and didn't start my next one until September and kept wondering when the boredom and dissatisfaction with sitting on the sofa all day playing video games I'd been led to expect would kick in. Never did, the whole experience absolutely owned.

try it when you don't have a guaranteed job coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Holy poo poo lol