Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

try it when you don't have a guaranteed job coming up

That's solved by a proper welfare state lets us revel in our failson status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah, this. Knowing you have X days left to do stupid pointless poo poo for fun is a hell of a motivator compared to "I am wasting my life... oh god the money number is going down noooo"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/voyageceo/status/1245415024396587008?s=21

This guy heads a charity that supports people with learning and physical disabilities, brain injuries and autism. Jesus.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

That's solved by a proper welfare state lets us revel in our failson status.

yeah i'm jealous of the people i play wow with who decided in their 30s to go back to uni and its all just been paid for not needing to worry about it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hemale in pain posted:

The real sad thing is I spent about 10 years of my life living with no schedule and just sitting on my butt playing video games. This is remding me that I willingly lived like that and it's depressing as hell.

i destroyed my late teens/early 20s and this feels like a mini version of that. fuuuuck.

e: also i feel for you endlessmonotony, what the rest of us have to go through sounds pretty minor to what you're living with. sorry.

Eh, I've made my peace with it a long time ago.

The point is, I suppose, that this is going to take years to resolve and once we're on the other side massive segments of society have experienced interruptions that will cause a major shift in the way we do things both by necessity and just because we don't feel like bringing certain aspects back.

But the human brain craves normalcy and predictability and it's going to both be operating on the assumptions the world has now, like the ones about the necessity for everyone to work, as well as whatever weird bullshit you start to consider normal during the social isolation.

And holy gently caress do humans ever get weird about the bullshit we believe. As all of this poo poo around us every loving day proves. The world's ruled by lunatics and truth is but a mirage.

The sooner you accept something like this is going to gently caress you up, the sooner you can figure out which bits about it are the important ones to mitigate and develop working coping strategies for. Once we emerge from this, a lot of us are going to have some real rusty skills for at least some aspects of our lives and there's not going to be any getting back to the way things used to be.

The one person you can't trust is yourself because you, as a human, have weird, stupid ideas and need to keep an eye on that to keep that from spiraling out of control.

If you just assume the way things worked back when you could understand it is a valid way to approach the world after this mess, you'll end up a Guardian columnist.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone thinks they destroyed their late teens/early 20s, whether it's by working too hard, partying too hard, staying in too hard.

I didn't!

However I started losing track of my life apart from the illness somewhere in the middle of the Bush Jr era and got myself able to start properly recovering with 2015 and I still have this urge to raise my hand and go "excuse me, what the gently caress did you all do with the world?".

I was real bitter about having lost my youth and health until I started talking to normal people enough to form a coherent picture of what their youths were like and at that point I realized I may not have had the chance to gently caress up my youth... but I most assuredly would have, and in a boring, miserable way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Jesus. The Americans are going to kill as many people through starvation and exposure as they let die from this disease aren't they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Jesus. The Americans are going to kill as many people through starvation and exposure as they let die from this disease aren't they?

'The Americans', lol. How much does UC pay again?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

Going great so far :shepicide:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

I left one job in April last year and didn't start my next one until September and kept wondering when the boredom and dissatisfaction with sitting on the sofa all day playing video games I'd been led to expect would kick in. Never did, the whole experience absolutely owned.

I haven't had a proper job with regular hours in almost 3 years and I only get bored of it in the week between finishing one game and deciding what to play next. The gym being closed has made it a little bit tougher but not by much.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if any of you are unemployed and have at least a 2-2 i recommend just applying for a PPI related role. Pays well, work is somewhat poo poo and its contracting but you pass a phone interview and then deal with recruiter bullshit until you start

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought I'd wasted my teens/early twenties but then I looked around and realised I was 40.

I always thought I didn't start my adolescence til I was 28 though thinking back it might have been 24. I was a quiet, extremely shy, lumpen, geeky teen.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I think there're different ideas about how to manage time (as previously noted I have serious problems with my relationship to time and how anxious it makes me) but I think we can all agree that Factory Time sucks poo poo and is a horrible capitalist intrusion into workers' lives and no-one should be trying to force themselves to live a WFH 9 to 5, surely

It doesn't have to be 9-5 or inflexible, but if you're working from home I think it's important to set yourself a work schedule because otherwise you risk spending all your time semi-at-work and not really getting any time for yourself.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Anyone seen the 111 stats? They indicate that 1.8 million people are probably infected and symptomatic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Done my fortnightly shop. Farm Foods was short of pasta, rice and customers. Was a ghost town.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Anyone seen the 111 stats? They indicate that 1.8 million people are probably infected and symptomatic.

Infected and symptomatic of what, though? Less than 1 in 5 tests have returned positive in this country and the majority of those are seriously ill in hospital cases. Normal cold and flu hasn't gone away.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

111 doesn't exactly have the best reputation for reliability in diagnoses.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's weird, I am feeling a little better following the first few weeks of quarantine.

I have my daily routine, I have my books to read, I have my food prepared and I get to speak to folks here and on phones. I am volunteering/ getting my volunteering thing put in place so I am probably going to get busier quite soon, and I would never wish any of the suffering we are all going through right now on anyone, but it could always be worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly preferring this to the indifferent malice of austerity and the complete lack of clarity around Brexit. No don't remind me that both of those are still happening.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's interesting to watch the US try and rediscover the wheel that is the lifecycle of covid-19
https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1245513642319151110?s=19
https://twitter.com/llborio/status/1245667382808412161
https://twitter.com/RomanMDoll/status/1245710062120828928
but it goes give more resources to point at for 7/14 days being nowhere near good enough for isolation and the lockdown plan needing extended

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's interesting to watch the US try and rediscover the wheel that is the lifecycle of covid-19
but it goes give more resources to point at for 7/14 days being nowhere near good enough for isolation and the lockdown plan needing extended

That's interesting, I thought detectable antibodies by definition meant that you were safe from passing it on because for antibodies to be just hanging around meant that there were no more - or very few - viruses left for the antibodies to kill. Is this a common thing for viruses, or is it something unique to this one? Do they know why/how this happens?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It's nice to read others felt they wasted their 20s. Between bouts of unemployment, poo poo relationships and a fuckload of drugs I think I'm just lucky to be alive. Now I'm in my 30s I'm trying not to repeat those mistakes, if you find the same thing keeps happening to you you haven't learned the lesson yet.

One issue I do have is I absolutely caned films and music when I was younger and now everything seems kind of boring and done before. I've ended up at the fringe of media, watching vlogs on YouTube with less than 10 views, comedy films from Africa shot on phones, field recordings of empty buildings. Even this is getting tedious though. Is all that there is left is...anime?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

One issue I do have is I absolutely caned films and music when I was younger and now everything seems kind of boring and done before. I've ended up at the fringe of media, watching vlogs on YouTube with less than 10 views, comedy films from Africa shot on phones, field recordings of empty buildings. Even this is getting tedious though. Is all that there is left is...anime?

Yeah I feel that - plus also various humanities degrees mean I can't actually enjoy media now, I just internally criticise it

Don't go anime, though. There's no coming back from that

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Nick Triggle BBC Health Correspondent posted:

At this stage, when we are on an upwards trajectory, the fact there have not been significant increases in terms of cases and deaths can perhaps be interpreted as a good sign.

Weren't they crowing about this at the weekend? Was the increase from Sunday to Monday not significant enough for him.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Don't loving go anime mate, christ.

In stopped-clock-is-not-a-total-poo poo-one-a-day news

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1245296840968482817

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's interesting, I thought detectable antibodies by definition meant that you were safe from passing it on because for antibodies to be just hanging around meant that there were no more - or very few - viruses left for the antibodies to kill. Is this a common thing for viruses, or is it something unique to this one? Do they know why/how this happens?
i'm no biologist i just pass along their findings that seem reasonable. as far as i understand it though the antibody response is the start of your body fighting the virus it can find and it takes time until there's sufficient antibodies to overcome the replicating virus. whether you are infectious while all of these swabs return positive unclear, but given everything we've heard a few days after you feel better is the minimum cutoff

boris is still sick 6 days in, but 7 days is fine for a regular person to go back to work

Collateral posted:

Weren't they crowing about this at the weekend? Was the increase from Sunday to Monday not significant enough for him.
it's been a 15%/day increase https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/htmlview#gid=0
but let's be real that's because our testing is abysmal which is why the mortality rate looks insane as well, we're just hitting hospital capacity so boris needs to ramp up testing or will need to explain the mortality spike outwith every other country

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 2, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

hope i don't get straight up fired in this event

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The standard HIV test works on antibodies, which is why it's only accurate after a number of weeks post exposure, so having antibodies for a virus doesn't mean that you're not contagious, only that a certain amount of time has passed from you getting it.

Red Oktober posted:

Don't loving go anime mate, christ.

In stopped-clock-is-not-a-total-poo poo-one-a-day news

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1245296840968482817
It's a good Jess tweet. This crisis is doing all sorts to people.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Reject anime go Bollywood instead

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

justcola posted:

My policy for finding more movies to watch is grabbing anything I see referenced off-hand as being good or weird that I haven't heard of. You get some hits and some misses but it's way better than working through the imdb top 250 or any bullshit like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

I am not entirely sure there is a difference.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I hope this has the same effect as the sought-after Tony Blair endorsement.

Gideon suspects it will, which is why he waited until after the voting deadline ended to publish it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The standard HIV test works on antibodies, which is why it's only accurate after a number of weeks post exposure, so having antibodies for a virus doesn't mean that you're not contagious, only that a certain amount of time has passed from you getting it.

It's a good Jess tweet. This crisis is doing all sorts to people.

She is right enough to tell bigotted shitheals to go gently caress themselves, everybody has a religious duty to do so. Inshallah.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol hancock is still supposed to be self isolating

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1245719591290109959?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

I am not entirely sure there is a difference.

Same amount of sultry staring at your enemies, more swords (just) in anime, more dancing (by lots) in Bollywood. Other than that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm honestly preferring this to the indifferent malice of austerity and the complete lack of clarity around Brexit. No don't remind me that both of those are still happening.

the tories desperately clinging to austerity as it kills the entire country would be really funny to watch if me and everyone i cared about lived on the moon

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

lol yeah we have known this since january

going back and reading the 1st pages of the cpsam corona thread is a trip. several posters immediately and accurately call the pandemic and why. also basically all the info the UK et al is pretending to find out now is available back then.
I think Jan 26th rando posters start realising that ICUs are gonna be hammered and thats the main threat. I appreciate those guys going "buy masks now!" while everyone is calling them fatalists

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah I feel that - plus also various humanities degrees mean I can't actually enjoy media now, I just internally criticise it

I feel like a poo poo zizek watching avengers films and relating them to socio-economic concepts then just skipping all the battle scenes, wondering what I'm doing with my life.

Mr Phillby posted:

:hmmyes:

Something I've been meaning to do is try and list all the films I've watched and put them on a spreadsheet. But then, how far can I be bothered in terms of detail? Lucky I have some time to kill

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Red Oktober posted:

Same amount of sultry staring at your enemies, more swords (just) in anime, more dancing (by lots) in Bollywood. Other than that.

What's the tentacle quotient like in Bollywood

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually now I think about it they do tell you not to give blood for 7 days after symptoms have passed for any infection, so maybe it's not so unlikely that you can still be infectious even though you feel fine.

What I'm saying is that Matt Hancock should be sealed in concrete and fired into the sun just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

nah the antibodies are your secondary immune response that takes a while to get up and running.
the antibody test merely tests whether your body has started or has been producing immune cells tailored to covid, not that the virus is gone or that the virus is still there