Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This commander mechanic in standard is gonna be extremely controversial I think.

Godzilla looks cool, counters that give keyword abilities are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

quote:

You can have up to one chosen companion for each game. That chosen companion doesn't start in your main deck. Rather, it's a card in your sideboard. (If you're playing casually without sideboards, it's just in your collection outside the game. All the same rules apply to it.) This means it doesn't count as a card toward meeting the minimum deck size in the format you're playing, but in Constructed formats, it is one of your fifteen sideboard cards. Just before the game begins, reveal your chosen companion to all players. Once during the game, you may cast your chosen companion from your sideboard. Doing so follows all the normal rules for casting a creature spell, so do so only during your main phase.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mechanics-2020-04-02?x

I guess I spoke too soon. It's still an 8th card in your hand and I still think it's a huge mistake to add it to constructed but at least the rules for it seem as sane as they can be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lootate

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tulul posted:

Here's the mechanics article that will presumably answer all of your questions.

Annoyingly, while it answers what happens when a mutation fizzles (the creature just casts normally), it doesn't answer what happens if a mutate stack dies. :argh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Katana Gomai posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mechanics-2020-04-02?x

I guess I spoke too soon. It's still an 8th card in your hand and I still think it's a huge mistake to add it to constructed but at least the rules for it seem as sane as they can be.

I'm curious how someone can verify that their opponent's deck meets the deckbuilding requirement. Is it supposed to be like revealing a morph except your opponent has to fan out their deck after the match?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Was it worth getting mad about it earlier?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kyrosiris posted:

Annoyingly, while it answers what happens when a mutation fizzles (the creature just casts normally), it doesn't answer what happens if a mutate stack dies. :argh:

Given the fact they didn’t specifically address it, I would assume it all dies at once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One thing I noticed, if a creature cast with mutate tries to resolve and it's target becomes illegal for some reason, it just resolves as it's own creature rather than your opponent getting an 8 for one.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Here's the planeswalker's guide, which has some nice art. Also mentions Narset, who Tainen posted a card for a few months back, I think.

Also, Otter!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

fadam posted:

Was it worth getting mad about it earlier?

a) yes
b) it's still a game-breakingly busted mechanic that has no place in a Standard set
c) :justpost:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

I'm curious how someone can verify that their opponent's deck meets the deckbuilding requirement. Is it supposed to be like revealing a morph except your opponent has to fan out their deck after the match?

Since the restriction on Keruga, the Macrosage is a very big shift in deckbuilding, I imagine playing a janky mess is how you verify it.

If you cheat in a Disdainful Stroke it's not like you can play it without giving up the gig, after all.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Deck checks and judge calls. It's the same as the regular deckbuilding requirements, if someone has a 5-of in their deck you most likely also won't find out.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
We're gonna be rich!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

So, the companions are legendary creatures who begin outside your starting deck and have great influence over the rest of your deck. Where have I heard this before? Ah yes, Commander. Commander players, even though you don't have sideboards, you can still get in on the fun. Each Commander deck may include a chosen companion. It starts outside the game and doesn't count as one of your 100 cards. Just like the rest of your deck, your commander must follow the deck-building rule if you're going to use a companion.
So this is just an auto include in every single red/blue commander deck since it has literally no opportunity cost.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kurieg posted:

So this is just an auto include in every single red/blue commander deck since it has literally no opportunity cost.

yup

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Kurieg posted:

True, unless they print another, even more busted companion card.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kyrosiris posted:

On the stream they said the mutated (stack of) creatures changes zones as one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Katana Gomai posted:

True, unless they print another, even more busted companion card.

Just include both then!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

junan_paalla posted:

On the stream they said the mutated (stack of) creatures changes zones as one.

Oh, on the follow-up one? I had to bounce due to a work meeting. Makes sense.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Looks like I'm finally making an Izzet deck :allears:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Yea, it kind of sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Katana Gomai posted:

b) it's still a game-breakingly busted mechanic that has no place in a Standard set

Oh no! For the minor cost of making your deck suck and telling the opponent exactly how you ruined it, you get an ok body with an etb in your opening hand!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

uPen posted:

Just include both then!

You may only have one Companion!

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I want more cards with that otter, make him a planeswalker.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Otter will be pre-banned in Brawl and Commander.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh no! For the minor cost of making your deck suck and telling the opponent exactly how you ruined it, you get an ok body with an etb in your opening hand!

lol how good can Oko be if all he does is turn your own dudes into 3/3s

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lutri is banned in Commander and brawl

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AngryBooch posted:

You may only have one Companion!

That's extremely not clear on the card!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I mean not to join in with the doom-saying, but I can think of several deck-requirement cards from a few card games (HS being the obvious examples but also Hydralander in Yu-Gi-Oh) that ended up being meta.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tulul posted:

Otter will be pre-banned in Brawl and Commander.

If you have one of those groups that actually cares about the RC

https://twitter.com/sheldonmenery/status/1245730022859685890?s=21

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/1245730519440072707?s=20

lmao they banned Lutri within minutes of it being revealed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Katana Gomai posted:

lol how good can Oko be if all he does is turn your own dudes into 3/3s

Now imagine Oko made your deck require that all nonland cards were elks to be played.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurieg posted:

NOPE ALREADY BANNED

https://mtgcommander.net/

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Now imagine Oko made your deck require that all nonland cards were elks to be played.

To be honest Elk Tribal sounds pretty cool :v:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uPen posted:

It's in the reminder text :p

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Banning the adorable otter is more proof that the commander council is corrupt and must be destroyed.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like the Kong: Skull Island look to this set and the lore is neat, I deem this a good plane,

how long until the book fucks it up?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

uPen posted:

The Clowner posted:

It's in the reminder text :p

tbf, "If this card is your Chosen Companion" does need some context to fully understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

:lmao: There was a Godzilla card named Spacegodzilla, Death Corona.