Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I honestly completely forgot about this fight. I really disliked the CONSTANT interruptions for them to stare at each other and flashback, despite the really good animation and realization of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Poltergrift posted:

I'm way more invested in these villains than I ever was in the heroes, at this point.

Like... wow.

Except Dabi, whom I hope I will eventually care about.

Yeah, that's my main problem with MHA. I want to care about the heroes, but beyond some of the female cast being cute I really don't! :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Whose idea was it to blow the once a season 30 seconds of good animation on Bakugo jumping and not All Might vs AFO

The same guy who blew it on Godzilla sized gang members fighting only to be interrupted by a tertiary second-third banana character

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Season five is confirmed.

What's funny is that everyone who cares anywhere is excited for My Villain Academia but not a word about the entire likely 1 cour that the Joint Training arc is gonna get first. Anime only people are gonna think it's entirely filler, lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the anime tends to speed up battles and the training arc is all battles, i don't think it'll be nearly as dragged out as spending a month on one out of five fights

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Season five is confirmed.

What's funny is that everyone who cares anywhere is excited for My Villain Academia but not a word about the entire likely 1 cour that the Joint Training arc is gonna get first. Anime only people are gonna think it's entirely filler, lmao

Cool, do we have a release date yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not to mention most of the training arc was half length chapters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cool, so we'll only be in that loving arc for like, what? A month and a half at most?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arist posted:

Cool, so we'll only be in that loving arc for like, what? A month and a half at most?

you don't have to be in that arc for any amount of time if you don't watch it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone who just binged the manga "that arc" was fine and kind of needed as a decompression after the others. I imagine it would have been obnoxious in real time but it's not gonna be in a much shorter time like the anime will go through it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine 4 or 5 epiosdes for the arc. One episode per match.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last match will probably spillover into a second episode since it gets interrupted by OFA's new powerup

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
The training arc was partly frustrating in the moment because of the shorter chapters making it take longer and also all the fights after the first being relatively predictable which made waiting for them more frustrating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It won't be exactly one match per episode anyway because they're not all the same number of chapters.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Bakugou's team's match is gonna be like half an episode long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Badactura posted:

The training arc was partly frustrating in the moment because of the shorter chapters making it take longer and also all the fights after the first being relatively predictable which made waiting for them more frustrating.

And aside from Shinso MAYBE joining the hero course, there were no real stakes, plot or characterwise, and fighting for fighting's sake is just boring no matter what. I'd rather decompress with something fun, like the school festival.

E: MIRKO COVER MIRKO COVER

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1245698448864587783?s=20

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if it's six or seven episodes for the joint training arc that means the remaining episodes are for MVA so that owns

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Sweet new arm Mirko.

Carlosologist posted:

if it's six or seven episodes for the joint training arc that means the remaining episodes are for MVA so that owns

We'll probably end around the Endeavor internship arc, maybe even a little bit of the lead up to this current arc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

We'll probably end around the Endeavor internship arc, maybe even a little bit of the lead up to this current arc.

Quote this post and make fun of me if Season 5 doesn't end with "On that day, there were no heroes."

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There was no stakes in the school festival arc either, at least the joint training had fights that weren’t deku for once

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As someone who loved the Joint Training arc I think that as long as they don't siphon all the talent into another movie, season 5 being that arc plus My Villain Academia would make it the strongest season so far easily.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

There was no stakes in the school festival arc either, at least the joint training had fights that weren’t deku for once

School Festival Arc had cute and fun jokes and hanging out though, so it was fun to read.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Professorjuggalo posted:

Honestly in terms of earned character conflict the school festival arc is probably second to none. The stakes are "low" but they're real and immediately understandable. It's one of the, if not the, best arcs in the series.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the only stakes being set up was mineta/eri following the gentle/la Brava route in a few years after minetas ‘cute’ joke

Edit: I’m looking forward to froppy carrying her team and momo loving up though

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 2, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fights are often the least interesting point of MHA.

Which is why Vigilantes is better than the main series. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Professorjuggalo posted:

the only stakes being set up was mineta/eri following the gentle/la Brava route in a few years after minetas ‘cute’ joke

Edit: I’m looking forward to froppy carrying her team and momo loving up though

why would you look forward to the narrative taking an entirely undeserved dump on a character while simultaneously wasting everyone's time

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I think maybe people are talking past each other, using "school festival" both for the sports festival and the culture festival?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No I absolutely mean the culture festival

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The school festival arc also had Gentle (who really needs to come back someday) as well as a pretty good song in the anime version:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Og0VI46k1bg

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Looking back on the 1-A vs 1-B arc after all this time, it's really only the Momo and Todoroki matches that I disliked, and even then it's mostly the Momo match I hated. With the Todoroki match it was more me thinking all the stuff between Todoroki and Tetsutetsu was really dumb while the rest of the fight going on around them was alright(Iida really shined in that match). I liked the rest of the matches in that arc, so if they can condense the whole Momo fight to one easily forgotten episode, it will be a huge improvement to the arc.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Blockhouse posted:

why would you look forward to the narrative taking an entirely undeserved dump on a character while simultaneously wasting everyone's time

Because momo is a top 5-7 character in popularity (for obvious reasons) and cant even get one showing that makes her look as competent as mineta let alone anything resembling a story arc. Then you remember she’s a recommended student like todoroki and inasa and it gets super funny

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All four the of the recommended students got chumped in that arc. Momo lost her match badly, Todoroki had his dumb thing with Tetsutetsu, Mudman got his head caved in by Iida and the match ended in a draw, and Lizard girl got destroyed by Bakugou.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got to be honest, the training arcs are fine when I'm reading them, but I literally cannot recall a single thing from any of them, except for All Might Vs Deku/Bakugo, because it was funny watching Superman grab kids by their face while yelling "NO ESCAPE FUCKERS!".

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Rhonne posted:

All four the of the recommended students got chumped in that arc. Momo lost her match badly, Todoroki had his dumb thing with Tetsutetsu, Mudman got his head caved in by Iida and the match ended in a draw, and Lizard girl got destroyed by Bakugou.

Mudman literally has a thought bubble about how he didnt wanna be useless like momo and dropped the tower on iida and everyone causing the draw (seriously go re-read this part cause it’s like momo gets double poo poo on)

Todoroki was selfish but didn’t get anywhere close to chumped

And genderbent buggy the clown only lost cause she thought bakugo was gonna ditch his team, didn’t jiro throw the grenade that bakugo gave her and that’s how bakugo even got the drop? Momo coulda threw loving real grenades to help her team lmfao

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Todoroki Tetsu match was solid. Like I guess it's just a rehash of Todoroki's deal of not liking to use his fire powers but at least there was an attempt to use these fights to explore character growth which barely happened outside of Shinso and like 5 pages of Bakugou vaguely being a team player.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Todoroki Tetsu match was solid. Like I guess it's just a rehash of Todoroki's deal of not liking to use his fire powers but at least there was an attempt to use these fights to explore character growth which barely happened outside of Shinso and like 5 pages of Bakugou vaguely being a team player.

I dunno, I thought Todoroki going "hmm, my fire isn't working, what if I just get hotter and try melting him!" was dumb. Iida ripping out his mufflers so he can use his Recipro Burst longer was way cooler.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's solid too, the 3rd match is pretty ok it's just kind of boring. Probably one of the better fights of the arc though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The parts of 1-A vs. 1-B that stick in my mind is Mushroom Girl choking out Tokoyami and Kendo's response to handing Momo's team their asses being "but I don't FEEL like I won".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Professorjuggalo posted:

And genderbent buggy the clown only lost cause she thought bakugo was gonna ditch his team, didn’t jiro throw the grenade that bakugo gave her and that’s how bakugo even got the drop? Momo coulda threw loving real grenades to help her team lmfao

This is a laughably reductive comparison. Gender is like the least significant difference between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Right, in order:

The Froppy fight had some good back and forth, established some minor stakes with Shinso's part (also making him look more like a threat for when Deku would have to deal with him), and built to a fun final.
Momo's fight sucked.
Todoroki's fight had some moments, but mostly it was just there.
Bakugo's fight was just a blitz of Bakugo being the best.
And Deku's fight had actual plot and Uraraka kicking absurd amounts of rear end, so it was good.

Basically, we've got 60 percent good, 20 percent eh, and 20 percent bad. It's just discussion focuses on the bad.

If the anime speeds things up, it should be better. But... we did also say that about the Overhaul arc.