Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
At least some people will get to experience 2077

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

poisonpill posted:

I’m never going to play Andromeda but did they ever explain why they brought the krogan? We’re going to explore a new land where we’ll be cut off and alone with no support; better bring the genocidal maniacs!!

I'm actually replaying because I'm stuck inside and it's vague but essentially the initiative was looking for support everywhere it could find it and Clan Nakmor decided to go along becuase 600 hundred years in cyro might give their biology enough time to adapt to the genophage a little. I think their stillborn rate went from like 0.001 to 0.004.

I think it's nice enough game.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

poisonpill posted:

I’m never going to play Andromeda but did they ever explain why they brought the krogan? We’re going to explore a new land where we’ll be cut off and alone with no support; better bring the genocidal maniacs!!

i don't know why they even bothered with the no we're not actually escaping a doomed milky way galaxy, we're just explorers on an adventure except not really angle

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Caidin posted:

I'm actually replaying because I'm stuck inside and it's vague but essentially the initiative was looking for support everywhere it could find it and Clan Nakmor decided to go along becuase 600 hundred years in cyro might give their biology enough time to adapt to the genophage a little. I think their stillborn rate went from like 0.001 to 0.004.

I think it's nice enough game.

how would their biology adapt if they were in stasis lol?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Moola posted:

how would their biology adapt if they were in stasis lol?

Uh lets see....

"Cryogenic stasis gradually lower the body temperature enough to slow vital functions but not enough for damaging ice crystals to form, before the pod generates a mass effect field stasis field that suspends both the individual and interior environment of the pod."

So space magic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
mass effect fields how the gently caress do they work!?!?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cryogenic stasis is science, so they used science

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

mass effect fields how the gently caress do they work!?!?

Like magnets

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

i don't know why they even bothered with the no we're not actually escaping a doomed milky way galaxy, we're just explorers on an adventure except not really angle
"Why did they bother" applies to all elements of the premise, yeah.

Maybe exploding the setting in ME3 was not the best idea.
:thunk:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Update: got as far as clearing the vault on Eos, remembered what a slog the core gameplay is, uninstalled, downloaded Death Stranding, and am so far enjoying chill backpack balancing simulator.

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a way to have a direct sequel to Mass Effect, but it keeps coming down to 'three mutually-exclusive endings.' I always get about this far, but eventually, you have to decide if all the synths got blowed up, got mind controlled, or if everybody is some sort of weird cyborg now, and it all just falls apart.

Commander Playername, daring N7 operative, is leading a mixed-species team on a mission into a remote cluster of stars. The Reaper War rages on, but reports of strange ruins of an ancient civilization proved tempting enough to organize a scratch team of scientists, soldiers and operatives in the vague hope of finding something, anything, that might help. (ME3 doesn't give you a good sense of how long the Reaper War is going on; it could days, could be months. Maybe they're dispatched more around the time the reapers are just arriving into the system. Who knows.)

Aboard their Normandy-class ship Excalibur, they pop through the Mass Effect relay, and head for Planet Whatever. There's a strange, artificial energy field which has kept earlier expeditions from successfully landing, but thanks to an experimental eezo field, powered by plugging a biotic into the shield generator or some poo poo, the Excalibur is able to ride it out and land. On the surface, they do indeed find an ancient ruin, which they explore. Fun times and happy moments ensue as they delve in, and sure enough, they find a data core from an ancient civilization that actually managed to figure out how to build their own mass effect relays. Holy poo poo! If they can build their own, they can bypass the Reaper's systems, opening up all sorts of tactial and strategic options, let alone the new fields of research and technology this poo poo will open up! Hot drat!

Coming out of the ruin, they find a strange shield has been erected over the site, sealing them and the Excalibur in. As they're wondering what to do about it, and why the shield has popped up, they see a bright flash in the sky. An energy wave sweeps over the planet, then the shield turns itself off. They get back to the ship, and realize that the ME relay has exploded, stranding them in the local cluster. Fortunately, there's a settlement a system or two over; they can head over there, resupply, maybe see if there's enough of a manufacturing base to try building some sort of scratch relay that can at least slingshot them a known distance, close enough to another system to find a working relay, or whatever.

They arrive, and find the settlement on the verge of anarchy. Everybody is in a state of panic over the relay exploding, being cut off from the rest of civilization, etc etc. QEC devices still work, and they're finding out that relays everywhere have exploded.

Fortunately, Commander Playername, being specops, has hearts-and-minds training, and steps up. Cmdr PN keeps everybody together, organizes the settlement, and transmits the plans for building new relays to everybody he can, with instructions to relay them as much as possible, and slowly start rebuilding the network. Meanwhile, he organizes expeditions to other planets to gather materials and resources, fight off pirates and marauders, and so on. Meanwhile, the VIs are starting to act a bit funny....

I dunno. The ending of ME3 really does make things hard. It also pretty much establishes that planets don't regain contact for centuries, long enough for Shepard to become mythic.

So, here's a comedy option: Shepard didn't actually talk to the Star Child. Shepard activated the Citadel, which blew up the relays, then hallucinated the whole Star Child thing while dying. With the relays destroyed, the Reapers were all trapped at Earth. Or they were destroyed. Whatever. Point being, Earth is gone, Citadel is gone, Council is gone, worlds are in disarray, and you can kick in with the above plot, possibly culimating with Cmdr PN making their way back to Earth and discovering all of this, including an audio log of Shepard's last minutes. Frantic radio calls from the fleet, 'what do you need me to do,' wounded rambling through activating the thing, more calls about it working and reapers blowing up, which Shepard ignores, and rambling about the Star Child, and needing to choose, then, just, dying.

This builds out into a trilogy of reestablishing relays, recontacting the major and minor races, and forging a new Council.
ME4: Isolation
ME5: Reclamation
ME6: Restoration

I dunno. Thank you for attending my Dying Shepard rambling Ted Talk.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

poisonpill posted:

This is a good opportunity for everyone to think about playing the Mass Effect trilogy again and then deciding not to five minutes into the first game

TheCenturion posted:

Update: got as far as clearing the vault on Eos, remembered what a slog the core gameplay is, uninstalled, downloaded Death Stranding, and am so far enjoying chill backpack balancing simulator.

:colbert:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheCenturion posted:

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a way to have a direct sequel to Mass Effect, but it keeps coming down to 'three mutually-exclusive endings.' I always get about this far, but eventually, you have to decide if all the synths got blowed up, got mind controlled, or if everybody is some sort of weird cyborg now, and it all just falls apart.

Commander Playername, daring N7 operative, is leading a mixed-species team on a mission into a remote cluster of stars. The Reaper War rages on, but reports of strange ruins of an ancient civilization proved tempting enough to organize a scratch team of scientists, soldiers and operatives in the vague hope of finding something, anything, that might help. (ME3 doesn't give you a good sense of how long the Reaper War is going on; it could days, could be months. Maybe they're dispatched more around the time the reapers are just arriving into the system. Who knows.)

Aboard their Normandy-class ship Excalibur, they pop through the Mass Effect relay, and head for Planet Whatever. There's a strange, artificial energy field which has kept earlier expeditions from successfully landing, but thanks to an experimental eezo field, powered by plugging a biotic into the shield generator or some poo poo, the Excalibur is able to ride it out and land. On the surface, they do indeed find an ancient ruin, which they explore. Fun times and happy moments ensue as they delve in, and sure enough, they find a data core from an ancient civilization that actually managed to figure out how to build their own mass effect relays. Holy poo poo! If they can build their own, they can bypass the Reaper's systems, opening up all sorts of tactial and strategic options, let alone the new fields of research and technology this poo poo will open up! Hot drat!

Coming out of the ruin, they find a strange shield has been erected over the site, sealing them and the Excalibur in. As they're wondering what to do about it, and why the shield has popped up, they see a bright flash in the sky. An energy wave sweeps over the planet, then the shield turns itself off. They get back to the ship, and realize that the ME relay has exploded, stranding them in the local cluster. Fortunately, there's a settlement a system or two over; they can head over there, resupply, maybe see if there's enough of a manufacturing base to try building some sort of scratch relay that can at least slingshot them a known distance, close enough to another system to find a working relay, or whatever.

They arrive, and find the settlement on the verge of anarchy. Everybody is in a state of panic over the relay exploding, being cut off from the rest of civilization, etc etc. QEC devices still work, and they're finding out that relays everywhere have exploded.

Fortunately, Commander Playername, being specops, has hearts-and-minds training, and steps up. Cmdr PN keeps everybody together, organizes the settlement, and transmits the plans for building new relays to everybody he can, with instructions to relay them as much as possible, and slowly start rebuilding the network. Meanwhile, he organizes expeditions to other planets to gather materials and resources, fight off pirates and marauders, and so on. Meanwhile, the VIs are starting to act a bit funny....

I dunno. The ending of ME3 really does make things hard. It also pretty much establishes that planets don't regain contact for centuries, long enough for Shepard to become mythic.

So, here's a comedy option: Shepard didn't actually talk to the Star Child. Shepard activated the Citadel, which blew up the relays, then hallucinated the whole Star Child thing while dying. With the relays destroyed, the Reapers were all trapped at Earth. Or they were destroyed. Whatever. Point being, Earth is gone, Citadel is gone, Council is gone, worlds are in disarray, and you can kick in with the above plot, possibly culimating with Cmdr PN making their way back to Earth and discovering all of this, including an audio log of Shepard's last minutes. Frantic radio calls from the fleet, 'what do you need me to do,' wounded rambling through activating the thing, more calls about it working and reapers blowing up, which Shepard ignores, and rambling about the Star Child, and needing to choose, then, just, dying.

This builds out into a trilogy of reestablishing relays, recontacting the major and minor races, and forging a new Council.
ME4: Isolation
ME5: Reclamation
ME6: Restoration

I dunno. Thank you for attending my Dying Shepard rambling Ted Talk.
Indoctrination Theory (aka "No, actually, that didn't happen") is about the only way to salvage the series.

They had a huge, detailed, immersive universe, and they literally blew it up and fundamentally changed it. The only way it recovers is if that didn't happen. Either so long in the (in-universe and real-world) future that everyone has forgotten it or rendered it irrelevant, or that it didn't actually happen.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hey, my Andromeda play through is currently to Kadera at like 20 to 25 hours.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
rear end Effect Pee (that game was diarrhea)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they named a character Pee Bee and made her look like this

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of "WTF were they thinking" in MEA like Peebee but let's not pretend that was new for Bioware, the gigglesquee studio.

DarkHorse posted:

Indoctrination Theory (aka "No, actually, that didn't happen") is about the only way to salvage the series.

They had a huge, detailed, immersive universe, and they literally blew it up and fundamentally changed it. The only way it recovers is if that didn't happen. Either so long in the (in-universe and real-world) future that everyone has forgotten it or rendered it irrelevant, or that it didn't actually happen.
But indoctrination theory isn't "it didn't happen" it's "the ending didn't happen as it played out in Shepard's mind". It assumes you were exposed to enough "reaper radiation" that you finally went mad through ME3 and by the time you're trying to save McGuffin Station and negotiate with star kid your mind was actually fighting a last stand against indoctrination. If you agree to any of the star kid proposals your mind was gone and you were probably gooified with everyone else, or kept alive to help in the reaping as a mind-controlled pawn (from ME1 we know it takes ages to track down all survivors and resistance cells at the end of a reaper cycle). The "gently caress you" option would be your mind winning over indoctrination, but your body dying after the final fight.

By making the reapers "right" like that, the franchise would have the same problem it has now: The galaxy (as we know it) is destroyed to varying degrees while reapers either won outright, or your "victory" was massively Pyrrhic. The setting is now tainted for anything that happens before or parallel to the reaper war (one problem is humans haven't been around for very long and a pure eg. turian prequel/side story might not win a large enough following) and you can't write sequels unless you want to drastically alter Mass Effect to post-apocalyptic grimdark. If the objective is to keep the franchise relatable, and also stick to the originally optimistic sci-fi theme, you'll have to do an actual reboot that throws out a lot of the reaper plot (a real version of "no it actually didn't happen"), set it so far in the future you may as well play a different franchise (eg. by doing a "next cycle" sequel), or just move everything to a different place.

The latter is obviously the easiest idea because you can just reuse all the elements of the setting you want to keep, invent new ones as you see fit and you get to ignore all the controversial stuff of the original franchise, without having to make hard choices. The risk is creating MEA: A game that reuses too many parts of the old games in a boring way so it doesn't do the old nor the new parts justice and just feels stale and by the numbers. Then they also tied it back to the worst part of the original trilogy so as a reboot Andromeda is utterly worthless.

But yeah you could make a soft reboot with a Citadel-era civilization that doesn't involve the reapers (either ignore them completely or scale them down to a manageable threat that doesn't need full-time supervision by Human McSpacehero, and doesn't lead to an unwinnable war). There was enough in the original setting to create mystery, conflict and interesting stories that didn't need godlike space squids liquefying everyone. They had the perfect setup to do whatever stories they wanted. You could have "mainline" games of a hero thwarting world-ending threats (in moderation, some people called for an even bigger evil than reapers in order to explain the reapers' actions and even for a Bioware game that would be insanely stupid). There was a lot of room for side stories of local heroes or the main hero getting sidetracked or doing tangentially related investigations. They could have tried different genres like straight adventures or pure action games, even hovercar racing games, who knows. The setting allowed for games on a wide variety of worlds, with heroes of all Citadel races, all tied together by a common core of civilized space with the Citadel as a central hub. But, no. Let's just burn it all down after three Shepard games and a bunch of awful books/comics. There's no psyduck large enough for how dumb Bioware execs are.

E: That's all based on the premise that you want to keep Mass Effect around as a franchise instead of a one-off trilogy. If you only want to do the latter than yeah go ahead burn it down for "artistic" value. Might not be the best idea if you want to tell other stories and sell other games in the setting, though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 2, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I can't believe human creative endeavour peaked with the Mass Effect series

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

Just make Indoctrination Theory the canon ending, you cowards! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Lt. Danger posted:

I can't believe human creative endeavour peaked with the Mass Effect series

It's our Satyricon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moola posted:

they named a character Pee Bee and made her look like this

She looks like Shrek and it's not just the DreamWorks face.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
burning down your setting is insanely good and cool and i am still perplexed that this was a bad creative decision because they couldn't make a Mass Effect kart racer or something

to put it another way massively loving up your status quo is actually a really good way to keep your setting fresh if you want to continue it, but ME:A's biggest sin, among its many other sins, was just using it as a reset button to go back to ME1 rather than the much more creatively interesting decision to keep going in a freshly burnt-down galaxy.

in a following thread i will discuss how the reapers actually represent the creative impulse to purge the galaxy (representing fictional universes) from creative ennui by purging it of its most tired, worn-out elements every now and again, and how civilizations represent the creative bankruptcy of franchise "cinematic universe" storytelling by going ahead and telling the same stories over and over again in a never ending cycle. the prothean artifacts/beacons are actually a Marvel box set. to hear more please visit my patreon

the dark matter thing mentioned in me2 is actually capitalism

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 2, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

burning down your setting is insanely good and cool and i am still perplexed that this was a bad creative decision because they couldn't make a Mass Effect kart racer or something

to put it another way massively loving up your status quo is actually a really good way to keep your setting fresh if you want to continue it, but ME:A's biggest sin, among its many other sins, was just using it as a reset button to go back to ME1 rather than the much more creatively interesting decision to keep going in a freshly burnt-down galaxy.

in a following thread i will discuss how the reapers actually represent the creative impulse to purge the galaxy (representing fictional universes) from creative ennui by purging it of its most tired, worn-out elements every now and again, and how civilizations represent the creative bankruptcy of franchise "cinematic universe" storytelling by going ahead and telling the same stories over and over again in a never ending cycle. the prothean artifacts/beacons are actually a Marvel box set. to hear more please visit my patreon

the dark matter thing mentioned in me2 is actually capitalism
                               |  /
                               |/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I do respect that Bioware attempted to put a decisive end to the trilogy, that part never bothered me. The problem was more that it was a complete thematic failure and didn't stop more sequels from getting made, either.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Look, I'm not overly-invested in a commercial videogame franchise as a substitute for genuine meaning in my life, okay? I'm just concerned for Bioware's investors.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

exploring the long term ramifications of any 1 of ME3's endings could make for an interesting game but i think very few people would be super happy with it, even if the game was made competently

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

exploring the long term ramifications of any 1 of ME3's endings could make for an interesting game but i think very few people would be super happy with it, even if the game was made competently

Green red or blue jello cup please only take one

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

orcane posted:

There's a lot of "WTF were they thinking" in MEA like Peebee but let's not pretend that was new for Bioware, the gigglesquee studio.

But indoctrination theory isn't "it didn't happen" it's "the ending didn't happen as it played out in Shepard's mind". It assumes you were exposed to enough "reaper radiation" that you finally went mad through ME3 and by the time you're trying to save McGuffin Station and negotiate with star kid your mind was actually fighting a last stand against indoctrination. If you agree to any of the star kid proposals your mind was gone and you were probably gooified with everyone else, or kept alive to help in the reaping as a mind-controlled pawn (from ME1 we know it takes ages to track down all survivors and resistance cells at the end of a reaper cycle). The "gently caress you" option would be your mind winning over indoctrination, but your body dying after the final fight.

By making the reapers "right" like that, the franchise would have the same problem it has now: The galaxy (as we know it) is destroyed to varying degrees while reapers either won outright, or your "victory" was massively Pyrrhic. The setting is now tainted for anything that happens before or parallel to the reaper war (one problem is humans haven't been around for very long and a pure eg. turian prequel/side story might not win a large enough following) and you can't write sequels unless you want to drastically alter Mass Effect to post-apocalyptic grimdark. If the objective is to keep the franchise relatable, and also stick to the originally optimistic sci-fi theme, you'll have to do an actual reboot that throws out a lot of the reaper plot (a real version of "no it actually didn't happen"), set it so far in the future you may as well play a different franchise (eg. by doing a "next cycle" sequel), or just move everything to a different place.

The latter is obviously the easiest idea because you can just reuse all the elements of the setting you want to keep, invent new ones as you see fit and you get to ignore all the controversial stuff of the original franchise, without having to make hard choices. The risk is creating MEA: A game that reuses too many parts of the old games in a boring way so it doesn't do the old nor the new parts justice and just feels stale and by the numbers. Then they also tied it back to the worst part of the original trilogy so as a reboot Andromeda is utterly worthless.

But yeah you could make a soft reboot with a Citadel-era civilization that doesn't involve the reapers (either ignore them completely or scale them down to a manageable threat that doesn't need full-time supervision by Human McSpacehero, and doesn't lead to an unwinnable war). There was enough in the original setting to create mystery, conflict and interesting stories that didn't need godlike space squids liquefying everyone. They had the perfect setup to do whatever stories they wanted. You could have "mainline" games of a hero thwarting world-ending threats (in moderation, some people called for an even bigger evil than reapers in order to explain the reapers' actions and even for a Bioware game that would be insanely stupid). There was a lot of room for side stories of local heroes or the main hero getting sidetracked or doing tangentially related investigations. They could have tried different genres like straight adventures or pure action games, even hovercar racing games, who knows. The setting allowed for games on a wide variety of worlds, with heroes of all Citadel races, all tied together by a common core of civilized space with the Citadel as a central hub. But, no. Let's just burn it all down after three Shepard games and a bunch of awful books/comics. There's no psyduck large enough for how dumb Bioware execs are.

E: That's all based on the premise that you want to keep Mass Effect around as a franchise instead of a one-off trilogy. If you only want to do the latter than yeah go ahead burn it down for "artistic" value. Might not be the best idea if you want to tell other stories and sell other games in the setting, though.

Welcome to Wendy’s, my favorite restaurant on the Citadel!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TheCenturion posted:

The easiest thing, creatively, is to choose an ending and retcon the parts that make it fuckin' stupid.

For destroy it'd be that EDI/the Geth die. It's contrived that they would be considered equivalent to Reaper programs and therefore killed by the pulse. The Geth were based off of an entirely different paradigm and EDI isn't a Reaper, or a Reaper program. This allows the universe to continue, albeit slowly, and maybe it'll turn out that the Reaper AI was right!

For control it'd be that total control is even possible. It would be better if it imprinted Shepard's values onto the Reapers and freed them from universal control, so now they are actually independent actors instead of a fancy shovel. Before they didn't have a real motivation to murder the galaxy, apparently, and were just doing as they were commanded. This would be a kinda neat setting because now the Reaper forces can fracture and fight each other. Now that I think of it it would have been cool if this is what the Crucible did outright because it would have set up the war as something that could be won without entirely relying on a magic win button.

For synthesis it'd be to ignore it, the entire notion of it is ridiculous and impossible to work around.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never actually knew what synthesis entailed.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

The Crotch posted:

It was a message that Mac Walters wants to gently caress a robo-human.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Joker's hat comes alive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
E:^^^^^Hahahhaha, that hat really made an impression on people.

The Crotch posted:

Joker’s hat got to be a real boy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mass Effect: Odyssey

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Crotch posted:

The Reapers allow everyone to live because they are now racially pure

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

The Reapers allow everyone to live because they are now racially pure

:thunk:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

The Geth were based off of an entirely different paradigm and EDI isn't a Reaper, or a Reaper program. This allows the universe to continue, albeit slowly, and maybe it'll turn out that the Reaper AI was right!

the geth used Reaper code to upgrade themselves when the quarians attacked so they couldn't be jammed

EDI is based on the rogue Luna VI combined with scavenged Sovereign tech

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Who cares; make them live because otherwise half the quests in the game are pointless

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

the geth used Reaper code to upgrade themselves when the quarians attacked so they couldn't be jammed

EDI is based on the rogue Luna VI combined with scavenged Sovereign tech

So why wouldn't they just have those parts damaged, if at all? The Normandy has reaper tech in it too and it didn't explode.

If the pulse seeks out all reaper tech and kills it then no mass effect fields should work ever again. Control should have given Shepard control of EDI and the Geth, but it doesn't.

Edit: To be clear I'm not looking for actual answers because it's pretty clear the writers didn't think this ending through. I'm just saying that it's easy enough to retcon it if they wanted to.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 8, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know this is space opera, but that's implausible even with the loosest definition of "code." That's like...what would you do if 10% of your DNA fell off.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I know this is space opera, but that's implausible even with the loosest definition of "code." That's like...what would you do if 10% of your DNA fell off.

And traveling faster than the speed of light is implausible beyond belief, but it's something I'm willing to accept for the setting. Contriving a reason why only proper Reapers are affected by the pulse is easy: the pulse only effects Reaper programs, not snippets of Reaper code.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Halloween Jack posted:

Depending on what it is, the answer could very easily be "nothing bad happens."

The geth just need to reinstall their Bluetooth drivers, or maybe they can't encode certain file formats anymore. Is it a big loss if they can't do drive-by image macros anymore?

Maybe the pulse can't figure out zipped archive backups.