Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
It's unfortunate that the BBC rarely put the name of the author on their articles and tweets so I can't add the names to my list of journalists that I hope die 'with' coronavirus.

These folks are less shy about putting their name to their opinions they were all already on the list
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1245642979441692672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Goldskull posted:

Applying for UC, and what a loving shitshow that is.
All my verification is going through online on some app, 3 days to process - OK, I get that it's busy.
My girlfriend who also has to apply, despite not needing to as she's still employed: Can't verify you through your passport/debit card, ring this number and book an appointment to go to a job centre. That isn't open and the lines are perma-jammed. Anyone any advice on alternate methods?

Also learned today the main reason there's very little remote freelance work for my trade is everyone's scared to death of NDAs, like we're all going to use this as an excuse to do some real industrial espionage. There's also an office still operating, because let's not let a pandemic get in the way of money.
My trade is in no way key, they should all be remote working like every other place is.

If you live with a partner who works they also need some account to verify your details or something. I think this is just designed to embarass people into not asking their partner for assistance as they have to sit on the phone for hours.

There are no alternate methods. I found the best way was to leave my phone plugged in and have the call on speaker as you do something monotonous like organise receipts or do a jigsaw. Be glad they switched from Vivaldi to generic 'music' recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxH4-aoTlTw

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Well, guess it's their official policy now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol "I'm going to level with you; here are my excuses for loving up the testing."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That's just rear end covering, it's fair to say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's got echoes of the AIDS epidemic in South Africa when there was a huge stigma around it you'd get lots of people dying of pneumonia but almost a deliberate refusal to talk about the underlying virus that led to that.

Except it's the state broadcaster doing it.

I would be very surprised if the BBC weren't doing exactly that at the time as well.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

That's just rear end covering, it's fair to say.

But I can clearly see the rear end on my screen right now?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"died with" has such a strange feel to it, like the person had a long negotiation with their own coronavirus and released a joint statement detailing a mutual agreement that stopping existing was the best for all parties

now i know statistically this probably won't take me but for the record if I die it'll be dying against it. put that on my grave thank you.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Died with coronavirus (in their system)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Very boring honestly

Well that's what happens, your established kinks become boring and you find yourself having to seek out more extreme stuff

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't "died with" or "died after" fairly normal news phrasing for people who clearly die of things because that way they don't have to commit to anything as strong as a causative relationship between terminal cancer and people dying?

Just usual news being loving cowards.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

endlessmonotony posted:

The point the thread called it was when there were multiple reports of asymptomatic transmission.

Aka "oh good, this thing will get through airports in no time at all huh".

that was day 1 iirc, day 2 at latest

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I look forward to the BBC being abolished with a leftist government

Poor BBC, we'll never know what took them

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's so if there's any trouble as a result of implying a causal relationship they can say "we never did that". It's basic rear end covering.

Can you imagine how much more sued they'd have gotten if they implied causality when they were broadcasting the raid on Cliff Richards' house?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't "died with" or "died after" fairly normal news phrasing for people who clearly die of things because that way they don't have to commit to anything as strong as a causative relationship between terminal cancer and people dying?

Yeah but it becomes political when it furthers political goals.

"Officers were involved in a shooting that left one man dead, the suspect was unarmed."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"We're poo poo at testing people, but only because our diagnostic abilities have always been poo poo"

Well gee, I wonder who's fault that is?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Friend made this: https://whichisthebestthing.com/

It's extremely addictive. I'll see about getting the varieties of Monster Munch added to the database.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get why they do it, but it only further breeds the utter contempt I have for the snivelling little parasites that work in journalism because all they can ever do is cringe and simper about how it is that things keep happening and we can't begin to say why.

Just the absolute worst, most detestable form of human communication ever invented.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but it becomes political when it furthers political goals.

"Officers were involved in a shooting that left one man dead, the suspect was unarmed."

Oh yes of course, again as above I don't at all dispute that it has an effect on the world, just that it's more of an institutional thing than a thing that's being wheeled out specifically for this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the virus doesn't kill you it just causes respiratory and renal failure and those are what kill you thats entirely different

lmao

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1245749509268914176

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Wachter posted:

LOL nice one, Beeb. Add another gammon bullshit talking point to my previously published checklist: "ahhh, but you don't know that all those people definitely died of covids :smuggo:"

It amazes me how many people shouting "Preexisting Conditions!" are ignoring the fact that one of the reasons we have so many people with these conditions is that modern medicine lets us manage these conditions for years, sometimes indefinitely. Most of the people making these arguments are probably on blood pressure or diabetes medication.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1245755776850898951?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jesus

https://twitter.com/AllianceLGB/status/1245652798286385153?s=20
https://twitter.com/SoniaPoulton/status/1245684453776732160

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't look like it:

Also, most of the 'died with' results are things like "died with a colleague" or "died with three men in a blast". 'Died of' is the things you'd usually expect.

Being charitable, one might guess that 'died with' is the safe phrasing in the absence of an official coroner's report or something.

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 2, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1245757621392596994?s=20

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My wife's employer seem to think they are going to furlough some people for three weeks, the bring them back, and furlough a different group of people for 3 weeks, bring them back etc

That isn't how it works surely?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

It's extremely addictive. I'll see about getting the varieties of Monster Munch added to the database.

Depends on your mood, really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1245757795112288257?s=20

minema
May 31, 2011

TACD posted:

"died with three men in a blast"

That's how I want to go out :heysexy:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Comrade Fakename posted:

Weed has never stared back at me, so the abyss has that going for it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What a disgusting poo poo bag. Glad I left Labour last weekend:

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1245615554397736960?s=20

(And no, I haven't read his wretched article).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

josh04 posted:

Very first match up for me was coronavirus vs. a staff room. The latter is best but i reckon the former would win in a fight

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

minema posted:

That's how I want to go out :heysexy:

"the bodies were found among several hundred empty cans of baked beans"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Massive first world problem here: why are the broadband speeds in my street ~10mbps when every street around us is on super / ultrafast? I've used the Ofcom broadband checker and my street and my street only is a band of red in a sea of green.

I think I know the real reason which is that the street is a mix of current and former council houses so everything's decades old and knackered, but given the main thing determining speed is distance from the exchange it seems weird on a technical level that one specific street could be singled out for crap internet.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

josh04 posted:

Seems pointless to me, spent five minutes and it's all 'this is their first matchup'

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My wife's employer seem to think they are going to furlough some people for three weeks, the bring them back, and furlough a different group of people for 3 weeks, bring them back etc

That isn't how it works surely?

My furlough agreement specifically states that each furlough period is for three weeks at a time then reviewed, and that different parts of the workplace may need different people to come back at different times. Perhaps your wife may be reading into it like that?

code:
The Company may give me 5 days’ notice that a period of furlough is to come to an end or to commence provided that
each period of furlough in question will be at least three weeks long. At the end of any period of furlough I may be required
to return to work or take a period of annual leave.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 2, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seems pointless to me, spent five minutes and it's all 'this is their first matchup'

That's cos the database I'd already yuge

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My furlough agreement specifically states that each furlough period is for three weeks at a time then reviewed, and that different parts of the workplace may need different people to come back at different times. Perhaps your wife may be reading into it like that?

Quite possibly, she is yet to be furloughed but it sounds like she may be soon under this model (the problem working for a mid sized family run company is there is no transparency on stuff like this).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Got this as my first one:

Went with sewage, sanitation is important and generally doesn't use slavery.

Stuck on this one:

Toothpaste obviously vital for modernity, but, like, bucket, man.

e: lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Comrade Fakename posted:

Enough of one brings me to the other

hell that's the whole point

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What a disgusting poo poo bag. Glad I left Labour last weekend:

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1245615554397736960?s=20

(And no, I haven't read his wretched article).

man, today was my two-to-three-day 'stick your head above the parapet' day, and I really wish I hadn't bothered. All it's done is frighten me, frustrate me, and make me literally sweat with fury

and nothing else

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

holy poo poo mancock is scum

someone asked him "is there a criticism of the gov you agree with?" and he went fully wounded schoolboy mode and basically said "Labour didnt cut the NHS enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i loving hate how the centrists who refused to ever get on board iwth corbyn constantly complain about factionalism