Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question: When putting together models like Rhinos, or the Sororitas Exorcist, is it better to use plastic glue like Tamiya, or super-glue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

Question: When putting together models like Rhinos, or the Sororitas Exorcist, is it better to use plastic glue like Tamiya, or super-glue?

Plastic glue.

It welds the material together, rather than superglue that simply sticks them with a thin layer of glue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Be careful of plastic glue it will melt detail if you gently caress up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yeast posted:

Plastic glue.

It welds the material together, rather than superglue that simply sticks them with a thin layer of glue.

Okay. I thought maybe super-glue would be more efficient because there was a lot more that had to be glued, and plastic glue maybe wouldn't support it as well.

I do need to get super glue, though, since I'm out of that, and I'll need that to put together the Canoness Verdiyan model (which is Finecast/resin)

I also need to get a new bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, since the one I have is almost empty. However, with all the virus stuff going on, I think most sites like Amazon and whatnot are either only dealing with essential items, or are handling orders at this time.

JBP posted:

Be careful of plastic glue it will melt detail if you gently caress up.

This is easier said than done; sometimes the glue works fine, and I can get a (mostly) seamless connection. Other times, I can't get two pieces to stay together, and I have to reapply the glue 4-to-5 times before I can get a decent connection. I had this issue with one of the Sisters of Battle I was working with, where I could not get the hoses/cables connected from the backpack to the bottom of the heavy flamer.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 1, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Okay. I thought maybe super-glue would be more efficient because there was a lot more that had to be glued, and plastic glue maybe wouldn't support it as well.

I do need to get super glue, though, since I'm out of that, and I'll need that to put together the Canoness Verdiyan model (which is Finecast/resin)

I also need to get a new bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, since the one I have is almost empty. However, with all the virus stuff going on, I think most sites like Amazon and whatnot are either only dealing with essential items, or are handling orders at this time.

If Amazon has it in stock they will still ship it to you. It may take a little longer to ship, but it will ship. Many hobby shops are likely still shipping orders if they can handle it with only one person just to keep a little income flowing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Booley posted:

If Amazon has it in stock they will still ship it to you. It may take a little longer to ship, but it will ship. Many hobby shops are likely still shipping orders if they can handle it with only one person just to keep a little income flowing.

I thought Amazon was only doing essential items?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Max Wilco posted:

Amazon is still doing everything, they still like money. Some items just have longer shipping now, and it's completely random. Lots of pointless entertainment items can still be had with quick shipping.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

No. They're only bringing new essential items into the warehouses and not restocking other items, but anything in stock will still ship. You can also click the button to show alternate sellers who may be doing self fulfillment and will ship faster for a slightly higher cost.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amazon is still doing everything, they still like money. Some items just have longer shipping now, and it's completely random. Lots of pointless entertainment items can still be had with quick shipping.

Booley posted:

No. They're only bringing new essential items into the warehouses and not restocking other items, but anything in stock will still ship. You can also click the button to show alternate sellers who may be doing self fulfillment and will ship faster for a slightly higher cost.

Yeah, it looks like you can either get with free shipping via a 2-3 month waiting period, or with most of the price being made up via the shipping cost (where it ends up being about $10)

I dunno; even knowing that they're still shipping out non-essential items, I'm reluctant to order anything like that right now, since Amazon workers are having a rough time as it is, and I feel bad about adding to that workload, even if it is something as minor as a bottle of glue.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, it looks like you can either get with free shipping via a 2-3 month waiting period, or with most of the price being made up via the shipping cost (where it ends up being about $10)

I dunno; even knowing that they're still shipping out non-essential items, I'm reluctant to order anything like that right now, since Amazon workers are having a rough time as it is, and I feel bad about adding to that workload, even if it is something as minor as a bottle of glue.

See if any FLGS’ around you are still operating and ship via post. I’m sure they’d welcome any business right now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yeast posted:

See if any FLGS’ around you are still operating and ship via post. I’m sure they’d welcome any business right now.

I could do that, though the couple I can think of I don't think are set up for that. I have to check, though.

Outside of local places, it also sounds like Miniature Market is still taking orders. It looks like they don't have have Tamiya, but they do have some other brands.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Max Wilco posted:

I could do that, though the couple I can think of I don't think are set up for that. I have to check, though.

Outside of local places, it also sounds like Miniature Market is still taking orders. It looks like they don't have have Tamiya, but they do have some other brands.

https://www.michtoy.com/item-TAM-87038-Tamiya_Extra_Thin_Cement_.html

Michigan Toy Soldier is still doing online orders and they stock Tamiya.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Amazon is also flat-out lying about shipping delays lol, I'm guessing they're just saying that as a CYA thing. I had to order some non-essential stuff that said it would be delayed until almost the end of April and it still showed up in 2 days. That's happened like 3 times now so I don't think it's a coincidence.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Amazon is also flat-out lying about shipping delays lol, I'm guessing they're just saying that as a CYA thing. I had to order some non-essential stuff that said it would be delayed until almost the end of April and it still showed up in 2 days. That's happened like 3 times now so I don't think it's a coincidence.

I've had a few orders that have taken longer than they typically would've. It's definitely a CYA to give them something to point at to stop people complaining, things probably won't take as long as they say but also it may take a few days longer than normal. They're treating the FC workers like poo poo though, so stuff that's in stock will probably ship at close to normal speeds.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Here's a project I've been working on for the past month...

FANTASY TOAD!!!!

I'm not the world's best photographer, but you get the picture. This is the first mini I tried using glazing rather than traditional shading and layering. I really like how it turned out, but in the garish light it doesn't look as subtle as it does in person.

And the base as of right now. I'm still figuring out what I want to do here. Something with jungle foliage, but it's hard to replicate leaves and vegetation because I haven't really tried that yet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

jassi007 posted:

https://www.michtoy.com/item-TAM-87038-Tamiya_Extra_Thin_Cement_.html

Michigan Toy Soldier is still doing online orders and they stock Tamiya.

That looks good. I think I might order from them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ez8 posted:

Here's a project I've been working on for the past month...

FANTASY TOAD!!!!

I'm not the world's best photographer, but you get the picture. This is the first mini I tried using glazing rather than traditional shading and layering. I really like how it turned out, but in the garish light it doesn't look as subtle as it does in person.

And the base as of right now. I'm still figuring out what I want to do here. Something with jungle foliage, but it's hard to replicate leaves and vegetation because I haven't really tried that yet.

Owns. Good color choice

Gotta paint me up a Slann some day, but I got Lord Kroak on Mindtaker Miniatures for cheap, so I'm just gonna counts-as as-needed.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Max Wilco posted:

That looks good. I think I might order from them.

Once you register they give you 10% off also.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Once you register they give you 10% off also.

I already made the order without registering an account, but I'll be sure to register in future to order something else. Shipping prices seem kind of high, but it looks like they've got quite a selection of stuff. (Did a search, and they sell the Patriot 105, as well as the Stylnylrez primer)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Finished my test miniature for my Cawdor Cabal (excluding base, haven't decided what to do with bases yet).

I want to try something a little different with the chest on the next ones I do, but otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Quoting myself. Do you think the pants need more highlights? I was trying to highlight them less to draw the eye to the chest and head.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 2, 2020

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

hooman posted:

Quoting myself. Do you think the pants need more highlights? I was trying to highlight them less to draw the eye to the chest and head.

Personal opinion, maybe go another layer of highlight/edge highlighting up on the face in order to draw that focus and try keeping the pants as they are.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

TotalHell posted:

Personal opinion, maybe go another layer of highlight/edge highlighting up on the face in order to draw that focus and try keeping the pants as they are.

Agreed. The face/head is where the eye is naturally drawn so it's a good idea to spend some time here giving it some additional detail and highlights.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just finished my first five Orlocks with a little weathering. I don't have an actual photo set up right now (my lightbox is back home in storage) so I fudged something together with desk lamps and sheets of printer paper.
Gangers

Juves

I really enjoyed painting these guys. The Orlock models are great and I have 15 more to do :shepface:. I'm not 100% happy with the black leather yet, but I'll tweak my recipe a bit on the next five. Maybe do some blending. I'll also be doing some more hazard stripes on shoulder plates, back plates, etc. My scheme is overall pretty dark and the extra spot colors help. I kept the metal darker than I usually do with my marines (House of Iron and all that) and I want to keep weathering light, but definitely not as clean as my usual style.

For my next project, I'm going to bounce back to my Blood Bowl lizardmen. I have four skinks done and I'll be working on three of the saurus next. They're big, beefy boys and covered in detail and scales so I don't want to do all six at once. My chosen skin tone is an homage to my old WHFB (:rip:) army. However, since the team is already green, I want to have the chameleon skinks stand out so I'm going to get weird with them.

I am fully planning on classic grass/astroturf bases with goblin green rims.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished my fifth warband, Magore & Friends.

Learned that I hate painting armor trim.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Are Citadel Dry paints supposed to be sticky jello consistency? like i could literally pull the entire blob of paint out of the jar at once and not leave a drop in the jar or did i get an old jar?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Winklebottom posted:

Learned that I hate painting armor trim.

This is what I am learning painting Rubric marines. I look at the clean lines of Primaris marines and get jealous. The spiky trim is the price of traitors, since it was the same when I painted up some of the new CSM too.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

This is probably a stupid question, but I ran into a problem while building some primaris intercessors: how do I get the shoulder pads onto the combat knife arm? No matter how I twist, turn or re-position it, I can't glue it on. Am I missing something fundamental here, or will I have to break out the green stuff?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

inscrutable horse posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I ran into a problem while building some primaris intercessors: how do I get the shoulder pads onto the combat knife arm? No matter how I twist, turn or re-position it, I can't glue it on. Am I missing something fundamental here, or will I have to break out the green stuff?

Intercessors or Reivers? Because the Reivers have one pauldron already sculpted on the shoulder

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ineptitude posted:

Are Citadel Dry paints supposed to be sticky jello consistency? like i could literally pull the entire blob of paint out of the jar at once and not leave a drop in the jar or did i get an old jar?

little of A, little of B.

It's a poo poo product in general, because its a half-dried out pot of acrylic paint in the first place.

But no, that does sound a very old pot. I bought an 'Ultimate' paint set way back when, and every single dry paint was like that out of the box. It's a garbage, garbage product.

You can achieve exactly the same effect you're after with a normal pot of paint, and some paper towel.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Loden Taylor posted:

inscrutable horse posted:

primaris intercessors

Intercessors or Reivers? Because the Reivers have one pauldron already sculpted on the shoulder
Intercessors :D It's this particular bit that's giving me trouble.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Safety Factor posted:

I want to have the chameleon skinks stand out so I'm going to get weird with them.

http://screameleons.com/chameleon-breeder/

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Ineptitude posted:

Yup, that's roughly their consistency - more pigment and a more viscous medium, so they go further as Drybrush paints than regular pots would. Old dry paint pots become little balled up clumps that are difficult to penetrate with a brush - they still work as Drybrush paints but will cause more damage to bristles since you have to be rough with it to get the paint on them in the first place.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I once had the red Dry paint re-activate on my drybrush after weeks of inactivity. I stopped using them after that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Exactly what I'm going for. I fully plan on one with red skin and yellow stripes. Not sure what I'll do for the second yet.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Bastiladon done!

Crystal could have turned out better but it is okay.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 3, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Yeast posted:

little of A, little of B.

It's a poo poo product in general, because its a half-dried out pot of acrylic paint in the first place.

But no, that does sound a very old pot. I bought an 'Ultimate' paint set way back when, and every single dry paint was like that out of the box. It's a garbage, garbage product.

You can achieve exactly the same effect you're after with a normal pot of paint, and some paper towel.

Can i put water in it to get it back up to par?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

Bastiladon done!

Crystal could have turned out better but it is okay.

The tortoise shell effect on the scales is fantastic, how'd you do it?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

The tortoise shell effect on the scales is fantastic, how'd you do it?

It's just a bunch of contrast paint, they are skeleton horde -> snakebite with the greenish ones hit with akhelian green. Then it's just highlights of ushabti and syberite respectively.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is there a technical/material reason why you shouldn’t thin your acrylic paint down with a similar-coloured ink? on the face of it this seems like a great idea - you get something that flows smoothly and would have superb coverage. but maybe the two media won’t mix that well? might end up with a weird streaky finish?

im gonna try it and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

jesus WEP posted:

is there a technical/material reason why you shouldn’t thin your acrylic paint down with a similar-coloured ink? on the face of it this seems like a great idea - you get something that flows smoothly and would have superb coverage. but maybe the two media won’t mix that well? might end up with a weird streaky finish?

im gonna try it and see what happens.

I’ve done this with Vallejo inks with no ill effects. I’d only suggest being careful of white, it can be finicky.