Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

new kind of cat posted:

we are all losing our fuckibg minds even those who live offline

especially those who live offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bearjew posted:

Let's dispel with this fiction that number doesn't know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it's doing.

lol someone get chris christie on the phone. his services are needed again

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Bearjew posted:

Let's dispel with this fiction that number doesn't know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it's doing.

remember when he got owned hard by the fat man

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
my mother somehow thinks we can still plan a family trip to disney world for september lmaoahahah i can’t bring myself to break it to her and even if i did she would just chastise it as pessimism like she always does because she’s somehow got it in her head that positive thinking is all anything takes

anyway the lights came back on in town so i guess that episode is on hold

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
this 998k is bullshit. Tick over a solid mil already

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone checked on the incels? Are they happy everyone is an incel now?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/marinakoren/status/1245774616301273089

quote:

For other species, less noise pollution is no doubt welcome. Michelle Fournet, a marine ecologist at Cornell who studies acoustic environments, is hoping to position underwater microphones off the coast of Alaska and Florida, where she has studied humpback whales and other marine life, to investigate how the waters have changed in the absence of noise from cruise ships as the industry suspends operations worldwide.

“Just pulling those cruise ships out of the water is going to reduce the amount of global ocean noise almost instantaneously,” Fournet told me. “We’re experiencing an unprecedented pause in ocean noise that probably hasn’t been experienced in decades.”

Read: It’s tough being a right whale these days

Research has shown that ambient noise from ships and other maritime traffic can increase stress-hormone levels in marine creatures, which can affect their reproductive success. Whales have even shown they can adapt to the din, pausing their singing when cargo ships are near and resuming when they move away.

The unexpected ecological moment brought on by the pandemic reminds Fournet of an accidental experiment that unfolded in the days after 9/11, when ship traffic in North American waters ground to a halt. Researchers working in Canada’s Bay of Fundy—already making recordings and taking samples before the terrorist attacks—eventually found that over the course of just a few days, when the noisy waters calmed, right whales in the bay experienced a drop in their stress-level hormones.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

thread keeps dipping into really weird places, last couple of days

Yeah everyones either in the verge of a mental breakdown are suffering from cognitive dissonance that they're not, it own

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Agean90 posted:

Yeah everyones either in the verge of a mental breakdown are suffering from cognitive dissonance that they're not, it own

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

CODChimera posted:

how does that make sense in any reality

because the stock market has little to do with the economy on any given day and based on company metrics that aren’t even necessarily profitability. now that those companies have ejected all that dead weight they are ready to fly high!

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

if there's one thing this crisis has revealed to me, it's that huge swaths of first-world people have literally zero survival instinct

like how many people did you know who watched Chernobyl on HBO are were like "drat it's crazy how many people went on suicide missions!" and now they're doing the same thing except instead of, I don't know, containing nuclear fallout they're going into the office to do something "essential" like beanie baby inside sales

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

sum posted:

Look if you're serious about it I've got nothing but support for you. But I don't think most CSPAM posters can stomach the lifestyle change of going from eating Doordash shawarma on their couches to making GBS threads in a pit in the woods and being blown up by drones

The human animal can adapt to anything. :)

E: except necrotizing encephalopathy lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1245786657485402115

Hachi loving Machi

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
double digit unemployment for years

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1245783697116131328

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Platystemon posted:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization!

—W. T. Sherman, comments to Prof. David F. Boyd at the Louisiana State Seminary, 24 December 1860

This is like from 18 pages back but people should really look at his speech because he literally outlined the course the war would take and the eventual result in a manner that was eerily correct.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

god humanity is just loving trash

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i will not log off

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

hello

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

kony 2012!!!!

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

general sherman did nothing wrong

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

doxxed again

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

This is like from 18 pages back but people should really look at his speech because he literally outlined the course the war would take and the eventual result in a manner that was eerily correct.

they should have made him president

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

deport him to mad-hole

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

florida fully committed to death crew

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1245791216987303937?s=21

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

snoo posted:

god humanity is just loving trash

It's not humanity. It's capitalism thru and thru.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Trump doctor is sex cake

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

It's not humanity. It's capitalism thru and thru.

you are right but we don't see the whales inventing capitalism now do we

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

i wonder how much this is offset by death tolls being higher than initially expected

how many people will coast through the worst of this on an unexpected inheritance? will banks decide houses arent worth foreclosing if nobody is capable of buying in the first place? it would be better to keep homeowners where they are than risk an asset being destroyed forever

there are more variables in play right now than anyone can account for

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Der Meister posted:

sherman did lots of things wrong, but he got one thing right and he knocked out of the loving park.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

double digit unemployment for years

just the flu, bro

e: they predict we'll hit 10% unemployment in Q2 this year

motherfuckers we're already there

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

As nice as this is I wonder how much extra time it will buy us in the end to fight climate change

Maybe a year or two from the severe economic impact?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1245788288960643072

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Der Meister posted:

well, until he went West, anyway

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

As nice as this is I wonder how much extra time it will buy us in the end to fight climate change

Maybe a year or two from the severe economic impact?

it does present an opportunity to adopt at least some of the radical changes proposed in the green new deal

its unlikely that we actually sieze that opportunity, but its possible now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Normal behavior: Drying meat in my garage. Planting food because I might be poor this summer.

Abnormal behavior: Calculating the risk to my housemate if I pick up a package from the post office today.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Lawman 0 posted:

https://twitter.com/marinakoren/status/1245774616301273089

quote:

For other species, less noise pollution is no doubt welcome. Michelle Fournet, a marine ecologist at Cornell who studies acoustic environments, is hoping to position underwater microphones off the coast of Alaska and Florida, where she has studied humpback whales and other marine life, to investigate how the waters have changed in the absence of noise from cruise ships as the industry suspends operations worldwide.

“Just pulling those cruise ships out of the water is going to reduce the amount of global ocean noise almost instantaneously,” Fournet told me. “We’re experiencing an unprecedented pause in ocean noise that probably hasn’t been experienced in decades.”

Read: It’s tough being a right whale these days

Research has shown that ambient noise from ships and other maritime traffic can increase stress-hormone levels in marine creatures, which can affect their reproductive success. Whales have even shown they can adapt to the din, pausing their singing when cargo ships are near and resuming when they move away.

The unexpected ecological moment brought on by the pandemic reminds Fournet of an accidental experiment that unfolded in the days after 9/11, when ship traffic in North American waters ground to a halt. Researchers working in Canada’s Bay of Fundy—already making recordings and taking samples before the terrorist attacks—eventually found that over the course of just a few days, when the noisy waters calmed, right whales in the bay experienced a drop in their stress-level hormones.

whales are constantly stressed because of capitalism eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Der Meister posted:

Yeah he did--he didn't burn enough....