Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It kind of is they are a company and it’s not like they can pivot to manufacturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m so upset. I was really looking forward to it next month. More time for the backlog I guess, (and animal crossing of course).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

haveblue posted:

Maybe a very minor increase in risk? Probably no more than receiving any other delivery or buying any other item at a store. The virus can't survive on plastic or cardboard for longer than a day or two.

e: The big danger, other than airborne droplets, is fixtures which are touched frequently by many different people. A retail game is touched by relatively few people a few times and spends long periods in storage.

Plastic and metal is three days, cardboard is one.

Regardless I just think ND doesn't want this to touch their bottom line regardless. And I'm sure the social distancing doesn't exactly help work schedules. Working from home is a thing, sure, but it still makes things tougher.

At least it gives them a good excuse to continue plugging away at the game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The Last of Us II would be too drat depressing to play next month.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Here's some more details on the reason for the delay. Seems like it has more to do with trouble shipping and selling the physical game than anything else

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1245789672007221248

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
If Cyberpunk gets delayed again i will be so sad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Uh, there's a pandemic going on right now. Maybe releasing games isn't their top priority at the moment.

Lol yeah, maybe Naughty Dog is too busy doing self care and looking after the employees that they ground into dust to get this game finished to release it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Zeta Acosta posted:

If Cyberpunk gets delayed again i will be so sad

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, seeing as how that's not supposed to be out until September.

It just really sting with TLOU2 because now we don't even have a release date, and we were one month from it releasing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dying because you went to GameStop would be very on-brand for this thread

dying because you went to walmart instead of gamestop, for ethical reasons, would be even more on brand for this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The first time ethical and Walmart are in the same sentence

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Willo567 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, seeing as how that's not supposed to be out until September.

It just really sting with TLOU2 because now we don't even have a release date, and we were one month from it releasing.

We don't know how COVID has affected any of these companies development pipelines, but I'd be suprising if they were managing to be as productive. I wouldn't be surprised if they push it to early next year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of this from big releases this year. Afaik retail walk in is still a big part of sales.

Although at the same time it seems like they are risking sitting on a finished game as the economy gets worse and worse with the end result being "Everyone can go outside now. Go buy your copy at Target! Wait? No one has any money now? poo poo."

Seems to me like it would be smarter to release it now while people are stuck inside and have some money in the bank but I'm also just speculating here. Although it might also just be hard to even get discs pressed now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

We don't know how COVID has affected any of these companies development pipelines, but I'd be suprising if they were managing to be as productive. I wouldn't be surprised if they push it to early next year.

Cyberpunk, yeah it probably will be pushed to next year. I still think it's possible TLOU2 comes out in 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Under the most optimistic timelines things are returning to normal by fall, and in that case they could probably make 2020. So, expect 2021.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was trying to see where i could find control cheaply and uhhhh, google let me know that walmart is selling cyberpunk 2077 for uhhhh 29.99??? that can't possibly be right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They hosed up big time announcing Cyberpunk for this console gen. It's gonna look so unbelievably poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hyped-Up Junk Coming Neventy-Never!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Why the gently caress are GameStop stores still open. I thought they got called out on their essential bullshit?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The dystopia of Cyberpunk will look like a pretty nice place to live by the time the game is released

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rad Valtar posted:

Why the gently caress are GameStop stores still open. I thought they got called out on their essential bullshit?

Half of the US does not have restrictions yet

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

Under the most optimistic timelines things are returning to normal by fall, and in that case they could probably make 2020. So, expect 2021.

Didn't all the Covid talk say to expect this to last until at least Spring 2021, as a best case scenario? I remember that being the general consensus before things started getting worse because governments weren't taking the correct measures and then when they slowly began to catch up the public isn't really listening which is going to drag things on even longer.

They hosed up big time announcing Cyberpunk for this console gen. It's gonna look so unbelievably poo poo

There's no way it looks anywhere near as good as that original "gameplay demo" and I wish they'd just delay it for a couple years, move it to next gen and get the game back to looking like that because it would be worth it. Still bummed about the huge hit Witcher 3 took, and that was far less ambitious.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i skipped a bunch of posts but i'm really looking to the last of us part 2 when it releases in may. cant wait!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

There's no way it looks anywhere near as good as that original "gameplay demo" and I wish they'd just delay it for a couple years, move it to next gen and get the game back to looking like that because it would be worth it. Still bummed about the huge hit Witcher 3 took, and that was far less ambitious.

Agreed. Like they have to get it running on the loving Xbox One

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

PA is the only state that pulled their business license. They closed all of their stores in a few states which are strictly enforcing "essential business" categories, but for much of the the USA they're closed to customers but will do curbside pickup for online orders and I think you can walk up and ask for stuff at many of them still.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really wanted to play TLOU2 next month and this loving sucks.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Part of me thinks CDPR could potentially manage to pull a stunt like that (outright cancelling the current-gen versions) because there's so much hype and passionate fans but they signed a physical distribution deal with WB Games. Those XB1/PS4 versions are gonna happen no matter what.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SUNKOS posted:

Didn't all the Covid talk say to expect this to last until at least Spring 2021, as a best case scenario? I remember that being the general consensus before things started getting worse because governments weren't taking the correct measures and then when they slowly began to catch up the public isn't really listening which is going to drag things on even longer.

It's more complicated than there being just one date. (Depending on your government) you can expect measures being phased in and out, some things will get back to a semelence of normality sooner than others. But yeah, spring 2021 would be a good outcome time-scale for working vaccine, but there's a lot of things that can be reopened etc before there's a vaccine, especially with extensive testing for antibodies to find out who's already been infected and thus is likely mostly immune.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Basically every games company has transitioned to everybody working from home by now and it's not affected productivity much.

It's been hilarious seeing all these places that would never allow working from home have to make the change and oh poo poo it works just fine.

Really wishing people would get dressed before the morning stand ups, though. I don't need to see you in your dressing gown on a grainy webcam every day.

Edit: to be clear I'd much rather be back in the office, not everybody works as well or wants to work from home, but it's close enough in terms of getting the work done.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 2, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Timetables at this point is pointless just assume it will be a thing for a long time

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ErrEff posted:

Part of me thinks CDPR could potentially manage to pull a stunt like that (outright cancelling the current-gen versions) because there's so much hype and passionate fans but they signed a physical distribution deal with WB Games. Those XB1/PS4 versions are gonna happen no matter what.

The inevitable Crowbcat comparison video is going to be really depressing, especially that moment where they first exit the apartment building and the streets are flooded with unique NPCs walking around in the original demo and the final version has 5-10 people in the distance and barely any traffic.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CharlestheHammer posted:

Timetables at this point is pointless just assume it will be a thing for a long time

Yeah. The secret answer is "Nobody loving knows". I was in a call on COVID with a load of epidemiological modellers today, and our general conclusion was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

My ps4 is doing the whole jet engine thing despite monthly cleanings. I’m wondering if I should just drop the money on a pro since the 5 will most likely be delayed, or won’t have anything to play for a while even if it does launch this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

scrub down, PSfailures, a crowd of covidposting comin atcha!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was a post earlier in this thread right as the lockdowns were happening where someone was contemplating going to Gamestop to get Mass Effect Andromeda on sale

:tif:

Bet they regret crunching now

LMAO

acksplode posted:

What a weirdly vague statement. "Logistic issues" prevent TLOU2 from launching with the "best experience for everyone"...wtf does that mean? They're delaying the game indefinitely because Amazon can't get a copy to everyone on release day? I'm just gonna assume they're bullshitting and the real reason is they want to release when the economy isn't in a tailspin and people have more spending money.

I mean...obviously? Their entire garbage corporate structure is dependent on every little facet of launch being PERFECT so that everyone can get bonuses. The real question is when will it be stolen Half Life 2 style so somebody can spoil the whole thing over twitch?

Housh posted:

The Last of Us II would be too drat depressing to play next month.

Yeah, prolly. It honestly brings tears to my eyes when I think about what hospital staff and healthcare workers in general are gonna go through. Prison populations are straight up going into mass grave mode. Oh gently caress, the people in ICE detention centers...jesus...

Vikar Jerome posted:

i skipped a bunch of posts but i'm really looking to the last of us part 2 when it releases in may. cant wait!

This post is :discourse:

SUNKOS posted:

In some cities, yeah. We're all going to be social distancing for a long rear end time, though I think shelter in place will let up in certain places by summer. LA, NYC, Miami, Atlanta, etc are all looking loving bleak like the hospitals will be unable to cope since they've been gutted of critical infrastructure for decades now thanks to for-profit, just-in-time care cost cutting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Witcher 3 looks great who cares except the dozen of you who own a 4k TV

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Akuma posted:

Basically every games company has transitioned to everybody working from home by now and it's not affected productivity much.

It's been hilarious seeing all these places that would never allow working from home have to make the change and oh poo poo it works just fine.

Really wishing people would get dressed before the morning stand ups, though. I don't need to see you in your dressing gown on a grainy webcam every day.

Edit: to be clear I'd much rather be back in the office, not everybody works as well or wants to work from home, but it's close enough in terms of getting the work done.

I think you'll see guidelines being much softer on WFH after all of this like maybe show up to the office 1-3 days a week but maybe more people WFH on Fridays or something.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A lot of what made companies resistant to WFH was that they didn't want to invest in the technology, processes, and culture necessary to make it work as well as an office. Now that they're being forced to make those investments, I think a lot of companies are gonna eventually look at their offices and wonder why they have them at all. Especially if shelter-in-place continues long enough that they decide to stop paying rent for unused space and give up their leases. Then inertia will be on the side of sticking with WFH.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am so poorly at the moment but I turned my PS4 on a few minutes ago and resident evil three is 2 hours and 3 minutes away from unlocking and I might stay up because the alternative is tossing and turning in bed not feeling great.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

VideoGames posted:

I am so poorly at the moment but I turned my PS4 on a few minutes ago and resident evil three is 2 hours and 3 minutes away from unlocking and I might stay up because the alternative is tossing and turning in bed not feeling great.

Feel better soon!

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I was going to preorder TLOU2 this week, so I'm a bit disappointed. Still, Gorn is coming to PSVR soon, so I have spare PSN credit for that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Do you have Covid 😳 I've got something that'll cheer you up :

I got Nier:A (again)
I'm gonna try it. I started Plague Tale but it's too stressful at the moment.