Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao at Spacegodzilla, Death Corona

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-spacegodzilla-2020-04-02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/mtgazone/status/1245754517188038656

Anyone know how mutate works in Brawl? Can I make Snapdax my Commander and then cast him for the mutate cost without paying any commander taxes?

I believe the extra cost for Commanders in Brawl is just whenever they would be cast from the command zone, regardless of how, but I guess this one will remain to be seen.

Good this was a dumb name anyway.

The really neat thing about Mutate for me is that it gives a solid outlet for those early chumps and wasted tokens, to basically give them all 'sacrifice this to give a bigger creature Haste - indeed they've spoiled something that's already that, the black 1-1 for 1 that doesn't do much except have a mutate based ability.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/mtgazone/status/1245785504257212416

The threat of turning any of your creatures into a 6/6 trampler when Brokkos is in the yard seems pretty ok.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just played a game where I had 0 cards in my library for the last 5 turns.
Because as long as I had my Underrealm Lich, I don't technically draw cards.

During those turns I had a pair of Pharika's spawns that I escaped around 6 times total. Then I had worn down his defender low enough to kill him.

I suppose this deck needs a bit less self-mill and a bit more payoff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is is worth it to put an Arcane Signet into a mono color Brawl deck? Specifically Nissa?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I just played a game where I had 0 cards in my library for the last 5 turns.
Because as long as I had my Underrealm Lich, I don't technically draw cards.

During those turns I had a pair of Pharika's spawns that I escaped around 6 times total. Then I had worn down his defender low enough to kill him.

I suppose this deck needs a bit less self-mill and a bit more payoff.

Might I suggest Polukranos?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is is worth it to put an Arcane Signet into a mono color Brawl deck? Specifically Nissa?
Do you like to cast Nissa on turn 4?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Probably not, put in Goose and Druids instead, which also block and/or attack. You're green, you don't need colourless ramp artifacts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Might I suggest Polukranos?
If I was in the mood to spend wildcards, he would already be in there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Boco_T posted:

Do you like to cast Nissa on turn 4?

Good point.

thespaceinvader posted:

Probably not, put in Goose and Druids instead, which also block and/or attack. You're green, you don't need colourless ramp artifacts.

I already have all that stuff in there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Elephant Ambush posted:

ramp is good but given that you're monocolor you don't really need fixing ramp. I still might if you're looking for ramp that doesn't rely on mana dorks since it doesn't die to creature removal but it depends on the rest of your build

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Can Act of Betrayal + Fling kill Thassa, the invincible? Probably only if you have enough devotion to make her stay a creature, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Good point.

I already have all that stuff in there.

Then no, you probably don't need it. Omen of the Hunt is probably worthwhile bu other than that, you don't wanna waste a card on just ramp I don't think.

VictualSquid posted:

Can Act of Betrayal + Fling kill Thassa, the invincible? Probably only if you have enough devotion to make her stay a creature, right?

Yes, sacrificing creatures goes past invincible, but yes, it only works if you have enough blue to keep her a creature, if not I think Claim the Firstborn's effect stops and she's immmediately returned? Or she becomes an enchantment and is returned at the end of the round?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

ramp is good but given that you're monocolor you don't really need fixing ramp. I still might if you're looking for ramp that doesn't rely on mana dorks since it doesn't die to creature removal but it depends on the rest of your build

This is another good point. Control is everywhere these days and mana dorks do get swept sometimes. I'll throw it in and play some games and see if it makes a difference. At this point the deck is close to how I want it and I'm just fine tuning.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Then no, you probably don't need it. Omen of the Hunt is probably worthwhile bu other than that, you don't wanna waste a card on just ramp I don't think.

I have Omen too. It's great.

I'll probably replace District Guide. Tutoring for lands isn't nearly as good as just putting them into play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Do you have Beanstalk Giant?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Do you have Beanstalk Giant?

Yup.

Like I said I'm looking for min max fine tuning ideas.

Edit: just had someone concede to Veil of Summer keeping them from countering Nissa :laugh:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm having a good time with this black red aggro that grew out of the Rakdos starter. I like it much more than monored because it has that "spend life to hit the gas pedal" card draw thing going on. I can aggro down lots of opponents even into midgame and the Footlight Fiends, particularly, give me a real fighting chance against monored.

4 Footlight Fiend
2 Scorch Spitter
4 Shock
3 Stormfist Crusader
1 Robber of the Rich
2 Dreadhorde Butcher
2 Midnight Reaper
1 Murder
1 Bedevil
4 Light Up The Stage
4 Skewer The Critics
4 Hackrobat
4 Rakdos Firewheeler
2 Castle Embereth
2 Castle Lochtwain
4 Blood Crypt
2 Temple of Malice
7 Mountain
7 Swamp

What should I do to tune it up?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, sacrificing creatures goes past invincible, but yes, it only works if you have enough blue to keep her a creature, if not I think Claim the Firstborn's effect stops and she's immmediately returned? Or she becomes an enchantment and is returned at the end of the round?

Claim/Threaten/etc don't care if she remains a creature once you've stolen her. If you don't have enough devotion she'll stop being a creature, but your opponent still won't get her back until end step.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

Claim/Threaten/etc don't care if she remains a creature once you've stolen her. If you don't have enough devotion she'll stop being a creature, but your opponent still won't get her back until end step.

But she needs to be a creature if you want to spend her on a "sacrifice a creature" cost, like Fling.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
lmao @ STATEMENT ON SPACEGODZILLA - the Death Corona

Also this one lmfao -

What the hell is happening

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I mean they can't all be apex predators.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
lovely cards need to exist and honestly that's a decent big butt in draft.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Loving the spoilers so far, my "big dumb dinos" commander deck is gonna get much more ridiculous, and so will it's MTGA brawl version

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Historic Brawl was a permanent mode. Lotta great dinos in Ixalan and m19

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

salt shakeup posted:

Also this one lmfao -

The pentagon needs to see every card from the next Magic expansion right now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

Also this one lmfao -

WotC knew. They loving knew.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The Clowner posted:

same, it was my favorite special format in a long time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Clowner posted:

Isn't that basically as close to proper Commander as we can currently get? Because yeah I feel like it should always be a thing. I'd probably even cough up for the Historic bundles just for that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

The pentagon needs to see every card from the next Magic expansion right now.

The next global-scale catastrophe will be caused by four Teferis in Standard at once, mark my words

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cracking up that they seemingly removed weekly win xp from ranked draft

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Teferi, Crafter of Nukes

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

salt shakeup posted:

Also this one lmfao -

I hope they printed a mask artifact at rare.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kuiperdolin posted:

I hope they printed a mask artifact at rare.

But did they reprint Karona, False God?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

lovely cards need to exist and honestly that's a decent big butt in draft.

Pangolins are a known reservoir of Coronavirus in the wild, is what people are going on about.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BioThermo posted:

Pangolins are a known reservoir of Coronavirus in the wild, is what people are going on about.

Oh

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BioThermo posted:

oh man then people are gonna lose their poo poo at this one

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Death Corona was a hell of a timing but anyone acting all weirded out by the existence of pangolins and bats in cards has definitely started going a bit stir-crazy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't doubt it's just a coincidence but I'd never even heard of pangolins before coronavirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't doubt it's just a coincidence but I'd never even heard of pangolins before coronavirus

That's a shame, since they own. It's real weird they made them mono-Black of all colors, it's just an armored ant-eater.