Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Doggles posted:

All this talk about rank got me to fall down the Memory Alpha hole, where I was reminded about Discovery's ranks. Somehow every other Star Trek series was able to clearly show a character's rank in SD, but Discovery made it near impossible to determine a character's rank even in HD.

Jesus, I don't think I'd be able to tell what those ranks were even in real life. Even when Trek did go with the ranks being displayed on the communicators, they also went with the traditional neck pips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should've at least included the sleeve stripes from TOS as well, those would totally fit.

Also

quote:

In Bryan Fuller's original conception of the series that became Star Trek: Discovery, the Starfleet uniforms were to have been a subdued version of the primary colors from Star Trek: The Original Series' Starfleet uniforms. (Entertainment Weekly, issue 1476, p. 27) The uniforms ultimately seen in DIS were designed by Gersha Phillips, who opined that, while the original Starfleet uniforms were "great costumes, I just don't think they resonate anymore, and they don't resonate in 2259."

Meanwhile, literally everyone thinks the coloured uniforms Disco used for the Enterprise were much much better than the actual Disco uniforms. And the JJTrek uniforms worked pretty drat well too, to be honest.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I liked the Disco uniforms as a logical evolution of the Enterprise uniforms.

Not so much as a prequel or Star Trek uniform.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I liked the Disco uniforms as a logical evolution of the Enterprise uniforms.

Not so much as a prequel or Star Trek uniform.

Eh, they lack the best element of the Enterprise uniforms, which is that they're clearly designed to be practical working outfits first.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A nice looking fan ship design I found yesterday, for people to consider:

https://images.app.goo.gl/3tpsdyFNv2jFJnuS8

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Hero *bangs cup on table* of *bang* Setlik *bang* III *bang*

He showed the cardis what's wot. If starfleet wants to honor him with a special insignia. Belay that-

*vomits*

They bloody well can.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The idea was partly that everything had shifted, too. Like how two hundred years ago a plain bachelor's degree was extremely rare and marked you as a proper expert of some kind, but today they're omnipresent and everyone in some industries will have one.

So everyone holds an officer rank but being an ensign doesn't necessarily mean as much as it does today. But it let Gene get rid of the commissioned/enlisted divide, which he disliked because it was too much like a two-class structure.

After they kicked out Gene they (RDM, really) reintroduced noncoms and enlisted and that idea was downscaled and it all became a bit contradictory, what with still having enlisted but not having enough for it to make sense.

Was this supposed to be something for TNG? Because there were definitely enlisted in TOS from the getgo, that gently caress-ugly salt creature from the first broadcast episode "The Man-Trap" turns into one and almost kills Uhura. Anyone in those blue or red V-neck jumpers was a crewman, not an officer.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Its like someone took the Centaur and forced it to have a baby with a Babylon 5 Whitestar.

That thing is super uggo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

They should've at least included the sleeve stripes from TOS as well, those would totally fit.

Also

Meanwhile, literally everyone thinks the coloured uniforms Disco used for the Enterprise were much much better than the actual Disco uniforms. And the JJTrek uniforms worked pretty drat well too, to be honest.
I was watching one of the Short Treks the other day with the TOS unis and they are just so much better than the Disco ones. The only shows to have those kinds of unis are Disco and ENT, otherwise in all of Trek there is some kind of easy color scheme to identify the department each person is in.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FlamingLiberal posted:

otherwise in all of Trek there is some kind of easy color scheme to identify the department each person is in.

You mean you can't tell the exact shade of the metallic shoulder piping under Disco's fantastic and always well-balanced scene lighting? I mean c'mon, you have extremely easy-to-recognize colors like Barely Gold-ish, Barely Silver Sorta, and Barely Bronze Maybe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Putting the pips on the Starfleet insignia is just :psyduck:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The TOS style uniforms were awesome in contrast to the Discovery ones but they seemed like kind of an eyesore on their own

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

People like that bug me, because what's the point of working on a franchise like Trek if you seem to actively dislike it.

For all their flaws, one thing the new Star Wars films got right was the aesthetic where effects were updated, but everything seemed like it was made with love for the originals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Possibly not due to the date, but maybe is?

https://twitter.com/georgetakei/status/1245320271860547586

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1245432996901027840?s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
George! :argh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m pretty ambivalent about April Fool in the first place but you have to do better than just “tell a lie”

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The TOS style uniforms were awesome in contrast to the Discovery ones but they seemed like kind of an eyesore on their own

I mean, they are the exact same uniforms just with a changed colour scheme. I think the TOS type ones can actually be more unflattering to the actors than the Discovery types at times.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

Its like someone took the Centaur and forced it to have a baby with a Babylon 5 Whitestar.

That thing is super uggo.

Hmm ok, you're uggo. I'll be updating my notes accordingly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

I mean, they are the exact same uniforms just with a changed colour scheme. I think the TOS type ones can actually be more unflattering to the actors than the Discovery types at times.

Eh, that just a changed color scheme does a lot, since it blends out features that used to be called out and makes them subliminal background texturing instead.

Plus they did straight up remove the piping from the shoulders and the glittery mini-starfleet-logo-pattern textures on the sides. Also I'm not sure but I kinda feel like maybe the Enterprise uniforms have more padding out in the shoulders? They seem straighter and less conforming.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 2, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The black Disco collar works great on those primary-colored uniforms too. Super 1960's imo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It reminds me of all of the "lol, you want it to look like cheesy 60s cardboard trash" arguments that popped up with the Apple store looking JJprise and the production design of STD s1.
Then they went and made something that looked modern but still like the loving Enterprise AND designed uniforms that looked good while still clearly being TOS uniforms.

I hate being a person that gives even a tiny poo poo about this sort of thing. It's loving frustrating.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Eh, that just a changed color scheme does a lot, since it blends out features that used to be called out and makes them subliminal background texturing instead.

Plus they did straight up remove the piping from the shoulders and the glittery mini-starfleet-logo-pattern textures on the sides.

The shoulders are actually the same, it's just also blended in by the colour. The only real changes other than colour are no side textures and using TOS style braids on the wrists to signify rank instead of the shoulders (Discovery types use gold shoulders for captains, gold shoulders and outer shoulders for admirals)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I woke up from a fantastical dream where Worf and I had to go to 4 different Home Depots to locate a bronzed dimmer switch.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gonz posted:

I woke up from a fantastical dream where Worf and I had to go to 4 different Home Depots to locate a bronzed dimmer switch.

And? Did you succeed on your mission, or did you bring shame upon your house?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Epicurius posted:

And? Did you succeed on your mission, or did you bring shame upon your house?

I’ll never know. I woke up.

Much Bij is to be experienced, i’d imagine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOWE'S HAS NO HONOR!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"We were about to leave, our heads hung in shame and failure, when I spotted the cowardly p'taqh! An Antique Bronze finish switch hiding like a cornered Romulan in a pile of Oiled Brass switches. Truly, Kahless smiled upon us as we met the Home Despot in retail combat and rose to defeat him! Much bloodwine was consumed in celebration of this victory."

"Worf, I told you, I could have replicated you a light switch and installed it, it wouldn't have been any trouble at all."

"YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND KLINGON WAYS! IF JADZIA HAD NOT COUNTED YOU A FRIEND, CHIEF O'BRIEN, I WOULD KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Admiralty Flag posted:

as we met the Home Despot in retail combat

I loving died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Admiralty Flag posted:

"We were about to leave, our heads hung in shame and failure, when I spotted the cowardly p'taqh! An Antique Bronze finish switch hiding like a cornered Romulan in a pile of Oiled Brass switches. Truly, Kahless smiled upon us as we met the Home Despot in retail combat and rose to defeat him! Much bloodwine was consumed in celebration of this victory."

"Worf, I told you, I could have replicated you a light switch and installed it, it wouldn't have been any trouble at all."

"YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND KLINGON WAYS! IF JADZIA HAD NOT COUNTED YOU A FRIEND, CHIEF O'BRIEN, I WOULD KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

The black Disco collar works great on those primary-colored uniforms too. Super 1960's imo.

I love a good asymmetrical collar. It's 2020, everything should be at a jaunty tangent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I love a good asymmetrical collar. It's 2020, everything should be at a jaunty tangent.

This really isn't a "jaunty tangent" year, more like "oblong slope into the abyss"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Speaking of which,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBund8uLmo

Great channel, dude really knows his warships.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Goofy rear end first season DS9 is much better than people give it credit for, especially the more whimsical episodes like Move Along Home or If Wishes Were Horses. As long as it wasn't an a plot that revolved around "Bajorans are a deeply spiritual people but it's maybe reeeeeal?" or "stubborn people refuse to change for no good reason #243" they were pretty good and the characters are still far better than anyone in Voyager aside from the Doctor or Seven or sometimes Janeway.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Goofy rear end first season DS9 is much better than people give it credit for, especially the more whimsical episodes like Move Along Home or If Wishes Were Horses. As long as it wasn't an a plot that revolved around "Bajorans are a deeply spiritual people but it's maybe reeeeeal?" or "stubborn people refuse to change for no good reason #243" they were pretty good and the characters are still far better than anyone in Voyager aside from the Doctor or Seven or sometimes Janeway.

I agree.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

This really isn't a "jaunty tangent" year, more like "oblong slope into the abyss"

Oh well if we're dressing metaphorically, 2020 would be a bloody-sputum-stained suspender barrel and a swastika armband

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I just posted about this in the cursed Picard thread but even the goofy whimsical episodes at least were more confident in the setting and characters. By the first half of the first season we knew the characters pretty well, and they were all colorful and unique individuals. Voyager's whole crew was just bland as gently caress. The better (or at least more fun) characterizations like Janeway going full-psycho later on, The Doctor developing better, Seven showing up aren't there, and the stuff that made characters worse (Garrett's tensions, Beltran not giving a gently caress) don't really matter - Kim and Chakotay are already bland as oatmeal from the get-go.

For the most part, DS9 knew exactly what it wanted its characters to be from the get-go

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Absolutely. Right off the bat, an episode like Past Prologue established the complexity and tone of the series: Kira being forced to confront her past and think about where her loyalties lie. DS9 had a few writing missteps but for the most part, it was an extremely well-written and well-acted series, unlike (generally speaking) Voyager.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just posted about this in the cursed Picard thread but even the goofy whimsical episodes at least were more confident in the setting and characters. By the first half of the first season we knew the characters pretty well, and they were all colorful and unique individuals. Voyager's whole crew was just bland as gently caress. The better (or at least more fun) characterizations like Janeway going full-psycho later on, The Doctor developing better, Seven showing up aren't there, and the stuff that made characters worse (Garrett's tensions, Beltran not giving a gently caress) don't really matter - Kim and Chakotay are already bland as oatmeal from the get-go.

For the most part, DS9 knew exactly what it wanted its characters to be from the get-go

I'm about halfway through (just finished If Wishes Were Horses, actually) and the only things so far that have stood out to me as bad were some of Rom's early characterizations that are at odds with where they eventually took the character, and Alexander Siddig's terrible acting during the episode where he gets possessed by an alien criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DrNutt posted:

Stubborn moon farmer forces Kira to destroy his pizza oven is one of the best S1 episodes.(also introduces the Noh-Jay consortium and self sealing stem bolts)

Also it's tremendously stupid but I love "Old man yells at cloud" episode, it is just my kind of stupid.

DrNutt posted:

I'm about halfway through (just finished If Wishes Were Horses, actually) and the only things so far that have stood out to me as bad were some of Rom's early characterizations that are at odds with where they eventually took the character, and Alexander Siddig's terrible acting during the episode where he gets possessed by an alien criminal.

The important thing you have to remember about this episode is they ADR'd all his lines because his original performance was actually even worse

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 2, 2020