Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Stupid question but where the hell do you get a companion? It seems like every city just has merchants and gang leaders who I obviously can't recruit. I've only run into one person who wanted to join me, and the first thing he told me was that he was basically a sadist so I turned him down to avoid drama down the line. But when I did that I assumed it would be easy to find another one to hire. I'm stuck unable to rebuild my clan because I can't find a companion.

Check the tavern in every town. You have to click the Go To Tavern button, they won't just show up on the initial top bar of faces until you do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Stupid question but where the hell do you get a companion? It seems like every city just has merchants and gang leaders who I obviously can't recruit. I've only run into one person who wanted to join me, and the first thing he told me was that he was basically a sadist so I turned him down to avoid drama down the line. But when I did that I assumed it would be easy to find another one to hire. I'm stuck unable to rebuild my clan because I can't find a companion.

They are the “wanderers” you can find in taverns. You can see the list of those in your world if you press “N” for the glossary and go to the Heroes tab. (Why there is no way to access that help without digging inside the keyboards shortcut I really don’t know. It’s so useful)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Also can anyone confirm if the list gets repopulated if you enable death for them and they die?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Check the tavern in every town. You have to click the Go To Tavern button, they won't just show up on the initial top bar of faces until you do that

But they do show up on the top bar once you're in the tavern menu, so you don't actually have to go to the tavern to see if they're there!

you do end up in the tavern if you talk to them, though

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Some tips here. I didn't know some of these, like double tapping for horse gas/brakes, and coloured pricing to compare to average prices.
Starting archers in front of infantry is also something retrospectively obvious but that I somehow never thought of. I was always scanning for elevation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JTPxDYo9w8

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Considering if a no horse run is valid

It's called Mount & Blade, not Blade :colbert:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Now that I think about it, there should really be a tutorial or at least a training ground for maneuvers.
Does anyone know what to do for cavalry formations? Which orders, if any, override a formation? I'd guess charge, and maybe follow?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

BMan posted:

It's called Mount & Blade, not Blade :colbert:

Yeah but you have to admit that slaying vampires while evading taxes in Calradia would be badass though.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Any word on when the workshop is going to open up? This game badly needs a +50% to all exp gain, and/or let me gain exp in tournaments.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Popoto posted:

They are the “wanderers” you can find in taverns. You can see the list of those in your world if you press “N” for the glossary and go to the Heroes tab. (Why there is no way to access that help without digging inside the keyboards shortcut I really don’t know. It’s so useful)

Awesome, thanks. I had looked in some of the taverns but didn't see any wanderers, just imperial citizens or whatever the generic name is. For whatever reason, holding the Alt key in a tavern doesn't show names for me like some others have said; it just highlights the chairs? :iiam:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Any word on when the workshop is going to open up? This game badly needs a +50% to all exp gain

Honestly it's more like +500%, without exaggeration.

Fortunately there's like half a dozen mods for that already because otherwise lol at ever seeing a skill hit triple digits.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mordecai posted:

Some tips here. I didn't know some of these, like double tapping for horse gas/brakes, and coloured pricing to compare to average prices.
Starting archers in front of infantry is also something retrospectively obvious but that I somehow never thought of. I was always scanning for elevation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JTPxDYo9w8

Incredible, I was so annoyed they took out ctrl-H rearing, turns out they didn't.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im level 10, have a party of 100 troops, six trade caravans and a castle fully garrisoned and 400k gold and my riding is still too low to use any of the fancier horses and my one handed is like 27 because good luck getting more than a couple of swings in every fight

so yeah tournaments/practices giving exp and exp being like, 10x faster would be nice

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Did they not fix the banner quest? I have 2 pieces and it didnt give me a 3rd after clearing the hideout.

I went back to the dude who's piece I need but he just asked me if I was finished yet

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

My Spirit Otter posted:

Did they not fix the banner quest? I have 2 pieces and it didnt give me a 3rd after clearing the hideout.

I went back to the dude who's piece I need but he just asked me if I was finished yet

You need to go to the other person too and lie to them about your motivations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any reason to buy one workshop over another or do they all pay out the same amount? The game really doesn't give you a lot of info about things.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any reason to buy one workshop over another or do they all pay out the same amount? The game really doesn't give you a lot of info about things.

How do you buy a workshop? I've only found options to invest in caravans.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mostly they kick it in taverns in the major cities. Step into the taverns and hold alt and look for the name brand npcs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

NeurosisHead posted:

How do you buy a workshop? I've only found options to invest in caravans.

You have to physically go to the workshop and talk to a worker there. The workshop shows up when you press alt in a city, but the worker doesnt.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

PC Gamer has a nice list of mods. They also tried a mod that lets you shout things into your mic and convert them into commands which is cool.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord-mods/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Motherfucker posted:

Mostly they kick it in taverns in the major cities. Step into the taverns and hold alt and look for the name brand npcs.

When you click the tavern district option, the NPC list becomes the list of companions in the tavern, and you can talk to them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I keep losing the coloured numbers comparing my armour to stuff I picked up/have in my inventory. Is this a known bug or did I hit a keyboard shortcut I didn't know to disable it? I can read the numbers and compare myself but :effort:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
while I'm at it what button is it to couch a spear?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Motherfucker posted:

while I'm at it what button is it to couch a spear?

x

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If I'm a mercenary for a kingdom and suddenly theyre at peace with everyone, is there any downside to loving off and joining another kingdom as a mercenary? Because otherwise theres nothing to do but go slowly bankrupt as you pay off your army and maybe chase down 11 looters or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just convinced some rear end in a top hat who tried to attack me to defect and join my side instead. It actually had a little dialog tree which indicated you were trying to prey on different aspects of his personality/your own reputation and when I 'won' I gained seven levels of Charm on the spot lol (I think I succeeded mainly because I just paid him 100k to switch sides).

I'm thinking once you get the ability, setting up a second party and having them be part of your army as soon as you're possibly able is a pro strat. Much more expensive it looks like, but also the only way I've found to build leadership at a decent speed.

I wish I had even the slightest inkling of how to figure out whether a workshop in some place is going to be a good business or not.

Also, the "Train 10 guys" quest is thoroughly bugged, I tried it twice and both times had no ability to actually turn it in (I tried talking to the quest givers directly, waiting things out in one place and got the Fission Mailed when the time expired, and later in the other village I tried actually dumping the trained guys off in the party screen in case that was it, same deal, no dice).

I have to say I'm really loving this game but I'm glad of Resi 3 just finishing downloading because I think I'll come back to Bannerlady in a little bit when things are ironed out more. No complaints about buying into EA on my part, I knew what I was getting into and what's here is going to be incredible once it's up to snuff.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, I got a good 5-6 hours of fun tooling around but I'm probably gonna shelve it a bit and let some more patches hit, and also hopefully they open up workshop

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

If I'm a mercenary for a kingdom and suddenly theyre at peace with everyone, is there any downside to loving off and joining another kingdom as a mercenary? Because otherwise theres nothing to do but go slowly bankrupt as you pay off your army and maybe chase down 11 looters or something.

For some strange reason, kingdoms take a substantial rep hit if you resign merc contracts, even if you talk to the king and he says yeah sure that's fine, no biggie"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

For some strange reason, kingdoms take a substantial rep hit if you resign merc contracts, even if you talk to the king and he says yeah sure that's fine, no biggie"

hmm maybe I'll just take up trading until the khergits declare war on someone i guess

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

The workshop stuff is super obscure. I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting with them but I think the prosperity rating of the city they're in heavily influences the profit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So in Warband, there were groups of generic mercenary teams your could hire out of taverns to inject your army with some trained muscle instead of doing mass recruitment drives in villages. Is there anything like that in this? Haven’t seen any in taverns.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So in Warband, there were groups of generic mercenary teams your could hire out of taverns to inject your army with some trained muscle instead of doing mass recruitment drives in villages. Is there anything like that in this? Haven’t seen any in taverns.

yes, you've just been unlucky.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They exist. They still stand around in taverns. There's a few types I've seen, but the most frequent were Imperial Caravan Guards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're also available, like warband, from the "peasant" line, peasants are often found as prisoners in looter groups, all cultures produce the same mercs, but they're basically copies of other troops I think. The crossbow merks are basically vlandian crossbow troops with different armour.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I keep losing the coloured numbers comparing my armour to stuff I picked up/have in my inventory. Is this a known bug or did I hit a keyboard shortcut I didn't know to disable it? I can read the numbers and compare myself but :effort:

it's a bug that unfortunately just latches onto the save for the rest of the game.

for some reason.

OwlFancier posted:

it's cuz right now you are counted as a vassal instead of a merc

so only merc up with the people you want to stick with. or don't it's just -20 with a bunch of lords that doesn't actually do anything right now either

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Does anyone use the Nexus vortex mod manager?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So having not really played much of the previous games, what can I do to increase my favor enough with a faction to grant me land, or castles? It seems like doing quests for people isn't a reliable way to do it.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Considering if a no horse run is valid

No horse runs were certainly doable in Warband. I ran a very successful campaign of just pikes and crossbows. They're also superior in sieges to massed cavalry.

As of now ranged AI seems iffy and siege defense seem to be broken. So... Maybe not quite ready for bannerlord.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You need to go to the other person too and lie to them about your motivations.

No, I mean I still only have two pieces of the banner and cant get a third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So having not really played much of the previous games, what can I do to increase my favor enough with a faction to grant me land, or castles? It seems like doing quests for people isn't a reliable way to do it.

Find a faction leader and offer your services to be hired as a mercenary, kick enough rear end and you can ask to be elevated to a noble, at which point you become eligible for fiefs, though iirc kingdom policies determine how exactly they’re handed out