Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

punished milkman posted:

I'm stuck in a rut where I can't stop playing it (like hundreds of hours). Considering dropping it for awhile and seeing if OSFE can prod the same part of my brain. I'm also hoping Klei's Griftlands can hold a candle to StS

Have you tried Dream Quest and/or Nowhere Prophet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
I have not, haven't even heard of them. I'll check them out

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Oh hey Rogue Legacy 2 is in development

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames/status/1245811726546808834

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for it to be available.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Impermanent posted:

good point good point

How can you play crawl like that? The waffle-walls would absolutely drive me nuts

Once you go solid-wall on console DCSS, you never go back

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BexGu posted:

Oh hey Rogue Legacy 2 is in development

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames/status/1245811726546808834

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for it to be available.

Man a Rogue Legacy sequel will have to tighten up so much poo poo to catch up to how far the genre has come since the first game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah, it would have to actually be a good game instead of a really bad game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Pacra posted:

How can you play crawl like that? The waffle-walls would absolutely drive me nuts

Once you go solid-wall on console DCSS, you never go back

wow, i didn't know you could change those - I think I will edit them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Impermanent posted:

wow, i didn't know you could change those - I think I will edit them.

my favorite type of wall was via iterm2, in monaco font, using in crawlrc:

code:
include = old_unicode_glyphs.txt
You can also try replacing that txt with dec_glyphs.txt or ibm_glyphs.txt for that old timey IBM feeling.

If I played crawl still, I would have replaced my rcfile's character set not with the above include, but with one of the devs' (abering's) custom glyph sets, which is super cool (I like the amount of thought put into the altar glyphs) http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~ebering/crawl/glyphs.txt

Just anything is better than the waffle walls, I still don't understand why they stick with that as default :(

Pacra fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 3, 2020

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If you're not playing crawl with the acidrobin or discorobin config, you're not playing crawl at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Had a really good run in Eden, got to the neutral route last boss and just ate poo poo at 3k left. It's really disheartening to go from full to half hp in the blink of an eye.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

punished milkman posted:

I'm also hoping Klei's Griftlands can hold a candle to StS

It's already a cool game, although I still feel like StS is superior I've been playing Griftlands a lot during the confinement after ignoring it for a while. Still trying to win with the second character!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Snooze Cruise posted:

hey, let's be fair, Rogue Legacy is an ok platformer.

it is also, however, not a roguelike

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

punished milkman posted:

I'm also hoping Klei's Griftlands can hold a candle to StS

The card battles themselves are just as good as StS, but the metagame has much more stuff going on, so the overall experience is considerably less tight, I think. At least at this point I'm more often inclined to fire up StS for another round then starting up Griftlands. Once you do get started, it's incredibly moreish though

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

hey, let's be fair, Rogue Legacy is an ok platformer.

it is also, however, not a roguelike

it's a roguelitelike

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I'll definitely give the second Rogue Legacy a chance. The first game was flawed as heck, but still managed to be a lot of fun. While the progression system largely misses the spirit of roguelites, it was still fun trying to see how few runs you could beat the game in, which kinda captures a similar feeling.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
New Roguelike Hidden Fear

https://booooring.itch.io/hidden-fear

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

There doesn't seem to be a one step from eden thread so here seems like a good place to post some initial impressions.

I'm going to be corny and make a sts comparison but I feel it's very appropriate here. Deck building in sts and eden is similar in that you remove cards you don't need and you add cards that interact positively with relics or each other and solve the problems you are facing. I make that comparison because my sts experience informed my first few playthroughs and that turned out to be a big mistake because eden is actually more similar to starcraft. You can't win with just micro - you need macro.

Eden requires you to pay lots of attention to enemy patterns. While bosses and most encounters have a clear tempo of dodge/attack, it's still mentally taxing to have to do cute things like play cards in certain orders or aim X tiles away or whatever and oftentimes you spend precious time doing nothing in order to make those cute things work. Unfortunately you don't have the luxury of time in late hallway fights because there's so much poo poo on the screen and to make the poo poo disappear you also have to make the enemies disappear asap.

I've found thus far that the best way to accomplish this is to add a bunch of strikes+ (basically anything that goes in a straight line or hardly needs to be aimed if at all) and a few defends+ (shields up, shield beam, forte etc) to your deck and mashing q/w. That way you are consistently converting your mana into (lots of) damage and you don't have to pay much attention at all to aiming so you dodge more effectively and die less. Even if you have cards like shotgun/crossfire/thunder you play them anyway so you get through the rest of your deck. The game even encourages this because you get a mana regen bonus for making your deck thicker! I'm sure with the right relics/upgrades, thin decks can work but I get the feeling the end result of mashing q/w doesn't change.

This is not at all an indictment of the game - it fuckin pwns, I'm having a great time, and I'm nowhere close to being done with eden. I just wonder if it's even worth the considerable trouble of building flow decks or whatever silly '''archetype'''' this game allows. I guess the archetype noob trap is a legitimate similarity to spire lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rogue Legacy landed with a thud around here but it definitely found an audience somewhere.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OSFE patch 1.2, quoting the relevant part on game design philosophy and approach:

quote:

First of all I want to state my intentions as a game designer.

My biggest goal is to make the game as fun and interesting for players as possible. That is what I personally want. I'm not trying to make a hard or easy game. I'm trying to make a game that challenges players and allows them to explore combos and mechanics and have fun with them.

Please know I have the best intentions in mind even if I may make design mistakes here and there. If I make a bad change, I'm willing to admit it and find another solution.

Sometimes it should be hard to help push you towards improving but this has to be done very carefully. Sometimes it should also be chaotic to throw a rush of excitement and panic at a seasoned player, but this scenario is rare and should not be an every-battle occurrence like it can be now.

--Difficulty Changes--

1. The chaotic part of the game (mainly mid-late game) are pretty messy. I'm introducing a new system that calculates the current number of live enemies on the field and increases the time between their attacks dynamically. Chests and minions will also affect this amount but to a lesser degree.

This should give you more breaks during the onslaught of the later battles, reducing the need to "burst" down an enemy at the start of battle, and help keep things strategic while still retaining a "fair" level of difficulty. I highly doubt I'll get this formula exactly right on the first try so please let me know your feedback on it!

2. Easy mode is not something I want to just tack onto a game. Making everything "80%" slower is a pretty lazy design choice and not something I'm comfortable with doing. I've made changes to open up more opportunities to hit and avoid bosses between attacks.

It seems like the first world is slow enough for most players since it already has some "limitations" such as not spawning more than 2 enemies. I'm going to extend this limitation to the second world for non-ascension runs.

I've reworked the way higher tier enemies appear based on luck, leading to a smoother curve throughout runs.

I love a challenge and don't want to take that away from hardcore players. Most of the changes I'm making are not just about making the game "easier" but slower, more strategic, and easier to understand. If you're here for the difficulty, there are plenty of ascension levels I will continue to balance.

Hopefully these and the quality of life changes below help make the game more manageable.

This isn't the end for making the game more accessible. I'll keep working on it.

Full notes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/960690/announcements/detail/2111566827091247178

I really appreciate patch notes like this, and I appreciate him being open about his intents and plans for the game, while acknowledging the problems the game has and what he's going to do about them (and what he *won't* do about them).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
OSFE crashed on me 😭

If you’re on the Switch, I’d probably recommend holding off for a little while, at least until the next patch gets published.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SKULL.GIF posted:

OSFE patch 1.2, quoting the relevant part on game design philosophy and approach:

Full notes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/960690/announcements/detail/2111566827091247178

I really appreciate patch notes like this, and I appreciate him being open about his intents and plans for the game, while acknowledging the problems the game has and what he's going to do about them (and what he *won't* do about them).

That's great! Even if, like he said, the formula doesn't end up being right the first time, I appreciate the willingness to try weird, interesting stuff to solve problems like "dynamically adjust attack rate based on the number of enemies on the field" instead of, like he said, just slowing the game down 80%. I look forward to checking it out.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is great and he’s got a great view on the game being accessible and not trying to be “only” for hardcore people but also to challenge them as well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like a lot of the card changes in there too. Zenith to 0 mana will make Selicy way more fun of a character

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I got to the Gate again with Violette, and again I died. It felt like things were going fine but then the searchlight lasers overwhelmed me. I think those come from one of the adds in the fight but I couldn't figure out which one fast enough to deal with it. In general, that fight is a little annoying to tell how to hit the things that are threatening you, but I guess I'll get it in time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've beaten the gate six times and I didn't even realize it spawned turrets and stuff because I never looked at the right side of the screen. That explains why on my most op runs it would eventually just stop attacking when I had enough flames going.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Just had my third crash on Switch. It's always against later stage Violette boss battles. I had a really good Hazel run going, too.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The crash happens when the note panels that give you shield hit a structure or a hole. But yea the fix is on its way to Switch.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That makes sense. I had assumed it was related to the memory leak issue plaguing thick decks, especially the kunai-generating ring.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It's already a cool game, although I still feel like StS is superior I've been playing Griftlands a lot during the confinement after ignoring it for a while. Still trying to win with the second character!

yeah griftlands is now very solid already

even if i weren't inherently inclined to buy everything klei makes lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

megane posted:

Wow, I am staggeringly bad at OSFE. Watch as I skillfully walk into every single tile of this attack

just got it after the "let's make things slightly more manageable for you rusted ancient 30-somethings" patch and this is extremely me

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I did it, I beat the Gate. I got the Card Thrower relic early so I Focused Slashfik, then I got basically all the best Jam cards so I was a consume machine. Also took a few lucky "Consume for Max HP+5" drops.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
immediate win with selicy after the zenith buff, although i think it was more to do with how powerful fire is than zenith.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
OSTE:

Has anyone gotten the sans serif achievement here? I thought I was on the right track but I'm not sure if it glitched out or I was too slow. Spoilers for what I did, on switch if it matters.

I did a genocide run on shopkeeper, got the weapon upgrade and then did the wall boss. Serif appeared, did her 'how dare you try to bust in' speech, I fired the weapon at her then she went into her genocide ending speech, gave me the weapon again and reset. The reason I think it glitched is because during the next fight I got the 'flawless battle won' thing and got a card selection in the middle of the fight but I didn't get the achievement pop up. So real not sure if I just did it wrong or if I need to kill terrable or something but that doesn't make sense. I don't think another genocide run is going to work because she just goes immune entirely at the end I think.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stanos posted:

OSTE:

Has anyone gotten the sans serif achievement here? I thought I was on the right track but I'm not sure if it glitched out or I was too slow. Spoilers for what I did, on switch if it matters.

I did a genocide run on shopkeeper, got the weapon upgrade and then did the wall boss. Serif appeared, did her 'how dare you try to bust in' speech, I fired the weapon at her then she went into her genocide ending speech, gave me the weapon again and reset. The reason I think it glitched is because during the next fight I got the 'flawless battle won' thing and got a card selection in the middle of the fight but I didn't get the achievement pop up. So real not sure if I just did it wrong or if I need to kill terrable or something but that doesn't make sense. I don't think another genocide run is going to work because she just goes immune entirely at the end I think.

If you get the wall, you didn't genocide hard enough. The actual genocide run involves killing everyone including shopkeeper. If you did it right, then instead of the wall you progress through an Eden zone with Serif as the end boss. No wall boss.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yes from more research it appears I just did it wrong. I'm just gonna try again because now I understand my issue and maybe I'll get it this loop. Thanks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stanos posted:

OSTE:

maybe you spared someone by accident, maybe there was a glitch. I unlocked sans serif using shopkeeper myself.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

When fighting Tier 4 Violette, what's the answer for when she starts doing full columns of lasers repeatedly? Do you just have to hit really tight timing to squeeze between two columns safely?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, pretty much.

I find it's not too terrible because it's at least synced to the music, so if you can follow along to the beat you can slip in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does this halo do anything? I got it after saving a certain number of hostages. No artifact or anything, it just appeared as the stage ended.