Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Have we considered the idea that Satin is MeltzerSaysWhat/VCR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For those who don't keep up with F4W stuff, the point made in the video is that the virus doesn't excuse the fact that Raw's ratings have been dropping for a long time now. Ryan's gotta keep the boss happy though.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

He works for a chud company so it's not a stretch

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

njsykora posted:

For those who don't keep up with F4W stuff, the point made in the video is that the virus doesn't excuse the fact that Raw's ratings have been dropping for a long time now. Ryan's gotta keep the boss happy though.

Yeah, I don't like Alvarez but I listened to the clip and all he's saying is "there are extenuating circumstances but people clearly aren't interested in WM and are losing people each week and when people break habits they don't always return to them when things get back to normal and that should be a concern." Which like... you'd be an idiot to argue or take offense to but he's wearing a Bullet Club shirt so...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He makes a very good point in that yes, there's extenuating circumstances, but there's always extenuating circumstances and most of the time they don't involve everybody being forced to stay home and watch TV. The fact that that's made WWE's ratings go down during their biggest time of the year is probably bad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Talk about living in a wrestling bubble! *pushes away keyboard, opens up the inner door of my bubble suit to retrieve the chicken tenders served to me by wwe*

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Why would you even book to have the new guy, who's huge and a big deal, to lose right away to begin with? That's loving booking 101 poo poo.

Some people forget that David vs. Goliath begins with Goliath beating everybody.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MJeff posted:

He makes a very good point in that yes, there's extenuating circumstances, but there's always extenuating circumstances and most of the time they don't involve everybody being forced to stay home and watch TV. The fact that that's made WWE's ratings go down during their biggest time of the year is probably bad.

Honestly, the idea that people would tune into whatever was on because they had less options was probably always a tad theoretical and kind of ignored that there's never been more options for entertainment at our fingertips which is why tv ratings are in such a tough spot in general. AEW hasn't picked up viewers either lost them this week. So if nothing else there doesn't seem to be much to the theory that people will tune in BECAUSE of these circumstances.

But the issue isn't really "why?" Alvarez's point is that regardless of why its happening, its happening, and to dismiss it all as being out of their control due to the extenuating circumstances assumes that all those people actively tuning out for whatever reason will come back later.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Some people forget that David vs. Goliath begins with Goliath beating everybody.

Also David wasn't like some champion in his own right with a history of upset wins. He was some kid who came out of nowhere with a slingshot who kinda got lucky (or helped by God) that the sun got in Goliath's eyes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 3, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely wasted too much energy defending random obnoxious Twitter lady. Like at best she's still a random obnoxious Twitter lady. Because its Twitter. So mea culpa.

Eh. I've already defended random obnoxious Twitter lady too much but like while I give AEW a general pass for not doing anything with the women during the time when they probably shouldn't be doing anything we were still only really in the "maybe they're turning it around?" phase without any real proof of concept or follow through. So its in a "wait and see" place for me but I'm sympathetic in general to "they shouldn't be adding another men's title until they get the women's division on track" criticism.

Yeah, but then how would Cody get to role-play being his dad again by making the TV title a main event draw?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
David used a foreign weapon, loving cheating vanilla midget.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but then how would Cody get to role-play being his dad again by making the TV title a main event draw?

I interpret it more as AEW finding a hook to keep justifying making/watching Dynamite during this odd limbo with matches with stake and story. Which I get but also wonder if its short term thinking that could be counter productive long term by crowding the card with more men's programs/titles. Besides my other general issues with whether they should be finding reasons to do Dynamite.

But yes, also Cody's living the dream... so to speak.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also right now I think there aren't many women on the AEW roster willing/able to travel, hence Shida having a match against someone from Cody's school this week.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I was gonna post how a lot of people in a wrestling facebook group I frequent hate and deride the Kazayuki Fujita vs.Go Shiozaki match but this takes the cake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

njsykora posted:

Also right now I think there aren't many women on the AEW roster willing/able to travel, hence Shida having a match against someone from Cody's school this week.
Yeah, I think you can wave away the current lack of women on Dynamite with travel and quarantine issues especially since their roster is relative small and not especially US based.

But the women's division has been an issue for awhile and was only starting to look like it was turning around right before all this started. So its definitely not a fixed problem yet and I can understand the concern that an extra men's title will be counter productive in the big picture.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

super macho dude posted:

I was gonna post how a lot of people in a wrestling facebook group I frequent hate and deride the Kazayuki Fujita vs.Go Shiozaki match but this takes the cake.
i obviously loved the NOAH match, but there is absolutely some threshold as to how entertaining even a seasoned wrestling fan might find it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That match obviously isn't for everyone so yeah, it's not a stupid opinion if you didn't like it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/RockTheEytys/status/1245751525227606016?s=19

Wrestling isn't worth talking about unless it makes the front page of Reddit Squared Circle might be the ultimate stupid opinion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know how we surpassed "Squash matches are v. problematic" but Ryan Satin decided to brag about being on TV for a decade and said that the TV show he worked on with Sheriff Joe was a good thing.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1245927685819260928

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What'd Satin do with Sheriff Joe?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Produce his reality show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJeff posted:

What'd Satin do with Sheriff Joe?

There was a candid camera style show where police would trick people with outstanding warrants to appear on it as contestants, then arrest them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And he's trying to spin that as a public service.

What a piece of garbage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lmao snitch rear end satin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/RockTheEytys/status/1245751525227606016?s=19

Wrestling isn't worth talking about unless it makes the front page of Reddit Squared Circle might be the ultimate stupid opinion.

Does this make PSP the Impact of wrestling discussion sites? :ohdear:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Does this make PSP the Impact of wrestling discussion sites? :ohdear:

No, we're much, much worse, we're NWA.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

No, we're much, much worse, we're NWA.

what does that make the DOI

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Just read the Ryan Satin quotes and his being murdered. He's really just the worst kind of bootlicker.

He's loving stolen the spot of desperate hanger on from Sam Roberts!

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 3, 2020

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/ValVenisEnt/status/1245725080589447168

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo gently caress Val Venis

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Val's Twitter Profile posted:

Former WWE Superstar - 2X IC Champ - Anarchist - Cannabis Connoisseur - Cryptocurrency Enthusiast - MMA Fan

:shepface:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Between Val Venis and Al Snow and several others, there's a weird cottage industry of Attitude Era midcarders who think people care about their opinions way more than they actually do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

val venis compares unfavorably to al snow who at least got paid probably 350 bucks in all to videotape himself saying dumb things

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i had an issue of i think it was RAW magazine, which was basically wwe's version of maxim in the early 2000s and they asked wrestlers who the smartest guy backstage was and unanimously they all said kane and val venis because of how political they were

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's tickling me that Val Venis and his dogshit opinions only make it to the stupid wrestling fan opinion page.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lamuella posted:

It's tickling me that Val Venis and his dogshit opinions only make it to the stupid wrestling fan opinion page.

TBF his stupid opinions are the first time in like 20 years that anyone has thought or cared about Val Venis

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Benne posted:

TBF his stupid opinions are the first time in like 20 years that anyone has thought or cared about Val Venis

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1228738456811180036

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OFFICER LIGER posted:

i had an issue of i think it was RAW magazine, which was basically wwe's version of maxim in the early 2000s and they asked wrestlers who the smartest guy backstage was and unanimously they all said kane and val venis because of how political they were

"Smart wrestler" means libertarian 90% of the time and "libertarian" means "abolish the age of consent" 100% of the time.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

... come on, this is a gimmick, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

WrasslorMonkey posted:

... come on, this is a gimmick, right?

like too many old irrelevant assholes these days he has brain worms and a keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My favorite thing about bad opinion twitter is the inevitable followup tweet to their ratio-dunking.

They all look the exact same: "Ohhhh I made the ____________ mad, did I? Awww am I the one being crucified now? Well I guess I'm just a MARTYR THEN"