Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder if it would have been cleaner to have the companion restrictions function like emblems restricting the kinds of spells that you can cast/activate. I guess it's not as cool of a declarative statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It doesn't create restrictions on sideboarding other than taking a slot: you don't reveal it as a companion g2/3 if you bring in cheap cards.

As for Aether Gust, maybe? It's worth testing I think.

You gotta consider how blatant it is to have Macrosage there. It informs the opponent you're playing Fires and cannot do anything t1 or 2 immediately.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You gotta consider how blatant it is to have Macrosage there. It informs the opponent you're playing Fires and cannot do anything t1 or 2 immediately.

Adventures don't count. But yes, there is a cost.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sampatrick posted:

that just means its a 5 mana pump spell

It's basically an equipment that says "Equipped creature is a Colossal Dreadmaw. Equip 2U/BGG"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wonder if it would have been cleaner to have the companion restrictions function like emblems restricting the kinds of spells that you can cast/activate. I guess it's not as cool of a declarative statement?

So MTGO vanguards but in paper?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

It's basically an equipment that says "Equipped creature is a Colossal Dreadmaw. Equip 2U/BGG"

should have been equip 4GG

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When your opponent thinks you can't do anything turn 2, that's when you hit 'em with the Bonecrusher Giant.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Who can translate Japanese? A bunch of new cards:
https://mtg-jp.com/reading/kochima/0033907/

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh god, that mecha godzilla

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Man these Godzilla cards are irritating as gently caress to me lol. Can't fault them for selling fancy cards to people but they're so out-of-universe I'm extremely glad they won't show up in limited at least. I mean they're one step away from an Avengers movie tie-in.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so when did arena stop giving weekly win rewards for ranked draft?

wotc loving blows me away sometimes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Katana Gomai posted:

Man these Godzilla cards are irritating as gently caress to me lol. Can't fault them for selling fancy cards to people but they're so out-of-universe I'm extremely glad they won't show up in limited at least. I mean they're one step away from an Avengers movie tie-in.

Lmao at this guy who apparently doesn't want an avengers tie-in

give me an alt art of Gideon as Captain America any day

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katana Gomai posted:

I told a Hasbro exec about this post, here was his reply:

"Money money money, money profit money money profit $$$ money. Money? Money, cash, profit, buncha stupid rubes hahaha profit."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

They bother me because they barely represent the Toho monsters. Just a last minute art and name slap.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jabor posted:

Lmao at this guy who apparently doesn't want an avengers tie-in

give me an alt art of Gideon as Captain America any day

WotS is already Infinity War with wizards more than one wizard.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Are the kaiju cards special promo boxes only?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Perfect Lifeform, Destoroyah
Phoenix Creature
Mutate 3R
Flying

When ~ mutates, create a red artifact "Wing" token with the ability "1, Sacrifice Wing: target a phoenix creature card in your graveyard and return it to the battlefield tapped"

Give me a moment and I'll try to get the rest.

e;

Mysterious Egg
Egg Creature

When ~ mutates, put a +1/+1 counter on it

Bat Creature
Mutate 4BB
Flying
Flash

When ~ mutates, destroy target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls

Legendary Creature - Dinosaur Turtle
Trample, Haste
1R Cycling

Whenever you cycle ~, shuffle it into your library instead of putting it into the graveyard. If you've cycled a card named ~ 4 or more times, put it onto the battlefield instead.

Legendary Creature - Cat Nightmare Beast
Mutate 4 G/W B B
Deathtouch, Lifelink
Whenever ~ mutates, target any number of creatures in your graveyard with total power 10 or less and return them to the battlefield

Crystal Giant
Creature - Giant

At the start of combat on your turn, choose at random a counter that ~ doesn't already possess out of flying, first strike, deathtouch, menace, hexproof, trample, reach vigilance, lifelink, and +1/+1, and place one of that counter on ~.

I believe that's all the new ones.

Bland fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 3, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperately want to know if that Abzan Biollante is any good

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

King Kong gotta be the alt art?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mutate flash creatures are gonna be bonkers. at instant speed you can
1) change the P/T of an existing creature on the battlefield
2) add new abilities to an existing creature on the battlefield
3) trigger any "whenever this mutates" effects you have on the battlefield
4) trigger any "whenever this mutates" effects on the card you just played

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AngryBooch posted:

I don't think Toho has the rights to Kong? It's not impossible that Hasbro worked something out with Universal or Legendary though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AngryBooch posted:

Doubtful, King Kong isn't a toho property.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
All the Toho cards were in the Japanese reveal apparently as well. Just very referential to Kong.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bland posted:

I believe that's all the new ones.

Dope, thanks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bland posted:

Crystal Giant
Creature - Giant

At the start of combat on your turn, choose at random a counter that ~ doesn't already possess out of flying, first strike, deathtouch, menace, hexproof, trample, reach vigilance, lifelink, and +1/+1, and place one of that counter on ~.

uh, this seems pretty OK

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
this game was already bad as of the last couple seasons but now it's almost too bad to even play or care about following

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bland posted:

Legendary Creature - Dinosaur Turtle
Trample, Haste
1R Cycling

Whenever you cycle ~, shuffle it into your library instead of putting it into the graveyard. If you've cycled a card named ~ 4 or more times, put it onto the battlefield instead.

Remembering how many times something has been cycled is such a terrible idea.

Is this set purposely unfriendly to paper?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Well, considering noone will be playing paper for the forseeable future...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

This is a card in the set

2RW
Instant
Deal damage and gain life equal to the number of cards you have cycled this game

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Wizards is purposely unfriendly to paper now. Companions all require information your opponents can't verify.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tainen posted:

2RW
Instant
Deal damage and gain life equal to the number of cards you have cycled this game

ffs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

2RW
Instant

That's even worse. With the creature, you at least saw the cycling happen the first time and could start counting. This one just comes out of nowhere and asks players to use a number that the opponent had no idea they were even supposed to track.

Brownhat posted:

Wizards is purposely unfriendly to paper now. Companions all require information your opponents can't verify.

Yeah, it irritates me. Being designed around opponent confirmation and little memorization is what keeps the game structured and mostly clean.

Once that goes away, we have a Hearthstone on our hands.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Once that goes away, we have a Hearthstone on our hands.

That seems like Wizard's endgame here. Printing cards is cheap, not printing cards is cheaper.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TheKingofSprings posted it first but this is definitely a set that was designed for digital play first and paper second. Not saying that Wizards is going to pull the plug on paper anytime soon (or ever) but it wouldn't surprise me to see more cards that have these memory challenges in paper play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

C-Euro posted:

TheKingofSprings posted it first but this is definitely a set that was designed for digital play first and paper second. Not saying that Wizards is going to pull the plug on paper anytime soon (or ever) but it wouldn't surprise me to see more cards that have these memory challenges in paper play.

Did Amonkhet's punch cards do well enough that they were comfortable with this?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StabMasterArson posted:

Well, considering noone will be playing paper for the forseeable future...

This set would never have been designed around that fact though and would’ve been set to print months ago.

All of this hints towards major shifts in the game.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know if this card will be constructed playable, but the flavor is On Point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So crystal Godzilla is by default almost certainly a 3/3 hexproof for 3 and it only gets better.

That is...pretty drat good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TheKingofSprings posted:

So crystal Godzilla is by default almost certainly a 3/3 hexproof for 3 and it only gets better.

assuming you mean crystal giant, it's not until the start of combat, and it's choose at random, not choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kindof funny that we've already had our mandatory "goes infinite with Kitchen Finks" card for the set.