Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xander77 posted:

Good to know that Far Cry 3 remains the Far Cry with the best least Far Cry plot.

Far Cry 2 beats it in the plot department, and unlike Far Cry 3 doesn't have a segment where the main character gets raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Far Cry 2 beats it in the plot department, and unlike Far Cry 3 doesn't have a segment where the main character gets raped.
Screw the ending of Far Cry 2.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale for $20 total. I made it about 1/3 of the way through Zero before getting distracted and am now face deep in Persona 5 Royal, so that'll likely keep me going for the next few weeks.

Is it worth grabbing them to layaway and then attempt a 0 through 2 run?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

ShootaBoy posted:

The real question is how much they're gonna charge for it on steam. I'm interested, but there's no way in hell I'm dropping $60 on a multiplayer only game, especially not when I'd be coming into it years late, ie prime loving spot for high level, have played 10,000 hours ganksquads to harass endlessly.

edit: another real question is if steam people can play with non steam people. Wouldn't put it past MS to just not let them.

There’s full crossplay with XBOX/Windows Store players.

Also I don’t think “high level” exists in Sea of Thieves does it? Is there any character power growth at all? I thought it was just cosmetics and pets.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

So Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale for $20 total. I made it about 1/3 of the way through Zero before getting distracted and am now face deep in Persona 5 Royal, so that'll likely keep me going for the next few weeks.

Is it worth grabbing them to layaway and then attempt a 0 through 2 run?

I think K1 isn't quite as good as 0 overall, but $20 is a steal for those two.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're going to do that, it's better to do a 1 to 0 run, in that order, because 0 is a prequel and came long after 2. From what I'm told, Y1 and Y2 are also substantially shorter and less expansive than Y0, so it wouldn't take much longer to play through both of them combined than through just Y0 alone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're going to do that, it's better to do a 1 to 0 run, in that order, because 0 is a prequel and came long after 2. From what I'm told, Y1 and Y2 are also substantially shorter and less expansive than Y0, so it wouldn't take much longer to play through both of them combined than through just Y0 alone.

these are the Kiwami versions

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yak0 is the official start of the franchise now.

If you got distracted because you saw a shiny thing and decided to try it first, there's no real reason to hurry, K1 and 2 go on sale often enough that you'll get one by the time you go back and properly finish the game. If you stopped playing because you weren't enjoying, the following games don't really change that much, aside from K2's engine being fantastic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hwurmp posted:

these are the Kiwami versions
Yeah, but they're still just expanded remakes, so if someone's going for a series playthrough anyway, they may as well get the plot in order of publication. Just a suggestion, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Real Yakuza Fan plays the main series games in release order, starting with the original.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

A Real Yakuza Fan plays the main series games in release order, starting with the original.

gently caress that, the first one is really a pale shadow of the others and if you tell everyone to start there; they’ll all just end up bouncing off.

For PC, 0->Kiwami 1 (drop immediately if that one doesn’t click for you)->Kiwami 2 is probably best. If you play K2 first, you’ll get spoiled by the new engine and 0 will feel kind of clunky and old by comparison.

If you have a PS4, the remaster of 4 shouldn’t scare you off too bad, that’s the one I started with.

I love Yakuza games and couldn’t get more than a few hours into Kiwami 1.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak is 5 dollars at humble

five dollars!

This is a really cool game that feels a bit short but is fun all the way through

Kind of the last hurrah of traditional RTS games

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love Yakuza games and couldn’t get more than a few hours into Kiwami 1.

Big problem with it is that the most all of the side stories not new to the kiwami version are very boring.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The only good far cry game is blood dragon

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SCheeseman posted:

The only good far cry game is blood dragon
That one also has a borderline rape scene. Also, retroactive bestiality.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is Black flag worth picking up for some piratey fun? And if so, does the deluxe edition add worthwhile extras? I'm not a big fan of Asscreed, but I do like age of sail combat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Deluxe Edition adds some islands and such, if you can get it for not much more money, you might as well.

And yeah, it's definitely worth it. Black Flag is like if classic Assassin's Creed and Sid Meier's Pirates! had a baby that is like 50% each, enough to make every half feel almost like a full game's worth of content all by itself. I'm actually replaying it right now, great game even today.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Darkrenown posted:

Is Black flag worth picking up for some piratey fun? And if so, does the deluxe edition add worthwhile extras? I'm not a big fan of Asscreed, but I do like age of sail combat.
Depends, have you played Origins/Odyssey? If you have the game will feel like a hideous step back when it comes to combat.

But if you haven't then it's pretty decent. Edward Kenway is the best Assassin's Creed protagonist, because he realizes early on that he's in an Assassin's Creed game and spends 90% of the game doing his best to avoid falling into an Assassin's Creed plot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

The Deluxe Edition adds some islands and such, if you can get it for not much more money, you might as well.

And yeah, it's definitely worth it. Black Flag is like if classic Assassin's Creed and Sid Meier's Pirates! had a baby that is like 50% each, enough to make every half feel almost like a full game's worth of content all by itself. I'm actually replaying it right now, great game even today.

If they added a sandbox mode so you could play it as an updated version of Pirates! I’m pretty sure it would never leave my hard drive.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Black Flag is fun piracy, it's not particularly deep in that area though. The Deluxe edition(I'm assuming you mean Gold) is probably worth it for Freedom Cry at least if its only a couple bucks more.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Updated Pirates is exactly what I'd like, and I have not played Origins or Odyssey, so I'll probably pick it up. Thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Black Flag is fun piracy, it's not particularly deep in that area though.
Well, in all fairness, neither is Pirates! when you get right down to it.

But no, the Deluxe Edition is something separate from the Gold Edition. I assume they mean this thing here: link

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Darkrenown posted:

Updated Pirates is exactly what I'd like, and I have not played Origins or Odyssey, so I'll probably pick it up. Thanks!
You should probably buy this instead: https://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/Sea_Dogs_To_Each_His_Own__Pirate_Open_World_RPG/

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, in all fairness, neither is Pirates! when you get right down to it.

But no, the Deluxe Edition is something separate from the Gold Edition. I assume they mean this thing here: link
That version doesn't show up on the American store.:shrug: My bad.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Does anybody know, if I purchased the base AC: Odyssey game through Steam (which installs through Uplay), can I buy DLC from anywhere OTHER than Steam? Uplay store and Epic both have it half off, but uplay seems to be warning that I need to have purchased the base game through their storefront, and I don't see any info at all on how the Epic key would be delivered.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

When you buy a Uplay game on Epic, it will be linked to your Uplay/Ubisoft account before you can play it, which probably counts for the purposes of getting DLC there. It'll be properly added to your account, anyway. I was also able to activate my copy of Anno 2070 that I bought on Steam on the Uplay store and download all the included DLC, but that was a complete edition and it came bundled, so don't rely on that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You can't buy DLC for games that aren't in your Epic library through Epic.

Edit: Some looking and it looks like its a hard no because the Steam cross license is treated as a different title from a Uplay purchased game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 3, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Oh hey Risk of Rain 2 free weekend.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I preferred AC Rogue over Black Flag.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

dudeness posted:

Oh hey Risk of Rain 2 free weekend.

:awesomelon:

Thanks for the tip

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Relin posted:

why does steam not sell wallet funds through amazon like every other retailer (i have amazon credit)

Why not just buy a Steam gift card?

https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Gift-Card-50-pc/dp/B00HJBPZK8

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Those are physical and also priced above face value.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's another solution besides moving games back and forth between an HD and an SSD. There's a program called PrimoCache that lets you set aside part of an SSD as a level-2 cache for a hard drive. Your games are still technically stored on the hard drive but if you've played them recently the most-accessed files get transparently cached on the SSD.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of storage space, has anyone tried that tool that compresses gamefiles but still lets you play normally? It's based on a windows 10 native tool but I forget the details.

Edit: CompactGUI is the name. Anyone used it?

Det_no fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 3, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but they're still just expanded remakes, so if someone's going for a series playthrough anyway, they may as well get the plot in order of publication. Just a suggestion, though.

Yakuza is like the one series where this isn't the best option because Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 literally had new material put in them to make them fit better with 0, as weird as that sounds to say.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you're following the order of publication then Kiwami 1 and 2 came out after 0 anyway. Its a dumb opinion altogether.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only acceptable order is 0-K1-K2-3R-4R-5R-6 sorry :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There is something to be said about the dramatic irony inherent in playing Zero in full production order, and the spectacle of the gang and city being younger in the 80s in light of that, and that is: it's not really worth recreating the experience when you have the much better of option of just going with

Taintrunner posted:

The only acceptable order is 0-K1-K2-3R-4R-5R-6 sorry :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

This looks cool as heck:

SIGNALIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxvpJ1g54sY

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262350/SIGNALIS/

quote:

SIGNALIS is a classic survival horror experience with a unique aesthetic, full of melancholic mystery. Investigate a dark secret, solve puzzles, fight off nightmarish creatures and navigate dystopian, surreal retrotech worlds as Elster, a technician Replika searching for her lost dreams.