Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

shouldn't even be allowed to post if your reg date is less than 10 years ago

e: gently caress is that a bad snipe,

content:
wfh setup tickets have finally slowed down, now managers are starting to expect 'work as normal' but I still have a 4 year old office mate so that is never going to happen

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

content:
wfh setup tickets have finally slowed down, now managers are starting to expect 'work as normal' but I still have a 4 year old office mate so that is never going to happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1EzkRpelY over and over and over.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Listen some of us later-regdate posters have things to contribute :mad: don't be so....wait

wait....

holy poo poo

gently caress that's a long time

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Listen some of us later-regdate posters have things to contribute :mad: don't be so....wait

wait....

holy poo poo

gently caress that's a long time

What? Sever - oh wait, where am I?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when the gently caress did my son grow a beard

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

when the gently caress did my son grow a beard

He filled his pockets with barbershop hair when you weren't looking, and finally figured out how to get the elmers glue to stick to his face good. Look how proud he is!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
A ticket came in.

Under normal circumstances, we have a program where you can request EOL'd computers be donated to a non-profit. This is cool and good and I support it. There's an intake form online, so it's pretty easy.

However, poo poo is not normal. We're in full scramble mode with regards to all things hardware.

And someone wants us to send 2-10 laptops to a mental health non-profit in SoCal.

He sent a ticket because the intake page told him no donations are being made, indefinitely, due to a lack of resources. He even posted a screen shot of the notice in the ticket to acknowledge how he was loving up! He's also been blathering on internal message boards and to our provisioning chat room that he really, really needs us to make this donation, you guys.

Eat a bee.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why limit it to one, when a whole swarm might do wonders?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Fool posted:

content:

But nobody may even be alive in September. :smith:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

This morning has been full of WFH users stealing each others VOIP extensions.

There was a list, alas everyone is illiterate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/02/boeing_787_power_cycle_51_days_stale_data/
Boeing 787s have a millisecond clock in a 32 bit register that overflows, so you have to restart your loving jet every 50 days or it breaks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god I solved that exact issue on our storage servers like two years ago

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kurieg posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/02/boeing_787_power_cycle_51_days_stale_data/
Boeing 787s have a millisecond clock in a 32 bit register that overflows, so you have to restart your loving jet every 50 days or it breaks.
Here's the best part, it doesn't break in an obvious way, but the component that filters out stale data stops working. As with pretty much everything in a commercial airliner, this one failure alone doesn't really cause a problem on its own, but once this has occurred it leaves the system silently vulnerable to a number of sensor failures going undetected that could definitely cause problems.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

wolrah posted:

Here's the best part, it doesn't break in an obvious way, but the component that filters out stale data stops working. As with pretty much everything in a commercial airliner, this one failure alone doesn't really cause a problem on its own, but once this has occurred it leaves the system silently vulnerable to a number of sensor failures going undetected that could definitely cause problems.

The only potential upside is that they were being forced to reboot the 787s already because the generators stop for the same reason.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh how a simple wrong vlan command can bring down a datacenter and kill everyone's VPN. :allears:

It wasn't me, but there should be a buddy system for core network changes. I've been doing it all my life but I still get anxious after pressing Enter.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in last Friday, right before a long weekend, asking for a new shared inbox to be made.

New shared inboxes have to be approved by my boss, and then by his boss.

The user hit me up yesterday asking when it would be done, so I told them it was pending approval by management peeps. They said they'd check with me every day for updates, despite my promise to let them know when I had anything new to tell them.

I was planning to give them a week to hassle me every day about a ticket whose completion is currently out of my hands. They asked me to forward the check-in to my supervisor five minutes after I told them the ticket status was unchanged from yesterday.

Being a squeaky, whiny wheel doesn't make me work faster or move your poo poo to the head of the line.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Kurieg posted:

For me, the crazy part is that you posted this and my immediate thought was 'again??'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

less than three posted:

Oh how a simple wrong vlan command can bring down a datacenter and kill everyone's VPN. :allears:

It wasn't me, but there should be a buddy system for core network changes. I've been doing it all my life but I still get anxious after pressing Enter.

Commit confirm 4 lyfe

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

Juniper has a lot of faults, but goddamn if their commit confirm system isn't amazing.
Do the change, commit confirm 2. If you cut your connection or gently caress things up, in 2 minutes its back. Saved me a few trips.
Now if only their SRXs were garbage.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thomamelas posted:

The only potential upside is that they were being forced to reboot the 787s already because the generators stop for the same reason.
Yeah, though that one was something like 250 days or whatever where IIRC the general reaction at the time was "most planes are rebooted before then anyways so no big deal, we'll just make sure shutting down the electronics and rebooting becomes part of a 6 month check".

This one's a lot shorter of a timeframe where I've seen discussion indicating that while it still isn't the biggest deal in the world to reboot every now and then, this bug was probably getting triggered in the real world from time to time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

One of our users opened a ticket with our outsourced helpdesk asking for Zoom to be set up. It was escalated to my team. We use RingCentral phones and thereforre have RingCentral meetings installed, including the Outlook plugin.

:sigh:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

kensei posted:

One of our users opened a ticket with our outsourced helpdesk asking for Zoom to be set up. It was escalated to my team. We use RingCentral phones and thereforre have RingCentral meetings installed, including the Outlook plugin.

We use Webex but the amount of tickets we get for Zoom, SFB etc doesn't even phase me any more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I was embedded with client SOC last year the sheer volume of "plz install <chat thing>" tickets escalated to us was ridiculous. IIRC they used Teams internally and WebEx for external communications and company policy was "no, gently caress off" but the helpdesk would just escalate poo poo to us anyway so we could paste in "no, gently caress off" and send the ticket back down at least three times a day. Same deal for random filesharing sites like Box. Constant refusal to rely on established policy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kensei posted:

I'm having a particularly rotten day, and also struggling to get my loving AppleTV gen3 to update so I can watch loving TV and not let these edibles go to waste, but that made me pull my hood down over my face and stage-scream into it.

I haven't checked in with our tier 1 people lately, but I'm betting they're seeing a lot of that. We have a very small bundle of Zoom licenses (even fewer than Slack license, lol), so there's no way that's going well.

We use Google Hangouts internally for the most part, but Goog's codec is shite. I have to dump my settings down to 360p for send and receive or it destroys my GPU, and I'm not alone in that. I also had to install the Skype thicc client today (Sccype?) so I can do therapy, because we tried with the web client last week and it refused to pick up my mic, so I ended up calling my therapist on the phone while also on Skype's video. And since my headset Bluetooth crapped out and I sit next to an HVAC intake, I was holding the phone to my ear the whole time :v: COVID take me already.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm having a particularly rotten day, and also struggling to get my loving AppleTV gen3 to update so I can watch loving TV and not let these edibles go to waste, but that made me pull my hood down over my face and stage-scream into it.

I haven't checked in with our tier 1 people lately, but I'm betting they're seeing a lot of that. We have a very small bundle of Zoom licenses (even fewer than Slack license, lol), so there's no way that's going well.

We use Google Hangouts internally for the most part, but Goog's codec is shite. I have to dump my settings down to 360p for send and receive or it destroys my GPU, and I'm not alone in that. I also had to install the Skype thicc client today (Sccype?) so I can do therapy, because we tried with the web client last week and it refused to pick up my mic, so I ended up calling my therapist on the phone while also on Skype's video. And since my headset Bluetooth crapped out and I sit next to an HVAC intake, I was holding the phone to my ear the whole time :v: COVID take me already.

Duuuude don't give in. I know there is no MMA coming anytime soon but as soon as this poo poo is over we are going to hang out.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kensei posted:

Duuuude don't give in. I know there is no MMA coming anytime soon but as soon as this poo poo is over we are going to hang out.

I like you, Kensei. I'm not in despair or anything, just crabby and dealing with a terminal cat. I'll live (I'm too angry to die this young).

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Kurieg posted:

I can't believe boeings run on win98se

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Merijn posted:

I can't believe boeings run on win98se

i can

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It sounds more like Windows 98 first edition to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kensei posted:

Doesn't Ring Central use a version of Zoom, just branded for Ring Central?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Doesn't Ring Central use a version of Zoom, just branded for Ring Central?

Yes

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

It sounds more like Windows 98 first edition to me.

It's a fork of a fork of a fork of the original windows 95 codebase. They just got it how they like it, browser toolbars and all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

less than three posted:

We use Webex but the amount of tickets we get for Zoom, SFB etc doesn't even phase me any more.

We have all of those, and Teams, and NEC meeting center, and Teamviewer, and some other poo poo, 75% of which was deployed thoughtlessly in the span of hours about a week ago, by me, with much protesting, and now the people who told me to just nut up and do it are eating a fuckton of crow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah but we don't have to pay extra for another Zoom was my point.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm so glad my job is much more "this is the system we use for xyz, if you got a problem go bother *C level*"

I know nearly none of them try

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have all of those, and Teams, and NEC meeting center, and Teamviewer, and some other poo poo, 75% of which was deployed thoughtlessly in the span of hours about a week ago, by me, with much protesting, and now the people who told me to just nut up and do it are eating a fuckton of crow.

Other than a small outbreak of Teams use, we've pretty much had it under control.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I'm so glad my job is much more "this is the system we use for xyz, if you got a problem go bother *C level*"

I know nearly none of them try

The day after I said this one such C level sent out an email saying Zoom may be a risk and discourages using it unless the client really wants to. Thank gently caress.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
A user sent in a ticket that the pencil icon in Jabber when someone is typing "can be construed as offensive or funny, please look into this if to see if this just a joke or is it something that may lead to more serious IT security issue" :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less than three posted:

A user sent in a ticket that the pencil icon in Jabber when someone is typing "can be construed as offensive or funny, please look into this if to see if this just a joke or is it something that may lead to more serious IT security issue" :psyduck:

She is thirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

replace the pencil icon with :dong: