Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

You're out of your loving mind.

I'm either missing context or don't understand, so I'm going to apologize and take the word of people on that page that I am out of my loving mind

e:oh great and i sniped it hurray :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

AlternateNu posted:

A CO's duty is to the ship first, crew second.

Ngl, one thing I wish (from getting waaaaay too much irl xp chasing the golden dream of po folk getting a commission) is that the Navy could get behind some sort of mantra such as “Mission first, Sailors always”. Like legit one thing that I loved as a takeaway from Quantico was that sometimes you legit need to fight for your folks and tell anyone else to gently caress off. “Mission first, Marines always” legit gave me (as a candidate) justification to tell Majors and Captains to unfuck their bullshit evaluation metrics because I broke their brains by completing all objectives while taking no casualties.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Ngl, one thing I wish (from getting waaaaay too much irl xp chasing the golden dream of po folk getting a commission) is that the Navy could get behind some sort of mantra such as “Mission first, Sailors always”. Like legit one thing that I loved as a takeaway from Quantico was that sometimes you legit need to fight for your folks and tell anyone else to gently caress off. “Mission first, Marines always” legit gave me (as a candidate) justification to tell Majors and Captains to unfuck their bullshit evaluation metrics because I broke their brains by completing all objectives while taking no casualties.

I’d be much more impressed with a story about how you fought for an actual human being and not a fake OCS scenario.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If I'm going to ask/tell/order people to do something extremely risky or put themselves in danger, I need them to trust me absolutely, so they know I am doing it for the communal good and not myself. That means I cant be a cynic and have to be as honest as possible with my people. This includes trying to improve the work environment/culture and keeping them safe. It's pretty simple.

It's not a matter of one major heroic moment, it's all that every day poo poo you do to make peoples lives like 10% better.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 3, 2020

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Hekk posted:

I’d be much more impressed with a story about how you fought for an actual human being and not a fake OCS scenario.

Meh, taking the bait a bit... just a nibble per se.... just feelin how that trollbait tastes.... mmm.. roll it around for the texture..... mkay....

So lemme know how many embassies you fought with to get your folks’ families into the country. Lemme know how many of your peeps you got accepted into colleges that they didn’t meet the standardized test metrics for. Also lemme know how many folks you legit have been helping through unofficial channels for years. Alternatively... gently caress.... off.... you dumb.... toxic.... shitlord

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hekk posted:

:vince: :boom:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Meh, taking the bait a bit... just a nibble per se.... just feelin how that trollbait tastes.... mmm.. roll it around for the texture..... mkay....

So lemme know how many embassies you fought with to get your folks’ families into the country. Lemme know how many of your peeps you got accepted into colleges that they didn’t meet the standardized test metrics for. Also lemme know how many folks you legit have been helping through unofficial channels for years. Alternatively... gently caress.... off.... you dumb.... toxic.... shitlord

Yeah, see, thing is none of that really applies to the thing that Hekk rightly made fun of you for.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hekk is probably one of the best and kindest examples of a Gunny you could be lucky enough to have in your unit

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

I'm either missing context or don't understand, so I'm going to apologize and take the word of people on that page that I am out of my loving mind

e:oh great and i sniped it hurray :suicide:

You know quite well there are plenty of careerist assholes who would refuse to admit any problem whatsoever because to do so would endanger their next promotion or assignment. Calling it "the only choice" is way too optimistic.

Edit: :lol: wtf

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 3, 2020

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I dropped my Appendix J today requesting a retirement date. I have 20 years worth of questionable decisions and varied experiences. However, despite all of my regrets, one thing that has allowed me to look at myself in the mirror and not feel shame has been my consistent advocacy for junior Marines.

I might have hosed a bunch of things up in my life but that is one thing I always got right.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

McNally posted:

Yeah, see, thing is none of that really applies to the thing that Hekk rightly made fun of you for.

Oh yeah for sure.. dude tries to call me out for not caring about peeps and so I should bow down and lick his fuckin boots when he tries to say I don’t care about irl peeps... it’s ok i get that bruh can’t be bothered to read up on previous posts in the thread before trolling but w/e... it’s all good, just post an update to the rules when we need to lick rando boots for rando reasons mkay?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

drat, Gunny got loving OWNED.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Oh yeah for sure.. dude tries to call me out for not caring about peeps and so I should bow down and lick his fuckin boots when he tries to say I don’t care about irl peeps... it’s ok i get that bruh can’t be bothered to read up on previous posts in the thread before trolling but w/e... it’s all good, just post an update to the rules when we need to lick rando boots for rando reasons mkay?

I called you out for telling dumb OCS stories you dumb loving boot. No one gives a poo poo how impressive you mastered some watered down fake rear end scenario that let you tell some Captain how smart you are.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Were you a chief? Because this is exactly the weasly mush mouth bullshit I would expect from a chief. It goes along with you parading and prattling on about how much of a hero you were to your sailors.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat Navy thread getting spicy

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
You probably should have led with a slightly less hubristic and dickish version of this:

So lemme know how many embassies you fought with to get your folks’ families into the country. Lemme know how many of your peeps you got accepted into colleges that they didn’t meet the standardized test metrics for. Also lemme know how many folks you legit have been helping through unofficial channels for years.
Instead of how you open palm smashed the reac course in OCS.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Don't be too hard on yourself. We all tell boot rear end stories when we were in. It makes us feel better about the eternal lovely chaos of daily life chosen by our younger dumber selves.

Now that I'm out my best stories are about the times I almost ended up dead in a ditch or as an ARI but somehow didn't.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Were you a chief? Because this is exactly the weasly mush mouth bullshit I would expect from a chief. It goes along with you parading and prattling on about how much of a hero you were to your sailors.

Hekk posted:

I called you out for telling dumb OCS stories you dumb loving boot. No one gives a poo poo how impressive you mastered some watered down fake rear end scenario that let you tell some Captain how smart you are.

Lol, y’all too drat salty and apparently too drat touchy. For reals y’all bitches started off with the trolling because I was trying to make a point to say we need to loving focus on our people.... but ok w/e y’all wanna resort to pissing contests.... Literally a fuckin anecdotal example of how Navy leadership needs to reform gets spinned into yet another example of how the fuckin fragile white male ego will cause the downfall of our nation... cool story yo

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://youtu.be/-GrOjFwfhdQ

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Lol, y’all too drat salty and apparently too drat touchy. For reals y’all bitches started off with the trolling because I was trying to make a point to say we need to loving focus on our people.... but ok w/e y’all wanna resort to pissing contests.... Literally a fuckin anecdotal example of how Navy leadership needs to reform gets spinned into yet another example of how the fuckin fragile white male ego will cause the downfall of our nation... cool story yo

You might want to dial it back a bit. I prefer it if posters keep it at 6 or below and you're at about 11 here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you're actually commissioned this meltdown it is a shining example of how you're probably totally a trash "leader", but you probably won't understand why. Because you're melting down on a forum

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

No one is salty. We just made fun of you for telling a dumb story about how smart you are. Work on being more humble or telling fewer stories and you will minimize the chances of someone calling you on your bullshit.

That being said, no one here is rejecting you or saying you don’t belong here. This is a good sub forum full of people with tons of different life experiences. Hang out and get to know some people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This is what happens when no one cares for the Marine thread. You feed em once and they never leave.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Hekk posted:

No one is salty. We just made fun of you for telling a dumb story about how smart you are. Work on being more humble or telling fewer stories and you will minimize the chances of someone calling you on your bullshit.

That being said, no one here is rejecting you or saying you don’t belong here. This is a good sub forum full of people with tons of different life experiences. Hang out and get to know some people.

Yeah sure, a message about “focus on your people” and how some folks don’t focus on that is apparently controversial. It’s all good... Literally the point I was trying to make was the hosed up misalignment of priorities of various leadership training pipelines and how we need to actually return to our roots. But for reals, lemme know what the appropriate unwritten rules are before I dare to question the wisdom of our glorious leaders who have never experienced leadership roles.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Yeah sure, a message about “focus on your people” and how some folks don’t focus on that is apparently controversial. It’s all good... Literally the point I was trying to make was the hosed up misalignment of priorities of various leadership training pipelines and how we need to actually return to our roots. But for reals, lemme know what the appropriate unwritten rules are before I dare to question the wisdom of our glorious leaders who have never experienced leadership roles.

Nobody said your message was controversial. Please stop being so combative.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Not to pile on (lol pile on incoming) because the Navy thread needs as many posters as it can get but wasn't Kalessin the poster that came in and talked about how they were an officer and after they were called a noble in good intentioned ribbing they melted down?

Because it rates.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
When Mercy is in port and not taking casualties via helo, does she have an elevator or something?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Now I have been out for a couple decades and maybe things have changed... do they really let commissioned officers in my Marine Corpse use terms like legit, peeps, and w/e

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MrMojok posted:

Now I have been out for a couple decades and maybe things have changed... do they really let commissioned officers in my Marine Corpse use terms like legit, peeps, and w/e

Off duty on internet forums? Yes, officers in the United States Marine Corps are entitled to the freedoms and protections of the Constitution. They can speak however they would like, as long as their words are not demonstrably prejudicial to good order and discipline, do not violate ethics standards, regulations or the UCMJ, do not violate operations or information security, or represent their opinions as those of the USMC, the DOD, or US Government.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

McNally posted:

Nobody said your message was controversial. Please stop being so combative.

If a JO isnt blowing up on people for literally imagined slights, is he really a JO?

And just to be clear I absolutely mean jerkoff, not junior officer.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Look, we only blow up at sailors when our coffee isn't prepared properly by the plebians.

That's perfectly justifiable, right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

that depends, how do you have your coffee

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Just like my JOs: bleak, tear-stained, and raw.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Valley Stared posted:

Look, we only blow up at sailors when our coffee isn't prepared properly by the plebians.

That's perfectly justifiable, right?

On the other hand, if you, the pleb, are actually good at making the coffee, you will be rewarded by the JOs much like the cats and Pharaohs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

On the other hand, if you, the pleb, are actually good at making the coffee, you will be rewarded by the JOs much like the cats and Pharaohs.

JOs don't have poo poo to reward with, the Chief's Mess is where its at

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aren't you like the only extant senior noble

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

Aren't you like the only extant senior noble

I don't know. Maybe? I'm not sure who's still in and who's out at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Navy thread gets a bit lively and all the Navy, ex-Navy, and Navy-adjacent goons start posting up a storm