Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

christ what is this ridiculous overglossed masturbation
and yup I guess I'm on track with the nobody dies in new timeline idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

I've heard that it's optional if Avalanch survives

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Onmi posted:

Yep.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

Huh. That’s interesting.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder if this means that saves are gonna transfer over to the next games or if that's just something that won't matter in the long run, like at all

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wonder if this means that saves are gonna transfer over to the next games or if that's just something that won't matter in the long run, like at all

I expect we'll keep flags and have bonuses if we max level. but the level cap in this game is 50, which very much indicates that we'll start Game 2 around 30-40.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are the odds this bombs so hard they don't even make a Part 2?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NikkolasKing posted:

Nil.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Zero. It's going to make gangbusters sales. The real question is can Part 2 keep sales up, seeing as how they decided to make this episodic, and they still have 75% of the game to go. If they blow another 3-5 years on slogging development, nobody is going to give a poo poo. If they have brains this will be and has to be an all-hands-on-deck, year+ nonstop crunch with thousands and thousands of employees to get out in any sane timeframe.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The first class edition has been sold out pretty much everywhere for a while now so pretty much none.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't know if these spoilers are supposed to make me more interested or what but I think any interest I've had has pretty much cratered.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is all just an elaborate ploy to erase Genesis' existence

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This would all be awful to me... if the game wasn't so loving fun. Because it's really good. And it's really earnest.

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is all just an elaborate ploy to erase Genesis' existence

THEY DO MENTION THE G PROJECT THOUGH!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

THEY DO MENTION THE G PROJECT THOUGH!

gently caress

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mordiceius posted:

I don't know if these spoilers are supposed to make me more interested or what but I think any interest I've had has pretty much cratered.

The game owns. I've played about 22 hours.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The first class edition has been sold out pretty much everywhere for a while now so pretty much none.

Sales aren't everything. My poor Metal Gear Solid 2 actually sold more than MGS3 but its infamy is linked to why MGS3 didn't sell as well. So many people were chased off by the horrible word of mouth about it.

Bad reviews and fan reaction matter, too.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Y7DplcyR8

They even tease Zack at the end of the trailer and shows Sephiroth talking about "defying destiny". They're beginning to show their hand officially now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just lol if this doesn't review well

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe I’m just a sucker but I just would have liked a remake instead of “actually we are changing everything”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I’m just a sucker but I just would have liked a remake instead of “actually we are changing everything”

Seems the same enough for me. I like the extra details and stuff but I'm not going to read the alleged ending spoilers or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also I'm looking at the game as Freaky Friday or The Parent Trap. Do what you like square staff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wait...

Square... are these Separate timelines?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Wait...

Square... are these Separate timelines?

I noticed that too cause they zoomed into that way too much so I search for a picture of it that you can find early on in the game. It would explain why Zack is still alive with the Buster Sword

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

purists: NOOOOOOOOOO!!! You can't artificially change the timeline on a game promised as a remake of my favorite childhood experience! You can't just say main characters don't die or just die in a different part of the game for no reason other than Nomura has self-respect for his own creative process! You are distorting the natural fate of Aeriserino noooooooooo

me: haha timeline printer go brrr

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bring on the fanfic.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

All of these spoilers look so amazingly stupid it wraps back around to great. The true FF7 experience.

I cannot wait for my digital version to unlock.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/213135175112982528/695538382876704778/15858976675141.webm

SEQUEL

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

i say swears online posted:

purists: NOOOOOOOOOO!!! You can't artificially change the timeline on a game promised as a remake of my favorite childhood experience! You can't just say main characters don't die or just die in a different part of the game for no reason other than Nomura has self-respect for his own creative process! You are distorting the natural fate of Aeriserino noooooooooo

me: haha timeline printer go brrr

I agree with your premise, but the joke needs a lot of work

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someone on Twitch is on the final boss fight.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Someone on Twitch is on the final boss fight.

As someone who was watching that stream for 3 hours, gotta say you could tell the EXACT moment someone posted that link on 4chan and the conversation quality immediately took a dive from talking about the comparative merits/flaws of each mix of the Jenova theme to OMFG NOMURA.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

As someone who was watching that stream for 3 hours, gotta say you could tell the EXACT moment someone posted that link on 4chan and the conversation quality immediately took a dive from talking about the comparative merits/flaws of each mix of the Jenova theme to OMFG NOMURA.

The fact that it makes /v/ so utterly butthurt only makes it better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gently caress it, I'm in so fare. I didn't know Sephiroth going all Vader on Cloud was the fan fiction I needed but let's do it.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why is everyone suddenly acting like this is poo poo because it's a sequel instead of a 1 to 1 remake? You haven't even played the game (most of you) and are already acting like it killed your mother. Why are so many of you such reactionary morons?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoGoGadget posted:

Why is everyone suddenly acting like this is poo poo because it's a sequel instead of a 1 to 1 remake? You haven't even played the game (most of you) and are already acting like it killed your mother. Why are so many of you such reactionary morons?

It's pretty incredible considering how much the game owns and I can't put it down lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GoGoGadget posted:

Because some people just wanted a remake of the original game.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Honestly it’s been mostly just incredulity and trepidation here? Now YouTube and reddit on the other hand, oof.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like all the crazy poo poo that was posted here, it's insanely ballsy. They could've just remade the game with action combat and episodic releases, but even then people would have complained anyway. It was never gonna be the same exact game, and going all Nomura on it makes it a lot more interesting than a 1:1 remake like a lot of people wanted imo. It might end up as just dumb bullshit at the end of it all (much like most of the compilation), but for now I'm down with Nomura's crazy FF7 ride. People are gonna talk about this poo poo for ages.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

If I never played ffvii and wanted to experience the narrative this isn’t gonna be the medium for that huh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

people were mostly split on whether they were optimistic or thought they were going to gently caress up the original story, nobody expected whatever the gently caress this is and nobody has any idea what to make of it so the new split is between confusion and kneejerk anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

If I never played ffvii and wanted to experience the narrative this isn’t gonna be the medium for that huh

guess not

good news, though, the original is still a good game