Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...huh. There’s not a thread on rpgnet about this. That’s...weird? That feels weird. I’d put it down to COVID distraction tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I literally just finished reading over Dungeon World last week, too. :smith:

I’d recommend Fellowship instead. Gnome is cool and it does a lot of stuff better, at least imo, especially with the new edition. I’m sorry about the timing, tho, that sucks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well of course not that would be a "personal attack".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He apologized, that means it didn't happen and it's okay.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 22, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

...huh. There’s not a thread on rpgnet about this. That’s...weird? That feels weird. I’d put it down to COVID distraction tho.

Somebody made one, but nothing beyond the OP.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I appreciate it, but I'm not really looking into a specific PbtA thing to work with, I just wanted something that was close enough to what I know relatively well (D&D) that I would be able to see exactly how it's different. I don't think I would have ran it as written, anyway. Bad timing, in any event.

Yeah, bad timing.

Aside from this issue: I would say that DW isn't a terribly good implementation of the PbtA framework, overall. While it's familiar, it hews more closely to D&D tropes than it does to Apocalypse World principles. AW itself is a good way to get a better idea for how the mechanics are really supposed to interact with a story.
Or, for a fantasy implementation, Inverse World is a lot more interesting just in terms of classes than base DW. The Inverse World setting's also pretty interesting.

About this issue: even with an apology, that's really gross. While I think safety tools are fantastic, DW is not a game where I'd expect them to come up much. I'd already found Koebel a bit hard to take but I'm certainly done after this.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I just don't know how a person watching a live feed of everyone else gagging at their storytelling choices doesn't immediately alter course, rather than doubling down. The entire ending to that video, with everyone seeming so subdued and in some cases hurt, was really sad to watch.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

I just don't know how a person watching a live feed of everyone else gagging at their storytelling choices doesn't immediately alter course, rather than doubling down. The entire ending to that video, with everyone seeming so subdued and in some cases hurt, was really sad to watch.

It's a grosser version of the same mindset that assumes that if people didn't laugh at your joke you need to explain it more.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

well, at least it's an apology and a promise to do better and not "due to your 'sensitivities' i must unfortunately become a nazi"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

well, at least it's an apology and a promise to do better and not "due to your 'sensitivities' i must unfortunately become a nazi"
It's true that some people respond to callouts by turning into weird alt-righters, but I don't think that lowers the bar for apologies, and—as discussed—his apology fell well short of that bar. Basically, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Elephant Parade posted:

It's true that some people respond to callouts by turning into weird alt-righters, but I don't think that lowers the bar for apologies, and—as discussed—his apology fell well short of that bar. Basically, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not sure it's been discussed how his apology fell short of the bar?
Like, it literally hasn't been discussed in this thread, at least, other than that it's an image rather than spread out over multiple tweets.

What he did was extremely gross and a real violation, and certainly makes me not want to support DW stuff, but that's not really much of an action on my part - I hadn't before. But, I'm not sure what's wrong with his apology - he seems to be saying he'll be suspending his work and trying to improve as a person, re-establishing safety guidelines, and so on. He hosed up and is going to suffer the consequences, which is correct, but I guess I'm not seeing what he could add to that apology to make it more sincere or meaningful (assuming he follows through on the promises he makes in it; we all know that can easily not happen).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sionak posted:

About this issue: even with an apology, that's really gross. While I think safety tools are fantastic, DW is not a game where I'd expect them to come up much. I'd already found Koebel a bit hard to take but I'm certainly done after this.
I think it was a Star Wars game, not DW. It was a sci-fi campaign he'd been running for a few years. Not that it changes anything, but just saying.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's the criticism of image and text link apologies?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

They're easy to doctor and don't always have timestamps attached. You'd be better off doing like a Tweetlonger thing or having a link to a post on a public-facing website like your blog. Accountability and veracity of these things legitimately matters, y'know?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently this happened last week(!!) and it was only yesterday-ish I started seeing vague references to something having happened. Then the lid came off and Allandaros (maybe others?) finally named names on Twitter for those of us who don't pay attention to streaming games to have any idea what's going on.

Which has prompted other bodies to start wringing their hands about they didn't want to name him because of being afraid of being dogpiled and/or that they can understand why no one is speaking up because oh no, Twitter followers.

Which is aggravating to say the least.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Huh. Okay. He uploaded it to a site that tracks text revisions, which is good enough for me. But I can understand people might be frustrated that he's not using Twitter the way they want him to.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, having listened to the response from the lady whose character was assaulted, I have to say, that apology is not only inadequate, it is actively misleading. This isn’t a safety tool situation here - this is Adam Koebel actively going against his player’s stated wishes, goals and desires for..,no reason I can understand, in the worst and most horrific manner possible. Safety tools can’t stop that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

taichara posted:

Apparently this happened last week(!!) and it was only yesterday-ish I started seeing vague references to something having happened. Then the lid came off and Allandaros (maybe others?) finally named names on Twitter for those of us who don't pay attention to streaming games to have any idea what's going on.

Certainly I know Havana, the female streamer wearing the blonde wig in the video, was extremely triggered by it and is not eager to talk about it. She already has a lot of issues with anxiety and has already spent the last however long trying to work through the feelings it brought up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

So, having listened to the response from the lady whose character was assaulted, I have to say, that apology is not only inadequate, it is actively misleading. This isn’t a safety tool situation here - this is Adam Koebel actively going against his player’s stated wishes, goals and desires for..,no reason I can understand, in the worst and most horrific manner possible. Safety tools can’t stop that.

yea I don't get why people are talking about 'good apology', it's not an apology at all because it's like me punching someone in the face and going 'I regret not taking personal safety into account', safety wasn't the issue, the issue was that he out of nowhere forced this really lovely thing on a person despite them clearly not liking it at all! I don't really care that he's 'stepping back' or whatever, he clearly seems to either genuinely not understand what he did or he just doesn't give a poo poo, either way he should be getting kicked out of the group not just taking a break.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
tbh I actually do get why, Adam very cynically was weaponizing good language and all to do the stereotypical 'fake feminist dude gets called out for being a creep' move of cramming as many good terms as he can into his apology without actually acknowledging the lovely thing he did or the woman he victimized. Safety tools are great! Tables really should have those! Hey don't worry about me not actually saying what I did or anything it was just a safety issue, whomst among us am I right guys?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He apologised for hypocrisy. That's all he apologised for. He did not say 'I'm sorry for causing pain to my friends' in so many words because he isn't actually sorry, is how it reads to me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mors Rattus posted:

Woof.

Exceptionally not okay.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't think I can add much as far as disgust or analysis, other than to say I was pretty underwhelmed by Dungeon World to begin with and PbtA has way better fantasy hacks to play anyways.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yup, ok, gently caress that guy and doubly gently caress him for downplaying what he did.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The point has been raised elsewhere that if this was anyone other than One Of The Guys Who Did Dungeon World And Is Also A Prolific Community Voice that there wouldn't even be any debates about how sufficient or not their apology was, they would have already been cancelled into the sun. I guess with enough clout you can get away with something like playing out some in-game rape as a joke on camera while your players all collectively shrink back in their seats and some people (and to be clear this is aimed more at places like twitter than anyone in this thread) will continue to go to bat for you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man, that video apology on the RollPlay channel was extremely not an apology, holy poo poo.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I've been having a lot of really bad anxiety/feelings about this whole situation and like

Full disclosure: I have beef with Olivia Hill and usually think bad things about her when I think about her at all.

But I used to look up to her before that, and I know she's good at saying things that are good for survivors, or at least cathartic in their viciousness.

So I went to see what she said about this in hopes that it would be Just Like Old Times.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1245766223800881153

Instead she validated all the bad thoughts by making it about her and her opinions and her game she wrote (buy it with money!!)

Friends, I would like to say I have it in me to be caustic and sarcastic about this, but I don't. I'd like to say this gives me the energy to do a victory lap, but it doesn't do that either. It just makes me very sad. Whatever happened between the Good Times and the Bad Times seems to be there to stay.

EDIT: Not removing this because the genie's already out of the bottle but this was an emotionally charged rant rather than a logical/accurate thing to say and I am The Big Idiot for having said it in the first place. Disregard.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 3, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I've been having a lot of really bad anxiety/feelings about this whole situation and like

Full disclosure: I have beef with Olivia Hill and usually think bad things about her when I think about her at all.

But I used to look up to her before that, and I know she's good at saying things that are good for survivors, or at least cathartic in their viciousness.

So I went to see what she said about this in hopes that it would be Just Like Old Times.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1245766223800881153

Instead she validated all the bad thoughts by making it about her and her opinions and her game she wrote (buy it with money!!)

Friends, I would like to say I have it in me to be caustic and sarcastic about this, but I don't. I'd like to say this gives me the energy to do a victory lap, but it doesn't do that either. It just makes me very sad. Whatever happened between the Good Times and the Bad Times seems to be there to stay.

Isn't that just her saying that tools are just tools and not some kind of panacea and can in fact be used badly? Pointing out that her opinion on it was already out there and in fact quoting it so you don't need to buy her book doesn't seem very much like making it all about her and selling her product? Especially not when everyone else also has their take on it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh dear. Those poor folks in the stream.

I hope that the person who did this stops and realises that "Oh dear, I have hurt people" matters so much more than "Oh dear, I have made myself unpopular". An apology needs to be coupled with action and change too.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 3, 2020

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah that Hill tweet doesn’t do any of the things it’s being accused of, it’s a direct response to the topics of discussion kicked up by Kobel’s garbage nonapology about safety mechanics and also pointing out that people have been discussing the limits of those mechanics in good faith before this poo poo occurred. I don’t necessarily agree with the entirety of that section but it is absolutely important to have this conversation about the limits of safety net mechanics and how effective they really can be in situations like this one. As someone who has experienced trauma that can cause seemingly unproblematic tabletop bits to be triggering I appreciate them immensely but the point that people like Kobel would bust past them just like he burst past the blatantly obvious discomfort of his players is absolutely a legitimate one.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Hel posted:

Isn't that just her saying that tools are just tools and not some kind of panacea and can in fact be used badly? Pointing out that her opinion on it was already out there and in fact quoting it so you don't need to buy her book doesn't seem very much like making it all about her and selling her product? Especially not when everyone else also has their take on it.

"Why use rules if people will use them badly??" isn't a very helpful maxim at this moment in time, and posting a couple of paragraphs of your book and calling it generosity is like saying Star Wars is generous because the trailers are sizzle reels (which she, admittedly, is not doing, but I still find the BUY MY BOOK! nature of it slightly hard to discount).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Posting a bit of your book for free, to show it’s something you’ve thought about and talked about before the current situation, is absolutely something only the most craven of capitalist would do to make money of tragedy.

It’s also a pretty bad faith reading to say that her argument is that we shouldn’t use these rules when the first sentence of that tweet and the pulled quote directly says the opposite?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Maltose posted:

Posting a bit of your book for free, to show it’s something you’ve thought about and talked about before the current situation, is absolutely something only the most craven of capitalist would do to make money of tragedy.

It’s also a pretty bad faith reading to say that her argument is that we shouldn’t use these rules when the first sentence of that tweet and the pulled quote directly says the opposite?

Yeah I'm gonna be real, having been called on it twice I took yet another look and it turns out I entirely dyslexia'd my way into her saying she DOESN'T believe in safety tools. I'm still kind of hosed up by the "some of the worst game experiences I've had are from safety tools" thing, but I was mostly wrong here. Ignore me, it's been an emotionally crippling 18 hours for me as I exemplified here.

EDIT: In more explicit terms: I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have done that in the first place. I'll try keep in mind for the future that engaging with people you already distrust when you're in panic mode is pretty much a one-way track to finding something you dislike.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 3, 2020

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair to Olivia, there have been times where I have had miserable experiences because I was unable to use safety mechanics (it’s hard to discuss lines and veils when even mentioning some things would reveal trauma that I don’t want to bring up with semi-strangers in the first place) and the inability to engage with them was misread as consent. It’s a legitimate problem that is perpendicular to the discussion at hand but I can certainly understand having that happen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair to Olivia, there have been times where I have had miserable experiences because I was unable to use safety mechanics (it’s hard to discuss lines and veils when even mentioning some things would reveal trauma that I don’t want to bring up with semi-strangers in the first place) and the inability to engage with them was misread as consent. It’s a legitimate problem that is perpendicular to the discussion at hand but I can certainly understand having that happen.

I guess what super gets me is that making it about the safety tools /directly/ buys into the abuser in question's narrative that it was about the safety tools, plus an added layer of "You can read about it in my book, here's a screenshot of my book that this is in (implicitly: buy my book)" that's there whether it was intended or not. I went in expecting words of support for the survivors of condemnation of Koebel or just fuckin anything, but instead it was more talk of safety tools.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's understandable to be struggling with being reminded of similar bad experiences. Sadly, the hobby is full of shitlords who get into GMing because it means they can order vulnerable people around. The DW community has just had that thrown in their face in a very public manner.

I've been holding back on commenting while coping with my rage over a similar incident in my own gaming past, and I suspect the motives in both that case and the DW stream were the same
(ha ha look at me I can upset a girl at the table and nobody can stop me, I'm the GM and I own you bitches).

That makes Adam Koebel's transgression all the more heinous, and it's why I personally would not accept an apology from him even if he had given a decent apology. Y'know, if our paths were to cross in any way, shape, or form. The only way most of us can attach any force to our anger is to refuse to support DW, and to support each other instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, like, that's definitely an issue with basically any of my issues. Is there stuff that could upset me if delved into in a game? Sure, I expect that's the case for most people and the specifics are different for every person. Do I want to share that in the middle of an FLGS? gently caress no.