Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Why was Red XIII so mean to Barrett in the trailer? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think this is cool because we get to replay most of the same stuff, but for people who didn't want the original story messed with, well...it's still there. This is a sequel. So be it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

If I never played ffvii and wanted to experience the narrative this isn’t gonna be the medium for that huh

This is the weirdest part of this, tbh. People new to FF7 are gonna be very confused.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you want to experience the ff7 narrative buy the remaster and turn on all the cheats I guess.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah the original still holds up. play that and let me enjoy Something New

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't deny that I'm a little bummed out that it isn't a straight remake even as I'm really curious what they're up to. It would've been cool to see the original story play out in an expanded form and with insanely good production values and great action gameplay, and I was getting really excited for that. That we're now officially never getting that is at least a little disappointing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

I can't deny that I'm a little bummed out that it isn't a straight remake even as I'm really curious what they're up to. It would've been cool to see the original story play out in an expanded form and with insanely good visuals and great action gameplay, and I was getting really excited for that. That we're never getting that is at least a little disappointing.

Yeah, I get that mindset where it's "I really just wanted... the story because I'd like it to be prettier and more fun" and... it is a shame that it's not exactly that.

That said I pretty much figured this was what it was, when Hollow hit.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Despite my misgivings, I am still incredibly hyped for this stupid game and this stupid series.

One thing I like is that the back and forths are relatively snappy and charming.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Despite my misgivings, I am still incredibly hyped for this stupid game and this stupid series.

One thing I like is that the back and forths are relatively snappy and charming.

In the trailer when Barret is like "C'mon, you see the piece of poo poo we're driving here?!" And Red, with no prompt, for no reason, just goes "Says the 300-pound sack of it."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sephiroth is going to end up being a good guy and he'll die protecting aerith

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

In the trailer when Barret is like "C'mon, you see the piece of poo poo we're driving here?!" And Red, with no prompt, for no reason, just goes "Says the 300-pound sack of it."

Eh, they can’t all be the winners.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wonder how this is going to go over.

People who were excited for a faithful remake are going to feel lied to, I expect. What about newcomers? I feel like they're just going to be confused because none of these twists mean anything if you haven't played the original, right?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly if they hit all the same locations and similar but different beats I feel like the people who just wanted a straight remake have enough to connect the dots.

There should also be absolutely no surprising that this decision is naturally incredible divisive and the sequel will still sell a trillion dollars.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sephiroth is going to end up being a good guy

Shall I give you dis pear?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm also curious about the people saying this won't work for people that haven't played the original game. I think the story isn't anything that's not comprehensible -- you don't need to understand the original plot (which most people don't anyway) to understand fate wants x, x happened in the past, we're going to change that! There's just certain harmless callbacks that they may miss that will be fine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

this isn't what anyone expected or wanted and I can't imagine how it possibly got greenlit

it's like they were wide open with the ball right at the net and instead of dunking it they ran back up the court into coverage to shoot a 3 pointer. if it somehow goes in it'll be incredible, and I can't say that it won't without playing the game, but it's way more likely to fail than just doing the thing everyone expected them to do, and even if they nail it a lot of people are going to be pissed off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Harrow posted:

I can't deny that I'm a little bummed out that it isn't a straight remake even as I'm really curious what they're up to. It would've been cool to see the original story play out in an expanded form and with insanely good production values and great action gameplay, and I was getting really excited for that. That we're now officially never getting that is at least a little disappointing.

"Never" is a long time, don't count out the 50th anniversary reremake!

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

this isn't what anyone expected or wanted and I can't imagine how it possibly got greenlit

it's like they were wide open with the ball right at the net and instead of dunking it they ran back up the court into coverage to shoot a 3 pointer. if it somehow goes in it'll be incredible, and I can't say that it won't without playing the game, but it's way more likely to fail than just doing the thing everyone expected them to do, and even if they nail it a lot of people are going to be pissed off.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s baffling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It'll all be worth it when Sora, Donald, and Goofy tumble out of a portal in part 2 and give Cloud a keyblade

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Looking forward to the day one patch that changes the title screen to Final Fantasy VII-2.

I've not seen such a ballsy move by a big publisher since MGS2.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really if you look at the extended universe like Crisis Core you figure out that Seph was actually a really nice guy that got hosed over by circumstances so him actually going against that would be a cool twist

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm glad it's not just the same game in HD. This means that as a fan of the original I get to still be surprised and wonder what's going to happen next. I can understand that some people wanted that, but you guys claiming no one wants this are wrong. And so far you have been completely proven wrong, as every person I've seen that has actually played it loves it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s baffling.

cock hero flux posted:

The thing is... you're wrong. People were already complaining. They complained when it wasn't turn-based, they complained seeing the Honeybee Inn wasn't what it was. They complained at the loving first reveal. People have been complaining for loving years. They've been bitching and moaning, and crying, and throwing a fit, over every minor detail. I'm hearing loving complaints, that it isn't literally just the same game engine and all, but all the models are nice and the backgrounds are cleaned up.

Because just cause you think that people would have been not pissed off with your in-head ideal FF7 Remake, doesn't mean it would actually not had a pissed off contingent.

gently caress, let's pause and take a look just over the thread at RE2 and RE3. Because I still loving hear people bitching they weren't remade like RE1 was. I still hear loving bitching that Mr. X was more prominent in 2. 3 is being bitched out for being "Too short". What world do you have to be live in where there's an option at all which doesn't lead to pissed off people. I would like to inhabit it.

I'm not saying don't be shocked, I'm not saying, don't be pissed off, if that's how you feel. I'm saying don't be deluded.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It would be cool in a horror way if he can surface screaming out of his own flesh to beg for Cloud’s help in stopping the Great Old One version of The Thing currently puppeting his corpse around

More likely the appeals are Jenova trying to change time by tricking Cloud with a more personal angle.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why was Red XIII so mean to Barrett in the trailer? :(

Res XIII was always snarky at first, especially to Barret.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

Res XIII was always snarky at first, especially to Barret.

Remember, he's also a teenager. He just tries to act more mature.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

This actually sounds way better than what I was expecting so lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is the weirdest part of this, tbh. People new to FF7 are gonna be very confused.

yeah this sucks

I had a PS1 as a kid, I remember games from that era, and have even attempted to play some recently, and it's very difficult. like PS2 era poo poo holds up a lot better, the FFX / X-2 HD remake was great and very playable, but that just isn't the case for me and PS1 stuff

I guess I could try the PC version but I was really looking forward to finally playing FFVII but with modern graphics

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Frog Act posted:

I guess I could try the PC version but I was really looking forward to finally playing FFVII but with modern graphics

So you've played Remake and you don't enjoy it?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

The thing is... you're wrong. People were already complaining. They complained when it wasn't turn-based, they complained seeing the Honeybee Inn wasn't what it was. They complained at the loving first reveal. People have been complaining for loving years. They've been bitching and moaning, and crying, and throwing a fit, over every minor detail. I'm hearing loving complaints, that it isn't literally just the same game engine and all, but all the models are nice and the backgrounds are cleaned up.

Because just cause you think that people would have been not pissed off with your in-head ideal FF7 Remake, doesn't mean it would actually not had a pissed off contingent.

gently caress, let's pause and take a look just over the thread at RE2 and RE3. Because I still loving hear people bitching they weren't remade like RE1 was. I still hear loving bitching that Mr. X was more prominent in 2. 3 is being bitched out for being "Too short". What world do you have to be live in where there's an option at all which doesn't lead to pissed off people. I would like to inhabit it.

I'm not saying don't be shocked, I'm not saying, don't be pissed off, if that's how you feel. I'm saying don't be deluded.

I just think this going to get a reaction from way more people than the usual FF7 purists who were furious that Barrett wears shades now. I never played the original RE games so I can’t comment on the differences between them and the remakes, but this is a pretty radical departure from what was marketed. Sure, Square reframed it as a reimagining very clearly a year ago, but people who don’t follow development (the vast majority who will buy this game) won’t know that. Ffs the game is titled FF7 remake, someone who walks into a store and buys the game based on the box will have certain expectations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
they Chrono Crossed the FF7 story. Its a major clusterfuck and some people will like it and some will hate it. Its okay to have your own opinions and to be able to discuss it without feeling the need to change someone else's mind.

I, for one, dont understand why anybody had confidence in SE to tell a coherent story after the mess that is KH, FFXIII and FFXV.

Its fun though.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

FWIW I think this threads response has been pretty healthy as opposed to the people trying to review bomb the game before it’s even out globally.

TommyGun85 posted:

they Chrono Crossed the FF7 story. Its a major clusterfuck and some people will like it and some will hate it. Its okay to have your own opinions and to be able to discuss it without feeling the need to change someone else's mind.

I, for one, dont understand why anybody had confidence in SE to tell a coherent story after the mess that is KH, FFXIII and FFXV.

Its fun though.

FFXIV was able to tell a coherent, maybe even really good, story from heavens ward onward.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing shall forestall my return...

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

oh, people were absolutely going to bitch about it anyway, no doubt. People bitch about everything, all the time, and especially things like this. But it's going to be orders of magnitude stronger now. Even if they totally nailed it, there are going to be people who are absolutely furious about it, just conceptually. This is not at all the same thing as people nitpicking continuously about how Aeristh's characterization isn't quite how they remembered it, or about Barret wearing sunglasses, or about Sephiroth showing up too early. This is people getting a completely different game than they expected to get. Even if it's really good, they're still gonna be mad. And if it's bad, holy poo poo, they're gonna be furious.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I think I get where they’re coming from. SE wants these to feel like full-fledged FF games, rather than simply chunks. And at the same time, I could see them wanting fans of the OG to relive that excitement of not knowing where this is going, or what’s going to happen next - with the newbies still getting something that’s very close to the original experience.

I do think though that events will play out mostly the same though. The big hint comes with the flash of Red 500 years in the future, and him reacting to that with “perhaps that’s the future where we failed”. Nope, that’s the future where you won.

Calling it now, Seph is doing time fuckery, and the whispers will turn out to be the forces good in the end that defend the planet once again.

E: also, from the whisper battle at the end, at least from the data leak, each one of the three had a different weapon...one with a sword, one with a gun, and one with physical attacks. :tinfoil:

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 3, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

This actually sounds way better than what I was expecting so lol

if they do it really well it's going to be a much, much more interesting thing than just doing FF7's story again. But that's the thing: just doing FF7's story again didn't have a lot of risk. It already exists and it's already established as a thing people like. Whatever this new thing is has the potential to be really good, but it also has the potential to be a trainwreck where all the freight cars were carrying burning dumpsters.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's a weird way to go with it if you're trying to attract new fans because the story of FFVII is already pretty....muddled with the whole 'actually you're following Jenova who just shapeshifted to look like Sephiroth but also he may have been controlling her but then that means she pretended to call out to herself and there are also guys called clones who aren't really clones who also have Jenova DNA and Cloud is one but only kinda and Hojo is lying to you about it but only partially' thing.

And now on top of that you're gonna throw in 'well no this sephiroth that's also hanging around is the real one maybe but from an alternate future timeline sometimes or maybe not'. Like, it could turn out to be brilliant but from a company that always seems to be on the verge of financial ruin I thought this was supposed to be the safe investment and not 'hope you were taking notes when you watched Advent Children because those guys might turn out to be major plot characters in the new alternate past'.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not sure they really need to try to attract new fans to be honest. The Playstation version of the original sold over 10 million copies and once it came out as a PS One Classic for the PSP/PS3/Vita, it was consistently in the top ten digital game sales for years back when the PS Blog did that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a weird way to go with it if you're trying to attract new fans because the story of FFVII is already pretty....muddled with the whole 'actually you're following Jenova who just shapeshifted to look like Sephiroth but also he may have been controlling her but then that means she pretended to call out to herself and there are also guys called clones who aren't really clones who also have Jenova DNA and Cloud is one but only kinda and Hojo is lying to you about it but only partially' thing.

And now on top of that you're gonna throw in 'well no this sephiroth that's also hanging around is the real one maybe but from an alternate future timeline sometimes or maybe not'. Like, it could turn out to be brilliant but from a company that always seems to be on the verge of financial ruin I thought this was supposed to be the safe investment and not 'hope you were taking notes when you watched Advent Children because those guys might turn out to be major plot characters in the new alternate past'.

It's weird, isn't it? SE can't seem to make up its mind as to whether it should cater to the megafans or the casual onlookers.

It sounds like they tried to make this both be a faithful retread that respects past and future events and a wildly different take on the original for new audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

It's a weird way to go with it if you're trying to attract new fans

I don't think that's ever been the marketing strategy