Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ISP's are further loving themselves by removing their bandwidth caps during the pandemic. Obviously there's people with serious issues, but generally speaking everything has stayed running and people are starting to question why they had the caps to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

ISP's are further loving themselves by removing their bandwidth caps during the pandemic. Obviously there's people with serious issues, but generally speaking everything has stayed running and people are starting to question why they had the caps to begin with.

it's not like we don't massively overpay for broadband anyway

what the gently caress are these networks even doing with people's money? the amount of suburban home-workers i'm supporting right now that have home internet problems is staggering, you can really tell that these networks planned real real hard around the 9-5 M-F workweek

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Paj doing a bang-up job getting ISPs to pour money into their infrastructure huh

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mirthless posted:

I have stopped so many adobe licenses from ever being purchased that my company should give me a loving plaque

Conversely, at the design studio I had to do some real convincing to get people to understand that when they approved a new headcount for a graphic designer they also automatically approved about five grand in software and font licenses.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mirthless posted:

it's not like we don't massively overpay for broadband anyway

what the gently caress are these networks even doing with people's money? the amount of suburban home-workers i'm supporting right now that have home internet problems is staggering, you can really tell that these networks planned real real hard around the 9-5 M-F workweek

[AT&T CEO Randall] Stephenson's total compensation was $28.72 million in 2017, $29.12 million in 2018, and $32.03 million in 2019, an AT&T filing to the Securities and Exchange Commission said. His pay raise was driven by stock performance. President and COO John Stankey's pay also rose from $16.55 million in 2018 to $22.47 million in 2019.

Comcast chairman and CEO Brian Roberts received a 7.8% increase in total compensation in 2018, raking in $35.03 million for the year, according to the company’s annual proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Friday. Comcast Cable CEO Dave Watson got a 30.5% raise to $14.75 million, mainly tied to an increase in non-equity incentives. Watson received $4.2 million in non-equity compensation in 2018, up from $2.4 million in the previous year.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am curious if ISPs are forced to change their policies because of this, because the internet should be a loving utility already but then again lol at ISPs doing anything pro consumer

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Look at the towns/cities that made their own ISP. Most of them are incredibly well run. Of course, the ISPs started lobbying to make it illegal to run your own ISP like that.
We don't NEED ATT. We don't NEED Comcast.

klosterdev posted:

Paj doing a bang-up job getting ISPs to pour money into their infrastructure huh

In the 1990s, the major ISPs were giving a ton of money strictly for infrastructure upgrades.
Of course, they just took the money and didn't upgrade poo poo.

Did any of them get in trouble for this? Of loving course not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I am curious if ISPs are forced to change their policies because of this, because the internet should be a loving utility already but then again lol at ISPs doing anything pro consumer

Not under the current administration. And certainly not in the current panic situation. It's going to be years before anyone has the energy to give a poo poo about our bandwidth.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm lucky that the place I moved to recently is served by a local regional telco who's been a delight to use. Zero issues since isolation started.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hyperoptic has been pretty solid throughout this

J
Jun 10, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Conversely, at the design studio I had to do some real convincing to get people to understand that when they approved a new headcount for a graphic designer they also automatically approved about five grand in software and font licenses.

I had a fun conversation with management a while back when they hired a poo poo load of people and then panicked about the costs of all the poo poo we had to buy for those people to do their jobs. They seemed to have two lines of thought about software. Some of them thought all software is just free, click the install button and you're done. Others who realized that some software does indeed cost money, also seemed to think we have a huge supply of "spare" licenses laying around for everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been dishing out Acrobat DC Pro license like they're M&Ms. Anything to stop hearing people bitching that someone else has a "better" version. No more of those "DO I HAVE THE LATEST ADOBE BECAUSE DAVE HAS FULL ADOBE AND MY ADOBE IS OLD AND I NEED ARGLBLARGL-" :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

J posted:

I had a fun conversation with management a while back when they hired a poo poo load of people and then panicked about the costs of all the poo poo we had to buy for those people to do their jobs. They seemed to have two lines of thought about software. Some of them thought all software is just free, click the install button and you're done. Others who realized that some software does indeed cost money, also seemed to think we have a huge supply of "spare" licenses laying around for everything.

What do you mean I need to pay for a laptop for this new hire?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think it'll probably go that far once people in the US realize that this is the norm now for at least the next six months (if not a year with the way things are going for you guys) and they fundamentally need working internet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it'll probably go that far once people in the US realize that this is the norm now for at least the next six months (if not a year with the way things are going for you guys) and they fundamentally need working internet.

More like 18 months if you go by what the epidemiologists are saying.

Obviously people will start coming out of their homes well before that and restrictions will loosen as people develop immunity but this disease is going to remain a major influence on life into fall of 2021, especially for any high risk individuals. Hope my employer is open to me going permanent WFH because until there's a breakthrough on treatments I am going to be a hermit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

What do you mean I need to pay for a laptop for this new hire?

You're IT, take it out of your budget!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

More like 18 months if you go by what the epidemiologists are saying.

Obviously people will start coming out of their homes well before that and restrictions will loosen as people develop immunity but this disease is going to remain a major influence on life into fall of 2021, especially for any high risk individuals. Hope my employer is open to me going permanent WFH because until there's a breakthrough on treatments I am going to be a hermit.

I assume, at some point, they will say young/healthy people go to work or whatever, anyone at risk stays home.

My wife has athsma plus an auto-immune disorder, so we're definitely camping out at home for the foreseeable future; I mean I'm a smoker and have high BP as well so in the at-risk category but I'm less concerned about me than her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MF_James posted:

I assume, at some point, they will say young/healthy people go to work or whatever, anyone at risk stays home.

Somewhere in the US will try it, and it'll last about a month before their ICU's overflow, again, I reckon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

My wife has athsma plus an auto-immune disorder, so we're definitely camping out at home for the foreseeable future; I mean I'm a smoker and have high BP as well so in the at-risk category but I'm less concerned about me than her.

Oh man, I just quit 2 summers ago after smoking for 10 years. It was hard, but my wife has a terrible immune system and super bad asthma and her quality of life got drastically better once I stopped. Even if I hadn't smoked in a few hours she could still smell it on me and it would usually send her to a coughing fit. Vaping ended up working too but I just do nicotine pouches now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Toupee Groupie posted:

Would anyone be interested in a thread about working in Health Care IT? I actually met my wife by being the Dicom server admin at our old place of work. Lets just say that being the only guy who could calibrate the monitors after replacing a failed one would be such a good way to meet women?
:same: I work in healthcare IT

Sitting outside a dicom viewing room right now waiting for some gear to show up :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh man, I just quit 2 summers ago after smoking for 10 years. It was hard, but my wife has a terrible immune system and super bad asthma and her quality of life got drastically better once I stopped. Even if I hadn't smoked in a few hours she could still smell it on me and it would usually send her to a coughing fit. Vaping ended up working too but I just do nicotine pouches now.

My smoking doesn't seem to bother her athsma, she also smokes the devil's lettuce (well vapes now) so I'm sure that's unhelpful, I actually just stopped cigs again and swapped to my vape only. Trying to stick with my plan to quit this time around and I think not really wanting to go to the store because of infection will help.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm on a call today and I've just been hearing the words 24/7 and on call mentioned. Part of the stimulus is a bunch of SBA loans, and we have to be prepared to handle the incoming wall of applications. We have a secure email portal and generally I handle, I usually get 2-3 tickets a day. I've been trying to push this off to our tier 1s for year, and we are looking at thousands of applications in the next few days. So I hope they are ready to take this fast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If we got testing (both infection and anti-body) where it needs to be at scale and with quick results, we could MOSTLY go back to normal until a vaccine is viable after we get past the current wave.

If every encounter with healthcare came with a test (both infection and antibody) that returned results within minutes, then we could start getting a good picture of how far the infection spread and who is immune to it now. In places with low infection rates, restrictions could be relaxed until we start seeing rises in infections again.

If we are able to tap the brake every time we see infections start to rise, that would prevent the spread further and the incident rate would be low enough that proper contact tracing could be done so that the chain could be broken. After a few waves of that, we could get rates down nationwide to the point where we could contain any further spread until we either got a vaccine or enough people developed immunity to really arrest the spread.

That said, all of that takes a level of coordination and expertise that is simply beyond the current administration. So, the most likely situation is everything closed until May, then we open up and let infections spike again, and 1 out of every 1000 people in this country is going to die.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Toupee Groupie posted:

the POP in my area has 2.5 Gig down and 1Gb up and service has been oversold.
That sounds like gpon but this is the first time I heard about deploying a optical tree with more than 48-96 users.

We are getting slammed isp speed wise but not terribly, thankfully my town has full ftth coverage but not so many subscribers so speeds are still decent.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 2, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

If we got testing (both infection and anti-body) where it needs to be at scale and with quick results, we could MOSTLY go back to normal until a vaccine is viable after we get past the current wave.

If every encounter with healthcare came with a test (both infection and antibody) that returned results within minutes, then we could start getting a good picture of how far the infection spread and who is immune to it now. In places with low infection rates, restrictions could be relaxed until we start seeing rises in infections again.

If we are able to tap the brake every time we see infections start to rise, that would prevent the spread further and the incident rate would be low enough that proper contact tracing could be done so that the chain could be broken. After a few waves of that, we could get rates down nationwide to the point where we could contain any further spread until we either got a vaccine or enough people developed immunity to really arrest the spread.
Stop it, you're making me think that we can beat this!

bull3964 posted:

That said, all of that takes a level of coordination and expertise that is simply beyond the current administration. So, the most likely situation is everything closed until May, then we open up and let infections spike again, and 1 out of every 1000 people in this country is going to die.

Oh, there it is.

:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wibla posted:

Stop it, you're making me think that we can beat this!

Oh, there it is.

:smith:

Abbott Labs has started shipping their testing unit, which can get a result pretty quick. And yet:

quote:

As Abbott Laboratories began shipping its new rapid-response tests across the country Wednesday, a new flash point emerged in the nation’s handling of the pandemic: where to deploy the covid-19 diagnostics that could be one of the most effective tools in combating the outbreak.

:v:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/01/scramble-rapid-coronavirus-tests-everybody-wants/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am very lucky to have new CenturyLink fiber infrastructure to my building. Signed up for their initial rollout when they were doing $60 price-for-life as well. Haven't run into any issues, but then again I'm in an apartment near the city center of Seattle.

We're seeing some issues with other users' internet, but not as many as I expected; most of our users outside of our retail locations had already started WFH at least occasionally, and when we had the recent snowstorm we had basically a dry run of this, with all of HQ working from home.

But internet should absolutely be a public utility. It's a basic need, and if every child had guaranteed internet (offer subsidies for low-income people like we do with power and water), this wouldn't have nearly as big of an impact on schooling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For gently caress's sake go home. You are forbidden from working in the office by both the CEO and the goddamn mayor. I don't care that your little kid is a distraction. GO HOME.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been dishing out Acrobat DC Pro license like they're M&Ms. Anything to stop hearing people bitching that someone else has a "better" version. No more of those "DO I HAVE THE LATEST ADOBE BECAUSE DAVE HAS FULL ADOBE AND MY ADOBE IS OLD AND I NEED ARGLBLARGL-" :argh:

XenApp with is the way to go with this. https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/VirtualizationGuide/index.html It costs the same, but is so much easier to deploy, especially of you have an Adobe VIP or ELTA. I know that now may not be the time to try to implement this, but once it is done, life is much easier.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Dick Trauma posted:

For gently caress's sake go home. You are forbidden from working in the office by both the CEO and the goddamn mayor. I don't care that your little kid is a distraction. GO HOME.

Can you not (at the permission of the CEO of course) call the police on them? Other instances would suggest that they are taking this source of flagrant flouting of the rules seriously.

(I already know the depressing answer).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
We are talking expanding the number of people going on call to cover more things, and the stipend for being on call is 50 bucks a week. Thats 24/7 on call, not just extended hours. Weird how any time I get called it takes 2-3 hours to fix for some reason.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

We are talking expanding the number of people going on call to cover more things, and the stipend for being on call is 50 bucks a week. Thats 24/7 on call, not just extended hours. Weird how any time I get called it takes 2-3 hours to fix for some reason.

gently caress, I thought my place was being cheap at $200 a week for on-call.

Though it sounds like you get paid for the off-hours you work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There's at least two people at work now, so they can have a little COVID party together.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

gently caress, I thought my place was being cheap at $200 a week for on-call.

Though it sounds like you get paid for the off-hours you work.

Yea, we are still hourly and will get paid for it, but its still crap that its only 50 bucks. I get the same amount in cell phone reimbursement for checking email on my phone.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

There's at least two people at work now, so they can have a little COVID party together.

Shut down their ports or WiFi, then claim it requires you to come to the office, but you're not breaking the law.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My Comcast Business internet. Yes, this is the rock-solid internet I can depend on from Comcast.

Business hours? Who needs it!

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
How on earth do you tell an iPad to open .ica files with Citrix Receiver?

Girlfriend is trying to get her WfH stuff set up and had this issue. She tried to call her companies IT support, who couldn't seem to grasp she was on an iPad, not Windows.

Never worked with Citrix before but sure, I'll have a look.

She video calls me on Facebook messenger, picture quality like a 2003 Nokia, kids screaming at each other in the background.

I think I've aged 30 years in 30 minutes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Wow that's some BS. We get $280/week for on call, plus since we are hourly and most calls at the hospital happen during 3rd shift we get differential pay for that, plus at least an hour of overtime added to our check. I took 5 minute call last night that just required me to reboot a pc and that'll be an hour of on call pay added!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

Girlfriend is trying to get her WfH stuff set up and had this issue. She tried to call her companies IT support, who couldn't seem to grasp she was on an iPad, not Windows.

She video calls me on Facebook messenger, picture quality like a 2003 Nokia, kids screaming at each other in the background.

You download the Workspace app and use that to add the connection. At no point should you see an ICA file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whipstickagostop posted:

https://help-docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-ios/settings-menu.html#browser