Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

PYF Funny Pictures is having yet another thrilled-packed goon derail about which regional-style pizza is the best (:rolleyes:), but this gem got posted that I thought history-lovin' food goons would find interesting.

https://www.madmagazine.com/blog/2013/11/19/dave-berg-before-the-lighter-side-pizza-pie

As someone born in '74, only 16 years after that got published (1958), it's wild to me that pizza was considered an inscrutable, foreign food fad so recently. Enough so that it was subject to mockery in Mad Magazine! I really had no idea it was such a recent addition to American food culture. I grew up having birthday parties at Pizza Hut, and every mall had a pizza place.

I mean, I guess I've seen that with sushi in my lifetime; what was once considered a rare and bizarre fad in the 80's as a "oh, those crazy yuppie Californians!" food, I can pick up at any Kroger here in VA now. Still: my mind, she is blown.

fake edit: huh, just looked it up and Pizza Hut opened their first store that same year, 1958. 1977 was when they got bought by Pepsi and really blew up.
Yeah pizza is one of those things like tacos or burritos where it was an absolute staple in some communities/regions before it broke out into broader mainstream. For pizza in America it was a familiar thing in most of the coastal urban centers before the Second World War (first in New York, then throughout New England, and then LA), but it wasn't until the late '50s that it really started to be a nationwide thing.

Most sources connect this to GIs serving in Italy (who are consistently the Uncle Who Works At Nintendo in 20th Century American culinary folklore), but this is about the time when a whole shitload of regional food trends were expanding, due to changes in transportation, refrigeration, demographics, the economy, and so on. Everything from bagels to the Caesar salad were becoming nationally known around the '50s, after both being well-known regionally since the start of the 20th Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pizza was also first a food of the poor, and not exactly well-regarded.

Neapolitan pizza snobbery is a pretty modern thing, brought about after pizza in general had already become popular and Americanized.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Pizza was also first a food of the poor, and not exactly well-regarded.

Neapolitan pizza snobbery is a pretty modern thing, brought about after pizza in general had already become popular and Americanized.
I think my favourite example of a historical freakout over a food item considered mundane today is from Hitchcock's 1972 film Frenzy, in which we are expected to be disgusted by that indescribably weird cocktail the margarita.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SubG posted:

I think my favourite example of a historical freakout over a food item considered mundane today is from Hitchcock's 1972 film Frenzy, in which we are expected to be disgusted by that indescribably weird cocktail the margarita.

Tekwila

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SubG posted:

Yeah pizza is one of those things like tacos or burritos where it was an absolute staple in some communities/regions before it broke out into broader mainstream. For pizza in America it was a familiar thing in most of the coastal urban centers before the Second World War (first in New York, then throughout New England, and then LA), but it wasn't until the late '50s that it really started to be a nationwide thing.

Most sources connect this to GIs serving in Italy (who are consistently the Uncle Who Works At Nintendo in 20th Century American culinary folklore), but this is about the time when a whole shitload of regional food trends were expanding, due to changes in transportation, refrigeration, demographics, the economy, and so on. Everything from bagels to the Caesar salad were becoming nationally known around the '50s, after both being well-known regionally since the start of the 20th Century.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense; I grew up in upstate NY with a pretty hefty Italian population in my city so pizza joints would've been more of a normal thing . Still, with MAD's offices being in NY, it struck me as funny. I guess they were playing to the flyover states where it would've been a fad food.

I just asked my husband, who was born in '70, if he remembers pizza being A Thing here in Virginia, and he said "well, I know Pizza Hut existed... oh, and there was a place downtown, and a place you could get it by the slice in [boondocks town the next county over]." So yeah, I guess I was spoiled as a kid!

Also that margarita scene is droll-ly hilarious. I love how the wife just knocks that poo poo back, woman after my own heart: "welp, not letting this go to waste".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I get a chance to pick up fresh food during this crisis, I might try to get vegetables for a Woolton Pie, albeit with seasoning.

quote:

1 pound Cauliflower
1 pound Parsnips
1 pound Carrots
1 pound Potatoes
1 bunch Spring onions ; chopped
2 teaspoons Marmite or stock cube
1 tablespoon Rolled oats
Parsley
8 ounces Flour
4 ounces Potato ; Mashed
3 ounces Margarine
2 teaspoons Baking powder

Chop up the vegetables into chunks with those that take longest to cook into smaller pieces.

Place in pot and bring to simmer with just enough water to reach 3/4 of the way up the veg in the pot.

Add in Marmite and rolled oats, salt and pepper and cook until tender and most of the water has been absorbed.

Place mixture in deep pie dish and sprinkle with fresh parsley (or add dry parsley to mixture and mix in)

Make the pastry by mixing the flour with the baking powder and salt and then rubbing in the margarine.

Mix the mashed potato in to form a dough and knead (add a little water to the mixture if too dry)

Roll out to form pie crust and place on top and decorate then brush with milk.

Place in oven at 200C for 30 minutes or so until top is form and browned.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Woolton pie ain't bad

For Celiac family sake, I use gluten-free oats and swap the traditional pie crust with mashed potatoes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So I know most of us here know and love Jos. Townsends videos, but this one... I lost my restaurant job last week, and I just made some veggie soup for our quarantined household since that's all I can contribute without a paycheck. I said "I'mma gonna watch some Townsends to distract/cheer me up while I eat this soup". And godDAMN if my man doesn't deliver with this recent video comparing our current situation with that of the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGr-8P_vEZA

Blessed as gently caress.

I hope everyone here is doing well during this absolute shitstorm.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bless the Nutmeg Bender.

Every time a new video from them pops up in my feed, it's a must watch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I did make the Eisenhower soup, but I'm not sure I can say it's a very similar recipe, since I replaced all the root vegetables with rutabaga and the pearl onions with chopped onions. Pretty good, though. Idunno if the rutabaga made it slightly sweet or if that was the tomatoes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The lovely channel on youtube for Great Depression Cooking with Clara (RIP) has a recipe for pizza - I gather her family was Italian, but they had pizza in the 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAa4-cctmDk

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lombardi's was selling pies in New York in 1905, and there's plenty of accounts of Italian immigrants and their "tomato pies" from the 1860s and onward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's an account from something like 1903 that I've read of Italians at a street festival selling "hot pizzarelli." It was known by people living near Italians but regarded as a uniquely Italian food until the 1950s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Tomato pie" still shows up on menus in Philly. It sounded completely disgusting to me until I realized it's just flatbread with sauce on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tomato pie is also a thing a thing, at least in the south. Put a bunch of sliced tomatoes in a pie shell with maybe some onions, herbs and bacon, top with cheese and/or mayo or white sauce. I've never made one, but I have had it and it's pretty good. Calling it a tomato tart might be better marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_tomato_pie

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
That sugared, green tomato pie sounds really good. Like a rhubarb pie. Sort of sweet and sour.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

"Tomato pie" still shows up on menus in Philly. It sounded completely disgusting to me until I realized it's just flatbread with sauce on it.
It's very much a Utica NY-area thing too. It's so good.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244467956748189696
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244473069504065537
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244488741361598464
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244491065018609664

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Reading the first tweet I assumed his method was "lol i swabbed an egyptian pot and mixed it with some flour" but he was really quite careful. The full thread is worth the read!

I was a little concerned with the 30 minute autoclave step, wondering if it would cook the flour too much and change something important, but it all seems to have turned out well in the end.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks to a Cracked article I learned today that FDR ate miserably during WW2. Apparently their cook, Mrs. Nesbitt, was simply awful at it, turning out dishes like plain spaghetti with boiled carrots, 'Bobotree Salad'---cold rice and bananas mashed with curry powder, in a dressing of French dressing and Worchestershire sauce, and mashed potatoes with prunes in them.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I always feel like I should stick up for maligned foods but I'm sorry, prunes taste like an attic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

angerbeet posted:

I always feel like I should stick up for maligned foods but I'm sorry, prunes taste like an attic.

:wrong:

prunes are great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Astrofig posted:

--cold rice and bananas mashed with curry powder,

What the gently caress? Why would you ever do this?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What the gently caress? Why would you ever do this?
It kinda just sounds like a white lady making congee or jook, honestly. There are already a shitload of rice + banana dishes, cold and hot, and an even larger shitload of rice + curry dishes, cold and hot. I don't know of any off the top of my head that combine the two, but it doesn't actually sound that outrageous to me. Really it's the French dressing that kills it for me. Like I could see maybe squinting at the Worchestershire and figuring hey, it's congee so it could use some fermented fish in there. But you know that French dressing was that radioactive orange sugar and ketchup thing that's basically white people sweet and sour sauce.

And plain spaghetti is just a plate of clinical depression.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought sweet and sour sauce was white people sweet and sour sauce.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Bottled French dressing is sweet and sour sauce for white people who think sweet and sour sauce is too exotic.

But yeah the super sugary version is mostly an American Chinese takeaway thing, but sweet and sour sauce more broadly isn't just that stuff. E.g. sweet and sour pork is something you'll find all over the place in Hong Kong, and the sauce is (typically) more vinegary than the American takeaway version, and frequently has distinct fruit notes, hawthorne (which has a sort of super-tart apple flavour) being a common one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Halloween Jack posted:

Surprisingly, no. The sweet and sour pork I would get in Chengdu tasted 100% exactly like American Chinese food, even had the same unnatural nuclear color. I would get it and a similarly American tasting broccoli thing when I had an American Chinese nostalgia moment. That or some chao mian at the noodle place.

There are also a lot of Chinese sauces that fall into the general category of sweet and sour of course, but this one is what you're thinking of in the US as sweet and sour.

American Chinese isn't all American, there were a number of times I'd get something in China and it was closer than you'd think. Especially in Hong Kong.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Surprisingly, no. The sweet and sour pork I would get in Chengdu tasted 100% exactly like American Chinese food, even had the same unnatural nuclear color. I would get it and a similarly American tasting broccoli thing when I had an American Chinese nostalgia moment. That or some chao mian at the noodle place.

There are also a lot of Chinese sauces that fall into the general category of sweet and sour of course, but this one is what you're thinking of in the US as sweet and sour.

American Chinese isn't all American, there were a number of times I'd get something in China and it was closer than you'd think. Especially in Hong Kong.
I'd love a map of the geographic distribution of different types of sweet and sour. There appear to be a couple of broad genres: the one that's basically ketchup + vinegar + sugar; the one that's mostly pineapple + vinegar; and the none-of-the-above (which tends to be random sweet veg like cukes + vinegar + sugar).

When I was in college there was a Thai place next to campus that did sweet and sour that had cukes and tomatoes and vinegar and I liked it pretty well. And because I hadn't had a lot of Thai at that point I thought that that was just what Thai sweet and sour was like. Then I tried ordering it from another Thai place and got the glow-in-the-dark ketchup-sugar-vinegar stuff. The owners of both places were from southern Thailand and both of them swore blind that that's the way everybody made it where they came from.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There was a hole-in-the-wall Chinese place in Ann Arbor, the kind with very American dishes and pages of menu items in handwritten Chinese taped to the walls like an afterthought. Their sweet-and-sour was absolutely ketchup-based, with crinkle-cut carrots and, oddly enough, jicama. It was delicious and I miss it.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

The one on south u? They closed permanently a year ago.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

augias posted:

The one on south u? They closed permanently a year ago.
Nah, Dinersty on E. Liberty. They closed years and years ago. :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like prunes but why would you put them in white potato? They would be nice over a sweet potato casserole sort of thing, with roasted nuts and such.

Look, you can get as saucey and fancy as you want with pasta, but ultimately nothing beats cramming handfulls of buttered salted noodles in your face for pure carb heaven.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'll always argue that my carb load of choice is a pile of steamed rice. Doesn't matter what kind, all of them are good. Furikake a plus but not required.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm still kind of baffled by most Asian carryout style places because I've never familiarized myself with the most common dishes and what they mean. Is kung pao style good? If it's good with chicken is it good with shrimp? gently caress, I can't remember. I'm trying to figure out what vegetables come with it and if they're overcooked.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still kind of baffled by most Asian carryout style places because I've never familiarized myself with the most common dishes and what they mean. Is kung pao style good? If it's good with chicken is it good with shrimp? gently caress, I can't remember. I'm trying to figure out what vegetables come with it and if they're overcooked.

Kung Pao anything is good, yo. All the variants, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt-pyFj2t2g

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, I'd assume what you're getting there is more like British Chinese, which is similar but different (you generally won't find General Tsos over here, for example).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

My husband and I used to live in an area with 4-5 takeout Chinese places, plus Thai, Vietnamese, Korean... man I miss that city. Anyways, we had a similar problem. We could not only not remember things like if Hunan beef was spicier than Mala beef, but which places did a familiar dish like lo mein better and which ones sucked for that.

We ended up starting a notebook, and every time we ordered we'd write down what we got and where we got it from. Then we'd put down a little note, just a few words like "good, really hot" or "yech, gummy" or "BEST HOT & SOUR EVER!!!" Next time craved Asian takeout, we'd consult The Book. Also it had a handy pocket inside where we kept all the menus so we never had to go hunting for them.

It's a bit nerdy, but Chinese takeout is Serious Business. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

feedmegin posted:

I mean, I'd assume what you're getting there is more like British Chinese, which is similar but different (you generally won't find General Tsos over here, for example).

American Chinese is based on Cantonese food, so the resemblance is stronger anywhere Guangdongish. Hong Kong is the only Cantonese food city I've been to so that's my example.

General Tso's, despite being super popular in the US and the first name anyone picks for American Chinese food, is naturally not from the US at all but invented by a Hunanese chef in Taiwan who worked for Chiang Kai-shek.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

General Tso's, despite being super popular in the US and the first name anyone picks for American Chinese food, is naturally not from the US at all but invented by a Hunanese chef in Taiwan who worked for Chiang Kai-shek.
Maybe. Like most iconic dish origin stories, this one has multiple claimants, questions about the name versus the dish itself, and a paucity of documentary evidence to make any authoritative ruling.

I mean I think the Peng Chang Kuei theory (he's the chef you're describing) is probably the most plausible of the competing origin stories, but at the very least if he's the one who first put something called General Tso's on a menu he was probably basing it on a similar recipe, and it is almost certainly true that his dish was not quite what we know the dish as today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aunt Beth posted:

It's very much a Utica NY-area thing too. It's so good.

Also, steamed hams.