Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Son of a loving bitch whore.

I typically order from maybe a dozen different vendors. Because of issues with credit holds, I am unable to order many things at the cheapest price, or with the quickest turnaround. My cheapest vendor for most extrusions (incidentally the same company of the sales rep who, unprompted, wrote me a glowing recommendation letter when I left my company in '14) is currently on hold. So now I'm ordering from the next most expensive vendor.

Yesterday, I get a batch of invoices from them. Including a single invoice for each branch, each of which has but one line item: "LATE PAYMENT CHARGE". So I guess it's on to $most_expensive_vendor soon since they cut us off from the other 2 cheap vendors because their customer service sucks and their extrusion is high-tolerance garbage (case in point: every single screen room with $shitty_vendor metal we've put in, we have had to go back to - the industry standard is a .310 flat spline, but their grooves are so lovely they require a .315 and it's still not the right fit).

Why the gently caress am I still here :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

D34THROW posted:

Son of a loving bitch whore.

I typically order from maybe a dozen different vendors. Because of issues with credit holds, I am unable to order many things at the cheapest price, or with the quickest turnaround. My cheapest vendor for most extrusions (incidentally the same company of the sales rep who, unprompted, wrote me a glowing recommendation letter when I left my company in '14) is currently on hold. So now I'm ordering from the next most expensive vendor.

Yesterday, I get a batch of invoices from them. Including a single invoice for each branch, each of which has but one line item: "LATE PAYMENT CHARGE". So I guess it's on to $most_expensive_vendor soon since they cut us off from the other 2 cheap vendors because their customer service sucks and their extrusion is high-tolerance garbage (case in point: every single screen room with $shitty_vendor metal we've put in, we have had to go back to - the industry standard is a .310 flat spline, but their grooves are so lovely they require a .315 and it's still not the right fit).

Why the gently caress am I still here :shepicide:

I like how you are complaining about not being able to buy from a vendor and then also complaining about the things you buy from the vendor while also admitting you aren't paying for the things you are buying all in the same post. Amazing.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Internet Explorer posted:

You download the Workspace app and use that to add the connection. At no point should you see an ICA file.

We tried the Workspace app, it connects fine, logs her in and she can see she is signed in on the app settings, but when you open the app list, it is blank and says "sign in" at the top.

The Receiver app logs in fine, however when you click on an app or the desktop tab, it tries to download an .ica file, but the ipad doesn't know how to open these.

She is getting paid either way regardless if she can log in, so we are done messing about with it. It was just incredibly stresful providing tech support for another company on a platform I am completely unfamiliar with while the user has screaming kids in the background and the only view I get is wonky pictures on Messenger.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

We tried the Workspace app, it connects fine, logs her in and she can see she is signed in on the app settings, but when you open the app list, it is blank and says "sign in" at the top.

The Receiver app logs in fine, however when you click on an app or the desktop tab, it tries to download an .ica file, but the ipad doesn't know how to open these.

She is getting paid either way regardless if she can log in, so we are done messing about with it. It was just incredibly stresful providing tech support for another company on a platform I am completely unfamiliar with while the user has screaming kids in the background and the only view I get is wonky pictures on Messenger.

It's been a little while and I haven't touched their new Workspace app, but in the past there was a toggle between Apps and Desktops, can you check to make sure you're going to the right "tab"? Also, in the past they only showed things that you or IT marked as favorites on that first screen. Is there an option to browse for additional Apps or Desktops?

If not, sorry, that's all I've got. The link Thanks Ants posted is worth a look, but connecting that way is less than ideal.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Internet Explorer posted:

It's been a little while and I haven't touched their new Workspace app, but in the past there was a toggle between Apps and Desktops, can you check to make sure you're going to the right "tab"? Also, in the past they only showed things that you or IT marked as favorites on that first screen. Is there an option to browse for additional Apps or Desktops?

If not, sorry, that's all I've got. The link Thanks Ants posted is worth a look, but connecting that way is less than ideal.

So looks like you need both Workspace and Receiver installed and it will let you open your desktop. Or maybe it was the random attempt at logging in on Safari. Who knows.

Either way I shouldn't be troubleshooting it. I semi-jokingly suggested sending their IT team an invoice for my time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Whipstickagostop posted:

Try tapping the downloaded .ica file in Safari's download manager, then tapping the Share icon in the top right, then look for the Citrix app in the list of apps you can share the file to. If you can't get there through the Citrix app directly, this is the way to open a downloaded file in a specific app in iOS.

Example using a random file from my downloads:

If Citrix doesn't show up in that second row, check the three-dot menu at the end.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Some vendors are getting ridiculous on subscription reminders...

Sonicwall started sending me reminder emails in December, for subscriptions that don't expire until the 3rd week of April this year. Then the reseller we bought them through started sending 2-3 emails a day about it. And then Sonicwall sent a bunch of letters in the mail just a couple weeks later.

This week I have received 2 emails from Veeam for our subscription that doesn't expire until the first week of August.

OMG ITS ONLY 9 MONTHS UNTIL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRES!! YOU BETTER GET A QUOTE NOW!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

CitizenKain posted:

We are talking expanding the number of people going on call to cover more things, and the stipend for being on call is 50 bucks a week. Thats 24/7 on call, not just extended hours. Weird how any time I get called it takes 2-3 hours to fix for some reason.

That number is so low it’s actually worse then nothing.

When I was twenty something, I was doing IT at a retail store part time while finishing up my degree. The owner decided to issue a Christmas bonus and mine turned out to be eighteen dollars. It was a check for eighteen dollars. Like what is the point?

Sometimes something is worse than nothing due to the realization of how little you and your time are actually valued.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

stevewm posted:

Sonicwall started sending me reminder emails in December, for subscriptions that don't expire until the 3rd week of April this year. Then the reseller we bought them through started sending 2-3 emails a day about it. And then Sonicwall sent a bunch of letters in the mail just a couple weeks later.

This week I have received 2 emails from Veeam for our subscription that doesn't expire until the first week of August.

OMG ITS ONLY 9 MONTHS UNTIL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION EXPIRES!! YOU BETTER GET A QUOTE NOW!

They are trying to get their cut of an ever vanishing pile of money before it's all depleted by then end of the year when we are either all still in quarantine or digging mass graves.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

stevewm posted:

I mean, not to be too :smith: about it but they're probably betting a non-zero percentage of those expirations are at places which will no longer be going concerns by that point, so book the sales revenue now?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

I like how you are complaining about not being able to buy from a vendor and then also complaining about the things you buy from the vendor while also admitting you aren't paying for the things you are buying all in the same post. Amazing.

I'm just the purchasing/local AP guy - I buy the poo poo and process the invoices, then the corporate office actually pays the bills. Or doesn't, in this case, and neither I nor anyone below a C-level have any idea why.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A guy from Dell called me today. "I'm looking to update our allowed purchaser list at your organization"

We don't buy anything from Dell, sneaky sales-dude.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

That number is so low it’s actually worse then nothing.

When I was twenty something, I was doing IT at a retail store part time while finishing up my degree. The owner decided to issue a Christmas bonus and mine turned out to be eighteen dollars. It was a check for eighteen dollars. Like what is the point?

Sometimes something is worse than nothing due to the realization of how little you and your time are actually valued.

Yea, if it was tied to days at least it would just be lovely, but nope. If you work one day on call, 50 bucks. 7 days on call, 50 bucks. Any time I get a call, it will be on hour of pay, I'll make sure of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

He kind of covered this already, but you're in too high of a position to think that paying bills as a big company is as simple as putting in your card information.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He kind of covered this already, but you're in too high of a position to think that paying bills as a big company is as simple as putting in your card information.

Yeah, but if the guy is having to cycle between vendors because of credit holds, his employer is bad at paying bills.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Fool posted:

Yeah, but if the guy is having to cycle between vendors because of credit holds, his employer is bad at paying bills.

welcome to 70% of companies

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

some of our customers (the big companies of course because they know you aren't going to tell them to go away) negotiate longer terms than normal and then pay late every time and I know they aren't hurting for the little checks they are going to send us.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that's what he was saying when he asked why he was still working there.

The company I was an ERP admin for was a shitshow when it came to paying bills, like we would have entire projects go into the red because bills wouldn't get paid on time (very low margin business). There were a lot of aspects to it. One, PMs/directors/VPs that were "too busy" to do their approvals in a timely manner, two, AP's rear end-backwards process that involved printing everything out, filling it in by hand, scanning it back in, the standard thing we joke about. Three, a ticket queue so loving backed up that when I ended up taking it over when the primary ticket-handler was fired there were tickets that were almost a month old that hadn't been responded to yet. Four, an absolutely abysmal implementation of the ERP system by people who were no longer there, I checked in with the other guy on my team a year after I left and asked if they had managed to unfuck it yet. They had not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get a company not paying the bill for whatever reason and dealing with a credit hold. I guess its more humorous saying how a product sucks but also being upset at not being able to order it. :iiam:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

I get a company not paying the bill for whatever reason and dealing with a credit hold. I guess its more humorous saying how a product sucks but also being upset at not being able to order it. :iiam:

"The product is poo poo, but my boss is crawling up my rear end to get it done but LOL! loving AP can't be assed to pay our own bills so now I need the really expensive poo poo because at least AP got off their asses to pay the 2 month late bill before they blacklisted us."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I checked in with the other guy on my team a year after I left and asked if they had managed to unfuck it yet. They had not.

Why at any point did they not set people aside and be like "yokay, idc what you're doing, you're fixing this now" :psyduck:

poo poo that pisses me off:

Engineering/Networks changing things and just expecting everyone to adopt it, but meaningfully not telling everyone who it's affecting and, IDK, I guess just expect HD to let the users know.

Except you know, the users find out before us.

They put out messages in custom apps to say "any problems just contact HD"

No emails. No chat messages, no heads up whatsoever. We bitch to them and their managers, get some half-assed apology, and it just keeps happening. Users (internal users) complain to HD, HD shakes their head and agrees because no one's wanting to take responsibility. The only thing that even gets pre-notice is patches on the server when they have to reboot things, and then everyone suddenly pays attention because god forbid something breaks and everything comes to a grounding halt, except, it's never the higher ups who get in trouble, and all of that "Fix-it-once-it's-broken" stress gets thrown onto HD who frantically is fielding calls and also trying to alert the people who should be (more) aware when stuff like this happens.

Oh, and our team lead is doing VIP calls, instead of you know, having a dedicated IT team for the VIPs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why at any point did they not set people aside and be like "yokay, idc what you're doing, you're fixing this now" :psyduck:

Because (like American Politics) there is no actual interest or desire(from those at the top) to fix issues.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

A guy from Dell called me today. "I'm looking to update our allowed purchaser list at your organization"

We don't buy anything from Dell, sneaky sales-dude.

Tell them their existing list is still correct.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because the only person in the American branch of the company at that point with the kind of experience that would be needed to do it was the manager, very niche product for America. And he was getting pulled between the American branch and the Europe branch constantly despite supposedly being only the manager for America. That's why he eventually left the company. They paid for consultants to do project work on some stuff, but the amount of work needed was massive.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

taqueso posted:

some of our customers (the big companies of course because they know you aren't going to tell them to go away) negotiate longer terms than normal and then pay late every time and I know they aren't hurting for the little checks they are going to send us.

That's the thing! The vendor I just got the late invoices from? We're net 60 with them. That's the longest terms we get from any company, and because of credit issues, we're on a deposit/COD basis with a lot of other vendors. Somehow, luckily, though, one of our other major, local vendors gave us back our 1% 10 prox 30 terms after a long credit hold and a period of COD.

Sickening posted:

Because I'd rather have the shorter of these two conversations on a daily basis.

:byodood: D34THROW, why are we having so many issues with these jobs?
:) I had no choice but to order $shit_vendor, since everything else was on hold and you want the cheapest we can get.

:byodood: D34THROW, why are we spending so much on these jobs? It's killing our margins!
:what: Because $shit_vendor's metal is poo poo and you get what you pay for with them, so I ordered from $good_but_expensive_vendor instead. Turnaround is better too.
:byodood: You should be ordering from where it's cheapest, even if it's $shit_vendor and we've had issues with their metal before.
:what: See $list_of_jobs with this spline issue. What we saved by buying from them, we already more than spent in the revenue-free labor to go out and roll in bigger spline.
:byodood: Order from the cheapest place.

Of course, it just cycles. :smithicide:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

The 'keys to the castle' in regards to anything IT in our site has been on all sorts of leave since before xmas. Leave for cancer treatment and isolation in Nov is a no brainer. The rest after the all clear and this situation is very suspicious. I've known him for 10 years prior to working for this company and he won't reply to emails or calls (we have an out of work friendship). Yet I see him remoting into his office computer when I'm checking documentation and the timesheets show him as vacation leave. Company boss said he isn't required right now, yet they are on the phone to him at least 3 times a day.

Waiting for the network to implode.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been dishing out Acrobat DC Pro license like they're M&Ms. Anything to stop hearing people bitching that someone else has a "better" version. No more of those "DO I HAVE THE LATEST ADOBE BECAUSE DAVE HAS FULL ADOBE AND MY ADOBE IS OLD AND I NEED ARGLBLARGL-" :argh:

man it's almost a $300 difference a license and all you get is redactions

CitizenKain posted:

We are talking expanding the number of people going on call to cover more things, and the stipend for being on call is 50 bucks a week. Thats 24/7 on call, not just extended hours. Weird how any time I get called it takes 2-3 hours to fix for some reason.

you guys are getting paid???

we had to fight our director just to get him to let us claim after hours calls in half hour increments and our salary guys get nothing, if they had their way, on-call would be mandatory charity work at my company

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 4, 2020

J
Jun 10, 2001

Mirthless posted:

man it's almost a $300 difference a license and all you get is redactions

I always wondered about this, I don't know poo poo about acrobat but man some people get really wound up about how someone else has a "better" version like what Dick Trauma was saying but they can never tell me what the difference is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

and you can't trust the redactions anyway

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

My accounting SaaS software has an "insights" section which occasionally highlights your "worst debtors" by naming and shaming clients who regularly pay their invoices late.

For a couple of years that monthly report always flagged up the SaaS accounting company itself because they were my main client and also loving sucked at paying on time.

Eventually I shamed them enough internally that they started doing better, because having your own software grass you up for being a poo poo client was embarrassing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

My accounting SaaS software has an "insights" section which occasionally highlights your "worst debtors" by naming and shaming clients who regularly pay their invoices late.

For a couple of years that monthly report always flagged up the SaaS accounting company itself because they were my main client and also loving sucked at paying on time.

Eventually I shamed them enough internally that they started doing better, because having your own software grass you up for being a poo poo client was embarrassing.

My former company's accountants were always getting jerked around by executives who wanted to play cute with invoices to apply pressures to our suppliers. It was frankly embarassing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was annoyed enough to find out that there are people working in the office again, but then the CEO's son told me that the building renovation project is starting again tomorrow, and an AV team is going to be installing 25 TVs, a gaggle of Apple TVs, Sonos systems, Zoom rooms, speakers... and this is the first I've heard of it. We're going to have one TV for every two employees. He wants to run 50 cables back to the server room but I would prefer making a dedicated AV network rack on that side of the building instead.

He asks if I want to meet onsite with the AV team and I said that due to the global pandemic I will not be meeting onsite with anyone, anywhere. For gently caress's sake.

At the very least when this thing is done it's all on the son, even if people want to pester me to support this overkill AV system. I wasn't allowed even one ounce of feedback on this project.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I have exactly two vendors that carry a low-VOC (read: not-as-stinky) interior caulk that we use frequently. One - the cheaper one - is one of the vendors I am currently cut off from due to credit issues. The other had drivers and warehouse folks self-quarantine and are running fewer routes in my area, so my minimum has gone from $50 to $200 and case quantities only.

I just need 3 loving 12-count cases of Duo-Sil goddammit :bang:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D34THROW posted:

I have exactly two vendors that carry a low-VOC (read: not-as-stinky) interior caulk that we use frequently. One - the cheaper one - is one of the vendors I am currently cut off from due to credit issues. The other had drivers and warehouse folks self-quarantine and are running fewer routes in my area, so my minimum has gone from $50 to $200 and case quantities only.

I just need 3 loving 12-count cases of Duo-Sil goddammit :bang:

Pay your bills.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The guy managing what the warehouse/operations needs is often not the person who decides which invoices to (not) pay. :ssh:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

The guy managing what the warehouse/operations needs is often not the person who decides which invoices to (not) pay. :ssh:

And therein lies the rub. I know for a loving FACT we make enough to pay my branch's bills.

You see, not only do I process the receiving and invoicing for corporate, I also enter everyone's time into the ERP by job, which means I know what our payroll is, and I can see what we're pulling in every month. Revenue absolutely loving exceeds expenses, even including the loving rent we pay (and the utilities that are included in that particular $7,000 a month) and I'm loving exhausted of this poo poo and it is 90% of my griping right now.

We generally hover around a 40%-50% profit margin, so I have no drat clue where this money goes. My boss-mother thinks the CFO might be embezzling or something and it wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: Have ya'll ever watched a company implode with an insider before? Because I seriously wonder sometimes if this whole thing is going to collapse and if it does, I'm chronicling it.

Oh, who am I kidding? I already am. :smith:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 6, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Indeed, and I've been in that position before, but it's *is* that person's responsibility to push back on whoever is tanking their rep with suppliers to make sure they're aware of the consequences of their decisions. The "pay your bills" was more directed at D34THROW's company as a whole rather than them as an individual.

If they've already done everything in their power to fix that issue, then it's time to stop caring so much that they're pissed off enough to post on the internet about it, as clearly the holders of the purse strings don't.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My company for some reason signed a contract that said the client must pay all administrative invoices within 75 days, instead of a more normal 30 or 45 days.

Wouldnt you know they always pay around day 70...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I worked at a place that paid their poo poo late every month.

Most annoying was when we would call the copier place for service, while we were late. We would have to do a check by phone before they would come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Last job had a $200k machine down for an extra 72 hours when the vendor wouldn't ship a $1k replacement part over an unpaid $200 invoice that we had shipped up for payment 4 times and had been kicked back by SoO because 'gently caress those guys'