Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

twoday posted:

So, these numbers were released by the central bureau of statistics to pretty much call out the Health Ministry’s numbers as bullshit. They haven’t been testing the dead for coronavirus so if you died at home, or before getting tested in the hospital, then it didn’t officially count.

If 1200 people died last week and not just 700, the real numbers are about twice what is being reported, which would put the Netherlands much closer to Italy or Spain in terms of death rate. (The Netherlands was already ranked number 3 globally in deaths per capita)

This is probably even an underestimate of the true number since shelter in place etc. actually decreases deaths from other common causes (e.g., traffic accidents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

wait what divoc

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

america is a dwarf fortress succession game and trump is the guy that thinks every thing is too boring and organized so he starts breaking stuff

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

yes you dummy stay home

i guess. i called it off. thanks internet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

There's a lot of academic work discussing de-policing, in particular replacing them with social workers and other municipal workers.

yeah, police for police poo poo, like detectivery; but social workers for the mentally ill, car crash response squads for car accidents - have been having marked success in quite a few places now.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Impkins Patootie posted:

wait what divoc

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
just a fuckin classic of the genre

https://twitter.com/UrbanTake_001/status/1156104727580614656

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Trump really hates Canada huh

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/fu9az0/trump_orders_medical_supply_firm_3m_to_stop/

quote:

Trump asks medical supply firm 3M to stop selling N95 respirators to Canada

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Doing a speedrun of the book of revelation

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
literally so stupid he took a bite out of his sandwich, looked down, said "WHO BIT MY SADNWICH!" and got someone fired over it and he's the dude who's going to figure out who broke into your house

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spoondick posted:

america is a dwarf fortress succession game and trump is the guy that thinks every thing is too boring and organized so he starts breaking stuff

lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Colonel J posted:

i guess. i called it off. thanks internet

con: corona chan won't forgive you for denying your dying fluid-filled lungs as her host

pro: same as con

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

stuffed crust punk posted:

App Man here

this is loving stupid, as are 90% of proposed app solutions

App Man here

"oh hey let's build a scalable system to replace hundreds of thousands of paper documents, get that tested, and get it in place in time to meet the needs of a current health crisis" seems fine to me

as long as you had that thought, like 24 months in advance of a health crisis, immediately funded it and had state departments put together hard requirements, and then did an absolutely fantastic job of building and scale testing something in a relatively tight time frame (of starting 24 months in advance of COVID)

are there any other problems you see here

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mdoukmas/status/1246091725661065217?s=21

lmao found the worm party

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

just use machine learning to pinpoint who is unemployed

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
"we're so up to our eyeballs in debt if our tenants stop paying for even a month the bank is going to repossess my children"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mr. Nice! posted:

fl is being punished because its voters were too racist to vote for a black man for governor.

florida was bigly voter suppressed iirc.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1246095110284214272?s=20

This is pretty similar to what they used to use in the Middle Ages instead of handcuffs, except the “man catcher” usually went around the neck

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

this is cool but isn't it kinda scary/weird too? any sailors want to comment on how insane it is for a captain of a loving aircraft carrier and half his crew to basically go rogue and ignore their chain of command?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

if you want to make sure coronvirus can't enter your airways, install small fans inside your bronchial tubes that point outward, creating a positive pressure environment that will save you from all sorts of disease. side effects are mild*.

*may include the inability to breathe.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

when you're hopped up on every steroid known to man and have a 3 second long memory and insane temper problems

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1246096972668440583

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

eric ciaramella posted:

florida was bigly voter suppressed iirc.

the biggest example of voter suppression was the ballot in broward county. the senator block was immediately under the tutorial section without a clear dividing line. something like 20k democratic ballots were blank in the senator election as a result. scott won by less than that.

gillum lost because of racism. democratic voters did not vote for him universally. bill nelson lost because of crafty voter suppression.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

mormons seem to be some of the least lovely republicans.

mountain republicans are legit better than any other. i'll take a utah, colorado, montana, or idaho republican over a southern one any day

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Cuomo smells the presidency

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Name and shame imho

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Schnorkles posted:

For real

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

He's a terrible person but he's not Joe Biden

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

D1E posted:

You have it all backwards, actually.

Cops don't become "bad" because of the poo poo they're exposed to on a daily basis.

Most people who want to become cops in the first place are sociopaths/psychopaths who crave being in a position of power and want to abuse others.

American police will shoot unarmed black men in the back, beat them to death, and rape women they pull over for traffic stops.

You're sweet and naive and I understand that you're not American. But you seriously have no clue what American police are like.

They are NOT here to protect and serve. That might have been the case fifty years ago - but not today.
True.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Schnorkles posted:

Really, anyone can though. His Depends are not changed nearly enough...

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dog Toothbrush posted:

this is cool but isn't it kinda scary/weird too? any sailors want to comment on how insane it is for a captain of a loving aircraft carrier and half his crew to basically go rogue and ignore their chain of command?

Who is/was ignoring their chain of command?

The captain requested assistance internally via their chain of command repeatedly. He explained that members of his crew were infected and the close quarters of shipboard life made infection spread inevitable. Shipboard medical is not equipped to deal with the effects of a pandemic like this.

The captain MAY OR MAY NOT have leaked those communications to the media. That is not clear and HAS NOT been proven. The end result however, was that once the media got ahold of it the military chain of command HAD to take action, and it's likely that lives were saved as a result.

It's just as likely that someone in Trump's administration leaked the communications.

The crew did nothing wrong here, and NO ONE mutinied.

People who have never served in the military fantasize about a Navy Commanding Officer going "rogue" and launching their nukes at America or whatever. That poo poo does not happen. In order to become the captain of a billion-dollar-plus warship these individuals have been vetted for decades.

If the captain DID leak the communications, then I respect the hell out of him. He sacrificed himself and his career for his crew.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Cspam would trip over they own buttholes to vote Cuomo instead of joe

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dustcat posted:

you're both right though, it's both a job that attracts bad people and a job that corrupts everyone who takes it on

rather than bad cops and good cops, we should be talking about bad police departments and less bad police departments

police departments are a reflection of the collective id of the surrounding community which is why they usually tend to be goddamn awful

I had a friend who went from teaching people with developmental disabilities to being an xray tech for the prison system in hopes of helping others from the inside. She was a really nice woman but after a while she turned cynical then when I finally cut her off she was basically a chud and a terf. I don't know if she was always like that deep down and being around other people who were openly lovely brought it out but watching her decent was awful as I'd known her for 25 years and she used to do stuff like feed the homeless and march for abortion rights. This is why I now have a strict "no friends" policy

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

landlords are unfortunately unable to save for a rainy day, as piles of turds are not legally allowed to open savings accounts

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

D1E posted:

Who is/was ignoring their chain of command?

The captain requested assistance internally via their chain of command repeatedly. He explained that members of his crew were infected and the close quarters of shipboard life made infection spread inevitable. Shipboard medical is not equipped to deal with the effects of a pandemic like this.

The captain MAY OR MAY NOT have leaked those communications to the media. That is not clear and HAS NOT been proven. The end result however, was that once the media got ahold of it the military chain of command HAD to take action, and it's likely that lives were saved as a result.

It's just as likely that someone in Trump's administration leaked the communications.

The crew did nothing wrong here, and NO ONE mutinied.

People who have never served in the military fantasize about a Navy Commanding Officer going "rogue" and launching their nukes at America or whatever. That poo poo does not happen. In order to become the captain of a billion-dollar-plus warship these individuals have been vetted for decades.

If the captain DID leak the communications, then I respect the hell out of him. He sacrificed himself and his career for his crew.

Yep. A key takehome point here is that the captain was fired because he went through the chain of command/the right channels.

Bringers of bad news are punished.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917917
welcome fellow posters

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Admiral Ray posted:

Cspam would trip over they own buttholes to vote Cuomo instead of joe

He's still a neolib piece of poo poo, but lol can you imagine if Cuomo beat Trump in a general election? He'd beat Don Jr to death on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Not sure how that would end up working, probably requires corona-chan knocking Biden and Sanders out of the running, but he's pretty clearly positioning himself to be the crisis candidate.