Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aeble posted:

How does that work? First few google hits doesn't tell me much.

You pay full price while screaming ”but I’m a stuuuudeeeent!!” at the passively uncaring order form before you

I’m sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants, I made a 60 second loop of the rooftop scene from Alyx that you can use as an animated Virtual Background for Zoom videochats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki58rtsw3zvwv7o/AlyxZoomLoop.mp4?dl=0

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

So I’ve still got my OG Oculus Rift and am wanting to upgrade this year sometime. Has there been may need or word on newer headsets either going on sale or new model Oculus? I was interested at one point in getting an Oculus Rift S, but it has apparently been sold out and the remaining ones are much higher in price.

Depends on your space & how you wanna use it, but the Rift S has been incredible for me, especially for flight simulators.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just gave Tetris Effect another go after a long break. Last time I tried it was right when Link first came out for the Quest and it was... not great. Had a lot of controller issues, stuttering and poo poo just not working with the game (on the epic store) trying to run through either Oculus or SteamVR. Anyways, I tried again tonight and whatever issues I had are gone. Game runs beautifully with no lag and no controller issues at all. It really is such a chill experience in VR you get completely lost on blocks and backgrounds.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone up for a goon room poker game tonight? Covid hold ‘em

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

If anyone wants, I made a 60 second loop of the rooftop scene from Alyx that you can use as an animated Virtual Background for Zoom videochats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki58rtsw3zvwv7o/AlyxZoomLoop.mp4?dl=0

This is really cool, thank you! :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone up for a goon room poker game tonight? Covid hold ‘em

Dooo it. Post the room name and password here

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

EbolaIvory posted:

If by quality you mean the "best features and technically best things like mic and headphones" sure.

If you mean by quality control. LOL no.

I had serious stick drift on my knuckles playing HL:A despite not touching them for months. I thought automatically backpedaling away from monsters while trying to reload was a feature for a hot minute. Trying to manipulate VLC player in BigScreen with either Index controller has it constantly resetting to video start and 0 volume while mousing over tabs in my browser instantly cycles through them, which was a lot of fun when I accidentally started 15 youtube tabs playing all at once before fumbling with the controller for a few minutes while a cacophony of noise (including Merzbow's Pulse Demon) was blasting into my ears before I ripped the headset off to deal with it at the keyboard. I only got this thing in November, too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

treat posted:

I had serious stick drift on my knuckles playing HL:A despite not touching them for months. I thought automatically backpedaling away from monsters while trying to reload was a feature for a hot minute. Trying to manipulate VLC player in BigScreen with either Index controller has it constantly resetting to video start and 0 volume while mousing over tabs in my browser instantly cycles through them, which was a lot of fun when I accidentally started 15 youtube tabs playing all at once before fumbling with the controller for a few minutes while a cacophony of noise (including Merzbow's Pulse Demon) was blasting into my ears before I ripped the headset off to deal with it at the keyboard. I only got this thing in November, too.

Yeah I have 5 or 6 people I know who have had to RMA headsets, not counting the people with multiple sets of controller issues.

Awesome kit, but yeah, expect an RMA or two.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any good HMD headsets on par with Oculus or Vive, or is the real battle still down to those two.

Honestly I really like my Odyssey Plus considering I got it for $200. The thread was too harsh on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mantis42 posted:

Honestly I really like my Odyssey Plus considering I got it for $200. The thread was too harsh on it.

It's not the headset that's the problem, it's the WMR controllers it's saddled with.

Speaking of controllers; Who wants a startup's idea for what're functionally Vive wands with finger tracking? The controllers everyone hates because they lack buttons? The idea's nice, but they're about 4 years out of date on input standardization for software. Also they're more expensive at $315USD for a SteamVR-compatible set.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 3, 2020

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Mantis42 posted:

Same here, I'm glad I picked it up when it was on sale. Couldn't be happier.

I don't have experience with other controllers so they haven't been a problem. Sometimes I instinctively click the Windows button instead of whatever menu button I intended, but that's about it. The tracking field is wider than I expected.

Actually, my biggest gripe is that I want to grab two pairs of rechargeable lithium-ion AAs for the controllers and all the brand names are like Powavolts or GoodFeely.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Odyssey+ is hands down the best value kit, there's just some caveats because particular games are nearly unplayable with the controller tracking. It also has a small sweetspot, a lot of light reflection in the lenses (so your room can't be too bright, but dark will mess with the tracking), and not much comfort adjustment. That said it's still one of the more comfortable headsets I've worn, least setup fuss of about anything, and a top-tier display especially if you want to do seated/spacesims, which its controller tracking is also great for. I also like the Odyssey+ controllers themselves other than the tracking, but I know that's a minority opinion.

Also: swappable AA rechargables.

It's the ideal, "I want to play through Alyx and log a lot of VR hours in Elite but spend less than $250" headset.

e: also the camera flashlight passthrough just works and is extremely useful, while with 7 USB controllers across 3 computers I have never gotten the Index camera passthrough to work well.

Breakfast All Day fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 3, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Guess I'm lucky my headset as well as both controllers work fine so far. Except for the clicking thing, I guess, but I rarely need to do that so far (really only to flip cards in Pokerstars).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, now I know why you can cover your mouth in HL:Alyx.

I hate you, Jeff. :stare:

Though it does underline that the "Primary Hand" thing is really bad design, because I just keep running into situations where I think "oh I'll just quickly use my free hand to shoot/interact while doing someth-i oh right :nallears:.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Realtalk, HL:Alyx in a lot of ways feels like a "babby's first VR game" except the babby designer in question got a big budget and a team to work with. There are so many terrible design decisions in that game I wonder if anyone at Valve even plays VR games.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jack Trades posted:

Realtalk, HL:Alyx in a lot of ways feels like a "babby's first VR game" except the babby designer in question got a big budget and a team to work with. There are so many terrible design decisions in that game I wonder if anyone at Valve even plays VR games.

Alyx started and had a majority of its design decisions finished and locked in before there were any modern VR games. Alyx started development before the Vive Pre was out.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Jack Trades posted:

There are some in the game that i wish more games would impliment. the gravity glove Flick wrist as the idea for pulling objects to yourself is such a powerful tool for Immersion, i feel like im interacting with real objects with that instead of point and zip to hand.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah and even if it does have some quirks, it does have the best level I've played of any game recently.

You already know I'm gonna say Jeff

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Alyx started and had a majority of its design decisions finished and locked in before there were any modern VR games. Alyx started development before the Vive Pre was out.

I don't like this argument because not all games that were started on that early ended up in a similar state. Their decisions were a result of having certain design philosophies about how VR should work, and while I agree that early on it was harder to know what was better and what was worse, they were clearly willing to change some things as time went on (adding climbing and smooth locomotion), I just wish they had started doing that earlier instead of tacking it on at the end

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The_Fuzzinator posted:

There are some in the game that i wish more games would impliment. the gravity glove Flick wrist as the idea for pulling objects to yourself is such a powerful tool for Immersion, i feel like im interacting with real objects with that instead of point and zip to hand.

i don't disagree that it could be viewed as more immersive, but i find it so much more practical and maybe fun? to just use the force and bring poo poo to your hand. for all its many other faults, Blade & Sorcery nailed that imo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alyx's combo of stick movement + smooth turning + you can still teleport is probably my favorite movement scheme so far. Only thing potentially better is something like Lone Echo, but that only really works for zero g environments.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Inacio posted:

i don't disagree that it could be viewed as more immersive, but i find it so much more practical and maybe fun? to just use the force and bring poo poo to your hand. for all its many other faults, Blade & Sorcery nailed that imo
i agree with B&S I like the force pull, particualarly because when it starts to get close i do feel like i still have to reach out and grab it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enos Cabell posted:

Alyx's combo of stick movement + smooth turning + you can still teleport is probably my favorite movement scheme so far. Only thing potentially better is something like Lone Echo, but that only really works for zero g environments.

Honestly this gets overlooked but its really great

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If it wasn't for Lone Echo, Alyx would blow my mind, but as it stands I think Lone Echo is still my number 1, it does a LOT of cool stuff

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alyx was intentionally designed to be accessible and playable by all, but most especially those who are brand new to VR and can’t handle something complicated and nausea inducing.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly this gets overlooked but its really great

Yep. I would like to be able to move just a tad faster with the sticks, but having both is comfy and good imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a console command that changes your on foot speed and your on foot speed in combat, which are apparently two different things

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The weapons system really throws me off. Its so un-VR, that it feels like payday 2 or some other flatscreen game that got a VR port. I can't remember the last VR game with weapons I've played where you don't at least also have a quickslot or 2 on your body to hold weapons. Having to menu every time, and having the gun glued to your hand whether you're holding it or not with your grip, when I just want to reach down and quick holster/unholster a weapon is far and away the most regressive thing in the game. The amount of times i've reached for something only to realize I still have a gun stuck to my hand, and then my instinctive response to holster it and let go doesn't do anything...

It doesn't ruin the game, but it feels incredibly anachronistic when VR games from 3 years ago were already universally letting you holster weapons on your body.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

The weapons system really throws me off. Its so un-VR, that it feels like payday 2 or some other flatscreen game that got a VR port. I can't remember the last VR game with weapons I've played where you don't at least also have a quickslot or 2 on your body to hold weapons. Having to menu every time, and having the gun glued to your hand whether you're holding it or not with your grip, when I just want to reach down and quick holster/unholster a weapon is far and away the most regressive thing in the game. The amount of times i've reached for something only to realize I still have a gun stuck to my hand, and then my instinctive response to holster it and let go doesn't do anything...

It doesn't ruin the game, but it feels incredibly anachronistic when VR games from 3 years ago were already universally letting you holster weapons on your body.

Half-Life: Alyx is an amazing VR masterpiece circa 2016. Everything in it feels like it was specced out based on common preconceptions about VR tolerances and UI four years ago, and never updated since during development.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

this! it's a really weird and game-y thing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half-Life: Alyx is an amazing VR masterpiece circa 2016. Everything in it feels like it was specced out based on common preconceptions about VR tolerances and UI four years ago, and never updated since during development.

most people can agree that alyx isn't great for its VR implementation, but for the rest of it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/vr_oasis/status/1246071584055373828

oh god I know this would be so prohibitively expensive but gently caress I bet it would be awesome

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I think this was rooted in the same thinking that made them insist that full body IK is a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVXhA0-TI4&t=619s

"At the end of the day we just found that as soon as we visualized that [referring to the IK] there were a set of problems for a bunch of other customers, and every time players start playing they don't seem to notice the moment they go into the game, it's always something spectators notice when they're watching someone else play but when they're in the game they just never comment on it" ????? this doesn't even make any sense and it's so not true, what playtesters were telling them these things? I don't get it. I'm not going to complain about it 24/7 and you aren't going to keep commenting "Boy I sure am glad I can't see my arms!" but having played a bunch of games with IK it's way better to have, not close

I think not having the IK makes it harder to choose to put stuff on your body because then it's floating in the air which also looks weird, so it feels like this caused them to go with the solution of floating weapon UI, which was the worst choice possible. Ugh. Even Budget Cuts did that better, with different floating tools but at least you had to push your controller into them and it felt tactile and neat.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I think this was rooted in the same thinking that made them insist that full body IK is a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVXhA0-TI4&t=619s

"At the end of the day we just found that as soon as we visualized that [referring to the IK] there were a set of problems for a bunch of other customers, and every time players start playing they don't seem to notice the moment they go into the game, it's always something spectators notice when they're watching someone else play but when they're in the game they just never comment on it" ????? this doesn't even make any sense and it's so not true, what playtesters were telling them these things? I don't get it. I'm not going to complain about it 24/7 and you aren't going to keep commenting "Boy I sure am glad I can't see my arms!" but having played a bunch of games with IK it's way better to have, not close

I think not having the IK makes it harder to choose to put stuff on your body because then it's floating in the air which also looks weird, so it feels like this caused them to go with the solution of floating weapon UI, which was the worst choice possible. Ugh. Even Budget Cuts did that better, with different floating tools but at least you had to push your controller into them and it felt tactile and neat.

Yeah, thats a minor annoyance of mine with it as well, but unfortunately the lack of a body and IK is still really prevalent in a lot of VR games.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I really like the teleport movement in Alyx and the menu for gun selection.With holster games I always forget where stuff is. I also like that you don't have to hold the grip button constantly.

I don't like the combat though, the enemies are bullet sponges and every fight is just hiding in cover and popping out when they reload, repeat 5x.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't mind seeing my body in cockpit games but I feel like it'd be really annoying in something like Alyx where you're free standing. Wouldn't it look really stupid for movement? Particularly on uneven ground.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cargohills posted:

I don't mind seeing my body in cockpit games but I feel like it'd be really annoying in something like Alyx where you're free standing. Wouldn't it look really stupid for movement? Particularly on uneven ground.

AAA games have been doing IK movement for ages now.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Which ones? I’ve not got a PC VR headset yet and on PSVR the only games I’ve played with visible bodies have been cockpit/fixed position based, like Star Trek Bridge Crew.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
They just didn't want to make another Trespasser where you stare at your/Alyxs' boobs to "check your health"

If anyone then gaben knows the inevitable consequences of having a female IK model...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

cargohills posted:

Blade and Sorcery gives you a body. It works very well, and feels way more natural than a floating hands approace.