Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

JFC that mortar. Here, have a game designed around tight formations, and now, have an enemy (-exclusive) unit type designed to punish tight formations

Wonder if it'll be on the same level of bullshit as necrosavants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They're an extremely rare enemy that only shows up in specific endgame encounters. Those are supposed to mix up the combat formula.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
"new late game crisis - holy war"
Did they mentioned it before and I missed it, or it's a first?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It was mentioned in one of the earliest announcements, yeah.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

"new late game crisis - holy war"
Did they mentioned it before and I missed it, or it's a first?

They mentioned it in an early DLC announcement but haven't provided any details.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Voyager I posted:

They're an extremely rare enemy that only shows up in specific endgame encounters. Those are supposed to mix up the combat formula.

No poo poo, Sherlock. Thought exercise: How would you counter the mechanic as described?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tentacles posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock. Thought exercise: How would you counter the mechanic as described?

Lategame archers who can pick off the engineers from distance, heavy armour to weather the small damage the mortar does in the meantime, a high-resolve sergeant to counteract the morale damage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You also have the option of closing to melee quickly so they can't safely lob an inaccurate area template at the place where your soldiers are concentrated.

Like c'mon dude you're raging in advance about an enemy we have no details about and that a typical campaign will probably fight 0-2 times while also namedropping Necrosavants of all things as the problem children of the opposing rosters.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The northern factions will probably get the catapult as well since they already have it modelled/in-game on those Orc siege maps.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Lategame archers who can pick off the engineers from distance, heavy armour to weather the small damage the mortar does in the meantime, a high-resolve sergeant to counteract the morale damage.

Thank you sexypants. The clincher here is that they're fielded behind large armies, which means we''ll be doing all that while fighting superior numbers under that Shellshocked debuff (no idea if Rally removes)

Put together with the typical Battle Bros RNG and I see many many beloved bros going byebye :sadwave:

Voyager I posted:

You also have the option of closing to melee quickly so they can't safely lob an inaccurate area template at the place where your soldiers are concentrated.

Like c'mon dude you're raging in advance about an enemy we have no details about and that a typical campaign will probably fight 0-2 times while also namedropping Necrosavants of all things as the problem children of the opposing rosters.

Who's raging? It's called theorycrafting, which the poster above you actually got. How many misguided white knights does this thread have?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

tentacles posted:

JFC that mortar. Here, have a game designed around tight formations, and now, have an enemy (-exclusive) unit type designed to punish tight formations

Wonder if it'll be on the same level of bullshit as necrosavants

Seems pretty ragey to me, my dude, and totally not "just theory crafting".

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Seems pretty ragey to me, my dude, and totally not "just theory crafting".

Hey man. I grew up in the Valley. Cussing's like, my mode of expression.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean without knowing anything more than a basic blog post, they gave us enough to be sure that the mortar has both strengths and weaknesses. Like sure it's an AOE that can fire from anywhere on the map and inflicts an extra debuff to your guys, but it also only fires every other turn, is extremely inaccurate, can't move to get out of arrow range or run away from melee bros, and only does "moderate physical damage" plus a morale hit. You may have to adjust your tactics to minimize damage (for example, bringing more frontliners to spread your guys out instead of being tightly packed together, or even not having a solid frontline as you normally would, so that your guys are even more spread out and let more opponents through to soak up AOE damage targeting your guys) but it doesn't sound unmanageable, especially since the big AOE and inaccuracy likely means it will harm your opponents a lot of the time as well and the engineers in the image don't look very arrow-resistant.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Also remember that City State armies don't field conventional ranged units, so your archers will have the option of pushing forwards more aggressively to headhunt Engineers without having to worry about getting focused down by a dozen crossbowmen.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I mean without knowing anything more than a basic blog post, they gave us enough to be sure that the mortar has both strengths and weaknesses. Like sure it's an AOE that can fire from anywhere on the map and inflicts an extra debuff to your guys, but it also only fires every other turn, is extremely inaccurate, can't move to get out of arrow range or run away from melee bros, and only does "moderate physical damage" plus a morale hit. You may have to adjust your tactics to minimize damage (for example, bringing more frontliners to spread your guys out instead of being tightly packed together, or even not having a solid frontline as you normally would, so that your guys are even more spread out and let more opponents through to soak up AOE damage targeting your guys) but it doesn't sound unmanageable, especially since the big AOE and inaccuracy likely means it will harm your opponents a lot of the time as well and the engineers in the image don't look very arrow-resistant.

You keep that up and they'll make them fire-friendly proof for the holy warriors

Having a fluid frontline works in real theaters of engagement but usually spells hard wipes for my company except against certain encounters (necrosavants, Alps, anything with weird AI/engagement mechanics)

it'll be interesting to see how it matches up against a mixed force backed by gently caress-off big gonnes

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sounds like nimble archers will be killing/tanking AOE gun boys

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if the mortars will encourage a specialized lone wolf brother. Enage your main troop with the front lines, then specialezed lone wolf brother goes after mortar.

Granted thats the only reason I see lone wolf being immediately useful (besides the scenario and the barbarian Lord event)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I kind of wish they could figure out horses / cavalry tbh

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I wonder how the terrain in the desert is going to be. Uniform flat, sand dunes, quick sand pits, etc.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if the mortars will encourage a specialized lone wolf brother. Enage your main troop with the front lines, then specialezed lone wolf brother goes after mortar.

Granted thats the only reason I see lone wolf being immediately useful (besides the scenario and the barbarian Lord event)

Southpaugh posted:

sounds like nimble archers will be killing/tanking AOE gun boys

So far these seem to be the most viable counters against what looks to be a big "you lose" button from the devs. The lone wolf bro strategy already works in fights with necromancers, but it's interesting in that the devs had the AI prioritising meatshields for those – plus powering through the Weiderganger frontline is relatively straightforward in comparison

Nimble archer has merit for a build I never use otherwise. Brings to mind rogues with improved evasion from D&D for some reason. Less survivable than lone wolf melee bro. Interesting datum: Nimble doesn't affect damage from status effects. We can only hope that mortar damage and the Shellshocked debuff are applied separately

Thinking about the two strats, maybe... a... lone wolf nimble archer? Seems like a huge investment for a rare encounter most players would rather avoid, given that good archers are one of Battle Bros' rarer resources

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything i'm just annoyed that it seems like i can't get one myself.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dogstile posted:

:hmmyes:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Would be an interesting counter to the old 'sixteen Goblins on a hill' encounter.

tentacles posted:

what looks to be a big "you lose" button from the devs.

Okay

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2020

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Latest dev blog just came out and, well there is no easy way to say this, but the city states get mortars.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Back Hack posted:

Latest dev blog just came out and, well there is no easy way to say this, but the city states get mortars.

It's okay. I'll counter with the mortar in my pants

It, too, fires only every other round

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Picked this up a few days ago - game owns, can barely put it down.

Went exploring the wilds yesterday and ended up getting ambushed by undead. This is the fight in which I found out what 'necrosavants' are - two of them ripped my backline to shreds and none of my 3 archers made it. RIP

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mashed Potato posted:

Picked this up a few days ago - game owns, can barely put it down.

Went exploring the wilds yesterday and ended up getting ambushed by undead. This is the fight in which I found out what 'necrosavants' are - two of them ripped my backline to shreds and none of my 3 archers made it. RIP

Yeah don't bring archers to a necrosavant fight. Whips are your friend though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dogstile posted:

As someone who played a lot of Warhammer: Dark Omen back in the day: :same:

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah don't bring archers to a necrosavant fight. Whips are your friend though.

Are whips from a DLC? I've only got the base game at the moment and haven't seen any yet - I'm about 95 days in if that matters.

Planning to start a new game later this week and grab the two DLC - are they both worth it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mashed Potato posted:

Are whips from a DLC? I've only got the base game at the moment and haven't seen any yet - I'm about 95 days in if that matters.

Planning to start a new game later this week and grab the two DLC - are they both worth it?

They were added in a dlc yes. The dlc is very, very worth it. There is a third one out shortly.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I like archers as bait in necro fights. I set the archer formation up as points on a star, and when necros engage my archers I rotate them inside the star with my Frontline Bros. Then the archers can fire and assist with the Frontline, or if I've made hybrids just quick change to the polearm and start thwacking.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Donkringel posted:

I like archers as bait in necro fights. I set the archer formation up as points on a star, and when necros engage my archers I rotate them inside the star with my Frontline Bros. Then the archers can fire and assist with the Frontline, or if I've made hybrids just quick change to the polearm and start thwacking.

You can do this same thing but with melee bros who are better at taking hits. Necros don't care who it is they're attacking, they just care about teleporting to whoever they can surround the easiest. You can trick them into surrounding a greatsword bro in full plate or a shieldbro with 60 MDef if you just stick that bro on the corner of your formation.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I think I could go without the dlcs tbh.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
The lindwurm DLC is take it or leave it but I don't think there is any reason not too since it's free IIRC. You can get the DLC and still not see Lindwurms during a whole campaign sometimes but it's nice having the challenge if you like. Beasts and Exploration is kind of meh but mostly a positive in my experience - armor attachments are probably my favorite add-on, along with the spiders. Warriors of the North is amazing and a must-have IMO, but maybe you don't need it your first few campaigns. It's all so good though! New events, factions, company origins (my favorite), weapons, armor and a bitchin' soundtrack to boot!

This game's dollar value is unreal - I have almost 1000 hours played and my next most played in XCOM 2 with like 200. If it wasn't for flushing so many hours into Diablo 2 during high school, BBros would be my most played game by a country mile.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The legend mod makes rare enemies more frequent, and you tend to see lindwurms fairly early. The problem is the algorithm tends to make you fight 5+ of them, which is not so fun

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Legends isn't really that great. It has a lot of fun ideas mixed into it, but like most of these huge overhaul mods, they're mixed in with a lot of bad ones and 'bigger numbers make it cooler'.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I definitely agree with you in principle, but it has helped to shake things up a bit and give something new from the game for me. Some of the changes certainly make it more difficult, like specific class trees for different backgrounds instead of a universal perk list.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, it's certainly fun to play with for awhile. I just wish I could take some of the interesting new weapons and stuff and just play with those instead of having everything.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Legends is like the Long War 2 of BBro mods, some good ideas muddled by grognarding everything else to heck. I got exhausted just looking at the armor layer system. I feel like two armor slots + attachments is pretty good - might be cool if they added helmet mods maybe but no way do I want each guy to have 5 layers of armor to wade through

Also reiterating I really hope they consider doing a balance pass on the perks though, meta builds are pretty stale now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I kind of wish they could figure out horses / cavalry tbh

There's the goblin wolf riders. If they wanted human-sized cavalry on war horses, they could probably just use that code and give them knockback attacks like the Unholds/Orcs have.