Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/dbather92/status/1246108177667670020?s=20

Scottish Labour is a worthless husk that should be left to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Mum called to say she was collecting her online shopping and as soon as they drove away an old lady across the street came out to shout and swear at her for getting food delivery. loving curtain twitchers, she has no idea about her situation and whether she "needs" online food deliveries or not. Now of course mum feels dreadful and unsafe because of it.
We will be our own police state.
Anyways just had to vent a little.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deketh posted:

Mum called to say she was collecting her online shopping and as soon as they drove away an old lady across the street came out to shout and swear at her for getting food delivery. loving curtain twitchers, she has no idea about her situation and whether she "needs" online food deliveries or not. Now of course mum feels dreadful and unsafe because of it.

How the gently caress else is she meant to get food? Would granny prefer your mum went to the shops and potentially spread disease?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

This pandemic has vindicated my visceral hatred of cruise ships, utter abominations that they are. If I were in charge I would force every one of them to be renamed to The Diarrhea Princess and every person who pays to go on one must for one year thereafter wear a dunce's cap (but the D means diarrhea instead) and a big placard about their person for to warn the general public that they are a dangerously stupid moron :mad:

My mum was supposed to be going on The Diamond Princess for 10 days late April, gift from a wealthy relative.
I don't think people really thought about the bug possibilities before apart from the occasional food poisoning tearing through. Not sure she'll be up for a cruise in future!
Her and dad went on quite a lot of cruises in the last few years of his life.

Years ago, a friend and I took a windowless bunk in the bottom of the Hurtigruten for a couple of days to get from Bergen to Trondheim.
We took a box of cornflakes, some milk, a loaf of bread and some cheese. And we would go on deck during meal times and push our noses against the dining room windows to watch the wealthy cruise goers doing the full coast of Norway 11 days cruise stuffing three course meals down themselves.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Bardeh posted:

How the gently caress else is she meant to get food? Would granny prefer your mum went to the shops and potentially spread disease?

No idea. I'm assuming the old lady is stressed to gently caress and having a terrible day, maybe just angry that someone got a delivery slot while she's been struggling... I'm hoping she's not gonna be spreading poo poo around town or on facebook or whatever. Mum has a big anxiety problem and this is the last thing she needs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1245752934324936704

All the cancelled surgeries. All the hardship that healthcare services fought. Just puffs off into smoke because it never loving mattered.

I'm unspeakably loving angry about this poo poo just sliding under the radar. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this thread who has lost years of their life waiting for defunded mental health services, and now it's all shown to be the obvious bullshit we knew it was and no one loving cares.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Deketh posted:

My dad is self-employed, he does the gardens for people, most of it is just cutting the grass for old folks but 2 days a week he maintains the large estate at a Speyside distillery, where he works with 3 other people doing it. He's still doing that because he apparently counts as an essential worker, but 1 of the guys he works with at the distillery has decided to call off because the same poo poo happened to him: he was going to his car and some nosey neighbour came out to yell at him and rather than tell him to gently caress off he's been cowed into not coming out. (I'm not convinced he actually does count as an essential worker but I also get that he's self-employed and the bills don't stop just because he has to so I'm not going to argue it with him. He's a grown man) Where as my temptation if someone were to do that to me while going out for a walk is to yell back at them to mind their own loving business & if they think I shouldn't be going out then they can call the polis.

Anyway, it's easy to see how the Stasi had so many enforcers. So many folk are natural busybodies. (Not enforcers, snitches. I'm a dumb dumb)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 3, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

crispix posted:

This pandemic has vindicated my visceral hatred of cruise ships, utter abominations that they are. If I were in charge I would force every one of them to be renamed to The Diarrhea Princess and every person who pays to go on one must for one year thereafter wear a dunce's cap (but the D means diarrhea instead) and a big placard about their person for to warn the general public that they are a dangerously stupid moron :mad:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mum was supposed to be going on The Diamond Princess for 10 days late April, gift from a wealthy relative.
I don't think people really thought about the bug possibilities before apart from the occasional food poisoning tearing through. Not sure she'll be up for a cruise in future!
Her and dad went on quite a lot of cruises in the last few years of his life.

Years ago, a friend and I took a windowless bunk in the bottom of the Hurtigruten for a couple of days to get from Bergen to Trondheim.
We took a box of cornflakes, some milk, a loaf of bread and some cheese. And we would go on deck during meal times and push our noses against the dining room windows to watch the wealthy cruise goers doing the full coast of Norway 11 days cruise stuffing three course meals down themselves.

I probably shouldn't tell you two who I work for then... :ohdear:

It's been a really weird situation. One of our sister companies has been hit massively, we've not been so much (although one of the ships has now reported cases, that's the first). Obviously all our cruises for the next few months are cancelled and people are cancelling them this year, but bookings for next year are still at the same (or increased) levels. Some people who are on board the ships that are under quarantine are even rebooking cruises for the future. Apparently it's a hell of a drug.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

My dad is self-employed, he does the gardens for people, most of it is just cutting the grass for old folks but 2 days a week he maintains the large estate at a Speyside distillery, where he works with 3 other people doing it. He's still doing that because he apparently counts as an essential worker, but 1 of the guys he works with at the distillery has decided to call off because the same poo poo happened to him: he was going to his car and some nosey neighbour came out to yell at him and rather than tell him to gently caress off he's been cowed into not coming out. (I'm not convinced he actually does count as an essential worker but I also get that he's self-employed and the bills don't stop just because he has to so I'm not going to argue it with him. He's a grown man) Where as my temptation if someone were to do that to me while going out for a walk is to yell back at them to mind their own loving business & if they think I shouldn't be going out then they can call the polis.

Anyway, it's easy to see how the Stasi had so many enforcers. So many folk are natural busybodies.

She takes it to heart, just like I do. It sucks that some people are responding to the crisis in this way, it is easy to see how the descent can begin. Just gently caress off and be cool honestly

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

EvilHawk posted:

Some people who are on board the ships that are under quarantine are even rebooking cruises for the future. Apparently it's a hell of a drug.

I went on one with my ex and it was loving awesome, we booked our next cruise while on it. I can totally understand why people do it, and the incentives to book while you’re on them are big.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I live in Jackie Bailie's constituency and her name is absolute mud here.

As you'd expect for being an outspoken unionist in one of the four constituencies that voted a majority in favour of independence.

SLab is the dirt loving worst.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Bill Withers died. :( (Not of the rona from the looks of it).

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Junior G-man posted:

I used 100% bread flour (i think? I'm in Switzerland and what they sell here is what I think is bread flour but it doesn't translate very well), and used this recipe:

Which bit of Switzerland? I'm currently bravely hiding in Valais.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I appreciate how Jo Swinsons wikipedia page ends at the 2019 election. As if after the Tory victory the dark lord reclaimed her soul and her mortal shell just turned to dust on the spot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is it just a statistical wrinkle caused by the small sample size that so far four doctors but only two nurses have died of COVID? I'd have thought nurses, who are more numerous and spend a lot more time close to/in contact with patients, would have had a much larger toll. I suppose against that doctors are older and much more male than nurses, both of which put them at higher risk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

I appreciate how Jo Swinsons wikipedia page ends at the 2019 election. As if after the Tory victory the dark lord reclaimed her soul and her mortal shell just turned to dust on the spot.

Consigned to Notability Limbo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://chuka.org.uk/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not clicking on this just in case it's *not* a redirect to goatse.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

quote:

He stood as the Liberal Democrats’ candidate in the Cities of London and Westminster in the 2019 General Election, in which he was endorsed by The Economist and The Observer newspapers and by people from across the political spectrum including the former Conservative Deputy Prime Minister, Lord Michael Heseltine. Though he was not elected, whilst the Conservative MP lost 6.7% of their vote in the seat, he almost trebled the Lib Dem share of the vote increasing it by 19.6%.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is it just a statistical wrinkle caused by the small sample size that so far four doctors but only two nurses have died of COVID? I'd have thought nurses, who are more numerous and spend a lot more time close to/in contact with patients, would have had a much larger toll. I suppose against that doctors are older and much more male than nurses, both of which put them at higher risk.

n=6 isn't enough to say very much. Maybe also docs are doing the high risk procedures, and at least the first couple were respiratory physicians which maybe fits with getting it doing intubations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

That’s a very Cuckka thing for him to write

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, it's easy to see how the Stasi had so many enforcers. So many folk are natural busybodies. (Not enforcers, snitches. I'm a dumb dumb)
I've been doing a lot of reading about the occupation of France, and while the romantic image is that French citizens were all hard at work undermining or actively fighting the Nazis and their Vichy stooges, the reality was that a terrifying number immediately started grassing up their neighbours for anything they could think of. (And a fair few cheerfully joined organisations like the Milice to crack their fellow citizens' skulls on behalf of the fash.)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1245757875206709252

Edit: Bonus tweet.

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1245004139505033216

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Looke posted:

That’s a very Cuckka thing for him to write

You can join vitamin P and gently caress off with that terminology

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Payndz posted:

I've been doing a lot of reading about the occupation of France, and while the romantic image is that French citizens were all hard at work undermining or actively fighting the Nazis and their Vichy stooges, the reality was that a terrifying number immediately started grassing up their neighbours for anything they could think of. (And a fair few cheerfully joined organisations like the Milice to crack their fellow citizens' skulls on behalf of the fash.)

People respond to power.

It's why Labour sucks a lot right now. Moral high ground, but they keep holding on to modernism and postmodernism in a world where the might of nihilism keeps proving itself right over and over.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What does that even mean?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It means attempts to appropriate the concept of strength into anything but the traditional concept of strength (military and social coercion) have proven themselves weak in contemporary politics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I live in Jackie Bailie's constituency and her name is absolute mud here.

As you'd expect for being an outspoken unionist in one of the four constituencies that voted a majority in favour of independence.

SLab is the dirt loving worst.
You say that but even at a time when ScotLab are loving woeful she got 40% in Dumbarton in 2016, one of 2 seats that Labour won at the constituency level.

Payndz posted:

It's one of those things where everyone claims to have been in La Résistance and clearly that wasn't the case. I always found it interesting that Mitterand still had a career and became President despite his active collaboration with the Vichy regime until 1943.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Payndz posted:

If you can find it anywhere, The Sorrow and the Pity is still an amazing watch, 50 years on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Deketh posted:

No idea. I'm assuming the old lady is stressed to gently caress and having a terrible day, maybe just angry that someone got a delivery slot while she's been struggling... I'm hoping she's not gonna be spreading poo poo around town or on facebook or whatever

If she's shouting at people she might be spreading something around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2azcn7MqOU&t=149s

they're not sure how much this matters yet, but it would explain things like people getting infected from being on a bus 30 mins after a contagious person. Masks are looking more and more like a pro move if you're out

e- ok can't embed it but all the other versions are really low quality, and this is about being able to see fine detail :/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

If she's shouting at people she might be spreading something around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2azcn7MqOU&t=149s

they're not sure how much this matters yet, but it would explain things like people getting infected from being on a bus 30 mins after a contagious person. Masks are looking more and more like a pro move if you're out

e- ok can't embed it but all the other versions are really low quality, and this is about being able to see fine detail :/

Where can you get masks though? I've seen a couple of people in town with really fancy things that look like something from an alien landscape, I googled and cost about £60 each and a few with paper masks but nowhere that sells them.

I'm making do with a double wrapped cotton scarf or if I forget, a handkerchief clutched to my face if I walk past anyone. Fortunately, the places I'm doing my daily walk I see almost no one else.

I haven't watched the vid, but I noticed the discourse around the virus being airborne, but not really aerosols , or drops hanging round in the air etc etc and I thought to myself - the subtle distinction between 'aerosols' and 'airborne' is irrelevant to most people.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 3, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/thattimwalker/status/1246095408297922560?s=21

lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm doing that folding@home thing and the prof who I think runs it posted this:

https://twitter.com/drGregBowman/status/1246106316864708608?s=20

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Looks like it's squatting

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That video's more about showing how clouds of microdroplets end up basically suspended in the air, in place, unless you have sufficient airflow to move them. And just talking loudly can produce them, so if it's possible for the virus to cling to those, that's another potential infection vector. Either way, avoiding going out and being in places without good ventilation is probably a good shout

there's a video here about producing masks that's been passed around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-29VBkGmw

it's basically paper towels, tissue paper, and some stuff to hold it together and in place. The face shield is there to avoid people coughing in your face, but just the mask is better than nothing so long as you replace it regularly, or if someone coughs on it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I started streaming UKMT approved game Disco Elysium on the podcast twitch last week, if anyone wants to join us I'm about to start streaming more over at https://twitch.tv/praxiscast

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ThomasPaine posted:

It can also work but just be pretty poo poo at its job. One of my best pals told me a while back that she had to have heart surgery as a kid because she was born with some issue that meant there was a hole between two of the ventricles. Had to get something put in I think but she's as healthy as any other 30 year old afaik now.

My daughter being under a year old and needing similar heart surgery is why we're on the vulnerable people list. I'm hoping the bcg injection she had at birth (plus being a kid in general) provides her with some defence as was briefly reported a while ago

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Payndz posted:

In the period between the fall of France in mid-1940 and the German invasion of the USSR in mid-1941, the French communists found themselves in the curious position of rationalizing the conquest of France

This they proceeded to do with great energy (revolutionary defeatism was still in living memory; it wasn't completely implausible). You see, it was regrettable that war had broken out at all, but it was an Anglo-French imperialism that provoked the war. This did not mean supporting fascism. But it meant that the fascists were not to be fought. Instead imperialism and capitalism were to be the main enemy (by which one means the English imperialists, not the German imperialists).

quote:

4 July 1940, L'Humanité:

LE PEUPLE DE FRANCE VEUT LA PAIX. Il demande d’énergiques mesures contre tous ceux qui, par ordre de l’Angleterre impérialiste, voudraient entraîner les Français dans la guerre.

THE PEOPLE OF FRANCE WANT PEACE. They demand that energetic measures be taken against those all those, on order of the English imperialists, who would like to drag the French people back into the war.

Il est particulièrement réconfortant en ces temps de malheur de voir de nombreux travailleurs parisiens s’entretenir avec les soldats allemands, soit dans la rue, soit au bistro du coin. Bravo camarades, continuez même si cela ne plaît pas à certains bourgeois aussi stupides que malfaisants ! La fraternité des peuples ne sera pas toujours une espérance, elle deviendra une réalité vivante.

It is particularly comforting, in these unhappy times, to see so many Parisian workers engage in friendly relations with the German soldiers, whether it be in the street, or the neighbourhood bistro. Well done, comrades. Keep it up, even if it upsets certain members of our bourgeoisie who are as stupid as they are evil! The brotherhood of the people will not always be a distant hope, it will become a living reality.

This kind of writing would become rapidly embarrassing after Operation Barbarossa and the PCF rapidly turned toward the resistance (whereupon it promptly shut up about l'Angleterre impérialiste). It is nonetheless remarkable to observe just how easy rationalization is.

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 3, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Maugrim posted:

My daughter being under a year old and needing similar heart surgery is why we're on the vulnerable people list. I'm hoping the bcg injection she had at birth (plus being a kid in general) provides her with some defence as was briefly reported a while ago

Speaking of the BCG, I think I'm the only person who it just healed up for no problem at all. Some (lots of!) people I know have loving craters in their arms from that poo poo, but you'd never know I'd ever had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm doing that folding@home thing and the prof who I think runs it posted this:

https://twitter.com/drGregBowman/status/1246106316864708608?s=20
Getting my lungs infiltrated by a roast chicken