Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Katt posted:

Corona chart:

Baltic Sea:
Latvia:493
Lithuania: 696
Estonia: 961
Finland: 1,615
Denmark: 3,672

North Sea:
Sweden: 6,078
United Kingdom: 38,168
Germany: 87,244

Northern Atlantic:
Svalbard: 0
Greenland: 10
Faroe Islands: 179
Iceland: 1,364
Norway: 5,296
Why do you keep up with this insane trolling?? Sweden is not on the North Sea, and never has been!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do you keep up with this insane trolling?? Sweden is not on the North Sea, and never has been!

https://imgur.com/GensaJ9 :sweden:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think A Buttery Pastry was born on the shores of Ladoga because they sound like a real Nöteborgare.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 3, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Those territories either don't border the North Sea, or were territories under the Swedish king but not part of Sweden itself!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
If anything, referring to the Stormaktstiden only strenghtens Swedens case as a Baltic nation.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Falukorv posted:

If anything, referring to the Stormaktstiden only strenghtens Swedens case as a Baltic nation.

The Baltic nation list is full I'm afraid. Nothing I can do.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

After ravaging the Swedish east coast. Corona finally hit the west coast in full force but results are a lot less severe than expected so far. Speculation is that all those middle class people who were quick to bring Corona to Stockholm in droves from their ski trips ended up sacrificing the capital to give Gothenburg time to prepare.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Katt posted:

After ravaging the Swedish east coast. Corona finally hit the west coast in full force but results are a lot less severe than expected so far. Speculation is that all those middle class people who were quick to bring Corona to Stockholm in droves from their ski trips ended up sacrificing the capital to give Gothenburg time to prepare.
The post-Corona capital of Scandinavia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Katt posted:

Corona chart:

Baltic Sea:
Latvia:493
Lithuania: 696
Estonia: 961
Finland: 1,615
Denmark: 3,672

North Sea:

Northern Atlantic:
Svalbard: 0
Greenland: 10
Faroe Islands: 179
Iceland: 1,364
Norway: 5,296

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Germany has a longer coastline on the Baltic than on the North Sea too, its current category seems a little suspect. I suggest adding the Netherlands if you want to fill out the North Sea league a bit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

big scary monsters posted:

Germany has a longer coastline on the Baltic than on the North Sea too, its current category seems a little suspect. I suggest adding the Netherlands if you want to fill out the North Sea league a bit.

Deal.

North Sea:
Netherlands: 15,723

How much of a North Sea cost does France have?

I see some coast line! I see it!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Honestly, sometimes the simplest trolls are the most entertaining, especially when people get so riled up over it.

On a different topic, has this been discussed yet?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/regeringen-ber-om-storre-makt

"Regeringen vill med anledning av coronakrisen få makt att fatta beslut kopplade till pandemin utan att behöva gå via riksdagen. De har sökt stöd hos oppositionen för att få igenom en lagrådsremiss – men mött på motstånd från Moderaterna. en promemoria från Socialdepartementet till oppositionen, som SVT har tagit del av, beskrivs ett utkast till en lagrådsremiss. Den innehåller förslag om att ge regeringen tillfällig befogenhet att meddela vissa föreskrifter för att stävja spridningen av covid-19 – utan att behöva vända sig till riksdagen.

I promemorian står det att regeringen föreslås få rätt att ta snabba beslut om att bland annat införa tillfälliga begränsningar för folksamlingar, stänga köpcentrum, nattklubbar och restauranger och att införa restriktioner för transportsektorn.

Regleringen ska om den träder i kraft vara tillfällig och föreslås gälla mellan april 2020 och september 2020."

Never let a good crisis go to waste, I suppose.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

McCloud posted:

Honestly, sometimes the simplest trolls are the most entertaining, especially when people get so riled up over it.

On a different topic, has this been discussed yet?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/regeringen-ber-om-storre-makt

"Regeringen vill med anledning av coronakrisen få makt att fatta beslut kopplade till pandemin utan att behöva gå via riksdagen. De har sökt stöd hos oppositionen för att få igenom en lagrådsremiss – men mött på motstånd från Moderaterna. en promemoria från Socialdepartementet till oppositionen, som SVT har tagit del av, beskrivs ett utkast till en lagrådsremiss. Den innehåller förslag om att ge regeringen tillfällig befogenhet att meddela vissa föreskrifter för att stävja spridningen av covid-19 – utan att behöva vända sig till riksdagen.

I promemorian står det att regeringen föreslås få rätt att ta snabba beslut om att bland annat införa tillfälliga begränsningar för folksamlingar, stänga köpcentrum, nattklubbar och restauranger och att införa restriktioner för transportsektorn.

Regleringen ska om den träder i kraft vara tillfällig och föreslås gälla mellan april 2020 och september 2020."

Never let a good crisis go to waste, I suppose.
"Access" or the capability to enact a quick response. Not an actual quick response. Create the appearance of doing something while doing nothing. Genius!

https://twitter.com/javierblas/status/1237492620588470272

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just close the drat border, this Malmö connection is gonna be an open wound letting uncontrolled Swedish infection run wild in Copenhagen and then the rest of Denmark. Alternatively, if they insist on keeping the border open to commuters, then isolate Zealand from the rest of Denmark.
I am happy to report that the government has listened to my suggestion, and explored the legality of doing so. For now it is unfortunately still just a threat, but there are no legal barriers, and the government seems to hope that the threat of internal borders is enough to encourage people to stay home so as to not end up stranded away from home.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ted hitler hunter posted:

"Access" or the capability to enact a quick response. Not an actual quick response. Create the appearance of doing something while doing nothing. Genius!

It’s the Swedish way. Instead of doing something we need to first tillsätta en utredning to form consensus around an utskott.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Denmark has a land border with Germany and the rest of Central Europe. They should close the border between Denmark and Sweden to protect Sweden :v:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
LOL looks like many swedes in this thread yearns for a big-daddy lockdown, not surprised. Save the boomers! gently caress the poors, the immigrants and the homeless! White liberal supremacy must go on!

Yes I know this is a controversial take, and what might come after is scary. But chill, the next election is scary enough already.

Edit: Lagom is the way of the swedes.

(btw I think people should distance themselves or whatever and take this seriously, not happy seeing loads of people in slottskogen yesterday)

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 4, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Zombiepop posted:

LOL looks like many swedes in this thread yearns for a big-daddy lockdown, not surprised. Save the boomers! gently caress the poors, the immigrants and the homeless! White liberal supremacy must go on!

Yes I know this is a controversial take, and what might come after is scary. But chill, the next election is scary enough already.

Numbers from other countries show that mortality among the marginalized are higher than the middle and upper classes... and one story I heard was that families of Somalian descents have been hit especially hard in Sweden, due to a higher average number of individuals under the same roof.

I don't about Sweden, but in Denmark it's the wealthy and the middle class who want society to reopen, so they can get back to their comfy lifestyle and try to pretend the economy will magically recover... the working class is already at work and exposed like no others.

So it's not a controversial take - it's an incorrect take. The poors, immigrants and homeless are the ones who'll die in the greatest numbers alongside the elderly, who are not "boomers".

I know many Swedes think that a lockdown increases inequality, but that's entirely up to how you structure the aid packages.

I guess that in the aftermath of a 10% reduction in the population of Sweden, the disadvantaged will prosper.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yes of course, have you looked how the economy is structured in the world? Its always the poor dying? Corona or no Corona. Your cellphone got loving blood on its screen. Not saying people should do nothing, just keep it cool and keep it lagom.

Swedes is roughly twice as many people as denmark and we got roughly twice the amount of corona patients, the death numbers are higher here but that could be for a multitude of reasons, we dont know yet, and its a small country so I can see how a lockdown was a better choice for denmark, and I wouldnt mind a lockdown in sthlm...

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 4, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Zombiepop posted:

Yes of course, have you looked how the economy is structured in the world? Its always the poor dying? Corona or no Corona. Your cellphone got loving blood on its screen. Not saying people should do nothing, just keep it cool and keep it lagom.

Swedes is roughly twice as many people as denmark and we got roughly twice the amount of corona patients, the death numbers are higher here but that could be for a multitude of reasons, we dont know yet, and its a small country so I can see how a lockdown was a better choice for denmark, and I wouldnt mind a lockdown in sthlm...

Yes, a lockdown is mostly for urban areas. But in places like England the rich have fled London and brought Corona into the countryside. I don't think you want people fleeing Stockholm and spreading it to tiny communities without infrastructure to handle outbreaks. In Lombardy at one point more people died daily waiting for ambulances than in hospitals.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Should be atleast, lol they already fled to the country, so that damage is done.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PederP posted:

Numbers from other countries show that mortality among the marginalized are higher than the middle and upper classes... and one story I heard was that families of Somalian descents have been hit especially hard in Sweden, due to a higher average number of individuals under the same roof.

I don't about Sweden, but in Denmark it's the wealthy and the middle class who want society to reopen, so they can get back to their comfy lifestyle and try to pretend the economy will magically recover... the working class is already at work and exposed like no others.

So it's not a controversial take - it's an incorrect take. The poors, immigrants and homeless are the ones who'll die in the greatest numbers alongside the elderly, who are not "boomers".

I know many Swedes think that a lockdown increases inequality, but that's entirely up to how you structure the aid packages.

I guess that in the aftermath of a 10% reduction in the population of Sweden, the disadvantaged will prosper.

It will not be a 10% reduction in population, only 6-7% will require hospital care and not all will die at the hospital. The real death rate is likely sub 2% of the population even with a greatly strained hospital system as the infected in need of care will get staggered out over time. It will not change the Swedish demographics in any way that is noticable for any part of the population not directly involved in elderly care.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

(btw I think people should distance themselves or whatever and take this seriously, not happy seeing loads of people in slottskogen yesterday)

You are aware what constitutes boomers in Sweden are old social democrats? Don't try to apply US politics on Sweden.

As for the immigrants, they have in general a lower median age than people born in Sweden ie less at risk from Covid19.
Of course they have the issue of limited information due to issues with language and literacy, which increases the risk for them.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Cardiac posted:

You are aware what constitutes boomers in Sweden are old social democrats? Don't try to apply US politics on Sweden.

As for the immigrants, they have in general a lower median age than people born in Sweden ie less at risk from Covid19.
Of course they have the issue of limited information due to issues with language and literacy, which increases the risk for them.

Hahaha yeah I know, so what? Still the boomers that can work from home etc, so they are the ones being saved. Aint nobody freezing the rents here right? All my friends got fired these last weeks, young people wont find a summer job etc.

Oh cool a racist trope, stfu. Its a global world, information is widely available in a lot of languages online, and ya know people talk to each other, got relatives in other countries etc.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 4, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

The outreach in English in Sweden felt limited, let alone any other language. My colleagues trying to get info to determine whether it’s worth setting up WFH was really difficult. I was lucky that I had a decent SFI program - others do not. Others have the loving local.se and that’s it (and admittedly they’ve stepped up).

Additionally please, PLEASE keep in mind that getting general information from the Swedish government about anything not in Swedish feels like pulling teeth. Many of us have had instances of conflicting info, key things not relayed to us, and just a lack of giving a poo poo.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zombiepop posted:

Hahaha yeah I know, so what? Still the boomers that can work from home etc, so they are the ones being saved. Aint nobody freezing the rents here right? All my friends got fired these last weeks, young people wont find a summer job etc.
The boomers will statistically not work due to age so they wont work from home, and at least one in 8 might also die from the disease. Meanwhile, the young will statistically survive. Yet you blame the olds for the wims of an international economic system they hardly had any hand in shaping and which your own generation chose to perpetuate in the same way.

quote:

Oh cool a racist trope, stfu. Its a global world, information is widely available in a lot of languages online.

Old immigrants, surely the most tech savy demographic with relatives that have time and resources to care for them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this, friends, is why generational politics are dumb as heck

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Anyone who uses the concept of generations in a serious discussion I immediately dismiss in the same way as I would someone who suggested we could use prayers to fight corona. It has no analytical value and does more to confuse discussion further than clarify. It’s kept alive mainly through management consultants hocking their wares to the rubes and journalists selling newspapers via outrageous headlines.

I really wish SA would stop taking it seriously and see it for the anti-vax, atoms-bad, style “”””science”””” it is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My favourite part of the CORONA CRIME fast-track legislation, apart from increasing the penalty for loving wearing a mask in public, was MPs arguing there was no such thing as a trivial matter when it came to stealing sanitizer, who had themselves been stealing sanitizer from parliament.

teen witch posted:

Additionally please, PLEASE keep in mind that getting general information from the Swedish government about anything not in Swedish feels like pulling teeth. Many of us have had instances of conflicting info, key things not relayed to us, and just a lack of giving a poo poo.

Same here. An NGO had to have the general spread mitigation guidelines translated into Arabic, Farsi, etc.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Zombiepop posted:

Oh cool a racist trope, stfu. Its a global world, information is widely available in a lot of languages online, and ya know people talk to each other, got relatives in other countries etc.

This is a weird as heck reaction. The Nordic governments have done a terrible job at communicating vital information to all groups of people in their societies, and saying that minority groups can just get that information elsewhere, from other countries, is crazy.

Also, generational politics are just the same reactionary, divisive politics that always come out of the US. The fact that some progressives fall for it is heartbreaking. I have spent most of my life in progressive, left-wing organisations and social circles, and benefitted immensely from learning from older generations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

The minority groups themselves are saying that they have had a hard time finding information on their language.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Azram Legion posted:

This is a weird as heck reaction. The Nordic governments have done a terrible job at communicating vital information to all groups of people in their societies, and saying that minority groups can just get that information elsewhere, from other countries, is crazy.

What is it they haven't been doing? (Not asking to dismiss it, curious about what should be done).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in norway at least it's fallen to municipalities to put out info in large minority languages like somali, polish and arabic which is not ideal

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in general municipalities have been pushing a lot of policy, including driving the initial lockdown measures like school closures etc. if this turns out to have been the right thing to do it's going to be a hell of a process to address this because the government is going to try to take credit

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Crimpolioni posted:

What is it they haven't been doing? (Not asking to dismiss it, curious about what should be done).

Basically, they haven't ensured that crucial information was also translated into minority languages. I think the Danish government even had a significant lag in translating information to English in the beginning of the crisis. This is such a basic error in crisis communication, but it was largely downplayed in the media because everyone was busy praising the prime minister for handling communication (to the majority population) well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's been a problem for a while. The Danish public system still sends a lot of information in Danish only to my Indian colleagues here in Denmark.

They have to rely so much on Google translate, it's a travesty.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

KozmoNaut posted:

It's been a problem for a while. The Danish public system still sends a lot of information in Danish only to my Indian colleagues here in Denmark.

it's deliberate policy to try to keep the language alive. if it becomes redundant to english it's going to disappear very quickly

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, when I worked with international PhD students this was a constant problem as well. The informal junior researcher Facebook group we used to arrange social stuff often became an impromptu translation service, which is pretty damning.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

V. Illych L. posted:

this, friends, is why generational politics are dumb as heck

Agreed, though in my (limited) experience, those I know who feel the Swedish response has been good and who feel closing at least some public spaces is going too far are older adults, whereas younger people I've talked to seem more in the loop. But again, limited sample, correlation etc. The older ones I know generally just don't seem to take it seriously, and unlike the crazy religious nut-jobs in the US they don't really have "let god sort it out" as an excuse in general so I'm not sure where its coming from.

In general though I think information regarding the virus in Sweden has been poor even for native speakers so it's not unexpected then that it's far worse for immigrants... But it is loving lovely that it is, regardless. The worst thing is that given how Swedish politics are looking right now, it's not likely to get better either. Talk about regressing.

Anyway friends, stay socially isolated as far as you can and be careful out there. I seem to have gotten caught and have been ill since Monday though with relatively mild symptoms, but I consider myself lucky if this is it. Not worth bothering a hospital or health center with (yet, at least) so I'll just keep myself in isolation.

The coughing and itchy throat can gently caress right off, tho. :v:

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

Per capita numbers make sense later in an outbreak, when population size actually puts constraints on virus spread, not early on where nearly all contacts are uninfected. Smaller countries are always at a disadvantage early on in regards to that metric, assuming a similar starting point, because the logic of 1 case becomes 2 cases becomes 4 cases becomes 8 isn't any different when the total number of infected relative to the overall population is so small. In this case, we had nearly the same number of cases on March 12th, putting us at +72% per capita compared to you. You've now nearly caught up, and likely will within the week. Not because you have a larger population, but because you're spreading the infection faster. Assuming the numbers are trustworthy of course.