Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Looks like a low effort Pokémon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

Physics.

Big country take little country's things.

malaysias not a small country per se and we could never successfully fight a war there with our military and supply lines in shambles

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The Dutch government is saying now that we've hit the top of curve and it's starting to flatten out. Numbers here show an almost equal amount of people dead from it as in the ICU (not hospitalization though) - round about 1500 or so each. The 'intelligent lockdown' as they like to call it is on for another month at least, but it's going to be at least until the fall before I'd feel comfortable going out. Only about 15k total cases total, but there's been a lack of testing.

They instituted this lock down three weeks ago and a kind of half-assed one a week before that. So hold onto your butts America, apparently it takes three weeks to hit the top of the pushed down curve under a nationwide lock down. I haven't seen a single mask out and about when I go to the grocery or the bakery, but I don't live in a huge city either.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Blaise330 posted:

Is this almost over? It was kinda exciting the first few days but now I'm bored of hearing about it.

see where these folks are for reference

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Haramstufe Rot posted:

The US has also confiscated 200k Masks bought by Berlin (and headed there) in Malaysia, re-routed them to the US.
Berlin senator: "This is simply piracy"
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deut...ce-1778b4333dd6

gj Americans nice, very nice

Trump and everybody responsible for this should be put on trial at the Hague. Period.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh it was a US company, I see

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So US seizes stuff US company is trying to export from a China plant to Germany and diverts it to Kushner's secret stash because all production is vanishing into the crime hole bc the states arent seeing poo poo

schmug
May 20, 2007

shovelbum posted:

how is the US confiscating poo poo in malaysia anyway

It was made by 3M

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Withnail posted:

Is this really a thing? I've got an open package of n95 masks that I bought several months ago when I was sanding drywall. wtf am I supposed to go drive them to the ER?

A few people have reported getting negative reactions for wearing the good masks in public, yes. You can certainly ask your local hospital if they want your open pack of drywall masks. If it's less than 5 I assume they don't though because it will be a hassle for them to process a tiny number of possibly contaminated masks for little benefit.

If you do have to wear it outside, I'd wear a scarf or bandana over it just to avoid negative reactions from self-appointed crusaders.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I have several used N95 masks. Can I sterilize them in some way so my sister can use them? I have an ultraviolet light and a sous vide circulator. Don”t know if that helps. I just feel impotent right now, both literally and figuratively. Somebody tell me there”s something I can do.

Yes, it is possible to sanitize an otherwise clean mask. Keeping them at 158F for 30 minutes will kill Corona without deteriorating the material.

https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

quote:

Referring to a paper published in the journal Annals of Occupational Hygiene in 2009, among others, the researchers compared and contrasted these different methods for sterilizing N95 masks, many of which were ineffective:

Heat in an oven for 30 minutes at 158 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius)
Use ultraviolet light for 30 minutes
Soak the mask in 75% ethyl alcohol, then let it dry
Clean the mask with liquid or vapor hydrogen peroxide
Clean the mask with bleach

Steam the mask with hot vapor from boiling water
Microwave the mask
Use extreme heat in an oven or autoclave
Soak in soap and water

"To be useful, a decontamination method must eliminate the viral threat, be harmless to end-users and retain respirator integrity," they wrote.

All of the methods used were believed effective for destroying coronaviruses, they wrote, but not all of them were good ideas.

"DO NOT use alcohol and chlorine [bleach]-based disinfection methods," they wrote. "These will remove the static charge in the microfibers in N95 facial masks, reducing filtration efficiency. In addition, chlorine also retains gas after de-contamination, and these fumes may be harmful."

Microwaves tended to melt the masks and render them useless.

Hydrogen peroxide and ultraviolet radiation appeared to be at least somewhat more effective, they wrote, "but it is not known if they would retain filtration, material strength and airflow integrity with repeated use."

Autoclaves, 320 F [160 C] ovens, and soap and water soaking, all appeared ineffective, they wrote.

However, they wrote, "70 C / 158 F heating in a kitchen-type of oven for 30 min, or hot water vapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination methods."

That said, if the mask is clogged with dust and dirt, no, it isn't possible to clean them. The particles are lodged in the pores of the filter and there is no way to remove them without damaging the structure of the filter.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My sister is on the frontlines. ER doc. Ive been panicking for weeks. Nothing is helping. Ive been trying to lose myself in hobbies and vices, but I just keep imagining my sister in a body bag. It was her birthday yesterday and she”s got a new baby, less than two months old. Also, apparently the apostrophe key on this keyboard is busted, but quotation marks still work. Go figure. Somebody please just tell me that a lady in her 30”s with a decent supply of N95 masks is probably not going to get this and if she does she will probably survive it. I need to hear it from somebody I don”t know.

She is exceedingly unlikely to die even if she gets it. Hardly anyone under 40 has died from this if they got medical care.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hello I'm Uncle Sam and I'm putting the masks into this bin labelled "The gently caress You Gonna Do About It Other Than Be Upset"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Supreme Allah posted:

we all have to sit around jerking each other off for an hour

You hiring?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trump gonna start a tradewar during a pandemic, lol.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Here's a puzzler:

Who is more obnoxious: The boomers on Twitter saying this is literally just the sniffles and we need to run out and buy buy buy or the dudes convinced this is literally the T-Virus and we're all going to be infected and die and even if we do survive we are going to enter WW3 all of us are gonna die

This actually shouldn't be a puzzler unless you yourself are a boomer. One attitude kills people and the other doesnt

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I have several used N95 masks. Can I sterilize them in some way so my sister can use them? I have an ultraviolet light and a sous vide circulator. Don”t know if that helps. I just feel impotent right now, both literally and figuratively. Somebody tell me there”s something I can do.

Viruses are going to die on that mask just from time passing. Just spray it with some alcohol and leave it in the sun for a few hours if you really want to be sure. If they have been in storage just wash them with water if they are dirty.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1246128024816422914

oh my loving god

schmug
May 20, 2007

lmao

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Gianthogweed posted:

Because it's not a black and white issue. It's not a question of "open up the economy completely" or "shut everything down permanently". Most people realize that there needs to be a balance of the two. You want to save as many lives as possible and sometimes that means more restrictions, and sometimes that means easing up on restrictions so that we don't lose millions of lives in the longterm as the result of a crippling Depression. Trump supporters see him as taking that more balanced perspective.

Depressions do not lose "millions of lives".

Not a single person has to die during a depression. There is enough food and supplies in this country to weather 10 Great Depressions.

The billionaires just don't want to share. And America won't make them.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

holy poo poo piss

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
someone please photoshop a picture of Fauci in a tux with a bar code on the back of his neck

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

He keeps upping his personal security, sounds like a man with something to hide.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hmm yes, a man who has been in his current position since halfway through Reagan's presidency is choosing now, TYOOL 2020, to finally assassinate the US economy.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Fauci adjusts his tie, he slips his glasses on and smiles softly

"Alexa......play my music"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5rusicEnc

He sighs and walks to the press conference.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Iceland continues to be an interesting insight to the spread of the infection.

New graphic from their ministry of health of people diagnosed who were/were not in quarantine.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Something I'm really confused about :

How are all the Trump supporters who are also calling the quarantine this huge preview of the 1984 takeover of the country making sense of Trump being 100% behind it?
Trump can do no wrong.

Something good happens? Trump did it.

Something bad happens? Democrats and foreigners did it.

Trump did something? It's a good thing.

Trump did something but then later did the opposite? The second thing is the good thing and the first thing was a bad thing by the Democrats and foreigners.

That's the entire thought process.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Trump can do no wrong.

Something good happens? Trump did it.

Something bad happens? Democrats and foreigners did it.

That's the entire thought process.

yeah and if everybody would just fall in line things would be bigly beautiful but those demonrats oppose him at every turn

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Now my mom has been put in the ICU, on a ventilator, fever 104 and it's been 100+ for more than a week, but they are saying she's "stable" and "only on 50% oxygen instead of 100% like most covid patients" and presenting this as a good thing. She almost definitely got it at work due to them having absolutely no ppe at the nursing home she's a nurse at.
This is fine.
I have to go to work now moving trains mostly occupied by homeless people who have no problem getting in my face and coughing and spitting and smoking because theoretically essential people need to take the trains still, and they are not providing us any ppe or cleaning supplies.
This is fine.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Can coronavirus spread through posts?

I read a couple of particularly bad ones in a thread and immediately felt lightheaded and started wheezing :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

From the comments:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

everyone is losing their mind today good luck out there

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Iceland continues to be an interesting insight to the spread of the infection.

New graphic from their ministry of health of people diagnosed who were/were not in quarantine.

Does this mean I can go back to licking doorknobs :confused:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

21st Cherry boy posted:

Now my mom has been put in the ICU, on a ventilator, fever 104 and it's been 100+ for more than a week, but they are saying she's "stable" and "only on 50% oxygen instead of 100% like most covid patients" and presenting this as a good thing. She almost definitely got it at work due to them having absolutely no ppe at the nursing home she's a nurse at.
This is fine.
I have to go to work now moving trains mostly occupied by homeless people who have no problem getting in my face and coughing and spitting and smoking because theoretically essential people need to take the trains still, and they are not providing us any ppe or cleaning supplies.
This is fine.

If they won't give you PPE make your own mask. This one looks easy and good.

Mithaldu posted:

I just tried a bunch of mask tutorials and this one is by far the best, showing how to integrate a paper filter and a nose wire, while requiring no destruction, glue or sewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QYaMTKxBQ

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
no one important will go to prison at the end of this

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

DrGreatJob posted:

no one important will go to prison at the end of this

the prison system is actively collapsing, so we might not even have prisons at the end of this. liberty for all!!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Blaise330 posted:

He keeps upping his personal security, sounds like a man with something to hide.

Hopefully not information that would lead to her arrest.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they won't give you PPE make your own mask. This one looks easy and good.

Thanks for the tutorial :) I am wearing my last dust mask today and I ordered some masks with replaceable filters from eBay and Amazon, hoping at least one of the orders comes in soon.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
any goons selling non surgical masks? like someone who sews them?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Trump gonna start a war during a pandemic, lol.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
christ

https://twitter.com/indystar/status/1245832882276499456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

21st Cherry boy posted:

This is fine.
This is fine.

That sounds like a nightmare. Stay safe and best of luck, goon.