Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Nah I'm just saying I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

Unrelated to the incredible hardman screaming at you about his imaginary bikes, is that a Valkyrie in the background?
A Valkrie Rune, indeed. Saw one of those in person once. I actually kind of liked it. And it's got the Goldwing motor so it has mad torque yo.

Can I just play devil's advocate here. Because I've worked on things that are badly made at home (KZ440s) and things that are badly made at factories (Taotaos). Is that tape actually holding something from moving around? Cause if not then I think it would do whatever it's supposed to do just fine. Looks like quality tape anyway. You can use Harbor Freight duct tape as a rim strip on wheels for example, works fine. And Grandma's kitchen label maker from 1997, which I still use at the shop too, was at least used to label things that needed to be labelled. Although I might be concerned about the longevity of the adhesives on those labels outdoors. Looks like a very low production run product. From the photos I see, parts fit where they're supposed to fit, wires don't look twice as long as they should be for the distance they're going, etc. Can't speak to how well the terminals are crimped/soldered etc. but those photos don't make me shiver or anything. I've seen way scarier setups going around a race track successfully.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I want people to question things I say, which means I'm going to have to justify my claims. I'm going to attempt that by asking you a question: What protections do you see in place to keep the battery cells clear of moisture, salt bridges, and oxidization? These are real problems, and part of the reason Zero had to do a recall on all 2012 and prior models. Bikes were burning down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know anything about e bikes but I know enough about normal ones to see that thing was built as someone's track day project, then some other genius decided to try marketing it and genuinely thought lights and mirrors are all you need to have a decent road bike. There's no sign of development or even testing, some of the details are just yikes.

Like, it looks like it'd work fine if you never took it outdoors ever.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

We did a part 3 not that it was really necessary but we now have all the 0-60 and top speed info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6NW478faBc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mid 5 second 0-60 seems not great for any bike let alone an electric? To be fair I don’t pay much attention to 0-60 on bikes but it doesn’t seem great?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That stood out to me too. 5 seconds is barely better than a STOCK dr650. For lmao amounts of money I'd expect better.

LodeRunner I've really enjoyed your good posts about ebikes. Thank you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah my R3 can do ~5.5. It’s a really fun bike but in a straight line, well, it’s a 321cc twin that won’t murder me.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Yeah those are sad numbers. Any decent e-bike should be able to do under 4 seconds, especially if it's marketed as something powerful or fast. I do want to mention that I do actually genuinely like electric motorcycles, it's just that this is not a good one. We're also working on a review of the H-D LiveWire which turned out to be a really good bike, and we're having to eat our words. We did not expect it to be good. The LiveWire, by the way, will do a 0-60 in like 3 seconds flat.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, my Zero claims 3.4s though I haven’t timed it.

I am loving this discussion, hope Sam Baker (New Zeroland) got his deposit back though.

EDIT: Just found your thread w/ him on EMF (he's "mistasam" there). Welp.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm sure it's been answered and I already know about https://cycle-ergo.com/ but can anyone give me some real life advice about a first bike for a tall as gently caress dude? like 6'10"...
He makes a Ninja300 look like a loving pocket bike.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Sam reeeeeeally wants to believe. And he's a friend, so this has been hard. The best thing we can do is have the evidence we actually have, as opposed to the past year of speculation. You can try to argue, but not when I have such damning evidence.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sure it's been answered and I already know about https://cycle-ergo.com/ but can anyone give me some real life advice about a first bike for a tall as gently caress dude? like 6'10"...

lots of manlets on advrider are constantly asking about lowering the KTM 1290 SAR and the 790 ADV R. you can also be completely insane and get some WP xplor 270mm forks if you want an even taller bike

I'm about 5'11" on a good day and can't flat foot the SAR, so I would recommend those :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

KLR650? At 5'10", I've never come across a bike with ergos that were too big, just a few that were a little higher on clearance than the rest. I think even a DR650 would be too cramped without doing a footpeg relocate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know a guy like this, I'm fairly tall but he towers over me. Long story short: sportster 883 if he won't go for anything dirty or adv-ish.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had to get some perspective. The new SV650 clocks in at 3.3 seconds 0-60. So yeah, 5.anything is baaaaad

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any adv/sumo bike with 2”+ bar risers, lowered pegs and a tall seat is about the best he’ll do.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Has anyone here read Guy Martin's autobiography? Is it any good? If you had $10 to spend on a Kindle book, which of his would you get?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

builds character posted:

Any adv/sumo bike with 2”+ bar risers, lowered pegs and a tall seat is about the best he’ll do.

I was afraid of that. I'll inform him to start looking at cheap 4 stroke dirtbikes and that we have a project on our hands.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Harley-Davidson Board Votes to Restructure Business Operations

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

almost as good as Giant Loop's overlanding tent lol

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

quote:

“The new business plan for Harley-Davidson sees us focusing on the business operations that center on that lifestyle segment, but now without the burden of actually having to make the motorcycles.”

:psyduck:

I mean, sure, April Fools, but... really could've been real news.

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

What's the date?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I dunno, the source for the article looks pretty legit.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

It's funny because it echoes the joke I made for years. H-D is a clothing company. They can probably make more from clothes than they do from bikes. Anyone who's ever been to the Midwest tell me I'm wrong.

Also want that tent for a Zero DSR. Run power out through an inverter for nighttime amenities, unroll some flexy solar panels for daytime trickle charging... go EV camping!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao literally making less product in favour of selling more loans, this is a foolproof plan based on lots of learned lessons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s April

Fools

Guys

Although Harley has been a lifestyle clothing brand that also makes motorcycles for a long time now, so that article isn’t hard to believe.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In their defence it's an overly long joke and not even slightly funny

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In their defence it's not much weirder than normal news.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the joke is only funny if it runs counter to common perception

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hate april fools. it's nothing but these stupid predictable corporate "jokes" and incredibly mean-spirited "pranks" pulled by wannabe youtube superstars.

in quebec, and other french-speaking parts of the world, instead of april fools you have poisson d'avril (april fish) and the idea is to try and stick a paper fish onto your friend's back.

you can also put the fish in other unexpected locations, like on the bathroom mirror, underneath their optical mouse, in their coat pocket, etc.

be more like quebec.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

an overly long joke and not even slightly funny

The definition of any April 1st gag

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sad part about that harley story is how plausible it is, like when hewlett packard split into HP consumer and HP enterprise

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i hate april fools. it's nothing but these stupid predictable corporate "jokes" and incredibly mean-spirited "pranks" pulled by wannabe youtube superstars.

in quebec, and other french-speaking parts of the world, instead of april fools you have poisson d'avril (april fish) and the idea is to try and stick a paper fish onto your friend's back.

you can also put the fish in other unexpected locations, like on the bathroom mirror, underneath their optical mouse, in their coat pocket, etc.

be more like quebec.

The only good april fools prank anymore is sticking googly eyes on everything in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Has anyone here read Guy Martin's autobiography? Is it any good? If you had $10 to spend on a Kindle book, which of his would you get?

it's okay the first one is a look back on my life book while the rest are clearly diaries he bundled into new books. probably if I was curious about how he got where he is I'd go for the first one, whereas if I wanted to know what he's been up to for the previous couple of years and more details about the tv shows and vehicles he's building for them one of the others.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

That article may be fake, but the dislike of Harleys by the upcoming generations is not.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

I'm 7" shorter than the guy in question, but a DRZ seems like a pretty good option. Every time I get on a DRZ I'm surprised by how high the seat feels compared to my bike, so it seems like the best option for a beginner that's tall.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm 7" shorter than the guy in question, but a DRZ seems like a pretty good option. Every time I get on a DRZ I'm surprised by how high the seat feels compared to my bike, so it seems like the best option for a beginner that's tall.

Given how awesome and fun it is to ride a kid’s klx110, I assume all bikes with proper ergos will be the same.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

kloa posted:

That article may be fake, but the dislike of Harleys by the upcoming generations is not.

As a younger generation I feel like my opinion speaks for all my fellow millennials. :eng101:

It's really more of a price point for me. Equal wieght class there are just far better bikes out there for each size and for cheaper when compared to Harley. I like Harley's style just not worth the upcharge for less features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aren’t most of us millennials? I think the current age range is 25-40. I like the way the Street Rod looks, especially in white, but the rest of their bikes don’t really speak to me at all. I would way rather have a Goldwing than a Road Glide.