Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

In short: The Facebook page for the Leiden Albert Heijn (Dutch Supermarket Chain) poorly photoshoped out the part of the picture below calling for a 14e minimum wage: "Minimum Loon 14 Euro". When the national office was asked about this, they said, "Well, yes it is understandable why they did so."

https://www.vice.com/nl/article/pke9yg/supermarkt-leiden-vakkenvullers-photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

3.2+3.3+6.6 = 13.1 btw.

yes thank you. also the number of people on insured unemployment claims peaked in May/June 2009 at 6.5 million, so a little less than 1/2 the number of people in the U3 count of unemployment

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

T-man posted:

look the boot currently stomping on my face belongs to an old woman so it's actually sexist and ageist to ask her to stop how will she afford her family's home if her boot stomping income dries up

Idk what you are into but you gotta support your local sex workers :colbert:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ah, so this is the flattening the curve I’ve heard so much about

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Does anyone have any actual numbers for how many "small-time landlords" are totally reliant on rent for their income?

People (CHUDs and bootlickers) keep bringing this up, and maybe living in Seattle has just totally distorted my perception of real estate, but I feel like if you make enough money to own a home and also own one or more places that you rent out, you are making so much money that none of this should be an issue for you...?

small time landlords seems a scapegoat of sorts to skirt around the issue, I'm quite sure there's a lot of people in that situation, simply because that's just how capitalism works, but you end up having to tiptoe around it because people will feel victimised for being landlords. Like they take this as their idpol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ShaunGalNews/status/1245829203385143296

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Look at these poor farmers just forced to waste perfectly good food.

Forced I say, while stepping over a destitute beggar.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

grapesofwrath.txt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't think you'll be able to get all the way to the bottom of it at 6, Shaun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I like that the way you get rid of milk is apparently by just opening a random valve half-way down a random pipeline and letting it dump out all over your factory floor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jesus that story is infuriating

quote:

Umhoefer says giving the milk away themselves could also crush the dairy industry. They've asked the USDA to step in to buy back the milk to then donate it to those who need it.

"We have asked the government to step in and buy dairy products to give to feeding programs and give to school lunch programs," Umhoefer said. "So we can get people fed and get money back to that dairy farmer."

But instead of just giving the milk away to people who literally can't buy milk right now, we'd prefer to just destroy it so nobody can have it. You know, to get money back to that dairy farmer.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
if only the big brain capitalists could come up with a method for the long term preservation of dairy... ah well probably impossible

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gently caress farmers. everyone is always so eager to praise farmers, even libs who ostensibly understand the nature of the industry, but they're almost entirely scum like that

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The article made sure to go into great detail about how it was totally impossible for food service factories making 10lb bags of shredded cheese to be retooled for retail 8oz bags and other similar issues. The logical next step of just, y'know, selling to individuals or discounting to give to food banks or other community resources just didn't seem to occur to anyone. Beep boop, those are business bags, peasants need not apply.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

But instead of just giving the milk away to people who literally can't buy milk right now, we'd prefer to just destroy it so nobody can have it. You know, to get money back to that dairy farmer.

I knew a guy in college whose parents were dairy farmers. They made at least $100k just from government subsidies alone every year, had migrant workers do everything, and you better believe he had strong opinions about welfare queens getting unearned free government money.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

I mean, isn't this already a long standing program? like government cheese and all of that came about as part of government dairy price controls

the US has a long history of basically a command economy in agriculture and massive subsidization -- with good and bad outcomes; a fair chunk of it is exactly the kind of vote buying politicians love to complain about

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thanks to just available natural resources and a lot of investment in land production and agricultural subsidy, the US has pretty great production potential and very low risk of any real food issues

it just has lots of dumb outcomes for price stability to keep farmers, producers, and consumers all happy and to spread things out

dairy producers chasing $$ all overproduce which will crater prices so the government buys it up to dump down the drain or stockpile as cheese/dry milk/etc because they'd rather have that then the dairy producers go bust and risk underproduction; and this is likely with other subsidization on the input side as well

they'll pay a farmer in Illinois to not rent out or farm land to lower overall production and then subsidize a farmer with terrible land in Colorado so they don't go bust simultaneously

etc etc

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

red19fire posted:

I knew a guy in college whose parents were dairy farmers. They made at least $100k just from government subsidies alone every year, had migrant workers do everything, and you better believe he had strong opinions about welfare queens getting unearned free government money.

Farming in general as a practice in America only exists off the borderline free labor of migrant workers and making your 12 year old kid drive a tractor as part of his "chores"

When Obama was doing some better working conditions poo poo one of the things was laws regulating farm work and the Right lost their poo poo and all these farmers were bitching and moaning how child labor laws would make it so their children would skip out of doing their weekly(i.e 30-40 hours a week) chores.

I knew someone who was raised on a farm but according to her the farm her parents ran was the only self sustaining dairy/meat farm in the state and the vast majority of farmers were uneducated morons who basically trip over piles of govt handouts to keep their ramshackle failure of an operation going.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

When Obama was doing some better working conditions poo poo one of the things was laws regulating farm work and the Right lost their poo poo and all these farmers were bitching and moaning how child labor laws would make it so their children would skip out of doing their weekly(i.e 30-40 hours a week) chores.

They actually pushed it farther back than it was before Obama iirc, with the inevitable result being (among other things) a 12 year old sinking into the grain in a silo and being crushed to death

But it teaches them the value of good hard work you see

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh also small farms are exempt from OSHA lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The logic to it is super weird too

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/11/congress-exempts-small-farm-deaths-osha-inspection/576010/

quote:

In 1999, following the death of a teenager on a Rhode Island farm, Democratic Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island introduced an amendment to allow osha to investigate fatal accidents on all farms, regardless of size, if the victims were children.

During a Senate session, Reed was at pains to stress that the amendment was limited, and still wouldn’t permit osha to levy fines or investigate the deaths of children of farm families. It would only allow osha to determine the cause of an accident, Reed explained, giving farmers information they could use to prevent future tragedies. “Some have criticized this amendment as potentially imposing an undue burden on small farms,” Reed said. “This is erroneous criticism. There is no burden here other than facing up to the facts and finding out what happened.” But Reed wound up withdrawing the proposal, recognizing that it wouldn’t pass.

Like I think congress just really really wants to kill and maim farm workers? OSHA's not even allowed to give safety advice or training to them if they (as in, the owners of the farm) ask for it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

And of course the moment something interrupts the supply chain of petrol fertilizers, migrant workers, and DRM'd tractors it's all gonna collapse.

Protip if the government has to constantly act to keep the farms from collapsing maybe the farm system we have is not good. I suggest land reform and communism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

And of course the moment something interrupts the supply chain of petrol fertilizers, migrant workers, and DRM'd tractors it's all gonna collapse.

Protip if the government has to constantly act to keep the farms from collapsing maybe the farm system we have is not good. I suggest land reform and communism.

"You see all the inefficiencies involved in collective farming and a central command economy would lead to shortages so it's completely impractical" I say unironically while dumping several million gallons of milk into the sewer

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Surely nothing could go wrong if we produced only the exact amount of food we need.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spazzle posted:

Surely nothing could go wrong if we produced only the exact amount of food we need.

1927: boy howdy wheat sure is the golden ticket to the big bucks imma gonna pay off my mortgage in a few years all by my own hard work
1928: drat rat bankers and their price games I'll just grow 3x as much wheat since the price dropped, can't trust govt or banks
1929: can't go a year without those fat cats trying to rob an honest man I'll just plant 10x as much wheat and sell
1931: daddy president please help me feed my kids and save my farm I don't understand how this happened.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/jherrerx/status/1246136395359383557

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

what a hero

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/status/1246232950007627776

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is that the same shipment that was about to leave China for France and the USA dropped 3x price on them so they cancelled the French order at the last minute?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Frog Act posted:

gently caress farmers. everyone is always so eager to praise farmers, even libs who ostensibly understand the nature of the industry, but they're almost entirely scum like that

Anyone who owns and controls capital is a piece of poo poo because only lovely people aspire to own capital and enrich themselves.

Yes this means most people living under capitalism are lovely. The good news is that the shittiness is not intrinsic but in fact rises on the condition of inculturation, so it can be fixed.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

KiteAuraan posted:

Anyone who owns and controls capital is a piece of poo poo because only lovely people aspire to own capital and enrich themselves.

Yes this means most people living under capitalism are lovely. The good news is that the shittiness is not intrinsic but in fact rises on the condition of inculturation, so it can be fixed.

most people own and control capital? what definition of capital are you using?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Noice

https://twitter.com/thinkpolca/status/1246120916918005760?s=19

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

but think of the poor parasites

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Inceltown posted:

Is that the same shipment that was about to leave China for France and the USA dropped 3x price on them so they cancelled the French order at the last minute?

Could also be the shipment to Germany the US comandeered.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

bike tory posted:

what a hero

Respect. Fresh guillotine blade for this man after the revolution.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Please please let these disaster sticken people take their cases to the public and complain there aren't any govt regulations to protect them in this time of crisis.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

InediblePenguin posted:

most people own and control capital? what definition of capital are you using?

Most people aspire to own capital and it guides their actions. They'll never own any obviously, but it leads to poo poo like death cult chuds. The idea that you can make it and become the boss, the American Dream since we started genociding Indigenous peoples, the endless desire the Buddha warned against. But those folks could be potential comrades if we wake them up (maybe not the death cultists).

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

what a hero

ay! get a load a this its jonny d dressed up all nice for his fancy interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you want to really enjoy this, go on rentals.ca. Suddenly Toronto and Vancouver have thousands of listings in brand new condos, for thousands less than listings put up last month.

2 Bedroom condo on Queens Quay for 1500/mo lol