Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If his chemtrail filtration filters out corona, he will have the last laugh (on earth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Not too late to buy something else low.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My Uncle has been panicking about the stock market.

(he is a potentially crazy person who spent a ridiculous amount of money on an air filtration system that he believes can filter out chem-trails).

Maybe we are all BWM and he is the clear headed one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
speaking of

dude on my floor paced up and down naked breaking all the loving lights. Was playing Price is Right with the cops and building security and none of us have any idea what those things cost

on a side note would it be GWM to break into his place and steal poo poo

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

(he is a potentially crazy person who spent a ridiculous amount of money on an air filtration system that he believes can filter out chem-trails)

If we're talking chem-trails I'd wager he's realized his potential already.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ixian posted:

If we're talking chem-trails I'd wager he's realized his potential already.

He used to be completely normal, but I don't know if it is old age, painkillers, or my cousin's terrible influence, but he has gone pretty far off the deep end in the last few years.

He is totally completely functional and you wouldn't be able to tell how crazy he has gotten until about 5 minutes into the conversation when he drops his insane conspiracy theories. He got into a fight with his electric company to try and get free electricity a few years ago because he believes that they already have access to unlimited free energy, but are concealing it in order to rake in profits.

Other than this brief stint where he got the power shut off, you would never know that it is affecting his life in any way. We've tried to intervene before, but he won't listen and nobody can do anything because his wife and son back him up and he hasn't caused any harm to himself or others because of it. Financial harm apparently doesn't count unless it results in you being homeless or starving.

Here is some background and a copy and paste of emails he has sent and information about him. He never used to be into any of this stuff until about 5 years ago. He's in his late 60's.

My uncle used to be regular BWM, but now I think he might be legitimately mentally unstable from pain pills and injuries.

He financed some huge air filtration system for his house a year or two ago that was "strong enough to filter out chemtrails" and within 5 months was begging family for money to keep his payments up.

He spends close to $2k a month on a mail subscription service for MREs, toilet paper, battery powered electronics, and long-lasting disaster prep food.

I think I have posted about him before, but now he seems to be crazy in an actionable way instead of just BWM/paranoid and someone is probably going to have to do something about it.

He is apparently trying to organize his entire neighborhood and family members to all cancel their power bills at once. He is sending these massive email screeds to everyone, and printing out pages and pages of the same stuff to leave on everyone's doorstep in his neighborhood, about how paying for energy is all a big conspiracy. That there are ley-lines aligned under the Egyptian pyramids that have been harnessed for unlimited free energy for centuries and the only reason we pay for energy is because we have "made our bed" with fossil fuels and it would be too disruptive to our economy to make the leylines available to the general public.

He says that he has cancelled his electricity service and is using a generator for his giant chest freezers until the company gives in and activates the ley-lines. He seems to think that since hardly anyone has told him no, (I imagine they are all ignoring him) that they must all be joining him.

The worst part is that my aunt doesn't seem to believe in this, but is "open to seeing how it goes" and letting him do it. She is also crazy, but in a slightly different way. She is suing her former employer (a local school district) because her health insurance doesn't cover her naturopath who uses crystal healing for her migraines.

My cousin is also completely into this stuff and "helping" my Uncle get set up, which is the one thing that makes me think it might not just be my uncle going senile.

Here is part (yes, this is just a part) of the email he just sent to everyone in the family:

He also included a billion links to websites and youtube videos, instructions for all of us on how to cancel our bills, how to let the companies know that we are cancelling service because of the ley-lines, and how to harness the energy when the power companies give in.

quote:

Visible light, ie. everything we can visually apprehend in this dimension, comprises a mere 20% of the electromagnetic spectrum. Therefore 80% of our reality consists of unseen forces. Freaky! So then, drawing from the foregoing analogies, it is safe to say that the exact same principles thereof apply to the existence and the nature of Leylines. It’s all a case of subtle energy. We as humans have been designed with Energy Meridians coursing through our collective organisms. The existence of Energy Meridians is verifiable: it is the foundation of Chinese Medicine, an ancient art-science far more advanced and sophisticated than modern Western medicine. Since we have Energy Meridians, so, too, does Mother Earth. The Leylines are Mother Earth’s Energy Meridians.

Now, Leylines are not straight ‘lines’ per se. The Orientals described them as ‘currents’, which is more qualitatively accurate (the Western mindset prefers rigid, Pythagorean representations of inherently wiggly, frisky things for some reason — all to do with latticing free Nature into a control grid). On remotely viewing a Leyline, its appearance is a wispy, swirly spiral (not unlike a Serpent) infused with complexly beautiful colours. Leylines also have their unique characteristics. In the case of the four Leylines of St Michael’s Mount (the Greco-Christian Masculine-Feminine coalition of the Apollo, the Michael, and the Athena and the Mary), you could say that each ‘line’ bears a particular ‘feel’. For instance, the Mary line is renowned for its expansive ‘bandwidth’, warm, nurturing, and protective aura.

By way of analogy, I shall duly illustrate and clarify. Think of the Equator. It exists, and is symbolically represented as a line running through the centre of the earth. When you approach the equator, things get really hot. When you’re practically on the equator, you will definitely know. The Equator cannot be seen. But it can be felt, and its ‘bandwidth’ and intangible properties, so to speak, can be measured through sophisticated scientific means. Think, also, of Radiowaves. Again— unseen, intangible— but can definitely be felt, heard, and accordingly measured. Likewise, the electromagnetic spectrum in general is a great teacher.

How advanced are we as a civilization today? With all of our technology and knowledge in different sciences, are we more advanced when compared to ancient humankind? To civilizations like the Egyptians or the Sumerians?

If Ancient Civilizations did not possess advanced technology nor Ancient Power Sources, how else would you explain them lifting and transporting huge blocks of stone like The Trilithon at the Temple of Jupiter, Baalbek, Lebanon that weighs over 4.5 million pounds? Or The Western Stone in Jerusalem, Israel which weighs 1.2 million pounds and The Ramesseum statue located in Thebes, Egypt which weighs over 2 million pounds?

How could all of this be achieved without electricity? High power machines for transport? Lasers and other high-tech tools for cutting and shaping? Ancient mankind must have had Ancient Power Sources, ancient technology.

Could the Great Pyramid of Giza have been built to serve as a power plant and not a royal tomb as some researchers and archeologists suggest? What we have been a very, very precise building that has the precision of a fraction of an inch. It’s something that is very noteworthy and not indicative of a simple agrarian culture without technology and advanced knowledge. You can think of the Great Pyramid as a machine, an Ancient Power Source? But just how could the Great Pyramid have been used as a power plant? Generating energy from its core? Researchers believe clues can be found by exploring the surface underneath the Pyramid.

All over the world, we can find incredible ancient sites that challenge our very own technology today. From Ollantaytambo, Puma Punku to the Great Pyramid in Egypt, all of those sites are amazing achievements of ancient mankind, the only question is, WHO gave them the technology to complete these projects? What is funny to some people is the fact that there are archeologists that believe that all of this was achieved with slave labor and simple tools.

Leylines are the meridians of planet earth. Different leylines provide different energies to keep the chi of our planet flowing. After almost having been forgotten, and having been hi-jacked in the third dimension to create an even deeper sense of duality, they are now being rediscovered and understood by a larger population. So called gridworkers have been and still are working on re-establishing and strengthening the leyline grid around the planet, anchoring the new energies that are coming in at major grid crossings, cleaning out, releasing and transforming low frequencies and re-directing the new energy into the meridians.

There’s evidence that obelisks all over the world are tapping into this natural energy that’s part of the Earth. The concept is to take the natural energies of the Earth and manipulate them. It’s a subtle energy, but for those who have the devices and technology to see and measure this energy, it’s something that can be used. What is interesting about a major number of obelisks is that many of them are constructed out of granite a stone containing high concentrations of energy-responsive quartz crystal. Because of its crystalline structure, quartz has the ability to convert the Earth’s natural electrical vibrations into usable energy by a property known as piezoelectricity.

Crystals are literally a tool and technology that’s essential for transmitting energy, and that is taking energy in one state and essentially converting it to another state. Ancient Astronaut theorists believe that ancient cultures that erected obelisks had some understanding of the high-tech properties of quartz and that they might have used them to transmit this energy over vast distances.

Tesla talked about giant transmitters could send and receive limitless amounts of electricity, flowing like invisible water. One of the key components in his system was quartz crystal.

Tesla tried to build a system of wireless power. He built the Wardenclyffe Tower on Long Island in New York., he was going to hook this tower up to a power plant and he was going to broadcast electricity. According to him, vehicles would be able to draw power from the tower and obtain free clean energy.

But was Tesla the first to think of this type of wireless energy? Or did humanity discover this type of energy thousands of years before him? Could the Great Pyramid be equivalent to Tesla’s Wardenclyffe Tower? Transmitting free energy and providing power to vehicles and equipment?

We know today that the Great Pyramid contains significant amounts of quartz crystal, the question we ask is could the Great Pyramid together with obelisks around the world made up a global network of free energy?

The pyramids were actually geo-mechanical devices they were “attached” to Earth, and they were tuned in a way so that they would vibrate with the frequencies of the Earth and they converted the energies of the Earth into electromagnetic energy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 3, 2020

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

He also included a billion links to websites and youtube videos, instructions for all of us on how to cancel our bills, how to let the companies know that we are cancelling service because of the ley-lines, and how to harness the energy when the power companies give in.

"Welcome to Hawaii! Want to get leyd?"
*burns you to death with mystical electricity*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Honestly, this just reads as schizophrenia.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Youth Decay posted:

Just want to point out that all of the big time rebbes have said to follow social distancing rules and that someone who organizes a minyan is equivalent to a murderer.

I remember seeing one of the more prominent ultraorthodox rabbinical counsels said that trying to form a minyan right now is a "mitzvah (commandment) fulfilled by sin" or something to that effect. Point being "commandment of sin" would be a great band name.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, this just reads as schizophrenia.

That's what we thought (or some kind of psychosis from painkillers), but his wife and son are very into the same ideas and it seems unlikely that they all developed it at the same time. Also, he sources a lot of his material from insane conspiracy youtubes, who themselves source their material from stuff that is basically infowars/timecube, so it is hard to tell.

Infowars is definitely schizophrenia-adjacent, but I doubt everyone who is into them is schizophrenic or even "officially" mentally ill. Most of my Uncle's conspiracy theories are "mainstream" conspiracy theories about the Illuminati, the U.S. Government/Federal Reserve controlling everything, chemtrails, and 9/11 trutherism. He's also very into some biblical conspiracy theory involving planets aligning and the end of the world.

Other than wasting a ton of money, there is no "damage" to their lives. We've specifically checked in with elder services about him and if his doctor hasn't diagnosed him with anything, he isn't making himself homeless or starving, and he isn't hurting anyone else, then there isn't anything they can really do.

It all seemed to start once he got on disability, got painkillers, and started watching lots of Youtube. He had 60+ years of poor financial decisions and generic "it's all run by the guys at the top and nobody else is allowed to be in charge" prior to this, but no extreme craziness. His son is very into it as well and was likely the original person that guided him to these sources.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 3, 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Late onset schizophrenia is pretty rare, but some people have really terrible reactions to some meds.

In my early 20s I was on Vicodin and scopolamine for a couple months. A few weeks into this, I became convinced that street signs had secret messages for me and that I could build a machine that would allow me to travel in the space between parallel universes. Since I'd been made privy to this secret knowledge, I didn't want anyone to catch on and use it for evil, so I started hiding my regular mail and everyday receipts about my apartment on the logic that if I didn't know where it was, They wouldn't find it either. Granted, most of this was the scopolamine but I still get grand ideas and paranoia from opioids without it.

I was still finding things in weird places six months after all this. Being in pain and taking a med that messes with your sense of reality can really gently caress you up, and I really hope someone communicates his behavior to the doc treating him. Some people have worse reactions to certain pain meds than others.

E: oh his doc doesn't give a poo poo cool

Someone doesn't have to have a diagnosable mental illness to reassess their therapy, a loving personality change is evidence of adverse reaction

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 3, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

He spends close to $2k a month on a mail subscription service for MREs, toilet paper, battery powered electronics, and long-lasting disaster prep food.

This is BWM for sure, don't get me wrong, but well...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HardDiskD posted:

This is BWM for sure, don't get me wrong, but well...

Yeah, but he's been doing it for 4+ years.

And he has to do "rotations" where he throws away or eats all the food because some of it is only good for 2 years.

And how many extremely over-priced handcrank flashlights do you really need mailed to you each year?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I'd be genuinely concerned (well, even more concerned) for him and others like him given that the current situation is likely fulfilling a poo poo-ton of prepper's I-told-you-so mentalities. Like, this is seriously a line a paranoid schizophrenic might not ever come back from.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Yeah, but he's been doing it for 4+ years.

And he has to do "rotations" where he throws away or eats all the food because some of it is only good for 2 years.

And how many extremely over-priced handcrank flashlights do you really need mailed to you each year?

My favorite part is begging for money from family for your filtration system while you're literally making a doomsday kit of rations and stuff. Everyone should store a little extra for a rainy day, but 2 years of food? If society gets to that point I'm taking the express lane to the grave.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they just arrested the guy on my floor for going ham on all the glass he could find

I hope they put him in psych hold for a while but I saw a situation not unlike this in an SF apartment and the dude was back THE NEXT loving DAY

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Time for internet psychology: I don't know if disordered speech is always present with schizophrenia, but that writing feels way too cogent for a schizophrenic. All of the thoughts connect, more or less, and there's a clear argument in the sample provided, even if it's a batshit insane one. Seems more like whatever meds the uncle is on has put him into some sort of persistent manic state where he knows (he KNOWS) that the powers-that-be are hiding things from him, and he's one step away from blowing this whole thing wide open. Delusions of grandeur.

Alan Smithee posted:

they just arrested the guy on my floor for going ham on all the glass he could find

I hope they put him in psych hold for a while but I saw a situation not unlike this in an SF apartment and the dude was back THE NEXT loving DAY

A 5150 hold maxes out at 72 hours, and they typically release people much sooner than that. Probably even sooner right now since they don't want people who aren't seriously ill crammed together in hospitals getting slammed with COVID cases.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Without getting too deep into crazy uncle's conspiracies, his wife and son aren't on painkillers and they believe the same thing. I think his son actually was on board with all of this a decade or more ago and my uncle hopped on board.

My aunt doesn't seem to be 100% on board, but is of the "anything can happen!" life theory and is just rolling with it. She and my uncle have always been huge hippies and weirdos that stock up on bottled water, insist on growing their own food to avoid GMOs and be fed if society collapses, and very into crystal healing. For proof of how hippie she is: My aunt is not related by blood and her sister's legal first name is Cricket.

There are two other kids that think their Dad's theories are nonsense and feel like he is wasting their inheritance and embarrassing them by sending out emails to the entire family, so not everyone is in on it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This MUST have gotten posted in here:

Is negative equity on a car loan EVER worth it?

quote:

See bottom for updates on the situation EDIT: I realized how confusing it was for everyone that I listed all prices in Canadian currency. I went through my post and edited all of them to USD. If you see people talking about a $69k loan, that’s referring to $49k USD, as now written below.

Hey! My fiancé and I purchased a 2019 Kia Sorento in May 2019 from a Kia dealership. It was our first car purchase. We did end up having some buyer’s remorse for the following reasons (I’m Canadian but I converted all prices to USD):

$231 biweekly, 84-month financing at 7.99% - High interest rate, long term loan made me nervous and payments were a wee bit above budget (by a wee bit, I mean more like a lot).

Originally, we wanted to get a cheaper used car (budget: <$20,000) but the $8,000 cash-back offered by the dealer was a pretty attractive option at the time. That cash back was only available on the purchase of a brand new, more expensive car. The Sorento was valued at ~27k. We paid off most of our credit card debt with that cash back.

So I was making breakfast two days ago when I got a random phone call. I answered, and it was the Kia dealership that sold us our car 10 months prior. They were letting us know about low interest rate promotions they have going on. “You could qualify for a 0.99% interest rate if you’re interested in trading-in your car!” I was skeptical but kept an open mind. Going from 7.99% to 0.99% is a big jump worth looking into, in my opinion. I let them check our eligibility for this rate and yes, we were eligible. They asked if we wanted to come in to know more and check out some models so we decided to go in the next day.

Fast-forward to yesterday afternoon, we test drove a 2020 Kia Sportage SX Turbo. Going in, I was hoping that if we did decide to trade in our Sorento, it would be for a car cheap enough to keep our biweekly payments roughly the same. I didn’t feel great about looking into a trade in so early on in our financing due to the negative equity from the car we barely paid for.

The dealership offered us only $17.5k for the Sorento. My question to them was: is rolling over that much money into a new loan really worth the crazy low interest rate? Their answer was yes, but I was still skeptical. They convinced me when they said that we’d be paying down our principal much faster than with that 7.99% rate. More money goes to the car, less to the bank.

I did not think we would be walking out of that dealership 3 hours later having signed a bill of sale and loan paperwork for that Sportage, but we sure did.

My regrets:

I rushed the decision. I told myself I wouldn’t but we were getting close to them closing for the day and I wouldn’t have had time to come back for a little while. What if the deal was gone after a few days? I let them pressure me into making a choice right then and there, I should have slept on it.

We are now binded to a loan of 49k over 84 months, $280 biweekly at 1.85% (apparently the bank could only offer 0.99% for loans less than 15k... 1.85% is still better than 7.99% though.... right?). That’s an extra $93 a month out of our pockets and we have reset to 84 months of payments ahead of us. Negative equity rolled over was ~13k.

I think we should have waited at least 2-3 years before considering this, to reduce the negative equity rolled over. But how much interest money were we throwing away with that 8% rate??

I need some perspective. Are we complete idiots or was there some sense in rolling over that much negative equity to slash our interest rate? Be as harsh as you need to be, I really need some guidance. We’re feeling SO stupid right now but are we overreacting?

For your info, we haven’t even driven this car off the lot yet, that’s happening in 6 hours.

EDIT: If anyone has advice on talking to the dealership about backing out, I could use that too. I know that legally I don’t have a leg to stand on, but I’m hoping to make something work.

UPDATE (super detailed, for anyone interested): So we spent roughly four hours at the dealership today. We went in there and first read through all the paperwork with the hopes of finding a significant error. The only thing that was weird was that in the loan paperwork, under our expenses, the amount I pay for my apartment rental was written as $1 (I had inquired about that before signing, she said that it doesn’t really matter). The actual rent payment was put under my fiancé’s name, who was put down as the co-buyer in this thing.

The sales manager came in and listened to what I had to say. He asked me what I want, and I said that we’d like to cancel the contract if at all possible. He said that he’s willing to go ask his boss. A few minutes later, he came back telling us that he didn’t notice that the loan had « already been processed by the bank » and that there’s nothing they can do on their end. We told him we’ll give the bank a call then. By this point, we expected some serious bluffing. While on hold with the bank, we told him that we don’t feel good about the slight increase of interest rate exposed to us right before signing. He replied by offering a $1400 USD rebate (not part of loan but I’d have to make sure of that). He also added on free oil changes for life. We thanked him but expressed we’d still like to cancel.

We were on hold for almost two hours but finally got to a CSR. We explained our situation, gave our names and phone numbers and he attempted to pull up the loan information. He found absolutely nothing and told us that a loan like this wouldn’t be processed in less than a day. We went back into the dealership to tell them that. The sales manager showed us an ‘official document’ from the bank itself showing details of the loan. That’s when the GM came into the picture. He said that CSR’s normally wouldn’t have access to that kind of info so soon so that’s why the guy missed it. He was pretty stern, telling us that they’re within their rights to refuse any sort of unwinding of contract (which we acknowledged as well) but that he’s willing to sympathize with us. He explained why it’s not as simple as just ripping up the contract and going about our separate ways. Here’s his points:

« The way that registering a sold car works, we can’t register one and cancel that registration without the car’s status permanently changed to Used. The low interest rate that we offered you, we got from paying the bank that difference in interest (from a typical rate like 5-6%) out of our own pockets. If the car comes back to us as Used, we can’t offer that same low interest deal to others so we lose potential sales »

« You were already in a not so great situation with your Sorento. At an 8% interest rate, you’re spending over $10k in interest over 7 years. Why not put that same amount of money into paying down principal faster?

So as you can see, more sales tactics at play. My questions at that point: first the only issue is the bank already procesded the loan, now it’s also that they can’t unregister the car without penalties. Obviously they’re trying to keep us locked in. I explained some more how I’m feeling about this sale. Their general manager offered that we pay them $5k to offset their losses from: undoing the registration, from prepping the car for possession, etc. We’d get the contract voided and get our old car back, which they now own. That was his final word.

Alternative? Keep the contract, but with added incentives: $1.4k check (difference between 1.85% and 0.99% interest rate), free oil changes for life and a $1000 CAD credit for servicing from them.

I know that these incentives don’t measure up to our losses from going through with this loan so we don’t wanna go that route.

We left the dealership telling them we need an extra day to think this through. We’re still using the car we test drove as a loaner car for the time being. Still haven’t driven the new car so hopefully it’s not over yet.

FINAL UPDATE: The contract is now VOID! We did end up paying for some servicing fees on the original car (cleaning, tire changes they had already done) but considering they cancelled the contract for us, that was more than fair! We have 100% learned our lesson. Thank you all!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Check the last page

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Check the last page
Am I blind? I literally cannot find anything on the last 5 pages.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I didn't say anything about that post being there

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I didn't say anything about that post being there
Booo! Boo this man!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
"My payments are higher, and I'll pay another $13,000 overall, but I'm paying less interest!"

This coronavirus thing is going to absolutely loving wreck the auto industry. We've got an enormous loving bubble. If you want to buy a car, in a couple of months there will be a shitload of cheap, used, repo'd ones on the market.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know if it's bwm or gwm, but I pushed up the planned purchase of a new car by almost a year to take advantage of crazy covid deals.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't know if it's bwm or gwm, but I pushed up the planned purchase of a new car by almost a year to take advantage of crazy covid deals.

You bought way too early if you really want to take advantage of covid deals.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

That's what we thought (or some kind of psychosis from painkillers), but his wife and son are very into the same ideas and it seems unlikely that they all developed it at the same time.

:words:

I’ll take Desperate for Attention and Stupid for $200, Alex.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

n8r posted:

Estate sales are where the real deals will be.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

n8r posted:

Going to be a lot of repo deals in the very near future.

Midjack posted:

Estate sales are where the real deals will be.

Dang, you're darker than me. Respect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n8r posted:

Seriously. This is nowhere close at all. Basically nobody has even missed payments yet.

In a lot of ways this look like 2008, and that took at least 90 days. This could be faster because of how fast the shutdown happened, but I doubt it. The real pressure is personal and commercial loans in danger of going 90 days past due.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
As a person who never concerns themselves about the wellbeing of others, I most look forward to the days of $5000 getting you a good used car. I had to buy a car this summer and was shocked at how much I had to pay for a 2014 Prius.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

n8r posted:

As a person who never concerns themselves about the wellbeing of others, I most look forward to the days of $5000 getting you a good used car. I had to buy a car this summer and was shocked at how much I had to pay for a 2014 Prius.
Don't worry, now they want to destroy all those used cars in a Cash for Clunkers repeat. https://www.thedrive.com/news/32877/ford-wants-a-repeat-of-cash-for-clunkers-as-new-car-sales-tank

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Craptacular posted:

Don't worry, now they want to destroy all those used cars in a Cash for Clunkers repeat. https://www.thedrive.com/news/32877/ford-wants-a-repeat-of-cash-for-clunkers-as-new-car-sales-tank

Listen, if someone will give me money for a 2009 Volvo wagon with a reconstruction title I'm taking it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Thanatosian posted:

"My payments are higher, and I'll pay another $13,000 overall, but I'm paying less interest!"

This coronavirus thing is going to absolutely loving wreck the auto industry. We've got an enormous loving bubble. If you want to buy a car, in a couple of months there will be a shitload of cheap, used, repo'd ones on the market.

Unless the government does another Cash For Clunkers again, which the auto makers are pushing them to do. It was fuckin' stupid as hell the last time they did it which means it's almost certain to happen again.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Unless the government does another Cash For Clunkers again, which the auto makers are pushing them to do. It was fuckin' stupid as hell the last time they did it which means it's almost certain to happen again.

It's so true, how dumb to gently caress up everything for poor people who need cars than let you trash every single cheap car in existence basically.
It'll happen again

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DoubleT2172 posted:

It's so true, how dumb to gently caress up everything for poor people who need cars than let you trash every single cheap car in existence basically.
It'll happen again

The used car market existing hurts the manufacturers' bottom lines if you assume every used car purchased is a new car not purchased!

Much like how the RIAA argued that every mp3 downloaded was a sale that didn't happen, as opposed to someone who would otherwise go without!

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

We can get both poor people and old cars off the streets through a twisted metal style battle arena.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Tomfoolery posted:

We can get both poor people and old cars off the streets through a twisted metal style battle arena.

I can get behind this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

It'll happen again

Cash for Clunkers in the summer of 2009 did very little to help poor people, the environment, or pretty much anything or anyone other than automobile dealers, executives and stockholders.