Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

a.lo posted:

ill take a bunch of potatoes please

Send some bags to me I'll make delicious soups and roasts

Snipe? potatoes are good and nutritious and my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

No doubt the Landlords are poo poo but...

If they evict people, who are they going to get to rent those places right now? Everyone is unemployed and has an eviction on their references.

I imagine the truly vile ones will just sit tight, and then garnish their tenants for back rent and legal fees once the courts open back up.

Don't underestimate the desire for vulgar displays of power, even if they're counterproductive.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

on one hand lmao, on the other hand lmao gently caress Schumer

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1246084226702770177?s=21

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

amazing how people losing their jobs means we suddenly have too much food

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

When studying archaeology, the bronze age collapses, Greek dark age etc were super interesting and I always wondered about those bits not represented in the material record and how things went down. You can learn a lot from material evidence but are limited by what survives, the preservation conditions, having to interpret with no emic context etc. Not gonna lie the part of me trained for this is just agog at getting to live through this (provided I continue to live lol)

Oh poo poo! This is like my favorite subject because bronze age art rules, but then everything turns to poo poo and doesn't get good until the classical period. But the idea that all sorts of cities around the Mediterranean up and literally collapsed and burned by something connected is easily the best unsolved mystery. I was always fond of the idea that the Sea Peoples were basically large groups of refugees that caused tons of unrest by resettling in large numbers. In my head, there was always a long distance from a few thousand people showing up and starting separate settlements to great cities burning down to nothing but ruins. It was fun imagining how that may have happened.

That subject has a new injection with the concept of a pandemic after being able to view in current times how it affects multiple communities around the globe. The "Chahneese" virus of the late bronze age would have absolutely disrupted trade between the three powers and probably led to lots of finger pointing and blame. Yet none of that is in the recorded records that I'm aware of.

The next fun area of that stuff for me was cave art. Sooooooo many questions for our ancestors!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

im thinkin bout thos tubers

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
God I cannot overstate how much I loving hate this administration and it’s vile use of the supremacy clause to gently caress over states that need PPE supplies.

Impeach this rear end in a top hat today please.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

No doubt the Landlords are poo poo but...

If they evict people, who are they going to get to rent those places right now? Everyone is unemployed and has an eviction on their references.

I imagine the truly vile ones will just sit tight, and then garnish their tenants for back rent and legal fees once the courts open back up.

The ones that are going to get squirrely are the guys who live a half-step ahead of their mortgage payments. They can't afford to wait it out.

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
lol CNN now talking about BCG vaccine

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

every potato is also a seed. therein lies the solution: plant the billion kilos of excess potatoes in the ground, thereby kicking the can of potatoy worms neatly down the road

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What the gently caress is going on

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1246159461837942784

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Fleetwood posted:

lol I'm just outside Albany and haven't left the house in three weeks because no one here gives a gently caress about rona and it scares the poo poo out of me

which DD was it?

The one on Madison and Lark. I see it on my commute and it's still always busy.

You're right about no one here caring about the rona. I've been taking quarantine and safety very seriously because I was in NYC the first weekend of March. I've been a-ok thankfully. But up here, it looks like business as usual on the streets, especially warmer days.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You fool. You absolute rube. You have no idea how the world works.

https://twitter.com/ShaunGalNews/status/1246062515819249666?s=19

Just realized the invisible hand of the market is real and it's been jerking off for centuries

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Rabble posted:

God I cannot overstate how much I loving hate this administration and it’s vile use of the supremacy clause to gently caress over states that need PPE supplies.

Impeach this rear end in a top hat today please.

Too late dems already blew their impeachment wad over a perfect phone call

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You fool. You absolute rube. You have no idea how the world works.

https://twitter.com/ShaunGalNews/status/1246062515819249666?s=19

oranges and kerosene, pigs and quick lime

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Nothus posted:

The ones that are going to get squirrely are the guys who live a half-step ahead of their mortgage payments. They can't afford to wait it out.

Good point.

I did have some fun yesterday pointing out to a right-wing-radio listening coworker that this whole thing is showing that even our brilliant captains of industry don't have a 1 month rainy day fund.

Took the wind out of his pro business arguements right quick.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

JoeBangles posted:

Oh poo poo! This is like my favorite subject because bronze age art rules, but then everything turns to poo poo and doesn't get good until the classical period. But the idea that all sorts of cities around the Mediterranean up and literally collapsed and burned by something connected is easily the best unsolved mystery. I was always fond of the idea that the Sea Peoples were basically large groups of refugees that caused tons of unrest by resettling in large numbers. In my head, there was always a long distance from a few thousand people showing up and starting separate settlements to great cities burning down to nothing but ruins. It was fun imagining how that may have happened.

That subject has a new injection with the concept of a pandemic after being able to view in current times how it affects multiple communities around the globe. The "Chahneese" virus of the late bronze age would have absolutely disrupted trade between the three powers and probably led to lots of finger pointing and blame. Yet none of that is in the recorded records that I'm aware of.

The next fun area of that stuff for me was cave art. Sooooooo many questions for our ancestors!

I've been reading a book called From Jesus to Christianity and it really got me excited about ancient history. Some of the stuff like the Battle of Actium & the First Revolt (Roman army sieging Jerusalem) has me shook. How do I not know these things? Time to deep dive into history.

Mokelumne Trekka has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Apr 3, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

waitr how did you get tested

MediCal

went to an urgent care clinic, cost me nothing. wasn't expecting to get tested but they offered and i was like hell yeah lol. got double nostril swabbed

u either gotta be poor and in the right part of the right state, or rich as gently caress, to get proper medical care in this country :911:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

What can you advertise at this point

What's open, what's sold, what sports are happening, what films are playing, what band is performing

isnt the government offering forgivable loans to keep people employed, though? it has to be more expensive to shutter something and try to reopen it later than run at a deficit in the short term, right? you lose the eyes on your platform and who wants to advertise there in the future?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Corona has been cancelled https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/04/03/coronavirus-mexico-halts-corona-beer-production/

quote:

The Mexican brewing company that produces Corona beer announced Friday via Twitter that it will be halting the production of its well known beer.

Grupo Modelo said it was taking the actions to comply with the measures taken by Mexico’s federal government.

The company also expressed its complete commitment to fight against the virus.

The company said it will be donating 300,000 antibacterial gels made from brewed alcohol and will contribute in the future with more actions to fight the pandemic.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

That was one of my favorite beers :smith:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

meh modelo is better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rah! posted:

MediCal

went to an urgent care clinic, cost me nothing. wasn't expecting to get tested but they offered and i was like hell yeah lol. got double nostril swabbed

u either gotta be poor and in the right part of the right state, or rich as gently caress, to get proper medical care in this country :911:

oh lucky. i don't think i ever got bad enough to bother going in. still have a kind of dull stabbing pain in my right lung but otherwise i'm good

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

JoeBangles posted:

If you haven't seen it watch Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Werner Herzog.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AnoHito posted:

That was one of my favorite beers :smith:

:whitewater: never drink beer that comes in clear bottles

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Welcome to the revolution Comrade Marharyta, née Meghan

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

She's scared of her amazon orders being contaminated

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

There's a lecture on YouTube about the bronze age collapse that hypothesizes that it was due to a combination of refugees, epidemic, a famine, and a natural disaster such as an earthquake. The system could have withstood one or two of these shocks but not all for concurrently.

Maybe any similarities with our current situation are purely coincidental

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Homeless Friend posted:

She's scared of her amazon orders being contaminated

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

JoeBangles posted:

It's such a weird one to try to interpret because material evidence only goes so far, and writing was mostly functional for trading/stock accounting and recording and religious purposes, so there's no diary of Anne Frank where some rando villager is like 'dear diary, today the sea people came and they were from x place and here's the political situation and well everything just collapsed for these reasons'. There's just enough rumors to give ideas but they are the equivalent of trying to interpret a medieval text if you were only allowed to look at the marginalia. Physical evidence is like yes lol a collapse certainly happened, and later evidence is like yes a collapse happened, welp moving swiftly on

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

Any time you bring together a group of people and give them power, weapons, and opportunity, they will become corrupted, especially in capitalist societies where everything is based around money and The Self.
The ones who resist will be ostracized and isolated. It's human nature. The people with bad natures (racists and bullies) will fall into the corruption easier and that's why the US police force as a whole is the way it is.

There are good cops, but the entire system is geared to break them down or wash them out.

Reading this article that talks about that very process amongst black officers in the NYPD

quote:

In sum, though the names of these policing strategies have changed, one common thread remains the same — they create incentives for officers who seek to rise within the ranks of their departments to over-police African American communities. Given our earlier point about the pressures black officers likely feel to fit into their departments, these officers may experience stronger incentives than white officers to proactively police. Whether we are right in this respect is less important than our broader takeaway — namely, that the structure and organization of police work shapes the policing of all officers, not just those who are white.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2018/05/the-black-police-policing-our-own/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Dustcat posted:

amazing how people losing their jobs means we suddenly have too much food

I think this one makes sense in the same way that the toilet paper shortage did. When you deep fry something yourself there's no way to rationalize it as healthy or a good idea. Consequently 95% of my potato intake comes from restaurants where I don't have to see the magic happen.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

oh lucky. i don't think i ever got bad enough to bother going in. still have a kind of dull stabbing pain in my right lung but otherwise i'm good

yeah i had random stabbing pain in my chest here and there over the past few weeks too. but last night it turned into a constant dull pain that never left. Also have more of a cough now, but barely...its nothing compared to lung infections ive had in the past. Of course i could still breath properly during those lung infections, and they ended after 1-2 weeks. good times

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

how much of this is because Meghan is afraid her Amazon deliveries will get her sick?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

E Depois do Adeus posted:

There's a lecture on YouTube about the bronze age collapse that hypothesizes that it was due to a combination of refugees, epidemic, a famine, and a natural disaster such as an earthquake. The system could have withstood one or two of these shocks but not all for concurrently.

Maybe any similarities with our current situation are purely coincidental

voting for California earthquake / Florida hurricane 2020

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I'm guessing Meghan's angle is 'he isn't helping his own people, why should he help anyone else'

crabs in a buckeeeet

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

100 million to him is like me giving a homeless person a pound for a big issue or a cup of tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

holy poo poo the US is going to go from 100k -> 300k in a week