Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Many other games have already done it really well and it seems like a massive cop out to say that Valve isn't capable of doing at least as good of a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

honestly i can't tell who is saying, "this game is exceptional, i just wish they did even more of this one specific thing," and, "i want to be nit picky over the extremely popular well received thing"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

honestly i can't tell who is saying, "this game is exceptional, i just wish they did even more of this one specific thing," and, "i want to be nit picky over the extremely popular well received thing"

My personal opinion is that in VR a lot of very specific and seemingly nitpicky things are the difference between making a video game that happens to be in VR and making something that justifies the use of VR in making the world feel like an alternative plausible reality, and the second thing is what I actually want and care about and what I think will make VR successful long term

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

at the risk of sounding disingenuous, did this aspect of HL:A ruin the whole VR gaming experience or just make it not up to the level of the acclaimed success it is being touted as?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tweak posted:

I've said before it doesn't ruin the game, its still easily in my top 5 VR games, but its also without a doubt the one aspect that brings the game down the most. Its a big glaring flaw in an otherwise great project.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm sure it's both.

Taken as a whole, Half-Life Alyx is a fantastic game with exceptional writing, story beats, design and production values. It's by Valve so it gets the one-two punch of the best playtesting ever and also to ride on the hype that's in-built to being a Half-Life game. I personally think its is the best Half-Life game, and it's my favorite VR game. Lots of other people have said the same.

If you are more on team Oculus, or just in the realm of 'PUSH IT FORWARD' as you grit your teeth free moving at the speed of light, it would be easy to be more negative on it because of the fact that stuff like Stormlands gets overlooked. Or your favorite jankfest that is Boneworks.

The only thing I want from Alyx is 'more', and, failing that, mod tools so people can really gently caress with things. IF Valve decides to SDK with Alyx like the did the OG Half-Life we can see all sorts of rich content that we saw when the modding scene for Half-Life was starting up. Maybe, possibly. We won't ever get that with Facebook.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's also not fair to say it's a 2016 era game like one person said, when 2016 was the time when developers were saying it was impossible to do continuous movement and turning because it would make people constantly throw up.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure it's both.

Taken as a whole, Half-Life Alyx is a fantastic game with exceptional writing, story beats, design and production values. It's by Valve so it gets the one-two punch of the best playtesting ever and also to ride on the hype that's in-built to being a Half-Life game. I personally think its is the best Half-Life game, and it's my favorite VR game. Lots of other people have said the same.

If you are more on team Oculus, or just in the realm of 'PUSH IT FORWARD' as you grit your teeth free moving at the speed of light, it would be easy to be more negative on it because of the fact that stuff like Stormlands gets overlooked. Or your favorite jankfest that is Boneworks.

The only thing I want from Alyx is 'more', and, failing that, mod tools so people can really gently caress with things. IF Valve decides to SDK with Alyx like the did the OG Half-Life we can see all sorts of rich content that we saw when the modding scene for Half-Life was starting up. Maybe, possibly. We won't ever get that with Facebook.

How did this turn into an oculus/facebook rant?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

at the risk of sounding disingenuous, did this aspect of HL:A ruin the whole VR gaming experience or just make it not up to the level of the acclaimed success it is being touted as?

Kind of both? Every time I hit one of those hitches it's like going over a pothole with no suspension. It doesn't ruin the whole thing but it absolutely hurts and shocks me out of the game. I still finished it and I think it's a good game, but I think that this is a case where people are going to sour on those aspects over time as they get exposed to VR games with smoother and better made-for-VR mechanics. As an example, I think Lone Echo has aged superbly and I don't think Alyx will. Alyx's visuals and world building are phenomenal and are what made the game worth playing overall for me. Without those I would've quit after one session.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HL:Alyx isn't as amazing as everyone is making it out to be. This guy put it perfectly.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half-Life: Alyx is an amazing VR masterpiece circa 2016.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tom Guycot posted:

How did this turn into an oculus/facebook rant?

Stormlands and Lone Echo are Oculus games? :confused:

Lemming posted:

As an example, I think Lone Echo has aged superbly and I don't think Alyx will. Alyx's visuals and world building are phenomenal and are what made the game worth playing overall for me. Without those I would've quit after one session.

See?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kaker, I have nothing but love for you, but its really coming across like some weird playground nintendo vs sega thing when you're trying to imply the only reason someone might have an issue with the game is some ulterior motive.

Its a good game, it can just be a good game and still have flaws. People not thinking its perfect the way it is isn't because of some sinister motivations outside the game itself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

HL:Alyx isn't as amazing as everyone is making it out to be. This guy put it perfectly.

I think it's amazing because I have no loving tolerance for Boneworks-style nauseating poo poo. For someone who wants to just teleport around and have the gun stuck to their hand it's one of the most comfortable VR experiences, and all the polish went into great set-pieces, scripting/pacing, and leisurely exploration and not stuff I don't care about like kinematics and finicky jungle-gym stuff.

Basically if it's a step back, it's a step I'm happy they took.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Tom Guycot posted:

Kaker, I have nothing but love for you, but its really coming across like some weird playground nintendo vs sega thing when you're trying to imply the only reason someone might have an issue with the game is some ulterior motive.

Its a good game, it can just be a good game and still have flaws. People not thinking its perfect the way it is isn't because of some sinister motivations outside the game itself.

yea it’s definitely more akin to, “i liked vr before it was cool”

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There's nothing better than trying to have a good faith argument and try to back up all of my points and have it dismissed as just being a hipster/and or fanboy, what a fun discussion

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

maybe if it was still 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tweak posted:

yea it’s definitely more akin to, “i liked vr before it was cool”

:ughh:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It's just a loving game you nerds, play a different one if you don't like it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Only hipster elitists prefer more features in their games instead of less."

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm only on chapter 8 so maybe it comes up at the end, but right now I'm really sad I don't get the gravity. That just seems like it's built for a VR.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Tom Guycot posted:

Again, every single other VR action game manages to holster weapons without issue.

I have hosed up holsters in sairento and boneworks constantly. It is I, the guy for whom the wrist mount was made!

I think it is because I am like all back compared to other people maybe? But put thing in right holster and what do you know it fell to the floor.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Tweak posted:

for me, its a great game and im loving playing it, It has some things that I wish it did better. I only gripe on the things i wish it did better because i want it to be the perfect masterpiece it deserves to be. if someone walked up to me and said should i buy HL:Alyx I'd yell emphatically in their face yes.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

bizwank posted:

It's just a loving game you nerds, play a different one if you don't like it

I'm pretty sure we all like the game, that doesn't mean we can't discuss what parts we found disappointing. This is a thread for discussing VR, it's not exclusively for circle-jerking.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jack Trades posted:

Stormland (IMO best VR action gameplay to date) lets you carry 4 guns and I literally never had an issue with picking out the wrong gun in that game ever. Both hips and behind both shoulders.
Bonework's under-the-armpit holsters worked really well too.

Plenty of solutions to choose from.

Has anyone been able to make Stormland not suck with reVive yet?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
lol you guys my argument was that Alyx doesn't need to impress us, VR havers. We were in this poo poo before it was cool (as was said). I was pointing out that if you feel like games such as Stormlands or Lone Echo pushed VR forward, then Alyx comes out and everyone says it's the best BUT you feel it's a regression compared to games that have already come out you might have a much easier time being critical of Alyx and Valve.

I bring up Oculus games because there wasn't anyone actually producing games that could even be thought of as AAA, right? Boneworks is cool but is a weird euro-jank Stalker-like experience.

Who besides Oculus was making anything like Alyx before Valve? I can respect Oculus' games while being critical of how they sell them.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tip posted:

I'm pretty sure we all like the game, that doesn't mean we can't discuss what parts we found disappointing. This is a thread for discussing VR, it's not exclusively for circle-jerking.
Personal attacks are not "discussing", which is strictly what I found objectionable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a feeling that the people saying alyx is a 2016 game weren't around for games in 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I have a feeling that the people saying alyx is a 2016 game weren't around for games in 2016

Games like Arizona Sunshine? :v:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

bizwank posted:

Personal attacks are not "discussing", which is strictly what I found objectionable.

Skimming through the closest thing I can find to a personal attack is you jumping in and calling people nerds.

Cojawfee posted:

It's also not fair to say it's a 2016 era game like one person said, when 2016 was the time when developers were saying it was impossible to do continuous movement and turning because it would make people constantly throw up.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you weren't around in 2016? There were games with smooth locomotion and free movement including Arizona Sunshine and The Climb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was around in 2016, I'm the OP of the previous VR thread...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arizona Sunshine let you hold your gun with your left hand if you wanted to open a door with your right hand. :shrug:

Also you could holster your gun in that game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 4, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tip posted:

Maybe you weren't around in 2016? There were games with smooth locomotion and free movement including Arizona Sunshine and The Climb.

Didn't Arizona Sunshine release with teleport only at first, and it took them until 2017 to add smooth?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I specifically remember wishing games had smooth movement when I got my Vive, which was I started doing experiments in UE4 to try it out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Games like Arizona Sunshine? :v:

Arizona Sunshine, Onward, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, were all around in 2016 and had holsters on the body.

Like, thats the only thing thats making me scratch my head in all this, it feels like people are all of a sudden saying holsters are now some strange experimental only for hard core VR users pushing boundaries kind of feature.

EDIT:

And I mean, as far as smooth movement, I remember at launch stuff like Adr1ft, Time Machine VR, Technolust, Fated, Dead Secret, and others that were smooth. Its not like it was some rare thing back then, or even as far back as the tuscany demo and stuff.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 4, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Arizona Sunshine, Onward, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, were all around in 2016 and had holsters on the body.

Like, thats the only thing thats making me scratch my head in all this, it feels like people are all of a sudden saying holsters are now some strange experimental only for hard core VR users pushing boundaries kind of feature.

EDIT:

And I mean, as far as smooth movement, I remember at launch stuff like Adr1ft, Time Machine VR, Technolust, Fated, Dead Secret, and others that were smooth. Its not like it was some rare thing back then, or even as far back as the tuscany demo and stuff.

My hot take is that Alyx is basically a triple A version of Arizona Sunshine. Very similar in design in a lot of ways, especially in how it's a linear setpiece driven single player FPS game, all the way down to being designed around teleportation and then having smooth locomotion added in late/after the game launched. Alyx is obviously on another level, but still

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lemming posted:

My hot take is that Alyx is basically a triple A version of Arizona Sunshine. Very similar in design in a lot of ways, especially in how it's a linear setpiece driven single player FPS game, all the way down to being designed around teleportation and then having smooth locomotion added in late/after the game launched. Alyx is obviously on another level, but still

I don't think they have very much to tie them together, aside from being single player FPS games. Arizona Sunshine is much less focused on telling a story and environments tend to be very sparse. It's about as similar to Alyx as Half-Life 2 is to a Call of Duty campaign - sure, it's the same genre, but they're not doing the same thing within that genre.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT:

It's not that either of these things are crazy and unheard of, but that for what Valve is wanting to do with Alyx - an accessible AAA VR title - they felt that teleportation and button weapon switching made more sense than physical holsters or designing around smooth movement. I'm not particularly convinced smooth movement is any more immersive than teleportation anyway, unless you ride a segway around everywhere.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pierson posted:

My headset finally arrived and it's incredible, everything I hoped for and more. I tried Alyx first thing and after experimenting with the movement options I did get pretty queasy with the 'regular' movement, so I'm gonna stick with teleporting. Is it better to slowly acclimate myself with just a few minutes at first and play for longer periods only after I've gotten used to it?

Still, incredible tech.

Also what are some decent games you can play sitting down? I think I need to ease into this.

I played the majority of Lone Echo sitting down and don’t feel I missed a thing

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

I don't think they have very much to tie them together, aside from being single player FPS games. Arizona Sunshine is much less focused on telling a story and environments tend to be very sparse. It's about as similar to Alyx as Half-Life 2 is to a Call of Duty campaign - sure, it's the same genre, but they're not doing the same thing within that genre.

Yeah, that's why I called it the AAA version. It's obviously on another level, they're just similar mechanically in a lot of ways. There's a similar thread between them that approaches your encounter in similar ways, though there are obviously still huge differences. Stuff like the floating hands, in the case of Arizona Sunshine they also do the thing where your hand disappears when you grab an object which was done for similar reasons people think you shouldn't have IK visible right now, ie that seeing the hand grab it in a way you're not grabbing IRL is immersion breaking (which I disagree with (also here's where a Job Sim dev talks about why they do it that way, and they even use a similar justification as in that Valve interview before where they say it's more of an issue for spectators and not a big deal for the person in VR))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjc7AJwZ4DI&t=1795s

I haven't really been able to articulate the mindset that I am disagreeing with but I think it probably comes down to the difference between "What can we get away with doing in VR? What doesn't make things worse, how can we take advantage of the disconnect that the players will tolerate?" and "How do we enhance the feeling of connectedness and groundedness in the world with the player? How do we contribute to a believable illusion that you're somewhere you're not?" and I think doing the second thing is much, much harder but it's unbelievably powerful when done well in VR

Edit: I don't have a better way of phrasing it but I don't want to be unfair to what I listed as that first mindset, I don't think it's a negative thing that anyone's doing or anyone's being cynical about it, I just don't know how to phrase it in a way that doesn't seem like I'm denigrating it (even though I am because I disagree with it and I think it's wrong (but I'm really not because I don't think people are actively thinking that, they're just trying to do other things and figuring out things that work well enough to serve their other goals, I think people should just be prioritizing that sense of reality and groundedness and consistent set of rules in fantastic universes more than they do))

Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cargohills posted:

It's not that either of these things are crazy and unheard of, but that for what Valve is wanting to do with Alyx - an accessible AAA VR title - they felt that teleportation and button weapon switching made more sense than physical holsters or designing around smooth movement. I'm not particularly convinced smooth movement is any more immersive than teleportation anyway, unless you ride a segway around everywhere.

I think there's an aspect of "learned immersion"; smoothly sliding around isn't realistic, but we've been moving around like that in first person flat screen games for a long time so we've become accustomed to finding that immersive. Teleport movement doesn't have that aspect unless you've spent the last ten years playing first person point-and-click adventures.