Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

HaB posted:

I hate to be that guy but - isn't the correct module name "Vue" not "vue"?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Anyone else having issues with babel? Like installing stuff from it? We're getting errors about stuff about proposal-numeric-separator and available-plugins.js. I see there was a change to 7.9.0 a couple of hours ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Anyone else having issues with babel? Like installing stuff from it? We're getting errors about stuff about proposal-numeric-separator and available-plugins.js. I see there was a change to 7.9.0 a couple of hours ago.

I noticed the vulnerability number ticking upwards the past week, I think the current situation has made some maintainers update the warnings. Perhaps someone somewhere in the chain has eagerly updated their dependencies and broken something.

I've made a pandemic resolution to cut at least two major dependencies from our codebase before I'm back at work.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So as a follow up to my original issue, even though I'm using Angular, it's bad for React too

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

This might not be the best place to ask this, but I'ma try:
Is there a web based service that provides custom form creation where forms can be sent to selected user daily for reporting. With a visual interface to display/sort/whatever the data from the reports. With user authentication. Does something like that exist? Preferably easy and cheap?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

uncle blog posted:

Is there a web based service that provides custom form creation where forms can be sent to selected user daily for reporting. With a visual interface to display/sort/whatever the data from the reports. With user authentication. Does something like that exist? Preferably easy and cheap?

Google Forms maybe? Never used it a form-maker but I've filled out plenty.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

uncle blog posted:

I can't speak to the authentication side of things, but I've recently been impressed with airtable.com for filling in the missing quality of life features that Google Sheets lacks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

go play outside Skyler posted:

Google Forms maybe? Never used it a form-maker but I've filled out plenty.

Yeah, it's good for that. We used it for our wedding RSVPs and ended up with a nice spreadsheet we didn't have to do data entry on ourselves :D

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

In a React app, what's the best way to play css animations in a sequence? To have one start as the first one finishes, like they're queued up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

uncle blog posted:

In a React app, what's the best way to play css animations in a sequence? To have one start as the first one finishes, like they're queued up.

Use state and some setTimeouts to change the classname on the element. You'll have to match the timer in the setTimeout to your animation's duration.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

uncle blog posted:

CSS animation? You can have quite complicated animations that appear "chained" if you use keyframes and/or the animation-delay property. If you need more precise JS based control, try GreenSock.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 3, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Anony Mouse posted:

CSS animation? You can have quite complicated animations that appear "chained" if you use keyframes and/or the animation-delay property. If you need more precise JS based control, try GreenSock.

Seconding CSS animation / keyframes.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Architecture/general design question: Let's say you have a filter menu component that only shows up on certain pages. And it's not consistent from page to page. Pages Foo and Bar could have slightly different options, and Page Bazz doesn't have a filter component at all.

Does it make more sense for each page-level component to tell the filter component what it wants display, what it wants hidden, and any other extra components that might be needed? Or is it better to have some sort of "config" file inside the filter button that decides what to render based on the page it's currently on?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

The Dark Wind posted:

Architecture/general design question: Let's say you have a filter menu component that only shows up on certain pages. And it's not consistent from page to page. Pages Foo and Bar could have slightly different options, and Page Bazz doesn't have a filter component at all.

Does it make more sense for each page-level component to tell the filter component what it wants display, what it wants hidden, and any other extra components that might be needed? Or is it better to have some sort of "config" file inside the filter button that decides what to render based on the page it's currently on?

Hmm I'd say you'd want the filter component to be as stateless as possible. So you would want the first option (each page tells the component what to do), presumably all dond through input params or props or something.

Then if you have an unwieldy number of pages that need unique settings, you can add a layer on top of the page level using your config file concept. I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be, maybe some sort of angular service/router add-on? Or global object or parent component in some other framework..

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lumpy posted:

Seconding CSS animation / keyframes.

WebAnimations is actually designed for this, basically CPU governed GPU animation. A lot of Apple’s website uses this tech now. Tends to be smoother than pure CSS animation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

We have a client that want either a native app or web app that serves DRM-protected videos to subscribers that are also available on a user's phone if they are offline. No idea where to even start. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Start looking at Widevine? :lol: at the ask: I want a Netflix.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MrMoo posted:

WebAnimations is actually designed for this, basically CPU governed GPU animation. A lot of Apple’s website uses this tech now. Tends to be smoother than pure CSS animation.

It doesn’t have the support yet to recommend it to single devs / small teams. If you don’t care about mobile, then fine, but my primary web surfing tool (the iPad Pro I’m typing this post on) doesn’t support it by default. If you can get by with the features that you can’t poly fill, I guess that’s cool too.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 4, 2020

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I’ve used it since 2014 when it was only a polyfill, and still works better than CSS animations. iOS includes native support according to the feature tests: and I highly doubt Apple would be using it so much if it were otherwise. What support are you looking for?

ha, did Apple just add support for it?

https://caniuse.com/#feat=web-animation

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 4, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If I go to Mozilla’s webAnimations Demi, and another few demo sites, I get “no support “

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

WebAnimations were disabled on iOS by default until the most recent point release(13.4).

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for the animation tips! So, if I want a component to run an animation every time a button is clicked, do I need to give that component a class, and then remove it again when the animation is done? There is no better way to "trigger" the animation?

And the best way to remove it afterwards is with setTimeOut or onAnimationEnd?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Don't worry, I also have this problem:

I have a file with a method to call an Airtable API and retrieve a string. In my React component I try to call it with an async await function. But no matter what I try, I either get an unresolved promise, or undefined returned. So I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what?

code:
// api.js
export const getName = async () => {
  await base("Main").find("rec2932095", function (err, record) {
    if (err) {
      console.error(err);
      return;
    }
    console.log("Retrieved", record.name);
    return record.name;
  });
};

// MyComponent.jsx
var name = "";
const init = async () => {
    name = await getName();
};
init();

useEffect(() => {
  if(name){
     setLocationName(name)
  }
}, [name]);

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Try making the call in the useEffect.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

uncle blog posted:

Don't worry, I also have this problem:

I have a file with a method to call an Airtable API and retrieve a string. In my React component I try to call it with an async await function. But no matter what I try, I either get an unresolved promise, or undefined returned. So I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what

You’re not returning the result of the await call (line 2 of your api.js)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is airtable supposed to be using async? It looks like it's just using callbacks. I think you could still write api.js to give you a nice async wrapper around the airtable api but are you sure you're supposed to be await-ing the call to base?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Asking here because maybe a different set of eyes than The Web Design & Development Megathread:

Anyone have experience with Bit? I tried the Vue tutorial and in the end I don't think it works correctly. When viewing it on the website, I had to set engine to Vue (it was defaulted to React), but even then it looks like the styling didn't take effect.

Semi-Related, I just don't 100% "get" styled components. Should they be 100% self contained? Wouldn't that mean you're repeating the same code (for, say a site-wide treatment of <p>) over and over again?

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

The Merkinman posted:

Asking here because maybe a different set of eyes than The Web Design & Development Megathread:

Anyone have experience with Bit? I tried the Vue tutorial and in the end I don't think it works correctly. When viewing it on the website, I had to set engine to Vue (it was defaulted to React), but even then it looks like the styling didn't take effect.

Semi-Related, I just don't 100% "get" styled components. Should they be 100% self contained? Wouldn't that mean you're repeating the same code (for, say a site-wide treatment of <p>) over and over again?

Honestly I don't like self styled components. As you said, they have alot of repeated style and scoping issues. Imagine having to change some color or size value in your site. .. The other issue is that if you ever want to outsource some css work, that person now has to know vue.js.

The upside is keeping your logic in one place. However, I think that you can get the same upside by keeping your css seperate and using a class based system like BEM.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The Merkinman posted:

The React answer (I think) is that you should be componentizing the styling, so instead of having styled <p>s everywhere, you've got a <StyledParagraph> that reduces down to a <p> with that global style

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

dupersaurus posted:

The React answer (I think) is that you should be componentizing the styling, so instead of having styled <p>s everywhere, you've got a <StyledParagraph> that reduces down to a <p> with that global style

Yup.

Site wide css is still good too. Just depends on your needs.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

Yep. We have a Typography folder of components (LargeHeader, BodyCopy1, BodyCopy2, etc.) that the design team specced in the style guide, and we built. If you use copy at all in the app, you use one of these. This keeps type consistent all over the app and removes "special snowflakes" that you have to manually hunt down if the design team updates the style guide.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Thanks for the info about Styled Components.. has anyone used Bit and had my same issue of it not working correctly?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Utility-first CSS systems like Tailwind play really nice with React and any other component-based libraries. I've done vanilla CSS, filthy SASS nesting, strict BEM, CSS-in-JS, and Tailwind is my favourite. The workflow is so nice.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm having trouble getting a transition to animate in React. This is the component:
code:
import React from "react";
import styled from "styled-components";

const Container = styled.button`
  cursor: pointer;
  border: 0;
  height: 26px;
  width: 40px;
  border-radius: 13px;
  transition: padding 0.5s ease-in-out, background-color 0.5s ease-in-out;
  padding: 2px 16px 2px 2px;
  background-color: #909090;

&.active {
    padding: 2px 2px 2px 16px;
    background-color: #2a2859;
  }
`;

const InnerButton = styled.div`
  height: 22px;
  width: 22px;
  background-color: #fff;
  border-radius: 11px;
`;

const SlideButton = ({ active, onClick }) => {
  return (
    <Container className={active ? "active" : ""} onClick={onClick}>
      <InnerButton />
    </Container>
  );
};

export default SlideButton;
So I'm toggling the active prop from a parent component, and the class gets applied, but instead of animating it simply switches state. Is this because of some rerendering interrupting the animation?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is this component somehow getting unmounted and re-mounted instead of just re-rendered? Just as a test try moving "active" to local component state and change the onclick to toggle it. If the transition happens it means something in your parent is causing it to unmount and re-mount. If the transition still doesn't happen then you might have an issue with the transition itself.

You could also use react dev tools to manually change the value of the "active" prop i think, that might be an easier way to check.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks. It turned it happened because the containing component was declared within the parent component (which I guess is a bad way to do it?). Took it out and everything seemed to work.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My boss wants to rope me into hiring a new react dev, anyone have anything in particular they like to screen with? If there's anything I'm worse with than being interviewed, it's interviewing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

My boss wants to rope me into hiring a new react dev, anyone have anything in particular they like to screen with? If there's anything I'm worse with than being interviewed, it's interviewing.

as an interviewee, just please don't ask a front-end developer to do hackerrank for 2 hours. just ask them to implement a mockup. use it to have them demonstrate key skills you want. don't make it too complicated (you don't want to spend 4h per candidate when checking the code)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

uncle blog posted:

Thanks. It turned it happened because the containing component was declared within the parent component (which I guess is a bad way to do it?). Took it out and everything seemed to work.

Oh like const SlideButton = yadda yadda was happening right inside your other component? Yeah, so then every time your parent component was rendering it would be making that function again. You can definitely declare child components in the same file as their parent (and I recommend it for small child components like the one you've got here), but you generally don't want to do it right inside the function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Inacio posted:

as an interviewee, just please don't ask a front-end developer to do hackerrank for 2 hours. just ask them to implement a mockup. use it to have them demonstrate key skills you want. don't make it too complicated (you don't want to spend 4h per candidate when checking the code)

Yeah there's no appetite for stuff like that. If we do a test I'd argue for giving them a small app that functions but violates good practices in places, and have them work/talk through identifying and fixing them.