Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Vandar posted:

The reference to that in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is kiiind of hosed up.

You misspelled amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Revelations is about Altair and Ezio coming to terms that they will be replaced by others in dozens of future Assassin's Creed games.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Same goes for Revelations, where nothing new is revealed.

It literally reveals what happened to Altair.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just said Revelations of the top of my head, I forgot they actually used that title.

Constantinople sucked.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And it's revealed to Ezio that his entire storied accomplished world changing life was just so that the aliens could send a message to what's his face the present time guy that amounted to hang in there baby

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vandar posted:

The reference to that in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is kiiind of hosed up.

That's maybe the most horribly funny joke Nintendo's ever made in a game.

gently caress that whole dark edginess subplot in Ground Zeroes, I almost just quit there before MGSV proper. But thankfully it's mostly ignorable once you get to the main game, aside from the cutscene you've already seen by that point.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Constantinople sucked.

:manning:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

I just said Revelations of the top of my head, I forgot they actually used that title.

Constantinople sucked.

That’s probably why it got the works.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

A general thing that I always dread in Nintendo platformers - does anyone else hate Boo Houses in the Mario franchise? They always have a massive difficulty spike due to annoying enemies and sometimes confusing puzzles that make you take far too long to get through the level.

No way man! They're always my favorite parts of the games because they're challenging due to time limits and puzzles and (generally) not tough platforming stuff, they're a nice break from the normal flow of things for me. Yeah, the enemies can be tough, but generally they're very slow and/or move in a very predictable way that can be exploited.

Try muting the music, it eases the tension considerably.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This is probably based on my own luck instead of the game but Deep Rock Galactic has a system where you can get overclocks which modify your weapons in different ways. They’re not super easy to get and from what I know they are completely random.

I’ve gotten about 15 of them and only one of them is for the class I play which is really annoying.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SkeletonHero posted:

That’s probably why it got the works.

Hey, hey, that's nobody's business but the Turks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been getting into Red Dead Redemption 2 and it is such a Rockstar game. Looks and sounds absolutely amazing, puts you right there in the world it's crafting, makes everything ten times as complicated as necessary and takes twice as long to animate it as you'd want. In every aspect it's exactly what I expected. It's a game like that one Douglas Adams line: looks like a fish, moves like a fish, handles like a cow.

If they keep this up you really will have to fuel up your car in GTA VI like everyone's been weirdly hoping for since San Andreas, except every time you'll actually have to walk around to the gas cap and open it, then retrieve the nozzle and hold R2 to pump gas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
You could pump gas in chinatown Wars but that was for making molotov cocktails

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I replayed South Park Stick of Truth earlier this year and I think it's still absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed it so much that I figured I'd give the more recent Fractured But Whole a go, even though it's from an era of South Park that I utterly despise and unsurprisingly I was proven right as soon as the character PC Principal showed up to really stick it to those leftie loonies who believe in things like "racism", but that's not a little thing dragging the game down.

The little thing that just ruins this game is the superhero nonsense. In Stick of Truth you were a bunch of kids playing make believe orcs and elves. You were a wizard fighting monsters, in that you were a kid in a bathrobe and pointy hat shooting firecrackers at rats in a sewer. It was charming as hell. In Fractured But Whole all the characters just inexplicably have superpowers and it's just so lame. They decided to make a whole game based around some of the worst episodes of that show and it's just utterly joyless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been getting into Red Dead Redemption 2 and it is such a Rockstar game. Looks and sounds absolutely amazing, puts you right there in the world it's crafting, makes everything ten times as complicated as necessary and takes twice as long to animate it as you'd want. In every aspect it's exactly what I expected. It's a game like that one Douglas Adams line: looks like a fish, moves like a fish, handles like a cow.

If they keep this up you really will have to fuel up your car in GTA VI like everyone's been weirdly hoping for since San Andreas, except every time you'll actually have to walk around to the gas cap and open it, then retrieve the nozzle and hold R2 to pump gas.

A streamer I follow recently figured out that in GTA V cars actually do leak fuel onto the ground if you shoot the tank and it doesn't blow up, and eventually the fuel will run out and the car won't run anymore. So Rockstar can make it happen, surely, they just don't feel enough spite toward the players... Yet. Better keep buying those GTA Online shark cards!

Also I really dislike holding a button to not walk. Hold a button to sprint? Sure. Hold a button to move faster than a snail's pace? Why

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Apr 3, 2020

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
I've decided I hate variable movement speed in general.

Have me zip around at top speed at all times, no extra buttons required. Maybe give me a slightly-slower stealth mode if the game really calls for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The annoying thing about GTA V's controls is that it has a fix built in. In shootouts etc they put you in a different control mode where you move at jogging speed unless you push the stick lightly, and run button becomes 'hold to sprint, tap to sprint faster' like in previous GTA games. It's called "action mode" but there's no way to actually enable it for just general control. I used a mod to force me into action mode at all times and another to fix the animations for when you're out of combat and it was so much better.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Apr 3, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

AC Unity: This game runs into the Horatio problem where the UI doesn't even try to hide the fact that there other time periods in the game to explore. I've just started and the progress-tracker tells me outside of Versailles and Paris there's also a middle-ages and WW2 map.

A game where the Interface doesn't spoil the story in advance would be FFVII. Aeris/Aerith gets a super limit-break like everyone else but its so hidden that you might not get it until long past the point you could have used it. They could have taken the twist further by letting you pick up and buy new weapons for her in the second half despite losing her to highlight her absence.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
This Divinity 2 Original Sin II game is doing everything in its power to make me quit. Finding out a fight isn't winnable until you're actually in it sucks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deadfire solved that problem easily. Any bounties or quests too high for you are marked with skulls, and the journal tells you which companions are worth bringing to side-quests because they give extra context.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So Rockstar can make it happen, surely, they just don't feel enough spite toward the players... Yet.
If you have an electric car you're gonna need to find charging stations

the charging stations will be blocked by caricatures of hipster businessmen and you'll need to press square to chase them off or circle to kill them

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Crash Bandicoot 2 - It's pretty lovely of the devs to put the time trial clock in one level after an enemy you either kill perfectly or die to, so if you don't trust your reflexes that much it's a few seconds between attempts instead of retrying the run immediately like in every other stage

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AC Unity: This game runs into the Horatio problem where the UI doesn't even try to hide the fact that there other time periods in the game to explore. I've just started and the progress-tracker tells me outside of Versailles and Paris there's also a middle-ages and WW2 map.
At least there's a Middle Ages bit in the intro so it's not too surprising. The WW2 bit has no excuse though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A game where the Interface doesn't spoil the story in advance would be FFVII. Aeris/Aerith gets a super limit-break like everyone else but its so hidden that you might not get it until long past the point you could have used it. They could have taken the twist further by letting you pick up and buy new weapons for her in the second half despite losing her to highlight her absence.

That, combined with the source code mined info indicating that she had dialogue options at a later stage and/or the death was possibly reversible, caused the gaming world to go to the biggest wild goose chase ever seen, only rivaled by the Bigfoot cult in GTA3:SA. And at least part of that Bigfoot stuff has to be intentional.

Edit: Its most likely that her death was always going to happen, but some events switched places during the development and not every legacy piece of code was tidied up for the version that was released.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Apr 3, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Der Kyhe posted:

That, combined with the source code mined info indicating that she had dialogue options at a later stage and/or the death was possibly reversible, caused the gaming world to go to the biggest wild goose chase ever seen, only rivaled by the Bigfoot cult in GTA3:SA. And at least part of that Bigfoot stuff has to be intentional.

Edit: Its most likely that her death was always going to happen, but some events switched places during the development and not every legacy piece of code was tidied up for the version that was released.

There actually aren't that many lines for Aerith after her death; there's only, like, two, and they're extremely generic. Basically just 'we have to write unique responses for everyone falling into the snow' or the like. Which is basically the flimsiest possible evidence, it's entirely possible that they just didn't bother to take her out of the 'all-party generic response' list for the first disc, because it would actually be more work organizationally.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The new Animal Crossing has placed absolutely too much emphasis on the player gathering materials for new residents and town advancement. This poo poo feels like MMO fetch quests and mobile games had a baby and it's ruining what otherwise is a lovely aesthetic. I poured hundreds of hours into the original GameCube game.

I got up to adding 3 new houses for new residents and I gotta make like 20 pieces of furniture? No thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spouse posted:

The new Animal Crossing has placed absolutely too much emphasis on the player gathering materials for new residents and town advancement. This poo poo feels like MMO fetch quests and mobile games had a baby and it's ruining what otherwise is a lovely aesthetic. I poured hundreds of hours into the original GameCube game.

I got up to adding 3 new houses for new residents and I gotta make like 20 pieces of furniture? No thanks.

It's more like 18, three inside and three outside.

Better hope you have all the stuff in your inventory and not the storage because the game doesn't pull from that, you've gotta actually have the literal garbage in your pockets to craft trash bags.

The fact you can't tell it to craft x numbers of a thing gets me too.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It was endearing seeing everybody freak out at first going "oh my god my second villager X just said [exactly the same line everybody gets before they pass the surprisingly long on-rails intro sequence] he's the best!!!" and I'm fine with almost zero variation in the dialogue during that period, but even after that, multiple characters of the same personality type will give you the same lines for their recruitment path, recipe giving, anything that's not your generic randomized chat. AFAIK there's six personality types and a ten person population cap, why not make two variations of each (while still using the same shared pool for general chat)? You don't have to go full Shadow of Mordor (though it would be welcome!), just make it so you don't have people saying the same poo poo to you in a row.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
To my dying breath I will complain about how terrible your movement is in GTA V. Something as simple as turning around is so aggravating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

To my dying breath I will complain about how terrible your movement is in GTA V. Something as simple as turning around is so aggravating.

Rockstar is dogshit at having moving your character in the world be easy or simple. They want everything to have weight for realism purposes, but it makes everything feel unnatural. I don’t have to think about slowing down to stop where I want, my brain just handles all that automatically.

And don’t even get me started on mashing a button to sprint, that died alone a long long time ago for a reason. It’s unfun and increased wear on a controller for less than no benefit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been playing Binding of Isaac a bit lately and I still really like it despite all of its flaws, but it reminded me of one of my least favorite gaming things: dark games. As in, games that make it intentionally hard to see what you're doing as a mechanic. Some games use it for atmospheric effect and that's fine, but if it's a game designed around seeing what you're doing and then all of a sudden you can't it's just terrible. It's like having a bad camera as an intentional game mechanic. Whenever I see that "adjust the slider until you can barely see the image" prompt I just crank it all the way to the right because this poo poo sucks so much I'm willing to ruin a game's visual design simply to not have to deal with it.

spouse posted:

Another franchise ruined by ~*crafting*~ then? rip

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Apr 3, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nah it's a lot of fun imo, I banged all those out in a day using stuff I was collecting anyway. The lack of inventory access from outside your house and the lack of making multiple items at once are the main issues with the crafting focus.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm not a fan of the rocket-barrel flying levels like "Crowded Cavern" in Donkey Kong Country Returns because the controls for it are a little annoying. When there are a lot of obstacles to avoid it just turns into flappy bird.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been playing Binding of Isaac a bit lately and I still really like it despite all of its flaws, but it reminded me of one of my least favorite gaming things: dark games. As in, games that make it intentionally hard to see what you're doing as a mechanic. Some games use it for atmospheric effect and that's fine, but if it's a game designed around seeing what you're doing and then all of a sudden you can't it's just terrible. It's like having a bad camera as an intentional game mechanic. Whenever I see that "adjust the slider until you can barely see the image" prompt I just crank it all the way to the right because this poo poo sucks so much I'm willing to ruin a game's visual design simply to not have to deal with it.

Ugh, me too - I don't crank it all the way to full brightness or anything (I think games are generally too weirdly shiny as it is and that really exacerbates things) but like hell I'm ever turning it down so the logo is just-barely-visible or whatever. It boils down to this: yeah, in a perfect world, it would be really cool to have brightness dialed in so well, but in reality I play games in a room with windows and lights and I don't want to gently caress with the settings because everything is suddenly completely impossible to see if I'm playing on a sunny day, or my wife is reading on the couch with a light on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not a fan of the rocket-barrel flying levels like "Crowded Cavern" in Donkey Kong Country Returns because the controls for it are a little annoying. When there are a lot of obstacles to avoid it just turns into flappy bird.

This is the big area where I break away from consensus on this game, I loved most of those after thinking I'd hate em during the learning curve. Granted, the one-shot KO was tough, but the mine cart/rocket barrel world is a favorite of mine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My biggest problem is trying to dodge that final bat's sonar blasts, it's really loving hard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Agreed, I think the bat level is the main exception for me. Dodging semi-tracking shots while not crashing is about the worst case for that type of control.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the idea behind that level but i'll probably just skip it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t have to think about slowing down to stop where I want, my brain just handles all that automatically.

This is in general something that Rockstar seems to adamantly refuse to acknowledge. Their idea of "realism" is "the player has to think about literally every single little thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unless it's "how to approach a mission goal" because by god they'll tell you how to approach the mission goal, know your place.