Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What turn-based game loves to let you wait forever because the enemy team is bigger than yours, can act more per turn, gets to move first in a fight, and wont even let you fight at all because they un-avoidably stun-lock you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What turn-based game loves to let you wait forever because the enemy team is bigger than yours, can act more per turn, gets to move first in a fight, and wont even let you fight at all because they un-avoidably stun-lock you?

Terror From The Deep?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I ended up stumbling into one or two later on. So fair, I guess.
I just wish it applied to the cases where they literally insert quest related stuff the moment you accept the quest.
(Especially since the game isn't shy about only unlocking certain doors/areas for the main quest itself.)

Also I guess, a way way bigger 'dragging it down' that I had kind of forgotten about (especially since I only played the game at launch.) is how every single boss battle so far just drops you into an arena with aggroed enemies.
It's kind of frustrating to do a ghost run just to stumble into a cinematic and yet another boss gauntlet where you -can- do other stuff (atleast after they expanded on the boss fights post-launch, as I understand it?) but you're better off just slapping them in the face with emp and frag mines/grenades than trying to actually skitter around and do anything.

I kinda prefer the dialogue battles you encounter occasionally far more than the actual bossfights.
They're a pretty neat concept, and it's pretty rare to have larger dialogue trees with characters, even nowadays.

Mechanical dialogues in games tend to just be hardcoded behind unlocking a specific quest flag/evidence, or locked behind a skill or whatever.
So it's neat having to push back and forth on something to convince them to tell you what you want to know.

It wasn't until the Director's Cut that they """fixed""" the boss fights by adding a bunch of environmental guff around to indirectly kill them with. It was also always weird to me that that people lauded the DLC for featuring a "proper" Deus Ex boss fight, but in reality all that meant was you can sneak past a bunch of mooks to insta-punch the main bad guy which isn't actually all that interesting or difficult.

100% agreed that the word fights are where it's at and I'm still baffled that nobody seems to have followed up on the idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

So you basically want to play as Yor from Spy x Family.

Yeah, I guess so!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

Also I guess, a way way bigger 'dragging it down' that I had kind of forgotten about (especially since I only played the game at launch.) is how every single boss battle so far just drops you into an arena with aggroed enemies.
It's kind of frustrating to do a ghost run just to stumble into a cinematic and yet another boss gauntlet where you -can- do other stuff (atleast after they expanded on the boss fights post-launch, as I understand it?) but you're better off just slapping them in the face with emp and frag mines/grenades than trying to actually skitter around and do anything.
One thing that has always annoyed me about Human Revolution, and which wasn't fixed or altered in any way in the Director's Cut, is how the first boss sneaks up on you in a way that is completely impossible. If you've got the radar upgrade then someone walking up behind you should show up on your radar, but he doesn't and you just get taken completely by surprise in a cutscene. Even without that upgrade it should be possible to notice him but you can't because he just doesn't exist until the cutscene plays. :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's why everyone talks about Cutscene Jensen as a separate character. For he is an incompetent doofus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Men never fail to underestimate women, or something

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Petit Gregory posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch, also a mother game.

This isn't a spoiler, as soon as you try to look down at your feet in first person you see you got a big belly.

Thing dragging game down:

Eliza is a decent visual novel that's fully voiced other than occasional narration and the auto-advance actually works well. However, clicking during auto-advance automatically goes to the next line, when what it should do is show the entirety of the current line.

I started Fell Seal which is basically heavily inspired by FFTactics. I appreciate that the game lets you heavily customise the appearance of your recruits but it lets you pick from every portrait right off the bat which is not always fitting. Also after the first battle a story character goes "hey before we head out we should grab a recruit" and I did but surprise in the next battle they expect you to have picked up two new recruits.
It's also not quite clear from the start how the classes are different. In FFTactics you started with Squire and Chemist - Squires developed into fightier classes and Chemists developed into mages. Fell Seal starts you off with Mercenary, Scoundrel, Mender and Mage right off the bat, and while the latter two are clear enough, it's not immediately obvious what your balance of the other two is 'supposed' to be.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Apr 1, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

the switch port of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth has an arguably unintentional QOL improvement: if you have the game active but your switch still in sleep mode the in-game timer will continue. this means digimon on your farms can level up while you're sleeping or at work or wherever, meaning less grinding overall

now the reason that i'm posting in this thread and not the other thread? it also counts that as time for your 'playtime' on your save file. so i have no idea how much time i've actually spent playing this game but it sure as poo poo hasn't been 300+ hours like my save file says
I have dozens of hours on a bunch of Switch games for this exact reason, it's really odd that sleep doesn't pause the timer

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

One thing that has always annoyed me about Human Revolution, and which wasn't fixed or altered in any way in the Director's Cut, is how the first boss sneaks up on you in a way that is completely impossible. If you've got the radar upgrade then someone walking up behind you should show up on your radar, but he doesn't and you just get taken completely by surprise in a cutscene. Even without that upgrade it should be possible to notice him but you can't because he just doesn't exist until the cutscene plays. :argh:

Absolutely, cutscene-incompetence is amazing.
He gets surprised by the exact same character again later in the game.
I guess Jensen the Genius is playing at a high resolution like me, so he can't actually see what's on the radar, because it's a tiny 2x2cm box at the edge of his vision.

John Murdoch posted:

100% agreed that the word fights are where it's at and I'm still baffled that nobody seems to have followed up on the idea.

Yeah, and retrying one I failed at surprised me because the guy launched straight into a different line. Apparently each step of the dialogue battle can have different lines, making for different conversations. It's really neat.

Also.
I'm now on DE:Mankind Divided. With the digital deluxe/season pass, since apparently it was just like 2 dollars on steam to upgrade.

Holy poo poo the DLC is exclusively the kinds of DLC I just loving hate.
Story missions that have 0 integration with the main game at all, and are just launched through the main menu. (Even the one that was originally a pre-order bonus.)
And 'boosters' that just drop a fuckload of poo poo in your lap and break any sense of progression.

And yeah, the moment I stepped into the tutorial mission, I had access to +4 praxis kits, plus 'elite versions' of multiple weapons, plus probably enough tranq rifle shots to carry me through half the game.
Thankfully I can ignore that, since it's just in a 'storage' tab in the inventory.

It's a bit of whiplash to go from DEHR:DX's 'Every DLC is woven into the main game' to DEMD's 'lol just run these missions from the main menu, but they might contain spoilers, so you should just play the main game first.'

e: oh wow there's a lot of bullshit tie in stuff to online and companion apps, and Deus ex GO and etc etc here.
Did I just forget about this, or have they just been ramming this stuff into the game since launch?

e: "Your rebreather augmentation prevents you from taking damage from gas."
*steps into gas cloud, battery depletes in a couple seconds, Jensen starts taking damage.*
Ah Jensen, still too loving dumb to hold your breath, I see. :allears:

SubNat has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Apr 1, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For some reason AC Unity lets you play during the pre-load, only instead of getting to play the first chapter like other Ubisoft games you get to play all 5 minutes of the Prologue before getting booted to the loading screen. Why even bother?

So are the Templars the heroes in this one? I bet to a series first-timer they come across as pretty principled.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Apr 1, 2020

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

For some reason AC Unity lets you play during the pre-load, only instead of getting to play the first chapter like other Ubisoft games you get to play all 5 minutes of the Prologue before getting booted to the loading screen. Why even bother?
I think on PS4 it's a requisite (or used to be) to be available on the PSN store. At least that's what I remember from the early days, when games like (I think) Shadow of Mordor could be launched but would only give you access to the Options menu and a progress screen. It makes more sense if you consider that it's probably intended to get you started while the game is installing from disk for a few minutes, and not while you're downloading it for a few hours.

There was also a version of NHL that let you play a single game with pre-selected teams while it was downloading/installing, but even if the install was complete you never got the option to progress to the full game until you re-launched, which was confusing for a few people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason AC Unity does a real poor job of explaining anything about the French Revolution. So you spend all your time running around with no context to how anything you're doing is connected.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A general thing that I always dread in Nintendo platformers - does anyone else hate Boo Houses in the Mario franchise? They always have a massive difficulty spike due to annoying enemies and sometimes confusing puzzles that make you take far too long to get through the level.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I know about Unity is that the main campaign is complete guff, but it's also the only way to experience the Notre Dame cathedral on account of the real deal being costa-del-blowfried.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For some reason AC Unity does a real poor job of explaining anything about the French Revolution. So you spend all your time running around with no context to how anything you're doing is connected.
Don't they end up saying the revolution was a Templar plot to destroy the poor noble aristocracy lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't they end up saying the revolution was a Templar plot to destroy the poor noble aristocracy lol

It’s been a long time but my memory is that they went way out of their way to not show either side as the good or bad guys. Like both the Assassins and Templars had agents on both sides of the revolution working to make sure that their organization comes out ahead regardless of how the power struggle plays out.

Which is honestly a more interesting way of doing the battling secret societies influencing history than just “one group is on this side, the other group is on the other” but it was clearly just done to avoid accusations of being political

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
AC Unity is utterly incoherent on politics.

In the main campaign the Revolution is mostly controlled by a breakaway Templar faction and extremists, while the leader of the Assassins is secretly a monarchist. The Templars feel that the chaos of the revolution and the dissolution of the old structures will let them take control. The main character expresses a view on the revolution once, and it's a very mild "maybe the people have a point, I dunno".

Meanwhile most of the side-missions (especially the co-op stuff) have you aiding the revolution and killing either monarchists or revolutionary extremists, except there's one mission where you investigate the a murder and discover the person did it because the victim was a revolutionary extremist. You have the culprit arrested.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Like all video game protagonists, you'll do anything that's asked of you for a trivial amount of money and some experience points. You're not on any side save for that of increasing your own personal power.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metal Gear had Gulf-war vets with DNA grafted onto them, a Gundam involved in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, a prescient examination of post-truth propaganda, and an overweight WW2 hero who could summon bees. While these games probably offended everybody at some point (breathes through her skin), they never felt too wishy-washy when it came to politics, and could settle on a stance (nukes are bad).

AC Origins annoyed me for how focused it gets Roman matters in the endgame, to the point it has nothing to do with the main character and his vendetta and you're actually playing a different character. It's like if there was a Superman movie where Superman gets shoved off the screen in the last ten minutes so we can focus on Batman fighting the Joker instead.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Apr 1, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sounds like any game in an historical setting from Tecmo Koei, although I feel like Musou tends to do a somewhat better job than Nioh.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Metal Gear had Gulf-war vets with DNA grafted onto them, a Gundam involved in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, a prescient examination of post-truth propaganda, and an overweight WW2 hero who could summon bees. While these games probably offended everybody at some point (breathes through her skin), they never felt too wishy-washy when it came to politics, and could settle on a stance (nukes are bad).

And don’t forget “she looks twelve but she’s actually sixteen but she’s actually 28 so it’s ok to ogle her in a bikini” Paz.

Who got blown up by a bomb vagina after being forced into sex with her child soldier best friend whom she betrayed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elfface posted:

Like all video game protagonists, you'll do anything that's asked of you for a trivial amount of money and some experience points. You're not on any side save for that of increasing your own personal power.

Connor in AC3 has a transactional relationship with the Revolutionaries but the game still manages to have a coherent political position (revolution was good but still had a hosed up position on slavery).

Unity's trying to say something about political extremism but completely botches it. I'm struggling to think of a sympathetic revolutionary character in the main campaign.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AC Origins annoyed me for how focused it gets Roman matters in the endgame, to the point it has nothing to do with the main character and his vendetta and you're actually playing a different character. It's like if there was a Superman movie where Superman gets shoved off the screen in the last ten minutes so we can focus on Batman fighting the Joker instead.

For some reason despite the name being "Origins" the main character doesn't give a poo poo about the actual founding of the Assassin order. So in order to do that they just kind of shove in that ending with his wife, who was the actual founder. It was such a weird choice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Having the follow-up game to "Origins" being a prequel set even further in the past remains hilarious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe the working title was "Osiris". Origins is such a poo poo-subtitle because of overuse and the mere sound of it spells "underwhelming cash-grab prequel". Same goes for Revelations, where nothing new is revealed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins is the only time I can think of where "Origins" worked as a subtitle because the titular origins were a huge part of the fun of the game.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Uncharted 4: How can Sam die during chapter 5 if it did not actually happen?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i never played it but i hope rayman origins explained the origin of rayman's weird limb situation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mamkute posted:

Uncharted 4: How can Sam die during chapter 5 if it did not actually happen?

Uncharted 4, why exactly does Nate not use a grappling hook for the like 10 years he thought Sam was dead? It would have been very helpful during his previous adventures.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dragon Age: Origins is the only time I can think of where "Origins" worked as a subtitle because the titular origins were a huge part of the fun of the game.

When that game was first being marketed before its release I thought it looked cool, so I spent a while trying to find the first game in the series because I figured the “Origins” meant that it was a prequel to something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Yeah I did not give a poo poo about anything that happened with Bayeks wife. Not to say that I wouldn't have rather played a game featuring her, but telling people to get invested in her plot despite spending maybe like 15 minutes with her up to that point was dumb.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

A general thing that I always dread in Nintendo platformers - does anyone else hate Boo Houses in the Mario franchise? They always have a massive difficulty spike due to annoying enemies and sometimes confusing puzzles that make you take far too long to get through the level.

The auto scrollers annoyed me more. Just doesn't feel as Mario to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

I feel like maybe the reason I'm fine with them is because the first big one for me (which might not necessarily be the first depending on if you count SMB3 forts as Boo Houses) is Big Boo's Haunt in Mario 64, which is probably the mildest one so it acts as a really good introduction.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Who got blown up by a bomb vagina after being forced into sex with her child soldier best friend whom she betrayed.

The reference to that in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is kiiind of hosed up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I refuse to be happy no matter what.

I've had Crash Team Racing for like almost half a year so that was all I've played of kart racers but the tracks are mostly boring on the whole IMO.

But then I get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the tracks and music are much better but I find that I liked the Crash Bandicoot characters more?

And then it turns out aw gently caress I like things from both of them but they don't mix. I like how in CTR the kart parts were just cosmetic, driving a go kart or hoverboard, neither one affected how you drove and you could change how everyone played- Classic, Turn, Drift, Speed- by just turning an option in a menu. And honestly I liked how that one played better.

But the tracks and music are way better in Mario Kart! I wish it played like CTR I suppose. I'm not a fan of everything having stats so you can't really mix and match things you wanna use. Also I wish that going into the grass or whatever didn't make you lose your drift boost.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Having the follow-up game to "Origins" being a prequel set even further in the past remains hilarious.

Rayman: Origins showed Rayman being created in the trailer. The scene never appeared in the game, there are no references to the past, and it took place later than any other game in the series until Legends was released.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I believe the working title was "Osiris". Origins is such a poo poo-subtitle because of overuse and the mere sound of it spells "underwhelming cash-grab prequel". Same goes for Revelations, where nothing new is revealed.

Given the Ezio storyline deals with the pope and religion an awful lot wouldn't revelations make sense because it's the ending, much like how revelations is the last book of the bible?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vandar posted:

The reference to that in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is kiiind of hosed up.

Fun for all the family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Revelations also has the least assassinations of any of the ACs that I've played (i think its literally just one? and you get the wrong dude anyway) so the title is a double-lie.

I'm dubious about its Creed content too.