Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for all the good advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Heh

https://twitter.com/KenForkish/status/1245434863336882176

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

If you keep at room temp, whole wheat flour starters are much more prone to spoilage, especially if you freshly mill the flour, I find. Not saying this to scare anyone off, just they require more minding.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I found a reliable source for King Arthur and Gold Medal flours.

Its a store called "BJ's Wholesale Club" which as far as I can tell is like a local costco-membership-warehouse sort of thing on the east coast.

They have a website and will give you a 1-day online pass for free to shop there, with the option of a 10 dollar online-only 1 year pass.

I have no affiliation with the place and had never even heard of it but was scouring the internet for flour to be delivered and came across it. I found it and placed my order yesterday and it shipped today.

https://www.bjs.com/search/flour/q

I apologize if we're not meant to post stuff like this in here but I figured people would like to know if they've had trouble finding flour online.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Made my very first ever sourdough bread today after taking care of the baby starter all of last week.

Used the America's Test Kitchen almost-no-knead recipe which works a charm. I kinda skipped the 15-20 kneads they recommend in terms of more shaping and getting a taut skin. I really did look like a boule before I proofed it. So next time I shall knead.

The crust is super crunchy, it's nice and chewy and has a very pleasant sourdough taste though. Super happy. Plus a flatter bread just means more crust.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Made my very first ever sourdough bread today after taking care of the baby starter all of last week.

Used the America's Test Kitchen almost-no-knead recipe which works a charm. I kinda skipped the 15-20 kneads they recommend in terms of more shaping and getting a taut skin. I really did look like a boule before I proofed it. So next time I shall knead.

The crust is super crunchy, it's nice and chewy and has a very pleasant sourdough taste though. Super happy. Plus a flatter bread just means more crust.

Looks great!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got a no-knead rising in my microwave at the moment from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

This is my first bread ever oh dear :ohdear:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone have a good recipe for a simple rye bread? Here's what I have on hand:

About a cup of bread flour
Unlimited AP flour
Couple of pounds of rye flour
Sugar
Salt
Honey
Caraway seeds
Instant yeast

I've got a stand mixer, baking stone, and large dutch oven.

Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A local market is delivering baking goods, which is cool, so I had a 5 lb bag of all purpose flour delivered along with some other stuff (finally got a big bag of sugar!)

Looking at it now I realize they gave me self rising flour. I’m not going to make them take a trip or go out myself to replace one item. Can I use this and just cut down the salt called for in recipes?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

A local market is delivering baking goods, which is cool, so I had a 5 lb bag of all purpose flour delivered along with some other stuff (finally got a big bag of sugar!)

Looking at it now I realize they gave me self rising flour. I’m not going to make them take a trip or go out myself to replace one item. Can I use this and just cut down the salt called for in recipes?

Self Rising has baking soda and baking powder pre-blended in.
I think it'd be better off in only chemically leavened baked goods.
Cookies, pancakes, drop biscuits, beer bread, etc vs any yeasted breads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve wanted to get into sweeter stuff on the side like cookies, guess I’ll just do that :goleft:

E: I could probably do banana bread with this then, yeah? I’ve been obsessed with keeping banana bread stocked after not having it in like 15 years.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 2, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Unlimited AP flour
Sugar
Salt
Honey
Caraway seeds
Instant yeast

Thanks!

Experiment. Breads are very forgiving. Try half rye and half AP, add 65% water by weight of flour, 2.5% salt, and a tip of yeast. Rye doughs are very sticky, so don’t be concerned if you notice that. You could follow a no-knead style, or not, let it rise for a few hours, or put it in the fridge and bake it tomorrow.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is kind of a far shot but I figure I'd still try: Do any of you have a suggestion for a misting nozzle that can take high temperatures? I want to use one in a plug door for my wood-fired oven. I want something that can help me inject some steam into the main chamber. I'm thinking it I need to be able to adjust it from outside and that it should generally use a slower flow rate. On the other hand, if there's a standard for this, I'm probably better of using that, but I'm ignorant of what is used in the normal baking trade.

A dutch oven of boiling water might suffice with the plug installed but I'm totally cool with overkill here. It definitely wasn't enough without a plug.

I will probably experiment with a cedar one soaked in water, but I know I'll eventually probably set it on fire.

You can get virtually anything you want for projects like this at McMaster. They aren't particularly cheap, but you can see what is out there and look for another vendor, or be lazy and spend the cash.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Experiment. Breads are very forgiving. Try half rye and half AP, add 65% water by weight of flour, 2.5% salt, and a tip of yeast. Rye doughs are very sticky, so don’t be concerned if you notice that. You could follow a no-knead style, or not, let it rise for a few hours, or put it in the fridge and bake it tomorrow.

Yeah. Be aware that rye dough is like concrete and you’re not going to get much rise.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’ve wanted to get into sweeter stuff on the side like cookies, guess I’ll just do that :goleft:

E: I could probably do banana bread with this then, yeah? I’ve been obsessed with keeping banana bread stocked after not having it in like 15 years.

If the recipe calls for baking soda/powder, just omit it and carry on.

For example a bananer bread.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/classic-banana-bread-recipe.html

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

bartlebee posted:

This was pretty much my thought process as well. Replace the milk fat with another type. I used a couple of eggs and a little more butter and will let it rise for a couple hours then probably fridge it until tomorrow. With refrigerated dough, do y’all let it come to room temperature before shaping and baking? I’ve done this before but I put too much time in between bread baking kicks and always forget; I should start taking better notes.

I shaped the cold dough in a Pullman loaf pan and it’s been rising for about four hours from cold. It’s just about where it should be above the pan but when I touched it it had a big air bubble on the top! I pierced the bubble and let the air out and left it to continue rising; the dough under it felt like it had risen correctly. We’ll see how this turns out. :ohdear:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I babka'd

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I also had a piece.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy cow that looks good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I also had a piece.

gently caress yeah that looks great. Wanna toast that and spread butter on top because excess is gratifying in the age of covid

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I also had a piece.

yes please

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
People are really making a run on flour, huh? It's up there with toilet paper in scarcity, my local mill sells out their entire production every Monday morning.

So, every loaf is even more precious now. Here's FWSY's Overnight Country Blonde, with my new baby son:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Like everybody else in America, I've gone back to bread baking. I used to make a lot of bread, but the effort of kneading wore me out. I'm better now. Anyway, I picked up two new-to-me techniques that gave a gorgeous oven spring and crust.

1. Clay bread cloche. I lucked into a clay Romertopf at a thrift store, and I am treating it as if made of fairy wings. Soak just the top lid, and you get all the steam your crust could hope for.
2. Cold-oven baking. No, really. Do your second rising in the pot you usually use for Lahey's no-knead bread. Cold oven baking. When risen, slash, cover, and put into a cold oven. Set oven to 450/425 if you have a convection oven. The oven spring is amazing, and you don't lose any of the rise when transferring from bannetons/bowl to the final pot. I was skeptical, but I tried it and am sold.

The first time around I lined the pan with parchment; this time I forgot didn't bother. Will report back if it turns out it would have been necessary.

In unrelated news, the three different "use up your sourdough discard" recipes I tried were disasters. (King Arthur flour blueberry muffins, somebody else's blueberry crumb cake, somebody else's sourdough tortillas.) I think I'm going to stick to waffles or pancake batter from here on.

Awww. What a fine baby. When he gets older I am sure he'll want to help knead; we have a picture of my toddler being held in the air with her hands above the dough.

e: Yeah, should have used the parchment. Melted a plastic spatula freeing the bread from the pot. Oops. Still pretty, though.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 3, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The only sandwich my kids eat is peanut butter sandwiches.

Except now they have decided they will eat pita with stuff in it.

Gonna make a mess o pita bread tomorrow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In unrelated news, the three different "use up your sourdough discard" recipes I tried were disasters. (King Arthur flour blueberry muffins, somebody else's blueberry crumb cake, somebody else's sourdough tortillas.) I think I'm going to stick to waffles or pancake batter from here on.

Give this a shot.

*edit*
This isn't using up discarded starter as much as making new levain, but you could just use discarded starter and dry yeast.

Stringent posted:

So I just made sourdough donuts, and holy poo poo. I mostly followed this recipe: http://www.mydailysourdoughbread.com/three-reasons-try-making-fluffy-sourdough-doughnuts/ I skipped the rum and some other stuff, but I followed most of it. Then because of events I had to do a retarded ferment in the fridge all day. I highly, highly recommend that. The sourness of the dough matched against a basic sugar glaze and the oil from frying. God drat.

Seriously do yourself a favor and make some sourdough donuts, they are amazing.

This crumb shot does not look even a bit as fluffy as the donut was. Straight up the best donut I've ever had.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2020

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Unlimited AP flour
Sugar
Salt
Honey
Caraway seeds
Instant yeast

Thanks!
You’ve basically listed the ingredients for a good Russian-style black bread. If you have some vinegar and dark chocolate on hand you’ve got a winner. I’ve been meaning to try this recipe for a while and I think I’ll be giving it a shot this weekend, with some tweaks for what I have around the house as well:
LA Times Black Russian Rye Bread

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is a fascinating kneading technique. Ten minutes of it would count as your aerobics for the day, too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

made w/ some rye and buckwheat flours in the spirit of the apocalypse and because haha I might actually need to stretch the wheat flour a bit just like the olden days

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

poverty goat posted:

made w/ some rye and buckwheat flours in the spirit of the apocalypse and because haha I might actually need to stretch the wheat flour a bit just like the olden days

I'm sure you gave your helper in the background some.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Gonna make a mess o pita bread tomorrow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

aw yeah lookit dem puffs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh niiiice. What's your recipe for pitas?

My first few sourdough loaves have been tasty but too fine-textured: fine as sandwich bread. I tried leaving the dough more lax/sticky, and it opened the grain some but not a lot; none of those nice big eyes left by bubbles. This has been an issue both with cold-baked bread and with bread-stone bread with steam spritzing.

Is it likely that I'm not letting the second rise run long enough? That I'm overhandling the bread in transferring it from peel to oven? Other?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That one was a Cooks Illustrated recipe but I’ve made the serious eats one before and is really good also.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/perfect-pita-bread-recipe.html

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Murgos posted:

That one was a Cooks Illustrated recipe but I’ve made the serious eats one before and is really good also.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/perfect-pita-bread-recipe.html

Stealing the poo poo out of this.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

poverty goat posted:

I've got oat flour, lentil flour and potato flakes for my flour extenders

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Stealing the poo poo out of this.

You'll love 'em, they are so good.

You really need a pizza stone or baking steel though for them to come out really good. Though you could probably get away with a cast iron pan and do them one at a time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

You'll love 'em, they are so good.

You really need a pizza stone or baking steel though for them to come out really good. Though you could probably get away with a cast iron pan and do them one at a time.

You can; I’ve done it, though it’s easier with a stone, steel, or griddle.

I found the key to success for pita was rolling them thin enough then leavin to rise just a smidge before baking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I got my husband a propane-fired high-temperature pizza oven for Christmas. I was planning on naan, but pita sound fabulous, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can you use Marmite instead of plain powdered yeast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Can you use Marmite instead of plain powdered yeast?

Unfortunately marmite is more like yeast stock, they culture yeast and then kill them off to get their savory bits. Gotta use yeast (dried or cake or whatever) or sourdough unfortunately!