Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
During the pandemic isolation Osprey Publishing is giving out a bunch of free Ebooks on historical military tactics:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Free_eBooks_week_1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I finally put in the time to learn Wing Leader. It's not a long rulebook, but a lot of the concepts and terms were foreign to me and took a while to click.

Now, I only played through the "Tyger, Tyger!" scenario, but it seems very... swingy? Like, I had two fighters, and each of them broke after one combat each where they were attacking and scored no hits. Seems super RNG heavy. Am I missing something or is that just the nature of the game? Oh well, RNG heavy games work well for playing solo!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Felt that way when I did a tutorial mission/scenario on the forums some time back. Honestly, I appreciate it and it lends well to replayability.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Played through the old SPI Marengo.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Played through the old SPI Marengo.

Cool! What were the victory conditions and who won? Looks like the Austrians?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yellow is the Austrians, Blue is the French. The idea is that whoever can cause X points of casualties and then hold Marengo wins... I forgot about the "have a presence in Marengo" condition, so by the rule of the wording, it's probably a draw, but I'm going to consider it an Austrian win.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Yeah, I figured the Austrians won because Napoleon failed to hold Marengo, but it also looked like a lot of losses on both sides.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Broadway Cannabis Market is a really good dispensary, a few blocks west of the Steel Bridge. Stock up so you don't have to go often :(

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Broadway Cannabis Market is a really good dispensary, a few blocks west of the Steel Bridge. Stock up so you don't have to go often :(

:D Supply check

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Here's Volko explaining how to design a COIN game for 2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfLZE_NTRI

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

drat if only he had made that video before Liberty of Death was given the green light

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQmOHaSogA

I made a thing

Not sure how long it'll go on for, but hopefully it'll be a nice playthrough of my online OCS game with Tekopo. I'm not going to do a livestream because that's just tedious for everyone involved, so will focus on recounting the exciting stuff and my planning

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me, blackmongoose and DJ Dizzy also started a new game of TK, with me as the WAllies, Dizzy as the Russians and BM as the Germans. So far: invasion of Denmark Norway caused war to be declared with the west, Germans managed to punch through the maginot line and take metz, and we are at the end of 1939. Fun so far!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I need to get into VASSAL. Would original Squad Leader or AH's Anzio be a good starting point ?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why Squad Leader vs Advanced Squad Leader?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

:D Supply check

I wondered where that post went lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gently caress it, I have some old wargames picked up for free from years ago, I'll see if I can learn some solo and take pictures.

Gonna run through scenario 1 of Tobruk and see how this goes, the first scenario has literally two pages of AH rules so it should be pretty easy, I already read them and nothing seems hard at all.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Update on the TK game with me, blackmongoose and DJ Dizzy: France has fallen, fighting in the street of Oslo but the BFF manages to bloody the noses of the germans although takes a blow as well, Italy joins the war on the German side after seeing what happens to France. Meanwhile, in the East, Russia has taken the Baltic States, Bassarabia and Eastern Poland while under Nazi-Soviet Pact, and Poland allows free passage to the Germans, and they start setting up on the Russian border, ready to attack. We have reached Winter 1940/41 so things are about to kick off pretty much everywhere.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why Squad Leader vs Advanced Squad Leader?

I don't have a copy of the ASL rules handy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I don't have a copy of the ASL rules handy.

That can be fixed, if you wanted to get some games in

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I wanna play ASL

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ASL Rules situation: Sorted, legally.

And I threw MMP an order for starter kit #3.

So, VASSAL for noobies this weekend ?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I could dig that probably. I'm doing a Seder thing, I just don't know which night

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Shouldnt be an issue, just depends on a specific time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Re listening to Revolutions podcast and now I wanna play War and Peace again

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It was redesigned and rereleased by the original designer, just this year!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah i wanted it really bad but didn't have the money; especially since I have the original :(

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I'm intrigued, but hex maps are so weird at that scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm really enjoying the Dark Valley and just finished turn 1 solo. Turn 1 is BRUTAL for the Russians. Most of their units are 1 strength point (versus average 3-4 for the germans I'd say), the Germans get to ignore all river effects, and the German motorized units have double attack value when stacked with a Panzer division. Not to mention the Germans get like 8 combat rounds in the turn, vs. the Soviets' single combat and then single move. Not to mention hardly any Russian units have ZOCs, so it's just encirclement ahoy.

There was a huge pocket near the Pripyat marsh that just disappeared during the attrition phase.

Very rough start.

Setup

End of turn 1

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6C_DUb_uF8

More of my OCS campaign!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

With me as Wallies, DJ Dizzy as Russia and Blackmongoose as Germany:

First turn of barbarossa.
Events so far: Poland, Romania, Finland, Yugoslavia, Greece and Italy side with Axis
Oslo is much slower since as the Western Allies I fortified it: the luftwaffe is depleted during the attack and thus is forced to start barbarossa with less air assets
France has fallen and as the Western Allies, I'm forced to continue the war in Northern Africa instead
So far barbarossa managed to back less Russians than usual

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Someone just gave me MBT, Panzer Blitz! and Wooden Ship - Iron Men. Are they playable, or will I drown in counters on hexes? :ohdear:

I don't mind a certain amount of salt, but these look pretty complex.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tias posted:

Someone just gave me MBT, Panzer Blitz! and Wooden Ship - Iron Men. Are they playable, or will I drown in counters on hexes? :ohdear:

MBT is pretty playable - the firing procedure is pretty elaborate but it gets reasonably fast as you get used to it. I enjoy it. Is this the new GMT version or the old one?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Tias posted:

MBT is pretty easy to play once you get down how the charts on the cards work. Then it's all right in front of you.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tias posted:

WSIM is great, but learning it at first can be pretty complex. It's best if you can play through one of the 1 on 1 scenarios with someone else who is also learning and just look up each step as you do it. You'll both flail around like drunken idiots but it should still be entertaining and by the time someone's ship finally explodes you should have the rules pretty well internalized.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm given to understand that flailing around like drunken idiots is period-appropriate for Age of Sail era games. Liberal quantities of grog were all that kept navies of the time operating.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and Panzeh are doing some For the People because we both wanted some good old ACW to re-enact.
Current situation after Spring 1862:

1st Bull Run went to the Union and the Army of the Potomac went out there. I've managed to keep hold of New Orleans, but lost both that and the port in Texas so I'm missing one SP per turn. Major battles so far have been me forcing McDowell into my Army of North Virginia megastack, where he lost 3 SPs and I lost 1, but the major conflict at the moment is both Armies of the Tennessee going off campaigning in Missouri, with me winning the battle there. We will have to see if Pope can extricate himself out of that position, but if I get a campaign card it might be curtains for the Union Army of the Tennessee. Should be a pretty exciting turn: the Union seemed to be doing quite steady but the last turn had a couple of big blows against them. Still everything to pay for though, although offensives for me in the East are at a bit of a standstill since the Union has been building forts like no-one's business there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

Ma and pa, it's March 19,1862.

I've been marching around Missouri for the past two months and haven't had anything good to eat in a week. General Pope says he'll get us out of this, but he's the one who got us into this mess. If I die in these godforsaken bushes, tell my little sister I love her.

- A soldier in Pope's Army of the Tennessee

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Panzeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

Ma and pa, it's March 19,1862.

I've been marching around Missouri for the past two months and haven't had anything good to eat in a week. General Pope says he'll get us out of this, but he's the one who got us into this mess. If I die in these godforsaken bushes, tell my little sister I love her.

- A soldier in Pope's Army of the Tennessee

I love that soundtrack altogether too much. I mean the movie too obviously, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

I love that soundtrack altogether too much. I mean the movie too obviously, but drat.

Its funny how the most recognizable bit of music is also the only one that's not actually from the civil war

Tekopo posted:

Me and Panzeh are doing some For the People because we both wanted some good old ACW to re-enact.
Current situation after Spring 1862:

1st Bull Run went to the Union and the Army of the Potomac went out there. I've managed to keep hold of New Orleans, but lost both that and the port in Texas so I'm missing one SP per turn. Major battles so far have been me forcing McDowell into my Army of North Virginia megastack, where he lost 3 SPs and I lost 1, but the major conflict at the moment is both Armies of the Tennessee going off campaigning in Missouri, with me winning the battle there. We will have to see if Pope can extricate himself out of that position, but if I get a campaign card it might be curtains for the Union Army of the Tennessee. Should be a pretty exciting turn: the Union seemed to be doing quite steady but the last turn had a couple of big blows against them. Still everything to pay for though, although offensives for me in the East are at a bit of a standstill since the Union has been building forts like no-one's business there.

How complex is For the People? I'd like to pick up an ACW game at some point but I frankly don't have patience for games longer/more complex than say COIN these days. (Partial exception for EOTS since it's brilliant)

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 19, 2020